Author Topic: Insurance - Change companies or suck it up?  (Read 1773 times)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Insurance - Change companies or suck it up?
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Short version:  I plan on moving states in six or so month which will trigger a change in insurance (new house, new state to insure driving). 

I received my renewal offers and they have stiff increases, 10-20% on all three policies.   I can shop around and probably lower this, but that may hurt me when I go to get new insurance in the next state.

Its probably worth $300 during the six month period to switch, but will cost me hours of getting quotes and talking to agents

DavidDoes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Insurance - Change companies or suck it up?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »
Suck it up.

I can't remember the last time I spoke with an agent on the phone.

Also, I don't know that the gap of such a short period will ding you much. Someone with more experience can comment on that.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »
Maybe its the conscience in me - If I go to an independent then cancel coverage in six months, they get charged back the commission for all the work they put in. 

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »
Why should shopping around/changing now hurt you when you move to a new state?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the input, I'll do some quick shopping on this

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Short version:  I plan on moving states in six or so month which will trigger a change in insurance (new house, new state to insure driving). 

I received my renewal offers and they have stiff increases, 10-20% on all three policies.  I can shop around and probably lower this, but that may hurt me when I go to get new insurance in the next state.

Its probably worth $300 during the six month period to switch, but will cost me hours of getting quotes and talking to agents

Why would it hurt you? All they care about it is how long you have been continuously insured for, it doesn't matter what companies it is with nor does it have to be the same company the entire time.