Author Topic: Instant pot recipes?  (Read 50216 times)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
Re: Instant pot recipes?
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »
I made chili rubbed pulled pork yesterday morning from a budget bytes recipe.  It used the slow cooker function on high for 4 hours.  But I didn't have a slow cooker before so it's just as exciting to me to use it for that :) 

It was delicious!!  My first bite I was thinking "hmm... feels like it should be BBQ" but that's just because my brain was expecting BBQ pulled pork.  I'm going to use the leftovers to try my hand at posole today. 

I have used the IP on average 3-5 times a week since we got it, and every week I've used it at least once.  I especially love the saute feature.  One pot!  to rule them all!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
I used it to make babyback ribs last night!  It's kind of dangerous knowing we can have ribs so quickly.  I basically sauteed onion and garlic in the pot, then made a sauce with that was a little on the watery side so it would be enough liquid to pressure cook and not scorch onto the bottom of the pot.  Meanwhile, put a nice dry rub on the ribs and cut them so they'll fit in the pot standing on edge.  Cooked under pressure for 20 minutes, then took them out, pureed the sauce and put it on the stove to reduce.  Ribs went on the grill for a few minutes to get a nice char, brushed them with the sauce and cooked another 5 minutes or so to get the sauce to set up. 

Really good!  I think next time I'll cook them for about 18 minutes, then open the pot and push them down into the sauce (this wasn't a big batch) and cook another 5 minutes to see if they turn out a little more moist and with the flavor through the meat more.  But for basically taking ribs from partially frozen to on the plate in under an hour, this pretty much rocks.  I also ended up with way too much sauce, so I'll probably experiment with cooking them in a diluted sauce/stock mixture next time and then baste them with the leftover sauce from this batch.

Then to go along with them, I took a cue from Rural and made a big batch of collards with a bit of leftover ham.  Sauteed some onion first with some beef tallow and fat skimmed from the BBQ sauce, then threw in the greens, some chile flakes and a generous amount of apple cider vinegar and some salt - 10 minutes on steam and they were just about right.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:32 AM »
Just used the InstaPot last night to make the lentil soup that I normally make in my slow cooker or even on top of the stove. I sautéed the onion, carrots, and celery in the olive oil, then threw in everything else and pressed the "soup" button. When it was done, I stirred in the warm spinach and a couple tablespoons  of balsamic vinegar. It tasted great--every bit as good as when I use slower cooking methods. And I love that "keep warm" feature, as sometimes family members come in and out and eat at slightly different times. (As much as we try to all sit down together.) Another winner.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »
My black friday purchase got here today... tonight I am making some variation of this delicious looking unhealthy pasta:
http://dadcooksdinner.com/2013/04/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese.html/

I'll probably throw brocolli in to cook with the pasta, and add tuna with the cheese.

I made this last night but used leftover cheese hunks (Havarti, aged gouda, smoked gouda and parmesan) and it is to DIE for. Seriously, serve it with fish and a vegetable or eat it alone and holy crap. So freaking good.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
Does anyone have the older Instant Pot (6-in-1) and use it to make yogurt? I heard rumblings about putting in milk and culture, turning it on to Keep Warm for 15 minutes and then turning it off, and the insulation is good enough to keep the culture warm, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I accidentally ordered the wrong one and don't want to render it non-returnable if I can't use it for yogurt making.

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
I used it to make babyback ribs last night!  It's kind of dangerous knowing we can have ribs so quickly.  I basically sauteed onion and garlic in the pot, then made a sauce with that was a little on the watery side so it would be enough liquid to pressure cook and not scorch onto the bottom of the pot.  Meanwhile, put a nice dry rub on the ribs and cut them so they'll fit in the pot standing on edge.  Cooked under pressure for 20 minutes, then took them out, pureed the sauce and put it on the stove to reduce.  Ribs went on the grill for a few minutes to get a nice char, brushed them with the sauce and cooked another 5 minutes or so to get the sauce to set up. 

Really good!  I think next time I'll cook them for about 18 minutes, then open the pot and push them down into the sauce (this wasn't a big batch) and cook another 5 minutes to see if they turn out a little more moist and with the flavor through the meat more.  But for basically taking ribs from partially frozen to on the plate in under an hour, this pretty much rocks.  I also ended up with way too much sauce, so I'll probably experiment with cooking them in a diluted sauce/stock mixture next time and then baste them with the leftover sauce from this batch.

Then to go along with them, I took a cue from Rural and made a big batch of collards with a bit of leftover ham.  Sauteed some onion first with some beef tallow and fat skimmed from the BBQ sauce, then threw in the greens, some chile flakes and a generous amount of apple cider vinegar and some salt - 10 minutes on steam and they were just about right.

Yeah, it's just as dangerous with pulled pork, 20-40 minutes depending on the size of the cut.  The good thing with the pulled pork is it makes the house smell like farts when you open it, so I don't make it too often.  I just make it once and freeze it in smaller portions.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »
  The good thing with the pulled pork is it makes the house smell like farts when you open it, so I don't make it too often.  I just make it once and freeze it in smaller portions.

Dang, only time I make pulled pork is for carnitas and it smells WAY too good. What spices or shoes and t-shirts are you putting in there? lol.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:58:40 PM by Thinkum »

acinaps

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »
I used Alton Brown's recipe for collard greens. So so good!

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
Does anyone have the older Instant Pot (6-in-1) and use it to make yogurt? I heard rumblings about putting in milk and culture, turning it on to Keep Warm for 15 minutes and then turning it off, and the insulation is good enough to keep the culture warm, but I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I accidentally ordered the wrong one and don't want to render it non-returnable if I can't use it for yogurt making.

Look further up this thread.  Middle-ish of the second page.  I asked the same question and got some responses that you may or may not find helpful. 

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »

Look further up this thread.  Middle-ish of the second page.  I asked the same question and got some responses that you may or may not find helpful.

Thanks!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
OK, sorry, this is not a pot recipe, it's a veggie sandwich recipe. I have made this twice in a week, I like it so much.
The owner of the site is a Holistic Nutritionist named Heather. She sells her service, but gives away a lot of great recipes
and advice. Lots of how to videos.
This one uses Avacodo and Garbonzo beans.
Enjoy!
http://www.heathernicholds.com/recipes/chickpea-salad-recipe?awt_l=IvkBI&awt_m=3gvqrGIOXBWedZW

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I made the world's best minestrone using chickpeas I made in the IP and chicken stock I made in the IP. Never made minestrone before and didn't really use a particular recipe, but it was soooo delicious! And healthy. I put in the stock, a can of crushed tomatoes, an onion (diced/sauteed), carrots + zucchini (diced/roasted with rosemary), some whole wheat orzo and the chickpeas. I might make it again this weekend.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
I made chipotles in adobo in my instant pot this weekend. Loosely based off this recipe but I adapted it to the pressure cooker: http://patijinich.com/recipe/chipotle_chiles_in_adobo_sauce-2/

AMAZING. Only problem is that now I need to expand my garden to plant more jalapenos. I see many more hot sauce recipes to be made this year in it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2016, 10:22:15 AM »
I made chipotles in adobo in my instant pot this weekend. Loosely based off this recipe but I adapted it to the pressure cooker: http://patijinich.com/recipe/chipotle_chiles_in_adobo_sauce-2/

AMAZING. Only problem is that now I need to expand my garden to plant more jalapenos. I see many more hot sauce recipes to be made this year in it.

Do try making fermented hot sauce if you haven't already.  That's what I do with my random assortment of chiles at the end of the season and it is fantastic.  Nice tang with no vinegar and it keeps all year in the fridge.

I'm growing about 60 various pepper plants this year.  Can't wait to make chipotles, chile paste, sriracha, hot sauce and salsa!

jacksonvasey

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
A couple weeks ago we took the IP to our hotel with us and pressure-steamed some hard boiled eggs and whole potatoes, then made potato and egg salad in the hotel room, to go with chicken on the grill outdoors at the hotel.  We did the potato salad just for the novelty of it, but the IP makes cooking on the road easy.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
My black friday purchase got here today... tonight I am making some variation of this delicious looking unhealthy pasta:
http://dadcooksdinner.com/2013/04/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese.html/

I'll probably throw brocolli in to cook with the pasta, and add tuna with the cheese.

Tomorrow we'll try it for quick cooking potatoes, as we're making some kind of potato dish.

Made this tonight and it is delicious. Due to the ability to walk away while it was cooking, and not having to dirty two pots (one for pasta, one for cheese sauce) it was a big hit. Delicious and easy enough my kids could make it on their own. Yum!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
Made nice Instant Pot stew tonight after I found some coarse-ground beef on clearance this morning (sell-by of today, the other packs are in the freezer)
3 phases:
Beef
"Hard vegetables": Red potatoes, turnips, carrots
"Soft vegetables": Onion, Celery, Kale

Everything was cut to roughly 3/4" chunks.

Add coconut oil, heat on Saute
Brown beef
Dump in Hard vegetables, garlic powder, random herbs, black pepper. What, you want me to MEASURE?
Manual, 6 minutes, default high pressure
Come back probably 30 minutes after it ends
Dump in Soft vegetables, Worcestershire sauce and some soy sauce
 Manual, 1 minute, low pressure
Came back 18 minutes after it ended.

Flavors were GREAT. Wife thinks that I should end cooking a bit sooner though.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2016, 06:18:52 AM »
Didn't like the way InstaPot made a whole chicken--it is not tender or falling off the bone--just not appetizing in color. I browned it first, turned it over, seasoned it, pushed poultry button. Chicken not done--I pushed poultry button again, and so cooked it twice. Chicken was about five and a half pounds--wish I had just put it in the slow cooker. This is the first time I have not been thrilled with my InstaPot. I wanted to shred up the chicken for tacos, sandwiches, salads...but it is done, but kind of solid and not shreddable. Any ideas how to make this work in the future?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:07 AM »
Didn't like the way InstaPot made a whole chicken--it is not tender or falling off the bone--just not appetizing in color. I browned it first, turned it over, seasoned it, pushed poultry button. Chicken not done--I pushed poultry button again, and so cooked it twice. Chicken was about five and a half pounds--wish I had just put it in the slow cooker. This is the first time I have not been thrilled with my InstaPot. I wanted to shred up the chicken for tacos, sandwiches, salads...but it is done, but kind of solid and not shreddable. Any ideas how to make this work in the future?

I cooked my first one in the instant pot the other day and used manual, high pressure, and the cook times from the book that came with the pot. No browning. It came out great, not browned, of course, but then neither is a crockpot chicken. I did shorter bursts of manual cooking so I could add potatoes, onions, and carrots near the end of the chicken time, but the full cooking time was whatever it says I the book for whole chicken.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
I misplaced my book, but know it is available online. Thanks--I will try again and follow the InstaPot book.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2016, 09:48:48 AM »
I made potato salad in the Instant Pot the other day - easiest and best I've ever made.  I was shocked that the potatoes and eggs were done so quickly!  This is also the first time I've used red skinned potatoes that half the skins didn't slough off and look icky...

I used this recipe - http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-classic-red-bliss-potato-salad/ - with a couple of differences (low pressure for 5 instead of high for 4, only 3 eggs, yellow mustard and a splash of pickle juice). 

So far I haven't done too much, but other than a fail with rice (didn't seal, apparently), I've been happy.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

Hmm, I've never had that problem.  However, I have found that chicken is pretty time sensitive in the pretty cooker.  You only have a couple minutes lee way in each direction between undercooked and overcooked.  I had to experiment a couple times to get it spot on. 

But I'm not a huge fan of chicken in the pressure cooker.  The skin even if you brown it first is never crispy, and crispy skin is one of the great things about chicken.  The chicken otherwise turns out good, but not great.   It works fine for your use of shredding it or tacos and salads though. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I thought I'd toss it here. Quick troubleshooting for my Instant Pot.

I love my Instant Pot, but when it comes to pork, I've had better results slow cooking rather than pressure cooking. That said, I've had a hard time with my IP's slow cooker--it tends to boil away the liquids about half the time I've used it, which makes me nervous to leave it alone (and kind of defeating the purpose of slow cooking). I use the medium setting--which I believe is the equivalent of low in a regular slow cooker, right? Or should I be using the IP's low setting (which I thought corresponded to "keep warm" in a regular slow cooker)?

I leave the lid on. The boiling away happens on "venting", but when I close the vent, the pressure builds so much that the IP turns itself off. So I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Also, as I mentioned above, this only happens about half the time I use the slow cooker function, but I haven't been able to determine what the x factor is.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Too keep this on topic, here's my favorite IP recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/03/instant-pot-congee-jook/
I also love doing whole chickens when they're at 99 cents/lb. (I don't like skin so the lack of crispiness doesn't bother me).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, so I thought I'd toss it here. Quick troubleshooting for my Instant Pot.

I love my Instant Pot, but when it comes to pork, I've had better results slow cooking rather than pressure cooking. That said, I've had a hard time with my IP's slow cooker--it tends to boil away the liquids about half the time I've used it, which makes me nervous to leave it alone (and kind of defeating the purpose of slow cooking). I use the medium setting--which I believe is the equivalent of low in a regular slow cooker, right? Or should I be using the IP's low setting (which I thought corresponded to "keep warm" in a regular slow cooker)?

I leave the lid on. The boiling away happens on "venting", but when I close the vent, the pressure builds so much that the IP turns itself off. So I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Also, as I mentioned above, this only happens about half the time I use the slow cooker function, but I haven't been able to determine what the x factor is.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Too keep this on topic, here's my favorite IP recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/03/instant-pot-congee-jook/
I also love doing whole chickens when they're at 99 cents/lb. (I don't like skin so the lack of crispiness doesn't bother me).

That doesn't sound right.  Have you tried contacting the company?  I cooked a leg of lamb in about a cup of wine on the medium slow cooker setting yesterday with the lid on and the vent closed, and it never turned off.  I happen to have a glass lid with a small steam vent hole that fits the IP, and even with that not much liquid cooks off over the course of several hours.  It will create a strong simmer to low boil on medium, and a fairly strong boil on high.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2016, 04:23:17 PM »

Appreciate any thoughts.

That doesn't sound right.  Have you tried contacting the company?  I cooked a leg of lamb in about a cup of wine on the medium slow cooker setting yesterday with the lid on and the vent closed, and it never turned off.  I happen to have a glass lid with a small steam vent hole that fits the IP, and even with that not much liquid cooks off over the course of several hours.  It will create a strong simmer to low boil on medium, and a fairly strong boil on high.
Ok thanks; at least I know it's not the setting. I've seen those glass lids on Amazon--I might get one and see if that helps. This is actually my second IP--the first one took 20 minutes to get to pressure, and then one day the lid spontaneously developed a huge dent during pressure cooking. I'm hoping this is due to user error, since I'm way out of the return period and dislike dealing with customer service.

I'm doing a 4 lb. pork shoulder right now on medium with 1/2 c rice wine and 2 c water, and it doesn't seem to be boiling off. Maybe those other times were just flukes?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
I like chicken in the pressure cooker. I just take it out at the end and broil for a few mins in the oven to get the crispy skin. If you do larger pieces (or several large quarter chickens), the poultry setting won't be sufficient - you do have to increase cook time for larger/more cuts of meat.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2016, 11:29:58 AM »

If you have it on "venting", then you aren't pressure cooking, you are just venting off all the steam and your liquid will dry out. Even if you are using the medium setting, if the pot is trying to create pressure of any sort it will boil off the liquid when on "venting". If then IP turns off when the vent is closed either it is broken or you are doing something wrong. I suggest starting with the instruction book to determine if you are doing something wrong, and contacting the company if that doesn't help.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »

If you have it on "venting", then you aren't pressure cooking, you are just venting off all the steam and your liquid will dry out. Even if you are using the medium setting, if the pot is trying to create pressure of any sort it will boil off the liquid when on "venting". If then IP turns off when the vent is closed either it is broken or you are doing something wrong. I suggest starting with the instruction book to determine if you are doing something wrong, and contacting the company if that doesn't help.
I'll go with "you are doing something wrong," (since nobody else seems to be experiencing it) but no idea what. Closing the vent during pressure cooking works exactly as expected, but during slow cooking not so much. Anyway my roast turned out fine (no boil off), so no clue what I was doing to make it boil off those other times. I checked the book, but no dice. I guess if it happens again I'll try to pay close attention to what I might have done wrong--I'll be sure to post it here if I figure it out so others can benefit from my stupidity!

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

Appreciate any thoughts.

I think that low is equivalent to low, as there is a separate keep warm feature with the off button.
I made kalua pork the other day and it was tender, juicy, and delicious. I also always leave it on venting when slow cooking because i thought that was a rule? Now im not sure.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
Dirty Boston Baked Beans &  Rice
This is two (2x) recipes in one!  You can stop at the 'dirty rice mix' section, and have 'Boston Baked Beans & Rice', although I would add more molasses or other sweetener.  The bottom half is 'Dirty Rice & Beans'.  A spicy cajun inspired recipe from the deep south.   Enjoy!.

15 meatless meatballs (Trader Joe's, quartered)
7 cups water
4 cups brown rice
4 cups pinto beans (soaked 1 hour in boiling water)
1/3 cup Marinara sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup salsa (optional)
(Optional) A splash each Barbecue sauce, horseradish mustard, & soy sauce
Plus:
Dirty Rice Seasoning Mix:
2 t. cayenne pepper;
1.5 t. ea. sea salt & black pepper;
1.25 t. sweet paprika;
1 t. ea. dry mustard & ground cumin;
1/2 t. ea. dried thyme & oregano leaves.
Combine all in rice cooker (set for brown rice), or pressure-cooker/InstantPot (30min) or slow cooker (check hourly - done when beans are tender and rice has absorbed most/all water).
When cooked, place in plastic 1.5 pint square (or similar) sandwich containers, and freeze. Fills 6 to 7.
Take the containers to work every other day, and store in the office fridge. 2-1/2 weeks of healthy spicy homemade goodness. Enjoy!
1/2 a container = 1 days lunch.  Total 12 to 14 lunches.  1 days lunch saves ~$10.  Total savings:  $120-to-$140

[use white rice or quinoa if preferred, decrease cooking time accordingly]

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »
This is two (2x) recipes in one!  You can stop at the 'dirty rice mix' section, and have 'Boston Baked Beans & Rice', although I would add more molasses or other sweetener.  The bottom half is 'Dirty Rice & Beans'.  A spicy cajun inspired recipe from the deep south.   Enjoy!.

7 cups water
4 cups brown rice
1/3 cup Marinara sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup salsa (optional)
Plus:
2 t. cayenne pepper;
1.25 t. sweet paprika;
Combine all in rice cooker (set for brown rice), or pressure-cooker/InstantPot (30min) or slow cooker (check hourly - done when beans are tender and rice has absorbed most/all water).
When cooked, place in plastic 1.5 pint square (or similar) sandwich containers, and freeze. Fills 6 to 7.
Take the containers to work every other day, and store in the office fridge. 2-1/2 weeks of healthy spicy homemade goodness. Enjoy!
1/2 a container = 1 days lunch.  Total 12 to 14 lunches.  1 days lunch saves ~$10.  Total savings:  $120-to-$140

High or Low pressure for the instant pot?  Oddly enough, I actually have all of the ingredients for this recipe and I must try it!  (Except the meatless meatballs... but as a carnivore, I'll be subbing in a jar of ham cubes.)

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
Inaya -
before you purchase a glass lid for your Instant Pot, consider trying the glass or metal lids from other casseroles/pans you already have.  My glass lid happened to be the same size as a metal pot lid I already had, and as the glass lid from an old Corning Ware oven dish.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
Resurrecting this one for a question:

Has anyone used their instant pot for a whole winter squash without cutting/piercing first?

I did an acorn squash recently (manual 8 minutes) - but I cut it in half first. Was kind of an effort to do so. Would rather be lazy and cut a cooked squash.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »

Has anyone used their instant pot for a whole winter squash without cutting/piercing first?

I did an acorn squash recently (manual 8 minutes) - but I cut it in half first. Was kind of an effort to do so. Would rather be lazy and cut a cooked squash.

This is a fantastic idea! I haven't done it personally, but am curious if others have. I did find this online: http://lanimuelrath.com/my-new-kitchen-buddy-instant-pot-electric-pressure-cooker-review/

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »

This is a fantastic idea! I haven't done it personally, but am curious if others have. I did find this online: http://lanimuelrath.com/my-new-kitchen-buddy-instant-pot-electric-pressure-cooker-review/

I haven't, but I think you would at least have to stab the squash a few times so it doesn't explode.  I used to microwave them like that.  Haven't cooked a squash in my instant pot yet that was small enough to fit whole...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
http://www.grazedandenthused.com/single-post/2016/09/26/20-minute-Turkey-Gravy-PaleoAIPWhole30

Turkey + Gravy.  I used a regular sweet potato for the gravy.  Made it come out orange, but still delicious.  Super quick too (naturally).  Also works for chicken.

digitalpublisher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

Since this thread is related to Instant Pot recipes I thought I would share my recently published cookbook for some of you to try out the recipes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAVTF21 For the next 5 days I am doing a free promotion (Jan 29th - Feb 2) so if you want you can check it out on Amazon and leave a review. Thanks!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
Hi everyone,

Since this thread is related to Instant Pot recipes I thought I would share my recently published cookbook for some of you to try out the recipes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAVTF21 For the next 5 days I am doing a free promotion (Jan 29th - Feb 2) so if you want you can check it out on Amazon and leave a review. Thanks!

Thanks! I just downloaded it and will take a look.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you. I also downloaded it. I'll definitely try some of these recipes.

The main suggestion I have right now is that it helps a LOT if there's a picture of the completed food item. That way the person trying the recipe can get excited about the tasty looking food, and to also know what they are trying to make their own finished version look like. If you could put 1 picture per recipe in there for any future versions or any future cookbooks, that would be great!

I have a different cookbook that I purchased years ago that has no pictures. I use it the least out of all of my cookbooks. It's not because I don't like the recipes, it's just harder to get excited about them when I'm flipping through cookbooks looking for things I want to make. All of my other cookbooks have pictures.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you. I also downloaded it. I'll definitely try some of these recipes.

The main suggestion I have right now is that it helps a LOT if there's a picture of the completed food item. That way the person trying the recipe can get excited about the tasty looking food, and to also know what they are trying to make their own finished version look like. If you could put 1 picture per recipe in there for any future versions or any future cookbooks, that would be great!

I have a different cookbook that I purchased years ago that has no pictures. I use it the least out of all of my cookbooks. It's not because I don't like the recipes, it's just harder to get excited about them when I'm flipping through cookbooks looking for things I want to make. All of my other cookbooks have pictures.

I think that must just be a matter of preference. Definitely my number one go to cookbook has no pictures (the Fannie Farmer cookbook). I don't want to spend the time downloading, or the paper in printing for a hard copy, a whole bunch of pictures in a cookbook.  If I look for a recipe online, I can't get something without pictures at all, but I would definitely avoid sites with too many big pictures that I have to scroll around.

It may have to do with how people use cookbooks. I don't flip through them for inspiration; for me they're a reference. So, I guess what I'm saying, is YMMV

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »
https://store.laurengreutman.com/collections/meal-plans
I've been using these slow cooker recipies. I take them right out of the bag, FROZEN, dump them in the instant pot, press the button for whatever meat, and viola!!

My favorite set of meals so far are the ones that come free with her email sign-up. 5 great meals that have all come out really well in the instant pot!

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
I just made this Beef stew and it was very good.  The only change I made was to use 1 cup Burgundy wine and 1 cup Beef broth, instead of two cups beef broth.    I will make it again. 

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/instant-pot-beef-stew/

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »
Hello! I wanted to revive this thread and see what additional recipes you have tried in the past years since you've all been playing with your Instant Pots! I wanted one for a while but couldn't justify it because we already owned 3(!) crock pots but we just got one as a wedding gift. Sadly that means craigslisting our least practical crock pot.

I just read the instruction manual and I'm kind of intimidated so will be starting easy, please share any additional links for great recipes. I have never pressure cooked before! 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
Since you revived this...

My most recent IP revelation is polenta.  Polenta is something I basically never make because it is kind of a PITA, at least on my electric stovetop.

So, in the IP 3.5c liquid for each cup of polenta.  I used homemade chicken stock.  Add a knob (1 TB plus or minus, depending on how decadent you're feeling), some salt, and pepper or chile powder if you want.  Use the saute function to bring the stock up to a simmer, then stir in your polenta.  Stir for  a minute or so, then add the lid, cook on Porridge setting for 8 minutes.  Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then open the pot and immediately stir the polenta to ensure a creamy consistency (it will be a little thicker on the bottom).  This will result in a polenta that will set up semi-solid in the fridge.  If you want a creamier polenta, or grits, use 4 cups of liquid.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
I just made this Beef stew and it was very good.  The only change I made was to use 1 cup Burgundy wine and 1 cup Beef broth, instead of two cups beef broth.    I will make it again. 

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/instant-pot-beef-stew/

I'm puzzled by the duration - 35 minutes seems fairly long for high pressure. I guess if it turned out tasty, that's what matters!

I'd be worried the vegetables would be too soft - we cook baby potatoes for all of 6 minutes on high (and then let it natural release) - a full IP of whole russets only gets 10 minutes.

Did "twice baked" potatoes tonight. Initial cooking was 10 minutes on High in the IP for those whole russets, natural release, allowed them to cool on a plate for a couple of hours so the skin could dry/set up. Sliced them in half, scooped out most of the potato leaving a shell, mashed the removed parts with butter, cheese, avocado oil, salt, pepper and refilled the shell with the mash. Put them in a convection oven at 350, but they were more heating than browning, so I bumped it up to 400. Came out nicely. I'll try 400 from the start next time and see how long it takes. Probably add some bacon bits as well.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Love this thread!  Here is my contribution.  Turkey chili - made it again today.  It is awesome!

https://mywifecancook.com/instant-pot-chili/

I usually use 2 cans of tomato soup instead of broth and add a can of black beans also.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

7 cups water
4 cups brown rice
1/3 cup Marinara sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup salsa (optional)
Plus:
2 t. cayenne pepper;
1.25 t. sweet paprika;

High or Low pressure for the instant pot?  Oddly enough, I actually have all of the ingredients for this recipe and I must try it!  (Except the meatless meatballs... but as a carnivore, I'll be subbing in a jar of ham cubes.)

[I'm planning to make this tonight, and by coincidence came across this resurrected thread!]
A:  High Pressure for the instant pot.  30 min may seem like a long time, but with brown rice, I give it a little extra time.  This recipe has undergone a lot of trial & error to make it really work for the long term.

I posted this hoping others would post their personal recipes in a similar format... Ingredients, cooking time, etc. 

All the best!  MFB

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
I made beef stroganoff last week that was really good, and given that I live alone, have plenty of left overs. Ate it all week and still had some left to throw in the freezer. I did it with 2lbs of ground beef (I bought 2 and was too lazy to separate it, plus I like more meat and less carby pasta) and two packets of the onion soup mix (didn't add more salt or pepper). I'm pretty sure that's what I pulled out of the freezer for dinner tonight too.

My favorite is my take on "Mexican chicken," a fairly simple recipe my mom used to always make. Honestly, it's probably quicker to make on the stove top with two or three different pans, but I like the simplicity of the single pot (and the clean up!).

~2lbs of boneless & skinless chicken (I usually use breast, but thighs or another cut should work fine. I don't cut it first, which probably adds more time, but less effort on my part)
1 cup brown rice
1 cup lentils
2 cups water/chicken broth
1 can plain tomato sauce
lots of taco seasoning (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt... am I forgetting something? I'm on autopilot now)
Beans (I usually use white and kidney - black beans don't really agree with me)
Corn
The kitchen sink (just kidding)

Throw it all together, mix it all up in the pot, and set on high pressure for ~25 mins. I think last time I cooked this with thick breasts, it may have been a little pink in the middle, so I cut it up and set it for another 5. Takes a looong time to come to pressure since there's so much crap in the pot, but this makes a ton of food. Serve with chips, salsa, sour cream... whatever you want!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Yum! I look forward to trying some of these especially Turkey chili and Mexican chicken 😀

So far I've made a bbq pulled pork and Mac and cheese, both were delicious. I'm really enjoying the instant pot.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »
Recently used it to make corn on the cob, and I'm a convert there. Turned out perfectly.

Pre-husk the corn. 1 cup water and the corn on the trivet. I think it was 4 min high pressure with a quick release, but husband thinks it was 2 minutes then quick. Hmmmm.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!