Author Topic: How do you manage money/insurance/taxes internationally?  (Read 2298 times)

Jaayse

• Bristles
How do you manage money/insurance/taxes internationally?
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
I just moved to Italy for my job with the military.  I am running into a lot of problems really quickly with accounts and such that all require me to call a 1-800 number that can not be called on my cell phone. 

This evening, in an attempt to keep Capital One from closing an account on me due to "suspicious activity," I called an international collect number from my cell phone.  After 20 minutes on hold, when my call dropped, I received a text saying that I had run out of money on my account.  I went to a vodafone store and learned that regardless of the collect call, vodafone still charges .60 euro for connection and 1 euro for every minute... that was a 20 euro call that did not fix anything.

I have also not received my federal or state tax return from the previous year.  I filed late due to being on deployment, and sent in my returns by certified mail.  I checked and the federal taxes never received the mail, and although the state taxes received the return I still have not been paid back. This is around 5k tied up and I can not find any way to contact them other than phone.

I looked into using a calling card, but they say specifically on them that you can not use them to call a collect number.

How do you deal with these issues internationally???

FireEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How do you manage money/insurance/taxes internationally?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
While over seas for work I used a combination of voip options on my us based phone [on WiFi]. I cannot speak to the encryption level. Skype, magic jack, Google voice.

Additionally you may be able to have the bank call you internationally, using a secure message on their online portal.

I also had my mother on a joint checking account. I would put funds in that account and ask her to write checks for a few bills which I couldn't pay electronically.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:34:50 AM by FireEngineer »

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
I heavily use VOIP and other methods for calling family/friends, but I haven't found any way to communicate with institutions that way.

I tried twitter's @askcapitalone, I tried the message chat, I asked for an email, I tried everything and capital one will only accept a phone call.  I have contacted my mother back in the US to call them for me now that I have painfully discovered the lack of 'collect' calls from phones here, but there has to be a better way.  I also don't think the bank calling me will change the fees from the cell phone company, it would still flag as international.

munch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
I use google hangouts.  Signed up for a google voice number and was assigned a US based phone number (area code an all that) and now when call using hangouts it shows up on caller ID as am calling from the google voice number.  Can call any phone in the US for free including 800 numbers.  Dont ask me how to link the google voice number to hangouts but i didnt do it.  Google handled it.  I think its all linked to your google account.  confusing as heck to me but it works so i dont try to figure it out.

Also, the bank, friends, family etc can call the US google voice number and if i am online it rings on my computer.  otherwise they leave a voicemail and the voicemail shows up as an email in my gmail account. 

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
Does the military not offer resources to help you navigate this? You are not the first person to run into this and I'd be surprised if they didn't have something in place to help.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 02:28:29 AM »
We use Skype while overseas . Also if we need to call 1800 number here in Australia , the institution usually has a number for "dial from overseas" , sometimes it's hard to find them on their websites but they are definitely there . I hope it's similar for US banks .