Author Topic: Insane quote from a dentist - need some advice (maybe from someone in the field)  (Read 16700 times)

wearfannypacks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Just finished reading the whole thread. Relieved you got a 2nd opinion and it was much less work than you anticipated.

It's shameful my fellow dentists can be so dishonest. I'm very sorry.

It might be worth filing a complaint about the 1st dentist to your state dental board. If you have a copy of the treatment plan and records from the previous dentist, that evidence would be helpful. Highly unethical.

curler

• Stubble

Also it isn't genetic. It more than likely due to the specific bacterial populations in her mouth. 700 known oral species of bacteria. An individual has between 75-150 species. Some people have higher levels of caries and periodontal disease causing bacteria.

Focus on keeping those bacteria in check. Google cariogenic vs cariostatic food. 5-6 g of xylitol everyday. Use a mouth rinse. Brushing and flossing won't be enough to keep her bacteria levels in check.

My dentist was just telling me that he thinks that the bacteria that cause cavities protect from periodontal disease and vice-versa, such that the people (like me) who are relativly immune from cavities have periodontal problems?  Is this a commonly accepted idea?

wearfannypacks

• Stubble
    • My Journal

[/quote]

My dentist was just telling me that he thinks that the bacteria that cause cavities protect from periodontal disease and vice-versa, such that the people (like me) who are relativly immune from cavities have periodontal problems?  Is this a commonly accepted idea?
[/quote]

Yeah, it is a commonly accepted idea. It does seem that dental disease it's an either or thing. Unusual to see both periodontal and cavities. Although I'm not so sure one is protective of the other. Why do some people have caries free mouths AND beautiful periodontal tissues? I'll tell you why, their mothers transferred benign oral bacteria to them as babies.

Fun fact, we are all born with sterile mouths. The bacterial populations usually come from mom, as determined from DNA studies.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache

[/quote]

Yeah, it is a commonly accepted idea. It does seem that dental disease it's an either or thing. Unusual to see both periodontal and cavities. Although I'm not so sure one is protective of the other. Why do some people have caries free mouths AND beautiful periodontal tissues? I'll tell you why, their mothers transferred benign oral bacteria to them as babies.

Fun fact, we are all born with sterile mouths. The bacterial populations usually come from mom, as determined from DNA studies.
[/quote]

Due to nursing, or kisses in the mouth, or what?  Very interesting! 

My H has chronically bad teeth.  I always assumed it was due to non-fluoridated water from birth to age 18.  He is the worlds most anal brusher/flossed.  Maybe he should add xylitol and a mouth rinse. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!