Author Topic: Innovator Career  (Read 4581 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
Innovator Career
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »
If you are a naturally gifted innovator where do you go to get paid?

I have ideas that could make companies a lot of money all the time but have no way to cash out on it.. I don't have the money for development or it applies to a business or product line all ready in existence.

Im not saying Im Nicholas Tesla.. Im just saying he died broke and I don't want to if I can contribute to society in a meaningful way.

Any ideas on this guys?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Innovator Career
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
Seek startup/angel investors and start turning your ideas into real products.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »
Or just patent them and sue when someone breaches them.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:25:36 AM »
Awesome man... thanks

Jaxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:51:49 AM »
You could also try to contact some of the big players in the industry which might be able to use your (patented) innovations and try to get a licensing deal.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:53:13 AM »
Just google around for "value of ideas". I'll give you the gist: they're worthless. Ideation in a vacuum without execution is absolutely useless.

If you think your ideas have some promise, I'd learn to at least be able to execute on them to the prototype level. From there, you may be able to get an investor on board. No investor is going to invest in an idea alone.

Good luck!

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
Just google around for "value of ideas". I'll give you the gist: they're worthless. Ideation in a vacuum without execution is absolutely useless.

If you think your ideas have some promise, I'd learn to at least be able to execute on them to the prototype level. From there, you may be able to get an investor on board. No investor is going to invest in an idea alone.

Good luck!

This. Everyone thinks they have an idea that will make the world better; you need to be able to execute on those ideas to see if they're any good.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:20 AM »
I have a Master's in Innovation Management so I'll bite :) One of my professors has said, "The difference between an idea and innovation is the first sale."  Ideas are great and where things start, but yes completely worthless unless you act on them and turn them into viable products or services.

Try talking to entrepreneurs who are working on building their own companies and see how they do it.  See if there is anyone out there who you'd potentially be interested in partnering with.  Know what your end goal/outcome should be (aka have an exit strategy).  Study the innovation process - how something goes from an idea to full scale production.

Incremental innovations are also innovations... improvements on existing products.  They may not get as much attention as the disruptive innovations, but they are still important nonetheless.

James!

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
I have a Master's in Innovation Management...

That is a thing? Please explain.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
I have a Master's in Innovation Management...

That is a thing? Please explain.

Hi there, yes it is a thing :) I think it's beginning to gain traction with all the disruptive technology swirling around these days.  My program was through the local 4 year college which is a big engineering school.  It was primarily designed to give engineers an extra business 'boost' as they were finding that engineers were coming out of school with no business skills whatsoever.  Later it was opened up to anyone from a different background.  I studied Spanish + Sociology in my undergrad, graduated knowing I wanted to get some business skills at some point, which is why I enrolled in the program.  It's pretty much a core business/management degree but with a focus on technology transfer to market/innovation.  The full title is "Global Innovation Management" as the program took place on 3 continents (France, US, optional summer in China).  We worked on projects each semester with external companies to apply what we learned, coolest one I worked with was a French hydrogen start-up that had a technology that would generate hydrogen on-site and my group had to research + present the implications of potential market applications... basically designing a business plan for the company to tell him how to enter the market.  :)