Author Topic: Replace the water heater or keep it?  (Read 2037 times)

Mr. Metal Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Replace the water heater or keep it?
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
Lately I've been looking into ways to lower the electric bill. I happened to notice that the water heater we have was manufactured in 1988. It still works great and the previous owner must have taken care of it. The heat is turned down on it a lot and so is the water pressure. Its also hooked up to a timer. It does not have an insulated blanket on it or the pipes. Should I just keep this thing since its working well..? Or replace it because its outdated?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
Re: Replace the water heater or keep it?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
If you replace it, what are you replacing it with?  I would see no point in doing a like-for-like replacement, but a solar hot water service could be very worthwhile, assuming you like in a suitable environment.

Mr. Metal Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
I would more than likely replace it with a similar electric water heater. I've heard of heat pump ones and they sounds awesome but cost much much more. Its also going in the basement. It usually gets down to 55 degrees downstairs.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
30 years is a long life for a water heater.

How much do you think it costs you to run it. Compare that with a new one. But keep a really close eye on it for leaks, because it’s no fun to have a water heater crisis.

Mr. Metal Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
No kidding. I do keep an eye on it. What does slightly ease my mind is that the room it is in does have a floor drain. So if something were to leak.... Otherwise its given me no problems so far and I check on it more than the average person does. No idea what it costs to run. Probably not as much as the electric baseboard heating. The energy efficient sticker from '88 says estimated annual heating costs are $580 per year but thats based off .08kwh and I think our rate is .10kwh. Two showers a day and dishes by hand twice a week. One load of laundry a week.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »
Lately I've been looking into ways to lower the electric bill. I happened to notice that the water heater we have was manufactured in 1988. It still works great and the previous owner must have taken care of it. The heat is turned down on it a lot and so is the water pressure. Its also hooked up to a timer. It does not have an insulated blanket on it or the pipes. Should I just keep this thing since its working well..? Or replace it because its outdated?

I was forced to replace mine this summer because the bottom started leaking. It was about 20 years old. The thing is you can't always get a plumber right when it starts leaking. Big growing puddle from every water use until it was replaced.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 02:03:36 AM »
It's old enough that you would be justified replacing it before it starts leaking. The replacement will also certainly have more insulation to comply with modern standards. While you're at it, go ahead and insulate the pipes, the first few feet coming out of the tank being the most important.