Author Topic: Inexpensive romantic long weekend vacation ideas from NYC?  (Read 5114 times)

Genevieve

• Bristles
Inexpensive romantic long weekend vacation ideas from NYC?
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »
Hi guys!

Mr. G and I will be celebrating 5 years of marriage in late July and I want to do something special together.

We currently live in NYC and we have some Chase points saved up, but not a ton. I'm OK with doing some credit card hacking if we can get it together in time.

My mom is coming up and dog sitting for us while enjoying the city herself, so we really can go anywhere. We're planning on a 4 day weekend.

Ideas?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Inexpensive romantic long weekend vacation ideas from NYC?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »
Montreal?  Quebec City?   

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
I should say that I'm thinking I'd like to spend $500 or less.

Also, I've been to all 50 states and most of Eastern Canada so going for the sake of seeing a place isn't as exciting anymore. It's about interesting activities - hiking, history, art, science, etc. I know - I'm a travel snob. :P

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
If you like cross-country ski, I could recommend Lapland lake... only caveat is make sure the weather & snow conditions are good. We go in Feb and sometimes it's way too cold, and sometimes it's way too warm.  A very easy drive from NYC.

P.S. don't stay at the lodge, it's too expensive for you. if you are interested PM me and I can make some recommendations of local places where we have stayed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:49:01 PM by Poundwise »

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
I should say that I'm thinking I'd like to spend $500 or less.

Also, I've been to all 50 states and most of Eastern Canada so going for the sake of seeing a place isn't as exciting anymore. It's about interesting activities - hiking, history, art, science, etc. I know - I'm a travel snob. :P

So you want to spend $500 or less on 4-day romantic weekend?  I'm not sure what kind of romantic trip you expect to take on that budget.
That is only $125 per day, which includes all lodging/meals/activities/transportation costs!

That's not enough $$ to fly, so it should be within a ~200 mile radius of NYC, unless you want to spend much of your time driving.
That doesn't leave many frugal locations to choose from.

The only thing I can come up with is Pennsylvania... either the Pocono Mountains or the Lancaster/York areas.

Even then, you'll have to stay at the Budget Inn and eat at Applebee's and McDonald's to stay within budget.
Doesn't sound very romantic to me.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
I think it's doable on $500.  How about an AirBnB/vacation rental in a beautiful natural area?  Upstate NY has some fantastic natural beauty.  You could rent a rustic place in the Finger Lakes, go hiking, have campfires, etc.  Letchworth State Park is beautiful at all times of the year.  Maybe the Catskills?

Or just go camping?  I think camping is super romantic.  It's actually how we spent our honeymoon.  And our first anniversary. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
Hi guys!

Mr. G and I will be celebrating 5 years of marriage in late July and I want to do something special together.

We currently live in NYC and we have some Chase points saved up, but not a ton. I'm OK with doing some credit card hacking if we can get it together in time.

My mom is coming up and dog sitting for us while enjoying the city herself, so we really can go anywhere. We're planning on a 4 day weekend.

Ideas?

oops, missed that about JULY.  Nope, the skiing won't be so good then. :P

But there are some nice lakes upstate, like Sacandaga. Could do some sailing and hiking, and hunt for Herkimer diamonds!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:51:18 PM by Poundwise »

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
I think it's doable on $500.  How about an AirBnB/vacation rental in a beautiful natural area?  Upstate NY has some fantastic natural beauty.  You could rent a rustic place in the Finger Lakes, go hiking, have campfires, etc.  Letchworth State Park is beautiful at all times of the year.  Maybe the Catskills?

Since you think it is doable, can you post links to the vacation rentals you're describing, that would be less than about $300 total for 3 nights?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »

Since you think it is doable, can you post links to the vacation rentals you're describing, that would be less than about $300 total for 3 nights?

I'm not Trifele, but Northville NY has lots of good, inexpensive lodgings. For instance:
http://www.orendaga.com/pages/reservations/rates-and-packages.html

We stayed there once.  It's basically a motel that has been tastefully redecorated, but we thought it was very prettily done... def a step up from Comfort Inn.  You can do some light cooking in some of the rooms, I think I recall. I think they have a boat and bikes you can borrow, not sure if that is extra charge.

There's also this bed and breakfast: http://innatthebridge.com
Some friends stayed there... nice bakery on the first floor. Also affordable!

Though argh, my reading comprehension is terrible today. You wanted <$300 for three nights.  These places would be < $500 for 3 nights.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:25:21 PM by Poundwise »

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
Ooh thanks Poundwise. That looks promising. The budget doesn't have to be exactly $500, but I don't want to go crazy either.

I was perusing this list:
http://vacationidea.com/weekend_getaways/from-new-york-city.html

I was leaning towards just going towards Hudson Valley in Westchester. Very easy to get there, so low stress, and looks like there are plenty of things to do. This would most likely cost more than $500 though.

--
As an example to researcher1, a possible ~$500 budget
CC points for flight - $22 for fees
$24 round trip on subway for two people to LGA
CC points for hotels - $0
$120 per day for food & fun, including travel days, which is plenty.

Doesn't have to be expensive to be fun & romantic!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Also I pointed out in another thread that we did a camping vacation in Cape Cod for a family of 5, that came in under $550 for three nights, including whale watch and 2 meals out.  Did not include cost of groceries that would usually have eaten anyway, or gas to get there (though did use travel rewards to erase some costs.)

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
[I'm not Trifele, but Northville NY has lots of good, inexpensive lodgings. For instance:
http://www.orendaga.com/pages/reservations/rates-and-packages.html

Though argh, my reading comprehension is terrible today. You wanted <$300 for three nights.  These places would be < $500 for 3 nights.

Yeah, the cheapest room listed is $140/night plus tax, so they would spend nearly all of their $500 budget just on the room.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »

Sure.  For example these places come to mind:

http://ithacabb.info/rustic-balcony-room/
http://www.humblehill.com/rooms/the-humble-hill-room

Both these B&Bs have rooms for under $100 per night.  I have stayed at the first one and it was great.  The breakfast was outstanding. 

Also -- a quick search on AirBnB for a few different upstate towns -- Geneva, Ithaca, Trumansburg -- shows many options under $100 per night.  All are nice towns surrounded by beautiful nature.   

Now the above are guest rooms in B&Bs / AirBnB hosts.  If OP wants an entire place to herself and DH that would be a little harder, but still doable.   You would be talking rustic-cabin-style accommodations . . . If OP is willing to rough it in a tent, then you could get the entire cost of the weekend below $300 easy.  Travel does not have to be expensive.   

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:43:04 PM by Trifele »

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »

Wait...
You can't ask for suggestions using the parameters of a "romantic getaway for under $500," then later throw in enough hypothetical CC points to completely pay for a round trip flight and hotel stay!

Under this new scenario, then I would suggest using your free flight to go to Paris, then use CC points to stay at the nicest hotel.  You could convert any remaining points to gift cards for dinner at the finest restaurant in the city.

Any CC points you've accrued have some cash value.  I use mine for statement credits every month.  So the $ value in cash/statement credits should be deducted from your budget.  You can't use $3000 worth of CC points and say you took a $500 vacation.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »

Wait...
You can't ask for suggestions using the parameters of a "romantic getaway for under $500," then later throw in enough hypothetical CC points to completely pay for a round trip flight and hotel stay!

Under this new scenario, then I would suggest using your free flight to go to Paris, then use CC points to stay at the nicest hotel.  You could convert any remaining points to gift cards for dinner at the finest restaurant in the city.

Any CC points you've accrued have some cash value.  I use mine for statement credits every month.  So the $ value in cash/statement credits should be deducted from your budget.  You can't use $3000 worth of CC points and say you took a $500 vacation.

Right . . . If you want to spend your points, then that opens up all kinds of possibilities and your budget is actually considerably higher than $500 ... To keep travel time to a minimum, I'd go back to my original suggestion of Montreal or Quebec City.

No matter what you choose, I hope you have a great time!

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
@researcher -- this is a forum and not a courthouse? I'll take it at face value that you are trying to be helpful with your comments in saying I might have to adjust my budget.

--
I did mention I had Chase points and was willing to CC hack. If you have redeem efficiently, there's really good value in using points instead of taking cash.

So I'm aiming for $500 out of pocket but I'm flexible because we have plenty of money but I'd rather spend it elsewhere.

I'm up for flying somewhere, as long as it's close by. An eight hour trip across the Atlantic is a lot for a weekend.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »
Genevieve -- how about Charleston, SC?  Direct flight from NYC, super romantic.  Would be tough on the budget, but with your points could be doable.  And July is hot in Charleston -- not sure if you mind that. 

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 05:59:43 AM »
@researcher -- this is a forum and not a courthouse? I'll take it at face value that you are trying to be helpful with your comments in saying I might have to adjust my budget.

--
I did mention I had Chase points and was willing to CC hack. If you have redeem efficiently, there's really good value in using points instead of taking cash.

So I'm aiming for $500 out of pocket but I'm flexible because we have plenty of money but I'd rather spend it elsewhere.

I'm up for flying somewhere, as long as it's close by. An eight hour trip across the Atlantic is a lot for a weekend.
I am trying to be helpful, which is why I gave you two options to consider.

And I am also trying to point out that $500 is a very tight budget for a 4 day trip, unless you are sleeping in a tent or crashing at a friend's house.

Secondly, if you throw CC points into the equation (in addition to the $500), then you should outline what these points can pay for.  If you are saying a round trip flight and hotel stay will all be free, then you can go anywhere you want.  Paris, Charleston SC, Miami, New Orleans, wherever you want.

jwright

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:35 AM »
There's a direct flight from NYC to Asheville, NC.  If you can swing points on the flight and hotel, there's a lot of hiking and sightseeing to do for free and you can spend money on maybe a vineyard or zipling/rafting excursion.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Inexpensive romantic long weekend vacation ideas from NYC?
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
Trifele mentioned Ithaca, NY. There's a TON to do there. Downtown - Ithaca Commons and the farmer's market. Cornell - Johnson Museum, Lab of Ornithology, Botanical Gardens, Fuertes Observatory. There are lectures ALL THE TIME. Surrounding areas have wineries everywhere you look.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »
I like Newport, RI

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
Thank you all for your recommendations. I've spent a summer in Ithaca and visited Asheville several times - both beautiful places. We've both been to Montreal as kids, but probably a much different thing as an adult.

I'm leaning towards Hudson River Valley or maybe even a Long Island beach. Out of the thick of the city but really easy and low stress to get to.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
Consider if you can get to anywhere interesting on Amtrak.  Train travel is fun.

I went to Niagara falls a couple years ago.  Wanted to take the train up but ultimately drove as the train didn't meet my schedule.  Niagara is walkable if you stay close enough to the falls.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!