Author Topic: Inexpensive Car Insurance  (Read 2867 times)

CestMoi

• Stubble
Inexpensive Car Insurance
« on: May 30, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »
I'm currently looking to lower my car insurance payments, which still seem high to me considering I'm a 49 year old female (live in NY) with no tickets in the last five years with an old car (1996 Honda Civic DX) that doesn't need collision insurance. I'm currently paying $327 every 6 months with Allstate, and I can lower my Bodily Injury coverage to lower my rates somewhat (currently set at $100,000/$300,000), but I was wondering how else to get the lowest possible car insurance rates. I've been doing a bunch of online quotes with the lower rates and they don't seem as low as I would like (the lowest so far, GEICO, was about $222 each 6 months). I want to lower my car (and condo) insurance as much as possible. Any suggestions?

I did a search on this site for car insurance but haven't found anything. If there's an article I'm missing, please point me in the right direction. Thanks much.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Inexpensive Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
IDK, I think this is pretty good?  We pay a hair over $500 every 6 months for 2 cars (04 & 06) and 2 drivers.

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
Did you look into AAA? I ended up paying half as much for AAA insurance as I was paying for GEICO, and with higher coverage amounts. You can also get a discount from them for bundling with your homeowners insurance. Also, it might be worth it to take a defensive driving course if you haven't already. I did one online (super easy/convenient) and it more than paid for itself within the first 6 months.

jeastith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »
I've never been able to find a cheaper rate than Erie.  We live in Philadelphia center city, and most of our friends pay more than double what we pay for the same coverage!  Plus, we have our home insurance with them too, so we get further discounts. 

Jeannie

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
That does sound high, but sometimes particular states/zip codes can just be high.  Does NY have a standard rating system?  I used to use esurance in NY and liked them -- see what they say.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:32 PM »
I'm assuming that you are already at a $1,000 deductible right?  Or if something is available higher, I would go to that.

I think the key in your situation is to get multiple quotes from different companies (which you are already doing it seems!).  Also, do you have any other insurances that you can move with your car insurance?  Often you will get a better deal if you move your house/renter's insurance along with your car insurance.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!