Author Topic: Inexpensive car cover?  (Read 2898 times)

Carefulnotcheap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Inexpensive car cover?
« on: December 25, 2014, 03:32:58 AM »
I've got a new car -- great end-of-year deal on a plug-in hybrid -- which I would like to cover while I am working outside the country for 3 and a half months, starting in two weeks.  No garage available.  On line search for car covers reveal that the cheap ones (30 or 40 dollars) tear easily.  Better ones are expensive (200 dollars).  Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Boz86

• Stubble
Re: Inexpensive car cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
We inherited a vehicle that had been under cover for years. The cover really did a job (scratches) on the hood and roof. I'd get one that doesn't do more harm than good (iow, get quality) and see what the instructions say about regular cleaning. Fwiw the cover really protected the interior form UV damage.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
Two random car cover experiences:

MIL got a cheap Walmart quality generic car cover.  She had to put a small chair on top to keep it on.  Otherwise it blew off with the slightest wind.

DH bought an expensive ~$200 one that was "custom" to his model of car.  It stays off and works well.  Need to keep car clean otherwise dirt will embed in cover and cause scratches.

The extra money was worth it.  Sorry, I don't know where he got it.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
The dearer ones are also made of some sort of breathable material that doesn't allow moisture to collect underneath and cause rust.

Carefulnotcheap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Okay, sounds like I have to bite the bullet and go for a good one.

Thanks for the advice!

Returnoftheyeti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
I bought a Covercraft Noah for mine, custom to the car. You can find them on Amazon

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Yes, this is a case where it is worth the extra money.  The cheap ones don't last and they may scratch your car.  We have  a classic car that stays under a cover most of the time, so I have experience with this.