Author Topic: Index  (Read 7634 times)

robdwny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Index
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:30:28 PM »
Hi I have been on the boglehead way since 2011with All vanguard index funds. Most of my friends do not have any index funds. Mainly there into buying a single stocks so when we're out they will talk about how stocks are doing. I have never made money on buying single stocks.Sometimes It feels very boring what I'm doing compared to what they are doing.My whole life I have always liked to gamble some. So staying with this plan is sometimes very difficult.  I guess I just need to stay the course it's done well for me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:44:57 PM by robdwny »

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
Re: Index
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »
Don't be this guy

https://xkcd.com/1570/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:37:07 AM by CmFtns »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
If you need excitement, try skydiving. Don't gamble freedom for the rest of your time on earth to get the excitement instead.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »
I like gambling as well, so I play poker.  Then, i put my winnings in index funds. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
Maybe you could just hold a little money on the side to play with individual stocks while keeping the real money in index funds.  That's what I do.  As long as it's small compared to your total net worth I don't think it will make a big difference.  It might even be good since it will keep you from being tempted to fiddle around with the index funds.   

Just make sure to keep track of the money you spend on trades.  That's basically your expense ratio with individual stocks.  If you trade frequently, you can eat up lots of money the same as if you were buying fancy cars and eating out 5 times a week. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
The last run up has been pretty sweet for index funds.  If you want to gamble. Make the Warren buffett bet with your stock trading friends on who will have more money on 10k you in vtsax or them actively trading the same amount. Winner takes the final balance of the loser

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
Maybe you could just hold a little money on the side to play with individual stocks while keeping the real money in index funds.  That's what I do.  As long as it's small compared to your total net worth I don't think it will make a big difference.  It might even be good since it will keep you from being tempted to fiddle around with the index funds.   

Just make sure to keep track of the money you spend on trades.  That's basically your expense ratio with individual stocks.  If you trade frequently, you can eat up lots of money the same as if you were buying fancy cars and eating out 5 times a week.
That's what I've done, put some money in Scottrade and bought several stocks, mostly REITs,
paper, telecommunications, bank, and oil, they create excitement :-/ Most of what I have generate dividends, which was nice in 2015. I have about 15% in that portfolio.
It keeps me looking at the stock market daily, of course that's not what most people want to do, but I enjoy it.

robdwny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
I think I will stay with playing some poker every once in a while.  When I have picked stocks years ago I pick them almost as a long shot.  Not as a stock to hold for a long time and of course I have lost money this way.  I will just have to enjoy the conversation with the guys and I know I don't have the ups & downs they have every day.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:42:57 PM »
For excitement I buy and sell stuff rather than individual stock, with minimal time invested i can get 50-200% or more return on my money.  Which i then buy index funds with.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:05 AM »
Hi I have been on the boglehead way since 2011with All vanguard index funds. 
My wife & I max out both simple IRA, both Roth IRA also put a good amount in taxable account. Most of my friends do not have any index funds. Mainly there into buying a single stocks so when we're out they will talk about how stocks are doing. I have never made money on buying single stocks.Sometimes It feels very boring what I'm doing compared to what they are doing.My whole life I have always liked to gamble some. So staying with this plan is sometimes very difficult.  I guess I just need to stay the course it's done well for me. 

The great William Bernstein recommends simply not talking about investing with your friends. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:40 AM »
You could make a virtual portfolio.

Or check out the Monkey Stocks League on Weenie's Quietly Saving Blog

http://quietlysaving.co.uk/category/blindfolded-monkey/

All UK stocks, so more exotic and interesting?

Or get more interesting friends?

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
Don't be this guy

(Meta: displaying webcomics without an attribution is a bit of a faux pas. This is xkcd #1570)

I agree that indexing via existing products can be boring. I build my own "index" of individual stocks, none of which is more than 5% of my total portfolio. I find 10K reports endlessly fascinating so it works out. Maybe I'm weird.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 07:43:50 AM »
I want investing to be boring. I want to be able to rely on having enough money in my accounts available to spend each year when I need it to be there. I don't want to have 50 years of anxiety about whether I'll be able to eat in the near future. Not my idea of fun.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
Boring is fantastic. I love boring - when it comes to money.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Don't be this guy

(Meta: displaying webcomics without an attribution is a bit of a faux pas. This is xkcd #1570)

I agree that indexing via existing products can be boring. I build my own "index" of individual stocks, none of which is more than 5% of my total portfolio. I find 10K reports endlessly fascinating so it works out. Maybe I'm weird.

I mean if you just open the image it goes to: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/engineer_syllogism.png
It's linked straight to his site it's not like I downloaded it and re-uploaded it

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
Don't be this guy

I mean if you just open the image it goes to: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/engineer_syllogism.png
It's linked straight to his site it's not like I downloaded it and re-uploaded it

That's true! The artist is specific about how it should be done, though. I didn't mean to get on your case or anything. Copyright and attribution is sort of a bugaboo of mine, that's all.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 08:40:41 AM »
That's true! The artist is specific about how it should be done, though. I didn't mean to get on your case or anything. Copyright and attribution is sort of a bugaboo of mine, that's all.

Fixed it just for you homie... Although I happen to not really care about this stuff especially as an anonymous person in a internet forum in a thread that will surely get buried and never seen again after 2 days. But that is an ethical conversation that definitely belong in it's own thread.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:48:34 AM by CmFtns »

Cellista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
Boring is good for some things.  Like steady savings, and space exploration.

Take Apollo 13.  The public had become ho-hum about moon missions because they were now routine.  Then suddenly there was a crisis, and the public was riveted. 

The engineers at Cape Canaveral obviously would have preferred boredom.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »

Take Apollo 13.  The public had become ho-hum about moon missions because they were now routine.  Then suddenly there was a crisis, and the public was riveted. 

the public was bored with apollo after 2 moon missions?

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »

the public was bored with apollo after 2 moon missions?

Yes. There were an awful lot of manned launches prior to Apollo 13 (6 Mercury, 10 Gemini, and 6 Apollo including two Lunar landings). We won the race, what else interesting was there?

(BTW thanks for adding the link :) )

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »
Indexing is boring.

As others have mentioned, just open up an account and spend 5% of whatever you might index there instead. It'll satisfy the itch to gamble and give you something to talk about. And who knows, maybe you'll make some money there?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
This thread reminds me of the old Chinese curse:  May you live in interesting times."

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 01:16:58 AM »

robdwny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
I think I'm going to hold out and just keep putting everything extra in taxable.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
I think I'm going to hold out and just keep putting everything extra in taxable.

your original though that indexing was boring has nothing to do with where the money is as far as tax advantaged or not.  but WTF are you switching to taxable for.  are you just trolling... pretty sure you're just a troll

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 11:47:28 AM »
Indexing is supposed to be boring.  It's right there in the fine print when you sign up for the whole gig.  Good ole' Jack even admits they're boring.  Systems that work are general boring.  Car crashes, floods, earthquakes are exciting.   Please, for your own sake, find your thrills anywhere other than your portfolio!!

"... I might even call it a boring money account — where you put money in a stock market index fund and balance that a little bit with some bonds, depending on age and so on — and don't look at it. Don't look at it for 50 years. Don't peek.  But when you retire, open the envelope. Be sure a doctor is nearby to revive you. You'll go into a dead faint. You can't believe there's that much money in the world. That's where we fool ourselves. That's a serious money, boring money account."
- Jack Bogle

"My plumbing is boring. It's working all properly and stuff and has been for years.  Think I'll get in there and fuck around with it using a blowtorch and monkey wrench for no reason."
- Said nobody EVER
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:52:32 AM by Kaspian »

robdwny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Index
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 11:57:34 AM »

your original though that indexing was boring has nothing to do with where the money is as far as tax advantaged or not.  but WTF are you switching to taxable for.  are you just trolling... pretty sure you're just a troll

All I was trying to say is I'm staying the course.
I can't believe you said I am a troll pretty damn rude.  I was just posting this to see how other people felt and dealt with this. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:50:32 PM by robdwny »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
"Indexing can be boring."

And how is this a bad thing?

I ***LOVE*** investments that just work given a bit of time.   I ***WANT*** them to be boring and just work.

There are loads of ways to add excitement to my life but I don't want investing to be one of them.

Now that the topic of excitement has been brought up, I think I'll go see what the missus is up to.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!