Author Topic: Income After Accident?  (Read 3577 times)

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Income After Accident?
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:58 PM »
Up until a month ago, I was working as a Tax Preparer, Tax Teacher.

As a result of a car accident, I am unable to go to work for a few months while in therapy.

Because I hate being idle the whole time it's important to know what kind of jobs I can perform that don't require me to leave my home.

Option's I'm working on for now:
  • Starting a blog, which I now intend to do even after recovering.
  • Internet Reselling (Which requires me to leave to get start-up materials)

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
Re: Income After Accident?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »
Get better! Car crashes suck.

Blogging is an option, but it's a slow one, and not one I'd suggest if you need $$$/mo income on a short term (e.g., within a few years) basis. However, if you're looking to simply expend some energy or are planning on doing it for the long term, it can be lots of fun.

Freelance writing is another option, although you really have to crank out articles to make a decent wage at it, from what I've seen.

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
Freelance writing is another option, although you really have to crank out articles to make a decent wage at it, from what I've seen.

Definitely considering this, however as I just came up with the blogging idea, quality content is a primary issue.

Not to mention, I tend to write in pieces and patch it together afterwards.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:21:01 AM »
Is there any way you could do tax preparing from home via the internet? At first glance, it seems to me to be a skill where you might.

I had an accident and couldn't work full time for 3 years. There were a lot of things I just couldn't do. Talk to your therapists about what you can do, and for how long at a time. You can gradually increase the time that you can do things. Make sure you stretch yourself, but that you stop before it is too much for you - after an accident, the body needs to be really well listened to, so you don't take longer to get better. Do you run out of energy quickly, like I did? That's one place where I didn't listen to my body, and it took longer to get better.

I was really lucky that I had a stash and didn't have money worries to add to the depression I went through at the time. I hope you are as lucky. Sure, it meant FI took longer, but I was still alive. Part of the depression was how difficult everything became - work, hobbies, the things that made life worth living. Hopefully you have help with that.

Good luck with your recuperation and I hope that there are some positives for you. Looking back, because there were many things  I couldn't do, I took up other things that I could, and my life is completely different than it would have been without the accident - I think for the better.

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
Is there any way you could do tax preparing from home via the internet? At first glance, it seems to me to be a skill where you might.

While I can do preparations here, almost all of my clients are centered around the Jan-Apr period. As for teaching, I cannot go to where the classes are to be hed due to the injury

I had an accident and couldn't work full time for 3 years. There were a lot of things I just couldn't do. Talk to your therapists about what you can do, and for how long at a time. You can gradually increase the time that you can do things. Make sure you stretch yourself, but that you stop before it is too much for you - after an accident, the body needs to be really well listened to, so you don't take longer to get better. Do you run out of energy quickly, like I did? That's one place where I didn't listen to my body, and it took longer to get better.

I will be fine in about another month. Yes I do get tired fairly quickly, and at my family's suggestion I do not walk around as much.

I was really lucky that I had a stash and didn't have money worries to add to the depression I went through at the time. I hope you are as lucky. Sure, it meant FI took longer, but I was still alive. Part of the depression was how difficult everything became - work, hobbies, the things that made life worth living. Hopefully you have help with that.

I also had some savings in the event this happened. The main thing that worries me is that I'll become a louse in this time. My boss will welcome me back as soon as I get better, so I know I'll be fine once I get better. I just dislike sitting around doing nothing. Not to mention that a lack of work is seriously going against my life goals at the moment.

Good luck with your recuperation and I hope that there are some positives for you. Looking back, because there were many things  I couldn't do, I took up other things that I could, and my life is completely different than it would have been without the accident - I think for the better.

Thank you. I also agree that this does have some upsides. I spend more time with my family, can help around the house (provided it's not too taxing) My boss and his daughter said the same thing when they found out about it.

As I mentioned, it's not the drop in income that bothers me, it's sitting around being unproductive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!