Author Topic: In and Out Burger  (Read 14320 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
In and Out Burger
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
First time in LA and everyone had been telling me that I HAVE to go to In and Out Burger.

I try to eat pretty healthy, especially when traveling, but would make an exception if it really is that important to check it out.

What do you guys think? Anything else I should check out right near LAX?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: In and Out Burger
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Do you like fast food?  If so, you might like In n Out.  If you don't, then you're just ordering some fast food.  It's nothing special in my opinion, but I'm not a fan of any fast food style food.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
First time in LA and everyone had been telling me that I HAVE to go to In and Out Burger.

I try to eat pretty healthy, especially when traveling, but would make an exception if it really is that important to check it out.

What do you guys think? Anything else I should check out right near LAX?
I tried it once. It was good. It wasn't stellar, but then again, it didn't cost all that much.

I'd say just try it if it's not out of your way (sounds like it's not). It's one meal. However unhealthy it is, it's not going to kill you (unless it was grossly misprepared, I suppose, which I do not expect)

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
In my observation, people who spent their teenage years living in California are far more fanatical about In-N-Out that folks who first tried the food as adults. It was a fun experience to have once though, I'd certainly consider it good as fast food goes, and now I have an answer whenever I mention traveling to CA and someone asks if I've tried the place.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
Burgers were tasty, fries were meh. If you're curious about the novelty of it, nothing wrong with going. You might want to check out the secret menu.

However, all the ones around where I live seem to have 30 minute lines at any time of day. If you have to stand in line, it's not worth it; it's just a fast food burger. (Tried to take BF's family for In-n-out and hit lines at both restaurants we tried; we gave up.)

retiredmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
This.

If you try to eat healthy, you will not find anything amazing about In-n-Out. It's pretty high quality for fast food, but who cares? I understand people love stuff from their teen years, but I don't run around telling people they MUST listen to Mötley Crüe. :)

In my observation, people who spent their teenage years living in California are far more fanatical about In-N-Out that folks who first tried the food as adults.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
I love fast food, and I was still unimpressed by it. Basically just burger and fries, not getting what is so great. I think maizeman may be onto something - maybe it is one of those things you had to have as a kid to appreciate.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
It's definitely not on everybody's high-list. A ton of people will call it over-hyped while others swear it's the best thing they've ever had since sliced bread ha ha.

We're in SoCal and enjoy ourselves some In and Out every now and then, with the occasional "need" to fulfill cravings. I'd imagine it to be similar to any other location-specific "fast food" joint (better than national chains but not your mom's home-cookin, if she was a good cook LOL!). As far as comparing this to other fast-food joints though, I'd be careful. It's hard to say this burger is the same as McD's or Carl's Jr. It could be a matter of preference but to me it's like comparing Outback, Sizzler, or Black Angus to Mortons or Flemings. It's probably not gonna be the best burger and fries you've ever had, but it's certainly better than a McD's cheeseburger and fries (unless you love McD's more than anything, which it doesn't sound like you do).

Anyway, just try it. I'm sure you'll come away with your own conclusions and have your opinions LOL.

As far as stuff to try if you're gonna be in LA, if you don't care much for healthy and am willing to try stuff for the novelty of it, there's PLENTY of places to eat besides In and Out. It just depends on what you want and how convenient you want it to be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:42:51 PM by jplee3 »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:01 PM »
In my observation, people who spent their teenage years living in California are far more fanatical about In-N-Out that folks who first tried the food as adults. It was a fun experience to have once though, I'd certainly consider it good as fast food goes, and now I have an answer whenever I mention traveling to CA and someone asks if I've tried the place.
+1

lise

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
If you try to eat healthy, try and make it to a Tender Greens branch.  I know there are chi chi salads all over the country now but this West Coast chain is my favorite in America right now.  (Travel for work, so work pays when I go!)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
It's a hamburger.  The fries are terriBle. I would not recommend going out of your way for the burger. As others have noted it is basically fast food.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
Five Guys Burgers and Fries is better than In and Out Burger.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 06:29:12 PM »
Not a fast food fan, but I've had in-and-out, and it's ok.  I don't understand the hype around it, it's certainly not something "you must have."

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »
Don't get the fries.

Get this:

Double-double, animal style, mustard-fried patty, toasted buns, whole grilled onion, with chiles, cut in half.

Trust me.

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »
I love the fries! If you like shoestring crispy fries, you'll like in-n-out fries. However, the most important thing about the OP's question is the location. The LAX In-n-out is a plane spotter's dream! It's right at the end of the runway, 747s and A380's on final approach right above your head! Tons of fun if you like watching airplanes!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:26 PM »
Are you going outside the airport? I would rather eat umami burger. But not the one inside the airport.

surfhb

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
Tommy's kick all their butts.....just make sure you a day to recover from it all.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
They make a good burger, not "mind-blowing incredible", but its a nice experience.

We have them in Dallas.  You can get just a cheeseburger for $2.40 without fries/drink.   Its an inexpensive solution when you're really craving a cheesburger and don't want to make/grill one yourself.

Its like a Costco hot dog to me - solid food for the price, but not mind blowing.

neil

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
Burgers are fast-food sized but they are cooked on order and the toppings are typically fresh because most locations are very busy.  Bun and sauce are typical fast-food style.

Fries are made from potatoes cut on-site and the oil is usually fairly clean.  I don't believe they use the fryers for anything else.  So the reason they taste "bad" is because they are pretty much lightly cooked potato.  If you like them crispier, you can order them well done, which helps since the potato is fresh.  I prefer the fresher flavor of potato but I still add pepper.  McDonalds-style fries are going to taste much better for reasons you are probably not going to want to acknowledge.

My friend loves the shakes, but I don't know about that.

The reason they stand out to younger people is because the food is very fresh for fast food.  During my always-eat-out phase, it was the best late-night option under $5.  They get a lot of business at all times of the day so it's pretty rare to get substandard product.

If you are looking for a memorable foodie experience, it's not going to come from here.  You might appreciate that, for fast food, it is a pretty clean product.  But if you are on vacation, go find something local to enjoy.  Hit it up if you were planning to get a quick meal anyway and it is not out of the way, but don't plan around for it.

Spondulix

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
If you want healthier fast food that's very SoCal (but good), try Poquito Mas. The In and Out right by LAX is kind of fun cause you're across the street from the runway. Check out the secret menu before you go.

I love Tender Greens but it's actually not as healthy as it's made out to be! Their vegan salad is over 1000 calories!

LAX just recently took out a lot of their fast food/chain restaurants and replaced with local specialties, so you can actually try a lot of unique LA foods at the airport. Personally, I'd rather go hang out near LAX (like Venice Beach) and eat wherever. The experience itself will be more memorable than the food.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
If you get one, you have to eat it right away.  I think what they get so right at In'N Out is that the burger comes out with the patty HOT and the cheese thoroughly melted onto it, while the lettuce and tomato are still cool and crisp.  If it sits for a few minutes so the patty cools and the veggies warm, it's just another burger.  Agree about passing on the fries, but I do like their strawberry shake as a once a year thing when we happen to be near one.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
ANIMAL STYLE BABY!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
Meh.  I tried it for the first time as an adult.  Not for me.

phillyvalue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
As someone on the East Coast, wish we had something like In-N-Out over here. The food quality certainly isn't mindblowing, but in the context of fast food and the price it's very good. Much better than McDonalds/Burger King and the like, and a much better value proposition than Five Guys

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
Don't get the fries.

Get this:

Double-double, animal style, mustard-fried patty, toasted buns, whole grilled onion, with chiles, cut in half.

Trust me.

Yes! +1

Do get the fries, but order them 'well done.'

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:27 AM »
i think if you generally eat healthy food while travelling, it will feel like a bit of a gut-buster for you. I think it's delicious, but definitely not light or healthy.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
I like the burgers - fast food but good. Skip the fries but get the milk shake. Back in the 70s DH use to drive 90 miles to the original In N Out at Baldwin park.  He likes the food and likes to drive.

It's mostly the mystique...regional chain; family owned since it was established in 1948; inherited about 10 years ago by the only remaining family member (then 18 y.o. granddaughter); nothing is frozen (fries come into each restaurant as actual potatoes); limited, unchanging menu (hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fries, milkshakes, soft drinks, period); secret menu so you can feel like an insider; and they pay their employees much more than other fast food chains. 

zoltani

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
A hot juicy Dick's burger is better than the in and out!

jb14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »
And you can hunt for the secret bible references on the wrappers and cups while eating!

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
In California I'd much rather have Wahoos or Rubios over a burger. Just me.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »

Struggling to work out whether this post is about food...

:P

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
.................. they pay their employees much more than other fast food chains.

I'm not a native CA, but I freaking love In n Out.

Animal style is right!  I mean, it is just fast food, but its the best fast food in terms of price and quality.

And in reference to the quote above, I think this is why I love them the most.  We lived 2 hours away from groceries when we worked in a national park.  This meant that all errands were crammed into one day a month of shopping hell.  I'd be all strung out on bad customer service, angry and hot, then then...
*cue beam of light and angels singing*
I'd walk into In N Out.  Kind smiling faces.  Polite.  I mean c'mon, they don't just holler "72, Order 72!" they say "Order 72 PLEASE!".  Orderly and fast. Even with a long line.  I think it may be location based, but at ours they always recognize then a large group comes in and add staff to the front counter.  Good pay and benefits, that's what I chalk it up to.  One Free Meal a shift!  No one does that anymore.  Except you crazies on here who get catered lunch every day.

I'm going to try mustard fried patty next time!

YTProphet

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
Culvers burgers > In-n-Out Burgers

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
It's fast food, better than McDonalds IMO, but it's still just fast food. Reasonable bang for the buck but I don't understand why some think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
Do get the fries, but order them 'well done.'

Yeah I personally like In and Out and think it's a pretty good value for middle of the road fast food.  The fries are totally fresh as you can literally watch them peel and slice the potatoes right in front of you.  It might be hit or miss if you can get them to give you crispier fries or not, but that's how I like them too.  To me, the classic meal of a cheeseburger, fries with ketchup and a chocolate shake is where it's at, and Culvers & In and Out are probably at the top of my list for places to do such a meal.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 05:05:09 PM »
I'm also a fry hater, but the burgers are great.  My order is 2x1 (two patties, one slice of cheese), mustard fried, extra pickles, extra lettuce and a Neapolitan milk shake. 

The "secret menu" does make it interesting, and kind of mysterious. 

zoltani

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »

Struggling to work out whether this post is about food...

:P

Well, if you are ever in seattle make sure to try some deluxe dick's in your mouth!
;)

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
Culvers burgers > In-n-Out Burgers

Culvers fast food place that occupies the same teenage place in my heart that In-N-Out seems to with so many other people. Was so excited when I recently moved back to a city that had one, and it is even in biking distance of my house!

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:34 PM »
Like others have said, for a fast food burger it's good. Double double, animal style all the way. I'm also one of those weird people that like the fries because they have that freshly cut potato taste.  If you like your fries crispy just ask for well done fries when you order.

It's not a can't miss thing in SoCal, but it beats the pants off other fast food burger joints. The one by LAX is the only one I'd call a unique experience.  The planes landing on the north side of LAX go right by, close enough that you can actually go stand in the middle of the approach lights to the runway.

I agree with the comment that the worship of in-n-out might be related to where you grew up. It seems like most places have that local burger chain people miss when they leave and can't stop raving about.  California has In-n-out, Wisconsin has Culvers, Texas has Whataburger, New Mexico has Blake's Lotaburger, and I'm sure there are many more I can't think of right now.

Anti mustachian tip: if you have a long layover at LAX and want to get some in-n-out, the Sepulveda Parking Spot bus will give you a ride since it's right next door. Just tip the driver a couple bucks. Or burn those calories off and walk. It's only about 15 minutes from the lower level of Terminal One.