Author Topic: Impulsively Quit Job with ~9 months F You Money - Scared  (Read 21422 times)

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Impulsively Quit Job with ~9 months F You Money - Scared
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »
I quit a $165,000 a year job today.  I was unhappy with the CEO and felt unappreciated.  Many of the donors I work with called me throughout the day to say they were proud of me for leaving on principle and that it took courage.  I've been riding that high.  As night falls though, I feel I did something really stupid.  I should have just kept taking the money and kept my mouth shut.  I am scared now that I won't be able to find another job and that I have seriously derailed financial independence.  I feel so stupid for quitting on principle when I had an easy job for so much money.

$34,000 in savings

Monthly Expenses
Mortgage      $1,387.00
Condo Fee   $350.00
Condo Insurance    $15.00
Car    $243.00
Car Insurance    $57.00
Cell Phone    $65.00
Electric    $50.00
Cable and Internet    $110.00
Hair    $20.00
Gas    $60.00
Food and Dinning    $400.00
Student Loan    $800.00

Total $3557

I figure I have around 9 months.  I should have a job way before that.  I am just so mad at myself for my inability to just suck it up and work and keep saving, rather than jumping around trying to find meaningful work.  My meaning is to "retire" so that means I have to work but I am 36 now and keep doing this crap.

Any advice on sticking with a job and taking the long view?  Holding your tongue (and nose) at soulless jobs with clueless bosses?

What have I done!?!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Impulsively Quit Job with ~9 months F You Money - Scared
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »
Jerry Maguire, is that you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »
Job quit may not be irreversible...   in case that is your thought, but instead, why not:

Get a roomate,
Cut some other expenses

Good luck!   Be happy you don't have other people counting on you, so it is not a bad decision.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »
PuckDaddy, sometimes you just gotta pull the plug for the sake of your own sanity and self-respect.  You're obviously having second thoughts about your decision, but it sounds like you were pushed to your limit and you really just had to do it.  I think this was brave of you, and since you feel certain you can find a job well within your 9 months saved, your decision is not so bad.  Enjoy a bit of your time being out of that environment and then get cranking with your network and looking for another -- better -- job.  If push comes to shove on your finances, anything you can do to get rid of that high car payment?  Wishing you luck, and I hope you keep us updated.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
You should feel alive, not scared. You can do anything you want now. While you're at it, sell the condo and get rid of the last thing that's tying you down.

You literally have nothing to lose...congrats is all I can say.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:12 AM »
Do you have enough experience or education to start your own business?  You may be quite happy being your own boss.  Do you live in an area where you can walk or take a bus, this way the car wouldn't be necessary.  Can you take a part-time job or full-time job in the area where you live that would cover some of your expenses?

Student loan payments can be put on deferment while not working--will continue to accrue interest, but that would also free up some cash. 

I think it can sometimes be very hard to find work that is truly meaningful.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:38:07 AM »
Now your job is finding a job. I hope you like it better.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »
You mention "donors".  Sounds like you worked for a non-profit?  Maybe some of the donors who support you also contribute to other non-profits and could give you some leads.  Maybe they have enough influence with the board to put pressure on the CEO to work on the things that are a problem for you and you can go back?

Congratulations on having enough FU money that you can choose to leave a bad situation!  I'm sure that everything will work out for you.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »
You mention "donors".  Sounds like you worked for a non-profit?  Maybe some of the donors who support you also contribute to other non-profits and could give you some leads.  Maybe they have enough influence with the board to put pressure on the CEO to work on the things that are a problem for you and you can go back?

Congratulations on having enough FU money that you can choose to leave a bad situation!  I'm sure that everything will work out for you.

That would have to be quite the non-profit to be paying a non-CEO employee 165K per year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 06:16:52 AM »
Quitting a job you didn't feel comfortable doing isn't a problem.  The problem is that you did it impulsively, with no alternative plan.  In your position I'd immediately start hustling for a replacement position somewhere.  Nine months of expenses can go by fast.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »
My meaning is to "retire" so that means I have to work but I am 36 now and keep doing this crap.

This seems key. When have you done this before, and why?

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 06:33:31 AM »

That would have to be quite the non-profit to be paying a non-CEO employee 165K per year.

I have a friend who is a fund raiser.  He was working for a non-profit (think ballet, stage , museum not charity) making around $140K.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »
Wow, I would have thought that through a bit more. Pretty big firehose of money you just gave up on a whim.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
Quitting a job you didn't feel comfortable doing isn't a problem.  The problem is that you did it impulsively, with no alternative plan.  In your position I'd immediately start hustling for a replacement position somewhere.  Nine months of expenses can go by fast.

+1

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »
Job quit may not be irreversible...   in case that is your thought, but instead, why not:

Get a roomate,
Cut some other expenses

Good luck!   Be happy you don't have other people counting on you, so it is not a bad decision.

Thanks Goldie.  Yes, I am lucky to not have dependents.  I forwarded the "last straw" email from my boss to my girlfriend and she just replied "Quit."  So I have her support and she has a very good six figure job that she is happy in.  I have my dog to support but he's a trooper.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 06:51:20 AM »
PuckDaddy, sometimes you just gotta pull the plug for the sake of your own sanity and self-respect.  You're obviously having second thoughts about your decision, but it sounds like you were pushed to your limit and you really just had to do it.  I think this was brave of you, and since you feel certain you can find a job well within your 9 months saved, your decision is not so bad.  Enjoy a bit of your time being out of that environment and then get cranking with your network and looking for another -- better -- job.  If push comes to shove on your finances, anything you can do to get rid of that high car payment?  Wishing you luck, and I hope you keep us updated.

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.  The car is a 2006 Volkswagen Passat with $5000 left in principle.  I believe I could get around $4000 for it based on some internet research.  I do use it to Uber/Lyft in times when they have huge bonuses and guarantees.  I was using that to add a few extra hundred dollars to our savings.  I could potentially sell it though and had been thinking about doing that prior to this decision because my girlfriend has a car and we don't need two.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 06:53:03 AM »
You should feel alive, not scared. You can do anything you want now. While you're at it, sell the condo and get rid of the last thing that's tying you down.

You literally have nothing to lose...congrats is all I can say.

Thank you for the encouragement.  Agree the condo needs to go along with the $350 condo fee that does not buy much.  My girlfriend and I have been looking at single family homes and I was going to propose once we found the right one (or sometime in summer if we didnt find the right home yet.)

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 06:55:35 AM »
Do you have enough experience or education to start your own business?  You may be quite happy being your own boss.  Do you live in an area where you can walk or take a bus, this way the car wouldn't be necessary.  Can you take a part-time job or full-time job in the area where you live that would cover some of your expenses?

Student loan payments can be put on deferment while not working--will continue to accrue interest, but that would also free up some cash. 

I think it can sometimes be very hard to find work that is truly meaningful.

I actually found Ramit Sethi through MMM even though he says they kind of have opposite philosophies.  I find them complimentary.  I have been working on an online business through one of Ramit's courses.  He is very candid though that it typically takes years to get an online business going. 

Thank you for the reminder about the student loan option.  I would like to keep paying all my bills even if I have to use this $30k.  But if for some reason I am still unemployed I will have to defer.  Much appreciated reminder.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 06:58:29 AM »

My donors have been amazing.  Sending job leads and their personal emails.  I truly thought I had business relationships with these people but it turns out there are some strong professional relationships and even some friendships.  A similar foundation has asked me to come visit their headquarters and that would be a lot of fun because they are much smaller and scrappier than where I was.  I am hopeful that it works out as I could work from home and not move.  I don't want to put all eggs in that basket of course.

Thank you for kind words.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 07:00:03 AM »

Our CEO makes $300k per year.  I managed over $800M in donations. 

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 07:04:14 AM »
My meaning is to "retire" so that means I have to work but I am 36 now and keep doing this crap.

I did it about 9 years ago.  I get comfortable/complacent in these jobs and feel like I need the pressure of being unemployed to find a new job.  I also get on these principled stances and typically authority figures don't like people with principles.  Although my boss told me he did value me and another guy who is pretty straightforward and always pushing for the right decision even when it is unpopular.  Then my boss had two tantrums one in person and one over email and I did not want to be part of the distorted reality and rollercoaster any longer.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »
How much is your total stache?  Are you close to FIRE?  You just mention the 30k or so in savings.  I hope on that salary and those expenses that you are sitting on several hundred K and you are just freaking out right now.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:33 AM »
Congratulations on taking a stand!  The employers can be ridiculous.  You helped push up the "quit rate" which seems to be pretty frozen!

I have 2 suggestions:

1.  Eating out:  Fagetaboudit!
2.  Do your job search activities during business hours and drive for Uber (being that you have a car and are already setup) at other times.  This might help sustain you if your search is prolonged.  However if Uber sux where you live, maybe ditch the car.

Best of luck!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:04:00 AM by frugaliknowit »

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 09:12:08 AM »
How much is your total stache?  Are you close to FIRE?  You just mention the 30k or so in savings.  I hope on that salary and those expenses that you are sitting on several hundred K and you are just freaking out right now.

Unfortunately this is my bare bones budget going forward.  I have been part of the consumer spending class up until recently and after reading MMM from start to finish.  I found an awesome girlfriend around the same time who was frugal by nature and agrees with most of MMM (but not all).  So I only have about $125k in my retirement accounts and that is all from saving the last year basically.  Before that I had busted a retirement account to pay partially for grad school and then my next job didint offer one and I didnt contribute to IRA.  Lots of mistakes.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
Congratulations on taking a stand!  The employers can be ridiculous.  You helped push up the "quit rate" which seems to be pretty frozen!

I have 2 suggestions:

1.  Eating out:  Fagetaboudit!
2.  Do your job search activities during business hours and drive for Uber (being that you have a car and are already setup) at other times.  This might help sustain you if your search is prolonged.  However if Uber sux where you live, maybe ditch the car.

Best of luck!!

Thank you for the encouraging and supportive post.  We were only eating out about once a week or less so I will be cooking all meals now.  We have fun cooking together. 

Great suggestion on job searching during business hours and then Uber/Lyft later.  Non business hours are busier anyway.  With Lyft, I have a bonus of $750 for first 75 rides so that is $10 a ride plus whatever I make.  Uber sometimes offers up to $45 an hour in my area so I do drive then or during massive surge.  Otherwise, the car is parked except to take dog to dog park 3.5miles away.   

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 09:23:16 AM »
I think your main problem is that you don't really have FU money. You have a 9 month emergency fund and some retirement savings. This is the source of your anxiety and angst.

You'll feel better once you find a new job.

My advice on whether to quit impulsively or hold your tongue in a soulless job: Don't quit impulsively. But don't stay in your soulless job forever.

Next time, take a deep breath and start job hunting while still collecting a paycheck. Use PTO or sick days to give yourself a break to calm down and get a plan in order.

But remember: it's no use crying over spilled milk. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. The only way to go is forward.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 09:26:33 AM »
I think your main problem is that you don't really have FU money. You have a 9 month emergency fund and some retirement savings. This is the source of your anxiety and angst.

You'll feel better once you find a new job.

My advice on whether to quit impulsively or hold your tongue in a soulless job: Don't quit impulsively. But don't stay in your soulless job forever.

Next time, take a deep breath and start job hunting while still collecting a paycheck. Use PTO or sick days to give yourself a break to calm down and get a plan in order.

But remember: it's no use crying over spilled milk. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. The only way to go is forward.

Thanks CPA cat.  This is all sage advice.  I almost took PTO for Thursday and Friday to cool down.  But, as you say, forward.  Many thanks.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
you have a butt load of expenses you can cut regardless of your job situation

phone bill should be 20 bucks a month
internet no cable should be 45 bucks a month
you dont need to pay someone 20 bucks A MONTH to cut your hair
Food should go down to 200 easy. 

now you have saved around 300 bucks if you can cut another 15.  thats 2700 extra dollars in 9 months - almost enough to get you thru month 10

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »

I did it about 9 years ago.  I get comfortable/complacent in these jobs and feel like I need the pressure of being unemployed to find a new job.  I also get on these principled stances and typically authority figures don't like people with principles.  Although my boss told me he did value me and another guy who is pretty straightforward and always pushing for the right decision even when it is unpopular.  Then my boss had two tantrums one in person and one over email and I did not want to be part of the distorted reality and rollercoaster any longer.

I'm the same way. I got offered a job by a client recently. One reason I did not take it is that I believe I work better when I'm saying what I think as a consultant. I enjoy the challenge of proving myself on an ongoing basis, and I'm not eager to return to cubicles and performance evaluations.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
Well it is too late to make any comments. So hopefully going forward you don't make such impulsive decisions. You are not married but sounds like a very committed relationship. How did she take this?

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »

Is this a thing? Can people really do this? I've been near my breaking/walk-out/panic attack/suicidal point many times at work, but my job requires 3 months notice to request a day off. Sick days are granted on a case-by-case basis, which means almost never. I've considered trying to get a doctor to write me out of work for my mental health before, but didn't know if I really wanted to open that can of worms... so I've always just soldiered on, hoping I'd be able to keep my mouth shut and not say anything irreversible. What I wouldn't give for the option of using some of my 3-ish weeks of PTO to take a break at at time I need it, instead of at a time that has been planned months in advance.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »

Is this a thing? Can people really do this? I've been near my breaking/walk-out/panic attack/suicidal point many times at work, but my job requires 3 months notice to request a day off. Sick days are granted on a case-by-case basis, which means almost never. I've considered trying to get a doctor to write me out of work for my mental health before, but didn't know if I really wanted to open that can of worms... so I've always just soldiered on, hoping I'd be able to keep my mouth shut and not say anything irreversible. What I wouldn't give for the option of using some of my 3-ish weeks of PTO to take a break at at time I need it, instead of at a time that has been planned months in advance.

Wow what a terrible employer! Whenever I've used sick days, I just call/email my manager and say "I'm sick so I won't be coming in today." Even regular PTO, I usually give a months notice. 3 is a bit much IMO.

It's ironic that your employer is so strict with time off while at the same time the environment is producing panic attacks that make you want to take time off at the drop of a hat! 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »

Just don't come in, and email that you're feeling sick.  If they don't want to 'grant' you a sick day, then tell them that you're not feeling well and they can take the day from your PTO.  If they fire you, no biggie . . . you were going to quit anyway.  If they don't fire you, you get to continue your job search.  It's really win-win for you.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
I personally wouldn't quit a 165k job without a backup plan, but only you understand if the conditions warranted it.  Use this as an opportunity to figure out what you really want to do, you might just end up with something better.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:12 AM »
Crazy to quit, since you still have consumer debt (student loan and car). Sell the car and buy one you can afford (cash), sell the condo and move into a more affordable place (condo fees, pissing money away). Take a week off then get serious about finding another job. Presumably at that income level you have skills that even if you take a pay cut you'll still be earning six figures and be fine. Pay off the debt and don't pull any more crazy stunts until you have no debt, then you can play with the FU money or take sabbaticals.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
Also you can't Uber with a car older then 10 years. My son found this out and had to upgrade his car to a newer one.

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Don't know whether that is your situation but IMHO unfortunately there may be a correlation between the sh****ness of a job and very good pay. Where difficult bosses in particular pay a premium because they know they have to compensate for the pain of dealing with them. This can be a problem if your goal is to hang in there and build a stash. You need either thick crocodile skin or screen your future bosses very carefully and perhaps accept slightly lower pay in a place with better culture. It's like renting your property to a good tenant for fair rent rather than accepting top dollar from a desperate tenant who will default.

But I digress.

You need to cut expenses fast and start saving. Treat your debt as an emergency.

And please be honest with your girlfriend as to plans for the next years. You are 36? Assuming she is about your age, the dependents topic could become pressing soon. Please don't be one of these couples who end up at an IVF clinic at 42, blowing hundreds of $k, amazed to hear there is a biological clock.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:23:17 PM by Norgirl »

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »

Man. Claim explosive diarrhea.

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
Wowzas. That is a considerable amount of bacon to be pulling in then to chuck it aside. You seem like a zealous lad though, get em tiger! Use those contacts you made and take people up for lunch and coffee. They see something in you to extend so much support so soon after you left.

I'm surprised you weren't saving more but now you have the opportunity to get back on the horse and save, save, save. If you and your lady are looking at little humans in the near future I think you both should talk about the potential costs if she is 35+ like another Mustachian mentioned.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »
I would have put up with it for $3,173 a week... that's crazy money

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
Don't rush into another conventional job. You may end up making less and putting up with the same grief, just a different view. Use this time to really evaluate what you want to do. Making 3k a month isn't too difficult. Even if you make half that, that 30k will last a lot longer. If you dont mind physical work, start cutting grass or pressure washing driveways, decks, etc.. You can bill $65 an hour and have the flexibility to take days off to plan your next move. Or grab a courier job. My buddy makes $800 a week and has an old van with 200k miles on it. Sell the condo and go work as a crew hand on a yacht for a couple of months. Come back and share your adventures with your GF while you shack up at her place. Just dont sit at home and freak yourself out. Get out there and work without the pressure that it has to be your lifelong profession.

I know its difficult to not second guess your decision. But, you just did what a ton of people on this board don't have the guts to do without a major stash.

I'm jealous!

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »

No dice. I have worked with vomiting and explosive diarrhea before.

I work for a corporate veterinary practice... unless they can find a relief doctor to work your shift, you are required to show up for work. The implication is that you'll be fired for not showing, but I don't know if anyone has tested that. (We have been specifically told that not showing due to inclement weather is a fireable offense... this is an area where snow paralyzes everything once or twice per year, due to a lack of snow-removal equipment.)

I did recently get to take an unscheduled day off after sustaining a severe dog bite to my hand (outside of work hours). Working while sick with a fever or explosive diarrhea, though? Totally normal... last time I found myself working while sick (feverish, weak, etc) , I called my boss and he said lots of sympathetic things but that I needed to stay because there was no one else to cover. (I did inform him, in no uncertain terms, that I'd be aggressively limiting my late afternoon appointments so that I could leave right on time at 5pm and make it to Urgent Care before they closed at 6pm - it was a Saturday and they all close early around here.)

It sucks. A lot. I hate my job.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:52:37 PM by startingsmall »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
If you dont mind physical work, start cutting grass or pressure washing driveways, decks, etc.. You can bill $65 an hour and have the flexibility to take days off to plan your next move.

$65 an hour to mow lawns? Where do I sign up?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
If you dont mind physical work, start cutting grass or pressure washing driveways, decks, etc.. You can bill $65 an hour and have the flexibility to take days off to plan your next move.

$65 an hour to mow lawns? Where do I sign up?

You can bill whatever you want, will you profit $65/hr with fuel costs, dumping costs, travel time, equipment maintence... probably not.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »

No dice. I have worked with vomiting and explosive diarrhea before.

I work for a corporate veterinary practice... unless they can find a relief doctor to work your shift, you are required to show up for work. The implication is that you'll be fired for not showing, but I don't know if anyone has tested that. (We have been specifically told that not showing due to inclement weather is a fireable offense... this is an area where snow paralyzes everything once or twice per year, due to a lack of snow-removal equipment.)

I did recently get to take an unscheduled day off after sustaining a severe dog bite to my hand (outside of work hours). Working while sick with a fever or explosive diarrhea, though? Totally normal... last time I found myself working while sick (feverish, weak, etc) , I called my boss and he said lots of sympathetic things but that I needed to stay because there was no one else to cover. (I did inform him, in no uncertain terms, that I'd be aggressively limiting my late afternoon appointments so that I could leave right on time at 5pm and make it to Urgent Care before they closed at 6pm - it was a Saturday and they all close early around here.)

It sucks. A lot. I hate my job.

I am really sorry.  If I were you, I would quit my job stat.  I've gone through lot of crazy shit at my biglaw job, and my tolerance for it is a lot lower now, having saved substantially over my years of work.  If the conditions imposed on you were now imposed on me, the firm could just go to hell for all I care.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 12:48:41 PM »
Are you by any  chance in the Seattle area? If so, then you probably don't need to worry too much --  I had coffee with a friend of mine who is in development the other day, and she was saying people are scrambling to fill development jobs. Lots of money floating around and not enough people to stay on top of it.  Might be hard to get something at the level you were at, though.  But your expenses are low, so you might want to look for a better fit with lower pay.

Given the salary level, I would originally have guessed you were in NYC or SFO, but the housing costs don't make sense.

I am in DC.  Lots of non-profits here. 

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
Well it is too late to make any comments. So hopefully going forward you don't make such impulsive decisions. You are not married but sounds like a very committed relationship. How did she take this?

We talked the night before about me quitting.  All she asked was that I have a one year plan to leave the job, which we developed together.  The next day however, my boss sent me a sarcastic and condescending email reply after I complimented another employee along the lines of "Good to see you complimenting a fellow co-workers, especially since you disagreed with the strategy that I laid out..." which just wasn't true. I supported him and the employee I complimented.  I sent him email to my girlfriend and she replied "Quit.'  She has been immensely supportive and it is one more reason I feel she is very different from all the other (great mind you) women I have dated and why I want to marry her.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »

We talked the night before about me quitting.  All she asked was that I have a one year plan to leave the job, which we developed together.  The next day however, my boss sent me a sarcastic and condescending email reply after I complimented another employee along the lines of "Good to see you complimenting a fellow co-workers, especially since you disagreed with the strategy that I laid out..." which just wasn't true. I supported him and the employee I complimented.  I sent him email to my girlfriend and she replied "Quit.'  She has been immensely supportive and it is one more reason I feel she is very different from all the other (great mind you) women I have dated and why I want to marry her.

It sounds to me like you were just looking for a reason to quit. There are all sorts of people in all industries, people who are much worse than a sarcastic boss. I am glad your GF is supportive.

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »
Don't know whether that is your situation but IMHO unfortunately there may be a correlation between the sh****ness of a job and very good pay. Where difficult bosses in particular pay a premium because they know they have to compensate for the pain of dealing with them.

You need to cut expenses fast and start saving. Treat your debt as an emergency.

And please be honest with your girlfriend as to plans for the next years. You are 36? Assuming she is about your age, the dependents topic could become pressing soon. Please don't be one of these couples who end up at an IVF clinic at 42, blowing hundreds of $k, amazed to hear there is a biological clock.

1) The CEO I accepted the job under was a very warm man and I still have dinner with him and his wife. The new CEO is cold and doesn't understand relationships (which is what development is in a lot of ways).  You are right, he offered me $200k to stay until 12/31/17 and I just could not take it.  His two management tactics are throwing money at problems and threatening to fire staff, vendors, consultants, etc.

2) All my debt is below 3.5% so I do not view it as an emergency

3) My girlfriend is 26 and has her own six figure job and a biological clock.  We have discussed when we want to start having children. This kind of came out of nowhere and is a bit judgey on women who wait to have children (yet somehow blaming the man for being "dishonest?")

PuckDaddy14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
Wowzas. That is a considerable amount of bacon to be pulling in then to chuck it aside. You seem like a zealous lad though, get em tiger! Use those contacts you made and take people up for lunch and coffee. They see something in you to extend so much support so soon after you left.

I'm surprised you weren't saving more but now you have the opportunity to get back on the horse and save, save, save. If you and your lady are looking at little humans in the near future I think you both should talk about the potential costs if she is 35+ like another Mustachian mentioned.

The contacts have been amazing and its seems I have more options than I know what to do with.  It was silent when I had my job but as soon as you leave everyone feels comfortable approaching you.  I am hopeful to secure an opportunity soon.

One thing I did not anticipate was the stickiness of the non-compete.  While most people feel it is unenforceable, it still causes some angst for potential employers.  It is strange that I had a rentention agreement that prohibited me from looking for jobs while at the company AND I have a non compete that prohibits me from working for a competitor for 12 months.  How does one find a job in such an environment? 

Bottom line, don't sign non competes.

Again, my GF is 26 and we have discussed FI, costs of childcare, moving to lower cost of living areas, me being a stay at home dad/consultant, etc.  She is fully aware of my views on FI, life, and work and our compatibility in this area is one reason we are going to get married and have a ton of fun together.