Author Topic: Improving your CV without spending too much money (is a masters worth it?)  (Read 3408 times)

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi all,

I live in Australia and graduated from Medicine last year and I'm currently doing my internship.

I'm planning on trying to get into the Anaesthetics training program next year, but it's very competitive.

I've been thinking about studying an online masters degree in medicine (perioperative) which would be really applicable to Anaesthetics and I'm sure look great on my resume.

The problem is that it costs $30000

Looking at the curriculum to the masters I honestly think you could gain 80% +  of the knowledge from it by dedicating the same amount of time to studying a good few textbooks.

The thing is, how can self study like that translate into something that improves your resume?

Does anyone have any general suggestions as to how you can improve your resume greatly without spending huge amounts of money?

brute

• Pencil Stache
Well, from my perspective, a masters was absolutely worth it. My pay raise paid off my degree in 8 months and I can have a new job doing what I love in about 2 weeks if I get tired of where I am. But then again, I'm a computer scientist. No idea how it works in your field. But, here's what I did in addition to that degree that was worth about 15% of my hourly rate.

I started a consulting company.

A lot of bosses like to see that you've started something, managed something, can manage your own time well. If you can run a company at a profit, you'll increase their profits most likely. May not work for everyone, but it got me a lot more job offers than before.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
Make sure that it really would look as great on your CV as you think - talk to people in the anesthetics program you're applying to, to qualified anesthetists, etc., and find out what *they* think of the degree.

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
thank you! both great ideas.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
Is there anyway to find a job that would pay for the degree? 

I am currently getting a masters (in a completely unrelated field to what you are in) and my company is paying for it 100%.  I do have to continue to work here for 2 years after I complete the degree or pay it back at a prorated amount but I really like it here so I am not currently concerned about that part.  Once I finish I believe that I will be eligible for a raise that would be greater annually than what the entire degree will cost, especially if I choose to leave.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
+1 to finding a job that will pay for your degree

I paid for my master's degree (education) out of pocket, and the raise I got when I switched companies after finishing it paid for the degree in one year.  We were already frugal, so our savings rate when down while doing it- but we didn't in anyway change any of our spending so it wasn't too painful to pay for.  I'm very glad I got it.

Now trying to consider if I should get a second one because company will pay. Seems a waste not to.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
An online degree isn't worth 30k. Maybe it will give your cv a small boost but employers don't think that highly of online degrees.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
An online degree isn't worth 30k. Maybe it will give your cv a small boost but employers don't think that highly of online degrees.

Maybe not in Australia- but this definitely depends in the US.  Most of the people I know (myself included) have degrees they've done online, because they worked full time while doing the degree.  But they did them from traditional, established brick and mortar universities: not things like Walden, Kaplan, or Phoenix.

I got a new job came with a $16k salary increase when I finished my M.Ed. I would not have been considered for the job without it; a year and a half later, I got a job that paid me $20k more than that, again I wouldn't have been considered without the master's degree. I didn't say it was online, but surely anyone who saw my degree was granted through a Massachusetts university while I lived in Iowa could figure that out.  My "online degree" has more than paid off.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:12:29 AM by iowajes »

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

It is actually from a reputable "brick and mortar" university. Actually the number 1 ranked medical university in Aus.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Ask the uni if they have a list of online alums you can speak to about their experience.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:31:40 AM by pbkmaine »