Author Topic: Ikea Friheten Sofa bed... anyone have experiences (or in general)?  (Read 23112 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Hey all,

I'm looking to replace our 7-8 year old Ikea couch (black leather) with a slightly larger one that converts to a sofa bed (Friheten - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/availability/20262369/). We're planning to get the leather one. I have mixed feelings about it because of all the mixed reviews on Ikea stuff in general. Of course, my parents got me the current couch from Ikea as a 'housewarming' gift back then... it has actually held up pretty well for the shape it's in now. There's a smallish rip in the middle cushion but the couch is pretty comfortable to sit on and is still in good shape.

We're wanting a slightly bigger couch to more comfortably lay out on and also to accommodate more guests per the sofa bed. I have a $25 off coupon which will help take care of some of the tax haha. Otherwise it's $700. Seems a bit steep for what it is but if it lasts nearly as long as the one we have now, I would be OK with that. We're not planning to be in the current place long term anyway [I think] and potentially might be elsewhere in 5 years or so - I'm not 100% sure but I just know our current place isn't for the long-run.

What do you guys think?

tomita

• Stubble
Re: Ikea Friheten Sofa bed... anyone have experiences (or in general)?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »
I like Ikea furniture, can't tell you more
can you buy from Canada? there is a sale for sofas get 15% back- until NOV 29
and the price is CAD 899 (US 677)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20262369/?query=FRIHETEN+Sofa+bed+with+chaise

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
I like Ikea furniture, can't tell you more
can you buy from Canada? there is a sale for sofas get 15% back- until NOV 29
and the price is CAD 899 (US 677)
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20262369/?query=FRIHETEN+Sofa+bed+with+chaise

Yea I haven't really had any qualms with it overall. In college we bought the cheapo stuff and that never lasted or held up well. But spend a bit more there and it seems the quality is decent.

Unfortunately, not close enough to Canada to take advantage (here in SoCal). Which it weren't so but it is what is. I'm assuming the sale on sofas is only in Canada?

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:20 PM »
Go on craigslist.  People post lightly used ikea furniture all the time.  Go to the furniture section and type in things like "sectional" and "sleeper" and "pullout".  You will probably find this exact couch for sale within a month or 2 if you try this every day, given you live in a semi populated area.

edit:  re-read your post and realized you are unsure about ikea quality.  I don't like ikea furniture and would doubly recommend going on craigslist.  There are so many nice couches on craigslist for under $500 its not even funny. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:44:03 PM by humbleMouse »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Go on craigslist.  People post lightly used ikea furniture all the time.  Go to the furniture section and type in things like "sectional" and "sleeper" and "pullout".  You will probably find this exact couch for sale within a month or 2 if you try this every day, given you live in a semi populated area.

edit:  re-read your post and realized you are unsure about ikea quality.  I don't like ikea furniture and would doubly recommend going on craigslist.  There are so many nice couches on craigslist for under $500 its not even funny.

Oh yea, I have looked a bit on Craigslist. Haven't come across anyone selling the leather one but I haven't looked all that aggressively either. That might be worth doing especially since we're not in the biggest rush. I was kinda rushing cause of the coupon but I think I'll put it off and just wait.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
I have a ton of Ikea furniture and I love it. As long as you are not overly abusive (e.g. kids) they last forever. On the other hand, they are cheap to replace.

I have had a leather couch by them - blanking on the name - for a few years now and I love it. It has held up well. Also, Ikea has some specials were you spend more than $100 in a single transaction you and your family can get a free meal. I think a weekend is coming up soon, but they have them year round. Check it out!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
I have a ton of Ikea furniture and I love it. As long as you are not overly abusive (e.g. kids) they last forever. On the other hand, they are cheap to replace.

I have had a leather couch by them - blanking on the name - for a few years now and I love it. It has held up well. Also, Ikea has some specials were you spend more than $100 in a single transaction you and your family can get a free meal. I think a weekend is coming up soon, but they have them year round. Check it out!

Yea, we just had our first kid so the couch I've had from 2007 has generally held up pretty well. That's with taking pretty frequent naps on it and even having people sleep on it too. It has had a good run but I think it's time for something new. I did see the special about getting a free meal. I should bring a bunch of people with me to "help" with loading the furniture if I want to max out on that deal LOL. I'd much rather just get % off though. I'm wondering (and hoping) that they would offer 15% off sofas or whatever for Black Friday and maybe just go then. Are their BF deals usually only good on BF though? I can foresee them running out of inventory and getting screwed over but ah well... I guess it's better to keep waiting and seeing if anyone is selling one on CL or when they finally drop the price or have a % off discount.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:05:47 AM »
A picky (discerning?) friend bought one last year and has been happy with how it has worn and its comfyness, so we just bought one for our guest room/TV room...sister-in-law using it already while she visits and so far so good!

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:28 AM »
Ha - not only do I own a decade old ikea leather couch, I also own the exact couch you are looking at (in beige).  It's not nearly as comfortable for just sitting around on as the old leather couch we have.  It's harder on your lower back, requires lots of back pillows.  But having said that, we still sit on it for TV watching no problem. 

As a guest bed, it's fantastic.  Easy to pull out, relatively easy to make.  I've slept on it (my sister in law and mother in law both own one) and can vouch that it is pretty damn comfortable!  There's a bar in the middle that gets old sticking in your back after about three nights, but if you make the bed up the other direction, you never even feel it.  We have a roommate who's been sleeping on ours for a few months now, with no complaints.

I'm in the military, so we move around a lot.  The couch has been disassembled and reassembled for one move so far - it handled the move fine.