Author Topic: Ignoring internet comments  (Read 5821 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Ignoring internet comments
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
Question,

Aside from forums, do you recommend avoiding reading comments to other things? I mean this nearly for all news articles. I find the comments to either be incredibly hyperbolic, or just full of vitriol.

In my life I am making a move to hang out with more positive and reinforcing people, and avoiding people that do the opposite (example being people that constantly complain).

I think an exception would be forums and some blogs, because generally it is a conversation and one around a topic that interests me, which sounds more conducive to having a marketplace of ideas.

What do you think?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ignoring internet comments
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
On larger sites, the comments can seem especially silly. I am thinking of Yahoo and The New York Times in particular.

On smaller blogs--MMM, ERE--the comments appear better managed. I personally have not seem as much vitriol on smaller sites like those.

In forums, I think you just have to feel out the situation. Here, people are generally okay.

PolarBeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Pretty much the above. ^

As for the people in my life, I know who my friends, family and close ones are. I'm not ditching them even if they are depressed, negative, complaining etc. I've read this kind of suggestion before, typically from self-help gurus/books, but I fundamentally disagree with it. The people you are close to deserve your patience and love except in the rare cases where they are abusive toward you or others. However, getting involved new people who are negative is another matter and there you should be cautious.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
It depends-- I'd want to stay exposed to well reasoned opposing views.  Don't want to participate only in a group thinking circle jerk.  But silly and hyperbolic comments make sense to avoid. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
Like polarbeer, I choose to stay friends with a few select complaining people. I believe one is either depressive or manic depressive and I am not going to abandon her in order to be around only positive people. Also like polarbeer, I am not exactly planning to add in additional negative people either.

In some cases, you can keep troublesome people in your life by setting clear boundaries. I did this with a few people, and it worked very well.

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
I believe one is either depressive or manic depressive and I am not going to abandon her in order to be around only positive people.
She's lucky to have such a kind pal.

Frugally-raised

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
About a year ago I realized that reading comments on news stories was a losing proposition. It was very rare that I learned anything; mostly it just made me angry or depressed. So, I forced myself to stop reading comments on major news sites (BBC, MSNBC, etc.). It wasn't easy, which surprised me. Not only was it a habit, but it was a way to procrastinate. And also possibly a way to make myself feel superior.

I won't say I never read the comments, but when I find myself slipping back into that habit and getting annoyed, I'm immediately aware of it and close the page and get on with my life.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
In a similar vein I am a white male in his mid-40s in Virginia so you can guess the political bend of the majority of my friends - conservative.  And I get soooooo tired of their nearly constant bitching the past five years.  And I have a group of friends, mostly right-leaning, that I discuss and debate politics with mostly via email.  It can be exhausting after a while even with people I know and like (on the plus side it has improved my debating skills immensely over the years).  I would suggest avoiding the comments section of the mostly anonymous sites, there is very little there worth reading and most folks of all stripes have some sort of axe to grind.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
Ignorance is bliss. I used to read headlines 24/7. Then I took a little vacation from it and found out I don't miss it. I still try to pay attention to big picture news but I know I'll only get irritated reading comments, especially on subjects I have a very strong feeling about. Why get yourself would up?

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
i don't read comments most of the time, and then when i do its usually because i'm bored and i purposely go trolling because it is so very easy to rile people up sometimes.  the interwebs are so serious! lol

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
I read the comments of news articles because there is usually one or two people in the comment section that know more about the story than the "spin" the journalist / news station puts on the story.  I also try to search and see what other viewpoints the same topic brings up.  I try to get all sides before trying to pass judgement on something.  Although I will not deny that it sucks when you have to read through a bunch of trolls and spam.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!