Author Topic: If your phone exploded (ok, so the screen broke)...  (Read 2573 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
If your phone exploded (ok, so the screen broke)...
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
... what would you do?

I've been using T-Mobile with a Nexus 4 and their $30/month plan for 1500 minutes and 30Mb data. My primary number is Google Voice and I am completely non-contract.

However, in a moment of brilliance this morning, I dropped my phone about 3 inches and shattered the screen (glass + pavement = problems).

This presents me with an opportunity to change providers and plans if I'd like, or spend in the $100-$150 range to replace the screen on my Nexus 4.

I'm not sure if I want to just replace the screen or look to change my plans, what would you all do?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: If your phone exploded (ok, so the screen broke)...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
Do you know how many minutes you actually use?  1500 minutes/month is 50 minutes on the phone every day.  If you use less, you may be well served with a cheaper option.  I'm on Airvoice Wireless (minimum $10/mo, I use slightly more than that, at $0.04/minute, $0.02/text, $0.066/MB), with no complaints so far.

In any case, I'd go ahead and repair the screen myself.  I'm mechanically inclined and love to fix things, though.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
First thing you should do is try to fix the phone as Greg suggested, or have someone local fix it for you instead of buying a new one.

After that, you should take a good, hard look at your actual minute, text and data usage. Odds are, you're not using anywhere near the advertised numbers on that $30 plan. Since you are happy with T-Mobile coverage and once you're armed with actual usage numbers, you could probably get a better deal either through Spot Mobile or P'tel, at which it's just a new SIM card and a number port. Check the superguide for details.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
Hmmm, I never thought to repair it myself. That's intriguing.

Honestly one of the reasons I have the plan I do is so I call my parents more.  I figure if I have that many minutes I have no excuse (and it works).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:02 PM »
Been thinking about this - I might get the Moto G from Republic Wireless since that is only about $150 itself but lets me have a better plan for cheaper.