Author Topic: if you sleep with a partner: full, queen, or king?  (Read 26728 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: if you sleep with a partner: full, queen, or king?
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
We sleep on a full sized bed, and it's always been ample for us.  Even for those days when we'd wake up and, oops, I didn't put the baby back after nursing...  And I like my space when I'm sleeping.  But I am quite petite.  DH is normal sized.  If we were both normal sized I might want a queen.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
My parents spent their whole married life sleeping in a double bed.  My mom told us once that she suggested they change to a queen.  My dad's response was that it was all he could do to chase her down in a double he'd never find her in a queen.  It must have worked, they ended up with eight kids.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »
King! It's luxuriously huge and we love it. It also cost us only $279 (it's a tempurpedic knock-off from Amazon).

Big benefit is that if one person is ill (with a cough/cold, etc) and doesn't feel like cuddling (our normal MO), we can each have a side of the bed to ourselves. This was a problem for us with a double bed--we couldn't spread out if we needed to. We also like to hang out in bed sometimes on rainy days with books, magazines, laptops, dog, etc and the King just gives us more breathing room.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
Full size all the way!

This is partly due to the fact that we live in teeny-tiny apartments but more about the fact that I start to feel lost (and lonely) when the bed gets too big. I'm an all-night snuggler ;-)

Haha, me too.

We have a full and it's fine. We are both average-ish size (5'8" and 6'0", average build) and it doesn't feel too narrow for me (plus I like having my boyfriend keep me warm, I'm always super cold at night) but it does feel a little short. I like the idea of not upgrading so as to resist hedonic adaptation (and would not even consider a king for that reason, my parents have slept in a queen bed for 29 years and they're fine). But the mattress we have now kind of sucks (it was a cheap one when I bought it five years ago), and when we upgrade to one that doesn't hurt our backs we will probably go for a queen just to have a little more space, although it will be a tight squeeze in our current bedroom. Plus occasionally our two dogs snuggle with us (and I'm assuming future kids will as well) so the extra space would be nice.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
I personally don't like King beds.  Just too big.  Always feel weird when we sleep in one at a hotel.

Me too!!! In a way it's a little luxurious, but also so awkward. The poster upthread who said they like to wake up and have to find their way out of bed... I HATE that!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
Queen size for 33 years of marriage, but we have enjoyed King-sized beds in hotels, and it always makes us go, "hmmmmmmm......   nahhhh"   :)

Yeah it is fun for the novelty like in a hotel, but I actually really like our queen. Not sure even if it was an option, we would switch to king. 17 years marriage + 5 years of living in sin.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:00:17 PM by partgypsy »

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
I don't live with my partner but we've been adjusting to sleeping together for a while. At first, he had 2 twins that we pushed together to make a ghetto king. We slept wonderfully in this, and didn't sleep very well in my Queen, so we began to think that we'd have to get a King size. Which is fairly ridiculous as neither of us has a big place, and when we priced them out they were SO expensive. But neither of us had been in a relationship for a while, so getting used to someone else in the bed was hard. Then someone offered to sell him a second hand Queen, which he decided to get. It's actually worked out OK space-wise, although we need to get a better mattress for that bed (or move in together but that's another issue). Now we sleep pretty well in both Queen sized beds - mine and his, and I think long-term a Queen will suit our needs perfectly. But I have to admit, if we go away and stay in a hotel, I always book a room with a King size bed - it's so luxurious to have all that space. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
We shared a single for nearly five years and this autumn moved into a furnished flat with a UK king size bed (US queen). WE HATE IT but the landlord won't let us swap because she has nowhere to store it. I wish we could have a single between the two of us again, or at least just a normal double bed, and get back all the floor space in the bedroom!

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Queen.

Room can't fit a King.

Can't imagine it any other way.

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
    • Asset-Grinder Finance Blog
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »
I must have a king. I like my side of the bed my side! Cant stand people touching me or breathing on me when asleep. Getting harder now when the kids want in the bed.... grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
And we can't share bedding either - After 2 weeks of me trying to yank the super-king duvet from around his tightly-cocooned and very asleep body I gave up and got my old single duvet off the spare bed. 

Lol, this is my wife and I.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
3 years ago when we started, it was twin. ~1.5-2 years later moved up to a full-size futon (sacrificing mattress quality for space!!!)

Then we moved in and got a queen. Durapedic (?) foam mattress that is pretty great at isolating movement.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
After perusing this thread it seems that mustachians are willing to cut back on almost everything except bed size :)

Wife and I are larger than average and have a full. i wouldn't consider going bigger. I also can not stand to be touched while sleeping, but it is not a problem. we have plenty of room. One thing that helps is having personal blankets. no fighting over the covers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
I must have a king. I like my side of the bed my side! Cant stand people touching me or breathing on me when asleep. Getting harder now when the kids want in the bed.... grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Good luck...

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
I admit that I am too cheap to have every considered buying it ourselves, but we were gifted a king from his parents when we got married, and I love it so much, and often say how grateful I am for it, two years later.

Granted, our old queen set was OLD. So the bigger problem was probably mattress quality (that whole rolling in towards the middle thing definitely makes the bed feel smaller than it is!) rather than size.

As it is now, we use two full sized pillows, mine up against the edge of the bed, and his up against mine - so basically almost a third of the bed is mostly unused. We aren't cuddlers (at least not all night) but we sleep within reach of each other :). Sometimes I even have to tell him to shove over, as he'll trap me on the edge of the bed, even though he's got tonnes of room on the other side.

The times it has been nice to have the extra room are the (fairly infrequent) occasions when the hubs suffers from bad night sweats, and so he's able to roll over to find some dry sheets. And that's about it.

So my conclusion is that I would probably go for a good quality queen bed, if I was looking to purchase one. Also, I seriously can't believe people actually share blankets?! We have a collection of at least 5 different blankets on our bed at a time, so we each have a good selection. We are both duvet hogs!

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
California King since 17 years ago when I was pregnant with our first baby.  Hubby is 6 foot 3 and we both need our space before we fall asleep.  We tolerate sleeping in queen sized beds when on vacation.  Anyone contemplating upgrading if you have the room should do it!!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
Two double beds pushed together. We specifically measured the bedroom before we bought to make sure they would fit. Plenty of room, peaceful sleep. Bliss.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »
A single in university was fine.  A double when we started working and were saving up.  A king at the moment.  Based on my results, there appears to be an inverse correlation between amount of sex and bed size.

hahaha

What I'd like to know is, do all of you posters go to sleep at the same time as your partner? Mine expects it and I find it kind of a drag sometimes because I need less sleep, but I don't know if suggesting this would be normal or a war declaration or somewhere in between.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 05:13:22 AM »
Early marriage we were in a double, and it was fine.  We were both thinner then, and only had two cats.  Now, we're in a king and it's not big enough.  There is generally a kid and two dogs in bed with us, two kids and three dogs on the worst nights.  I used to love to be all snuggly in one bed with all the creatures I love best, but as I get older, I crave my own space.  What I really want is a secret bedroom that no-one knows about:  big bed, crisp white sheets, utter silence, complete darkness, no sounds or smells except my own!

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »
This is such a fascinating thread! We sleep in a Full, which I find roomy. I checked with my partner, and he agrees. We are cuddlers, though not necessarily when sleeping, but we like to be close to each other. We have no pets or children.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:48:25 PM by thecornercat »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
A single in university was fine.  A double when we started working and were saving up.  A king at the moment.  Based on my results, there appears to be an inverse correlation between amount of sex and bed size.

hahaha

What I'd like to know is, do all of you posters go to sleep at the same time as your partner? Mine expects it and I find it kind of a drag sometimes because I need less sleep, but I don't know if suggesting this would be normal or a war declaration or somewhere in between.

we don't, for that same reason--bf needs way less sleep than me. I kind of hate it though. I wish he was a book reader instead of a TV watcher, that way he could come to bed and read a book (I am a professional sleeper, having a light on would not bother me in the slightest) but instead he stays out in the living room watching TV. I keep trying to explain to him that he would get laid more if we went to bed at the same time, but alas...

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
After perusing this thread it seems that mustachians are willing to cut back on almost everything except bed size :)

Wife and I are larger than average and have a full. i wouldn't consider going bigger. I also can not stand to be touched while sleeping, but it is not a problem. we have plenty of room. One thing that helps is having personal blankets. no fighting over the covers.

Sleeping poorly = cheap. We have been in a queen for 29 years and recently slept in a king while on vacation. It was a lot better. Had we the room, we would definitely get a king. Some things are just not worth skimping on. Our queen is fine, but I do prefer a king.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

hahaha

What if you got up earlier?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »
Queen.

We need a new mattress though.  I found the old mattress thread.  I'm still confused.

My 8 year old thinks we should move to a king so we can all sleep in the same bed!  Um. No.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
We actually just went from a King to a Queen a couple of weeks ago to give us more space in our master bedroom. We have been making it work, but in reality, both of would really prefer to go back to a King. We have found the extra floor space really isn't doing much for us.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
Our first (used) bed was a king because it actually ended up a little cheaper than the equivalent queen.  It was gigantic, luxurious, super comfortable, and not at all practical.  We had a tiny bedroom at the time.  About 60% of the floorspace was taken up by that stupid bed.  Not exaggerating.  It was dumb.

We then moved to a house with a larger bedroom and downsized to a queen at the same time.  Saved floorspace, less of a pain in the butt to move (still a pain).

She takes up around 70% of the bed when sleeping, because she likes to "sprawl out."  I'm a compact sleeper, so it works well.  And we're still close enough for the non-sleep activities beds were made for. ;)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:42 AM »
Queen.  Plenty of room as needed.  Not as ridiculously oversized/wasteful as a King.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
GuitarStv is confused by people who are concerned about floorspace in their bedroom.

The bedroom is for sex and sleeping.  More bed facilitates both of these purposes.  Floorspace in the bedroom is primarily used to collect dust bunnies and dirty clothing.

My ideal bedroom would be wall to wall bed.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »

OMG I never thought of that!!! How brilliant!!!

but seriously, I'm not a morning person. Caving on the bedtime question is the lesser of two evils.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »
California king. King is a little bit wider than we need, and the extra length rocks for tall guys.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »

OMG I never thought of that!!! How brilliant!!!

but seriously, I'm not a morning person. Caving on the bedtime question is the lesser of two evils.

I'm not a morning person either, but when I get enough sleep, I wake up. Then I can read or make breakfast or whatever.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
Love my King 4 post rice bed.  Killed some jungle mahogany for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
GuitarStv is confused by people who are concerned about floorspace in their bedroom.

The bedroom is for sex and sleeping.  More bed facilitates both of these purposes.  Floorspace in the bedroom is primarily used to collect dust bunnies and dirty clothing.

My ideal bedroom would be wall to wall bed.

I've got just the bedroom for you!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
The floor space in the bedroom argument confuses me as well. Why would I want floor space? When we had a big dog he slept half under the bed anyway!

I'm guessing we will move in the next few years, and our mattress should be fine for 3-5 more years, so I'm thinking once we move and know if the bedroom will fit a queen or king  we'll decide then.

My grandparents had an old house, their narrow stair case had a 90 degree turn. Even getting a queen upstairs was a nightmare. They got put on the furniture store's "do not deliver" list for in-room set up.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »

Sleeping poorly = cheap. We have been in a queen for 29 years and recently slept in a king while on vacation. It was a lot better. Had we the room, we would definitely get a king. Some things are just not worth skimping on. Our queen is fine, but I do prefer a king.

I would agree that getting poor sleep as a way to save money would be cheap. But we are both larger than average and each have enough room to sleep without touching each other. The full is plenty big enough. If our sleep was compromised I would not hesitate to upgrade.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »

I would agree that getting poor sleep as a way to save money would be cheap. But we are both larger than average and each have enough room to sleep without touching each other. The full is plenty big enough. If our sleep was compromised I would not hesitate to upgrade.

Do you move a lot? Some people move more than others and could get in each other's way. Some people sleep in fetal position while others sprawl out to be comfortable. There are many right ways to sleep.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »
We have a queen. It works well for us, enough room so we have our own space, not so much we feel isolated. When we slept on my double when we were first dating, that was a little too cozy.

re: floor space... do you folks have separate dressing rooms? Our room would not fit the dressers and the night table and a king sized bed with room to walk around the bed. Honestly he really needs a night table, too, but there's just no space.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
39 years of marriage in a full size bed.  A queen would be okay, but we have had king size several times on vacation and neither of us liked it.  We are both 5'9 with a combined weight of 400 pounds so we aren't small people.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
Sleep on a king, wish it was a queen.  DH loves this bed, but it's too big for me.  I snuggle up to his side so we really just use his third. ;) 

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2014, 06:53:46 PM »
Sleep on a king, wish it was a queen.  DH loves this bed, but it's too big for me.  I snuggle up to his side so we really just use his third. ;)

This is exactly what I imagine would happen if we uprgraded

data.Damnation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
I'm amazed that one one else has said this yet, but we have a split king. It's two twin extra long matresses inside a king frame. We each have separate blankets and matresses for isolation (and sanity) but we can throw a king comforter over the top so it doesn't look ghetto like two twin beds together (plus no gap between them). The only downside is that it's hard to find affordable sheets, we usually have to wait until they clearance out dorm room stuff since most dorm beds are twin extra longs.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »
I'm amazed that one one else has said this yet, but we have a split king. It's two twin extra long matresses inside a king frame. We each have separate blankets and matresses for isolation (and sanity) but we can throw a king comforter over the top so it doesn't look ghetto like two twin beds together (plus no gap between them). The only downside is that it's hard to find affordable sheets, we usually have to wait until they clearance out dorm room stuff since most dorm beds are twin extra longs.

Apart from the lack of isolation/sanity, would it theoretically work if you used the split mattress but regular King sheets and blankets? We have a split box spring but a full King mattress, and moving in the next few weeks. I just keep thinking once this mattress goes, we should go the two twin route over the King frame. We typically stay on our sides anyway but we're used to sharing sheets. And we have all the nice King sheets, would be a shame to have to replace them all again. Also, how well do the mattresses stay together? Do you have to frequently push them back together to close the gap or do they stay put?

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »
Have a Queen. Sometimes want a King when the kiddo joins us when he sick but for the most part happy with a Queen.

esprit-de-lescalier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
If I could get away with it I would sleep in two singles! I'm not a spooner and I like my sleep.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!