Author Topic: if you sleep with a partner: full, queen, or king?  (Read 26727 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
if you sleep with a partner: full, queen, or king?
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »
If you sleep with a partner, what size bed do you have? Or wish you had?

We have a queen, but have talked on and off about upgrading to a king. That feels unnecessarily fancy but on the other hand I kind of love the idea of having all that room. A full would be the cheapest but no thanks, I'd rather sleep alone in a twin.

A full would be the most economical by far as all my elderly relatives have lovely full bedroom sets with linens besides, and mattresses are cheaper. But again, no.  Our queen mattress is still sadly sitting on a plain metal frame with no headboard and I refuse to buy or build one until we are completely settled on bed size.  Our queen bedding wouldn't go to waste anyway as the kids or a guest room would make use of it.

Aki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: if you sleep with a partner: full, queen, or king?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
Full and we love it, even after 17 years!   

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Full size all the way!

This is partly due to the fact that we live in teeny-tiny apartments but more about the fact that I start to feel lost (and lonely) when the bed gets too big. I'm an all-night snuggler ;-)

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
Have a queen, want a king, but would not fit in our bedroom.  Love me some space to spread out.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
11 years in a queen.  We'd lose each other in a King, although I'm sure we'd get used to it, and our bedroom is certainly big enough for it.  When traveling, we occasionally find ourselves in a double, and it's just not big enough.

Queen:  small enough to cuddle, big enough that you don't have to, :)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Depends on your sleeping habits. I hate cuddling while sleeping, and want to stay as cool as possible. Sharing a queen was too small for me.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
Wife and I are compulsive spooners, so queen is perfect. ;)

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
Two small women, one cat and one mid sized dog on a Queen. It can get cramped.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
We have a queen now and are contemplating an upgrade to a king. My husband's legs have gotten a lot twitchier as he ages, and I'm hoping that a bigger bed will help him not disrupt me.

I'm thinking of starting to pick up King bedding online on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. We've tentatively agreed to buy the mattress as our Xmas gift to each other. Headboard will probably wait.

TheThirstyStag

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
Currently full, wanting a king, compromising for a queen in the near future.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
We upgraded from Queen to King a couple years ago.  I love it, but I think 90% of the improvement is due to switching to a bedframe that doesn't squeak with every shift, and a better mattress that isolates movement so we don't wake each other up.  The extra space is a bonus, and our master BR is amply big enough to accommodate it.  I didn't love having to buy all new sheets and blankets though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Yeah, DH and I were spooners until I hit menopause, complete with hot flashes. Now I'm grateful for the extra room our king size bed affords. DH had it when we got married, so we've kept it. When we travel, we have done fine in queen or double beds. Also, our master bedroom is stupidly huge, so a smaller bed would look silly. I did score some killer linens at an estate sale recently, which took the sting out of buying new king sheets. Wow! They can get spendy very fast.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
We got a king a few years ago, and DH sleeps so much better.  He can't sleep if he's touching someone, so the king is a sleep-saver for him.  We have a zone between us that he refers to as the DMZ. 

Of course cuddling is fine when he's not trying to sleep, just not when he is.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
Upgraded from a Queen to a King after nine years of marriage (and 3 kids) back in 2006.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
11 years in a queen.  We'd lose each other in a King, although I'm sure we'd get used to it, and our bedroom is certainly big enough for it.  When traveling, we occasionally find ourselves in a double, and it's just not big enough.

Queen:  small enough to cuddle, big enough that you don't have to, :)

+1

Happy in our queen.  I can't sleep while cuddling (DH considers this a great flaw of mine), so queen is enough space for me, without him feeling like I'm across the Bering Sea on a King.  Double is too small but we'll suck it up while traveling.  (Memo to Europe: Please get queens.)

Also, it'd be really tough to get a king into our 1933 house with a tight turning staircase.  Would have to unbolt the door to nowhere (just a pretty floor to ceiling view) in our Master to haul it up through there.  Barely got the queens up it - luckily DH has always insisted on split boxsprings because otherwise it wouldn't have made it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 07:44:32 PM »
Depends on your sleeping habits. I hate cuddling while sleeping, and want to stay as cool as possible. Sharing a queen was too small for me.

This. I'll never go back to a queen. I sleep so much better now.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
Full size, more than 27 years.  The only reason we keep considering going up to queen is for additional length, not width, but a larger bed wouldn't fit in our current bedroom.  Besides, I like to cuddle.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Full size all the way!

This is partly due to the fact that we live in teeny-tiny apartments but more about the fact that I start to feel lost (and lonely) when the bed gets too big. I'm an all-night snuggler ;-)

Agreed! I hate hotel rooms with a king! Plus I get cold in the middle of the night & have to crawl across a cold spot to find my human furnace! Queen works great for us. We sleep on a full when we go home to my parents' house and it's a little snug.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
King.  Don't touch me while I sleep.  Thank goodness my husband is not a snuggler.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
California king. We had a queen for years and are still fine with a queen if we end up in one. But with three kids on a weekend morning, a king was in order.  I'm tall, and we're both slim, so we went narrower and longer with a California king. Couldn't be happier (unless we were already retired... but one thing at a time.)

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
King. Husband is 6'3 and his feet stick out comically from a full not to mention we barely fit. A queen, still not great. Warning though, if you choose a king and move a lot, you will regret it. Pain in the ass. Alternative is 2 twins linked together, can't comment on that for a relationship cause we havrnt tried it but I bet it is easier to move!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
A king is the equivalent of two twin beds. We started with a queen, & upgraded to a king when we moved to a bigger house/bedroom. We occasionally encounter full/double size when we travel & it's torture.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
Full. Neither of us is very big, and we cuddle.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »
Currently on a Queen, and have been since I was 16 when I was 6'4" and my dad was dismayed that my feet were hanging off the end of my full bed (now I'm 6'6"). My wife is just shy of 5'10". When traveling, a full sized bed simply "cramps my style" and I don't sleep well.

Our queen bed is on a heirloom bed set of solid oak, with dresser drawers build underneath, and a headboard as well. It's very well made, and upgrading to a King would require a new setup (sheets, bedding, frame, etc). I can see myself with this setup for a long time. 

That being said, no way I'd downgrade to something less than a Queen.

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »
We've got a king and have had a lot of trouble (we've gone through a few mattresses now).  Kings wear oddly - they call it the "king's crown".  I've never had any trouble with queens, twins, etc, but we cannot find a decent king size mattress.  Next time I will get two twins and push them together and cover with king-size sheets.

It seems to me that king beds are a lot more expensive.  The prices for everything are disproportionately higher - sheets, duvet, frame, and obviously the mattress. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
We've had a queen for years. We'd like a king, but none of the bedrooms are big enough. DH thrashes about in his sleep, and we have cats, and the extra room would allow everyone to be more comfortable. But it's OK having a queen.

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »
King for sure.

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
California King water bed since 1983....  plenty of room to go to sleep touching/wrapped, but roll away if get hot during the night.  Hate hotels--nowhere decent can match what we want.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

It seems to me that king beds are a lot more expensive.  The prices for everything are disproportionately higher - sheets, duvet, frame, and obviously the mattress.

Yep, I am still looking for very good quality long lasting, reasonably priced fitted sheets.  Queen was easy, and we received queen sheets for wedding gift.  Hard to find headboards at consignment or doors large enough to be headboards too.

On the other hand...

Another plus for king is that if you ever fight ( say over his spending $600 in a month eating out without you...jk) one of you does not need to find the sofa.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
We have a queen. We are both on the short side (5'4") and have plenty of room. A full would probably be fine though. We regularly sleep on a full when visiting family and it works fine.

A king would feel huge to us. The previous owners of our house had a king and it looked massive in the bedroom.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 10:09:27 PM »
King. Its three of us to start every night and usually four by the am.it was our baby gift when our second child was born.

jennifers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »
Full size but I hate it.  I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to a queen.  We'll probably move to somewhere larger than 500 square feet in the next few years and hopefully we can get a king then. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »
King. Husband is 6'3 and his feet stick out comically from a full not to mention we barely fit. A queen, still not great. Warning though, if you choose a king and move a lot, you will regret it. Pain in the ass. Alternative is 2 twins linked together, can't comment on that for a relationship cause we havrnt tried it but I bet it is easier to move!

Very true!  Ours wouldn't fit up the stairs, so we ended up doing this sort of toss up/hand off thing over the balcony and in through the sliding glass door.  If it wasn't for the balcony off the master, we would be sleeping in the dining room right now.  And it weighs a metric ass-ton.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 12:09:57 AM »
King. 

Neither of us like to be touched when we sleep - he twitches once he's asleep if I'm touching him, and I just can't get comfortable until I'm back to the sweet isolation of my side. 

And we can't share bedding either - After 2 weeks of me trying to yank the super-king duvet from around his tightly-cocooned and very asleep body I gave up and got my old single duvet off the spare bed.  14 years later that's still how we sleep :)

Basically, he was used to a Queen all by himself, and I was used to a Double (what you call a Full?) - so it really had to be a King for us both to have a chance of sharing well.  Traveling, we share smaller beds just fine, so long as the mattresses don't have a lot of roll-together!

Downsides to a King are, as already mentioned, the price of the linen, the huge hassle of shifting it, and the sheer space it takes up in the bedroom.  We hardly ever shift house.  We use our linen to death (just have had to replace some, after 14 years), and have only bought houses with a master bedroom big enough for the bed (we've just shifted into our 4th house since getting married). 

There is no way we'd ever permanently downgrade, although I totally agree with the poster upthread who said what a huge difference the quality of base and mattress make.  We got rid of our first King bed about 3 years ago (mold.  gross), and switched from a box-base to a slat-base with good mattress.  Hugely better sleep as a result, and way less cross-disturbance when one partner decides to roll over by launching himself in the air, spinning, and crashing back into the mattress, while curling his duvet around him.  For instance.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »
As others here have said, we prefer a queen because we cuddle. When we sleep on King sized beds (like in hotels), it takes me several rolls to get to his side, and it's way too easy to just not cuddle with all the space. He jokes that he would prefer a king, but says it doesn't really matter, because even if we had a king, he'd still just have his tiny sliver of the bed!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 05:14:50 AM »
Full!

Maybe we are extra small people but it really doesn't seem squished... at least until the pets decide to join us. We can easily sleep without touching if we want to. Eventually I think we will upgrade to a queen so we can have a little more space to accomodate the animals and our future kid.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:07 AM »
Full size all the way!

Agreed! I hate hotel rooms with a king! Plus I get cold in the middle of the night & have to crawl across a cold spot to find my human furnace! Queen works great for us. We sleep on a full when we go home to my parents' house and it's a little snug.

LOL at human furnace.  I sleep sandwiched between my husband and dog on a full, but I'm lanky and always cold.

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 06:06:07 AM »
full (UK double).

We like to be close, a double is nicely proportioned in our room and kings are so much more expensive for everything.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:11 AM »
King.  I sleep very hot and need my space.  We had a queen for a while and it was okay, but I am much happier with the King.  If we have to sleep in a double, I get very little sleep. And in the summer, we'd have to run our A/C almost constantly.  I can't sleep without the weight of a blanket (not just a sheet) on me and a hot or even warm room doesn't work for me. 

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:24 AM »
Full for 30 years; Six feet and 5'8".  I think kings are isolating ( for us, anyway).  My friends say it's too easy to go to bed mad in a king.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 06:29:12 AM »

+1

Future Lazy

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
1 year on a full that belonged to someone else; I found myself climbing the edge of the bed a lot. When we moved and I had to purchase, I bought a queen, and we've loved it since. Of course, we like to cuddle, so... There's that, too. :)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
To all these cuddly sleepers: Are you SURE you're both cuddly sleepers? Maybe your partner is just doing a "hug 'n roll."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0eStJlnNKo

chuckaluck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 07:25:21 AM »
Always had a full with springs until about 8 years ago.  Then we got a queen with foam.  Obviously it is bigger but with the foam, but the biggest benefit is that neither one of us gets awakened when the other moves or gets into or out of bed.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 07:48:36 AM »
A single in university was fine.  A double when we started working and were saving up.  A king at the moment.  Based on my results, there appears to be an inverse correlation between amount of sex and bed size.

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
Queen.

I'm like Goldilocks. A full is TOO SMALL. A king is TOO BIG. A queen is JUST RIGHT.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Queen size for 33 years of marriage, but we have enjoyed King-sized beds in hotels, and it always makes us go, "hmmmmmmm......   nahhhh"   :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
Queen because the Hub is tall and likes to really stretch out lengthwise.  We cuddle so intensively that I joke we are doing synchronized sleeping.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
Definitely Queen for me.

We had a double bed for quite a few years, but then with small kids sneaking in to cuddle, it just got too squishy.  We upgraded to a Queen two years ago and it is AMAZING.  It's just right, and it's nice for my hubby too, because a double is only 72" long, while a queen is (I think?) 78" long.  Now his feet don't hang off the end anymore!

I personally don't like King beds.  Just too big.  Always feel weird when we sleep in one at a hotel.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »
.... I sleep in a queen and I'm by myself and I find it "small" :( And no I'm not "large" but I like to wake up and get lost in the bed and "find" my way out of it. If it's smaller I get depressed about having to wake up and rolling onto floor. Yes, I'm unmustachian when it comes to sleeping :) Well, at least I don't need scents/noise, just pure darkness, comfy bed and 6 pilllows and 2 blankets (thick/thin)

But I might want a longer bed next time, my toes hang off now
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:02:29 AM by eyem »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!