Author Topic: If you could only get one magazine subscription, what would it be?  (Read 18508 times)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
Re: If you could only get one magazine subscription, what would it be?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
You recycle them like any other paper? Although magazines like National Geographic I'd keep forever (space allowing).

No way to recycle anything here, let alone paper. Another reason I don't like having them --they go straight to a landfill.

Downside of living in a rural area, I guess…

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »
Thanks for all the input, though I have to say you make me feel frivolous!  I read a lot of non-fiction, but it's mostly books and mostly on the bus.  I never read magazines until I had kids, and then I discovered it was the only "reading" I could do with them, as long as I picked magazines that could withstand many interruptions, therefore mostly fluff with snippits of information or opinions.

The thought of trying to read The Economist with three kids and three dogs circling around is very unappealing, though the magazine itself is right up my alley.  Plus, my day job deal with relatively weighty topics, leaving my brain seeking refuge in lighter topics at night.  But along with lighter topics come downright frivolous crap and I struggle with that (particularly in "women's" magazines).

So...I've decided that I will let all subscriptions lapse and will start getting magazines from the library if I feel like I have time to read them (the two-foot pile of unread magazines beside me is probably evidence that I don't).  I will be checking out many of your recommendations if our library system carries them. 

Thanks for all the good ideas!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
You've had plenty of responses to this question. I'll just add my vote:

Harper's! Way less snobby than The New Yorker and better/more interesting editorials. You can get a 12-month subscription online for $14.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
You recycle them like any other paper? Although magazines like National Geographic I'd keep forever (space allowing).

No way to recycle anything here, let alone paper. Another reason I don't like having them --they go straight to a landfill.

It is, but fortunately it can be worked around by not bringing stuff into the house in the first place.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »

It is, but fortunately it can be worked around by not bringing stuff into the house in the first place.

I lived in a pretty rural area for a long time. We had a "transfer station" where you could drop off your recyclables and they would ship it to a facility. There was a small fee but it was offset by what you didn't have to pay for garbage service. You sure you don't have one of those?

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
New Yorker and Economist. Talk about bang for your buck. For 100$ per year, these two magazines deliver weekly and it is almost impossible to keep up with reading them all. If you do actually read both of them cover to cover, you'll be informed about pretty much every subject in this country and around the world.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
The Week.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
National Geo from your list.  Mother Earth News, otherwise.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »

I lived in a pretty rural area for a long time. We had a "transfer station" where you could drop off your recyclables and they would ship it to a facility. There was a small fee but it was offset by what you didn't have to pay for garbage service. You sure you don't have one of those?

The county just south of us has a transfer station, and the town several miles north of us. But our county only has a landfill and no public trash service. I have smuggled recyclables to the other county, sometimes, (the town watches more carefully, and they're not at all nice about smuggling...). I used to take paper to work with me to recycle until one semester when I had early classes and watched the janitorial staff dump the paper recycle bins in the regular trash day after day. Now we just try very hard not to bring things home in the first place.

a.g

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
Mental Floss. Hands down the most interesting magazine I've ever picked up.