Author Topic: If not YNAB, then what?  (Read 2345 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
If not YNAB, then what?
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:16:13 AM »
My 19 year old really needs to learn budgeting and living within her means, especially because this year she will not be living in a dorm but renting a place with some friends.  We had several money discussions and she is willing to track her spending but "needs" an app for her phone to do so (a notebook and pen would do just as well in my opinion, but being a typical teenager she is much more likely to do it if she can use her phone).  Any suggestions for a simple, preferably free app that would allow her to set a budget and track spending? 

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Re: If not YNAB, then what?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »
For free, I'd recommend Mint.com.  I'm using YNAB and really enjoy it, you can often pick it up for not much money, especially with an affiliate discount.

A good excel spreadsheet works well too, but doesn't have the "cool" phone app factor.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
Re: If not YNAB, then what?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:21:16 AM »
We love our YNAB and its phone apps (Droid and iPhone).  It is a very effective method to stay on track and is fun for us.  She can try a free 30 day trial to see if it works for her.  Then, if she wants it, buy it from someone here, and get $6 off the cost.