Author Topic: If not Whole Foods, then where???  (Read 19317 times)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: If not Whole Foods, then where???
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:38 AM »
Costco.  If they don't sell it, I probably don't need to consume it

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »

That sounds like a boring way to eat. Like others I tend to go for the dirty dozen organic when possible, but for the most part I choose local and seasonal over everything else. Admittedly, I do this stuff for taste at least as much as health. The average grocery store tomato is flavorless garbage IMO whether organic or not for example.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »

I've had really bad luck with Costco produce recently.  Grapes and lettuce went bad in a week.  Although I often have bad luck w/ produce so maybe I'm storing it wrong....

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
We get pasture raised meat, dairy, and eggs.  We try to do organic when possible for the dirty dozen (mostly apples and greens), but don't fret over the rest.  We eat as seasonally as we can (tastes better, is fresher, and cheaper).  "Organic" as a label can be quite deceptive, just like "raised without hormones" or any other BS label.  There are "organic" pesticides.  You can raise a chicken without hormones and still stuff it into a building with 200,000 other chickens that are knee-deep in feces and never see daylight.  The pasture-raised (at an actual local legit farm that we've seen) meats, dairy, and eggs are the most important to us.  We also get wild-caught fish, but that's more readily available.

Most people think it's crazy how healthy we eat.  I can't think of the last time I stepped into the Whole Foods.

We get our meat from a local farm that has a monthly CSA.  They also give us eggs.  We get raw Guernsey dairy from a different local farm.  The bulk of our produce, nuts, spices, and seafood comes from Costco and Meijer.

Even if you do continue shopping at Whole Foods, you can do kind of OK there as long as you do steer clear of the "healthy junk food" there that's stupid expensive (fancy crackers, cookies, organic pop tarts, gluten-free shit in a box for eight bucks) or "pre"-anythinged anything (cup of "fresh mixed fruit" with six strawberries, two raspberries, and four blueberries for $8, etc) and be mindful as you shop.  The meat and dairy there are good stuff (for the most part), but priced accordingly.  And plenty of it is NOT pasture-raised (like none of the pork and most of the chicken), so not worth the premium.  Wild-caught seafood is outrageous there, and fairly available at other grocery stores.  The produce is usually only slightly more expensive than elsewhere, with a few organic exceptions being insane. 

If you're willing, cut down on the organic on things like onions so you can pay $0.49/lb at Costco instead of $2.50/lb at Whole Foods.