Author Topic: Ideas wanted for replacing wood boards at gables  (Read 2780 times)

Beardog

• Bristles
Ideas wanted for replacing wood boards at gables
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »
Hello, fellow Mustachians.

In order to apply lead roofing flashing where my side porch meets the gable end of my house, the vertical boards which are used to finish the gable must be removed (please see attached image).  I'm told these boards are too brittle to remove and then put back, and am taking this opportunity to replace the vertical boards with something more easily maintained.  I've had bad experiences with composite and PVC materials in other applications, perhaps due to poor installation, and as a result I am not wild about using these types of materials.  A lumber yard suggested 1x6 WP4 cedar tongue and groove boards, which I would leave bare or stain.  Whatever material I use, I don't want to paint it because the gable ends are hard for me to reach on a ladder.

I'm trying to select a good quality but cost effective product for this application which is modestly attractive.

Does anyone have any ideas of alternatives to the 1x6 WP4 cedar boards that I'm considering?  If you are enthusiastic about composite or PVC materials, I would be interested in hearing what products you used to get a good result.  In my experience with composite decking installed by a contractor, the drill holes were not made properly and there was a mound of composite material around the screws that looked unsightly, the decking warped, the color faded and it got moldy.  Could be just bad installation technique.

~ Beardog
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:42:43 AM by Beardog »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Ideas wanted for replacing wood boards at gables
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:20:39 AM »
Lots of options; cedar, vinyl siding, vinyl soffit type material installed vertically, Hardee board plank siding, T-111 "sheet type" wood siding, metal siding or soffit material, stucco, etc.
Personally, I think that cedar is the best solution.  Get pre-primed material, prime all cuts before install, caulk as you go, then a good coat of exterior paint after installed.

Note - Very few use lead flashings anymore.  A good aluminum material will outlast all of us.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:25:01 AM »
I'd avoid lead for a number of reasons.

aside from the toxicity thing, I had to replace some lead flashing shorting after roofing my house. My neighbor feeds squirrels, so we're over-run with the things. They apparently find lead to be an excellent garnish for the peanuts. (no joke!)

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:36:17 AM »
Interesting about the lead flashing.  I knew it is toxic but didn't realize there is a good option in aluminum.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!