Author Topic: Ideas to prevent trespassing  (Read 24440 times)

Left Bank

• Stubble
Ideas to prevent trespassing
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
I have a rental property in an OK but realistically less than desirable area of town.  The property has a chainlink fence around it but in the back where a small corner of my property abuts another backyard, a passage through the fence had been cut.  It is not recent because it was there when I got the property a couple of years ago.  Now, I am noticing it is not just the neighborhood kids cutting through but adults are using it to walk through my land to the front to access my street.

If I put a new fence up, I am sure it will just get cut.  What to do? 
Thinking about planting a rose bush or maybe poison ivy back there in the corner. 
Any other (legal) ideas?

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ideas to prevent trespassing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

Pyracanthas are valuable ornamental plants, grown in gardens for their decorative flowers and fruit, often very densely borne. Their dense thorny structure makes them particularly valued in situations where an impenetrable barrier is required. The aesthetic characteristics of pyracanthas, in conjunction with their home security qualities, makes them an alternative to artificial fences and walls. They are also good shrubs for a wildlife garden, providing dense cover for roosting and nesting birds, summer flowers for bees and an abundance of berries as a food source.

I have one of these under a window on the first floor of my house. Perfect burglar deterrent...

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
hm how far is it to the road? I'd imagine making a fence just inside of the property, and take down the chain fence. It might be easier to just make a corridor and let them pass through it. And leave a sign/note saying this is private property but you are can use the path if you do not linger/cause destruction.

I mean once they know they don't have to "cut" through a fence and you went out of your way to let them cross your property, they might feel safer walking through it and not sneaking. I know you "lose" some land at your expense but it might foster better neighbors in that they might watch out for the property so thieves/etc doesn't actually break in for anything other than to pass by. I mean "inviting" people to pass by in a less than desirable area makes it harder for thieves to get in if they are worrying about someone passing by.

If you really want to keep them out, a dog would work :S if you wanted to get one. If they are cutting through fences, then a bush or ivy wouldn't matter. It isn't just one or a few people using it if it is already a known "path" and adults are using too.

Left Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »

I have one of these under a window on the first floor of my house. Perfect burglar deterrent...

Excellent!  I'll look into that. Thanks

Left Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:15 AM »
I mean "inviting" people to pass by in a less than desirable area makes it harder for thieves to get in if they are worrying about someone passing by.

Thanks Eyem, but that is not really appliciable here because the people that are passing are the main reason the area is undesirable and a dog is not an option as I don't live there.

Numbers Man

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
I had the same problem at my last property. But the property was in an upscale neighborhood. Plantings don't work, I think Eyem had a great solution to this problem.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
You may want to think about potential liability for "inviting" people on to your property. I would be wary of that sort of thing.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
You may want to think about potential liability for "inviting" people on to your property. I would be wary of that sort of thing.

+1

Install a fence that is very hard to cut through -- taller, of different material, perhaps with a hotwire (but ONLY if you also put prominent signs saying "Caution: Electric Fence").

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »

A 140+ lb dog works fine for me.

But you are talking about a rental.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
I would be concerned that continuous use of the property by others has created or will create a public easement.  To avoid losing your property rights, I would talk to the owner of the property behind you and see if you can agree that a fence is needed to protect both parties.  Then build the fence and post "no trespassing" signs.  Enforce your rights by inspecting it every few days and repairing any new holes.  Make it impossible to get to the street by constructing side yard fences near the front of your property, completely enclosing the yard.   Call the police if trespassing in the enclosed yard is observed.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Just buy some fake bones and put them around the area..maybe bury some. Drop a few spent ammo shells too. Trespassers will get the hint.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »
I would be concerned that continuous use of the property by others has created or will create a public easement.  To avoid losing your property rights, I would talk to the owner of the property behind you and see if you can agree that a fence is needed to protect both parties.  Then build the fence and post "no trespassing" signs.  Enforce your rights by inspecting it every few days and repairing any new holes.  Make it impossible to get to the street by constructing side yard fences near the front of your property, completely enclosing the yard.   Call the police if trespassing in the enclosed yard is observed.

+1

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
If they're willing to cut through a fence, I suspect they would be willing to cut down/trample any plants you think of planting.  Repair the fence and get a security camera.  Report the vandalism to police if it happens again, and provide them with the video.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
Be sure to clearly document all your efforts to prevent trespassing. Post no-trespass signs and take before and after pictures.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »
If they're willing to cut through a fence, I suspect they would be willing to cut down/trample any plants you think of planting.  Repair the fence and get a security camera.  Report the vandalism to police if it happens again, and provide them with the video.

Vandals are lazy too.

Fix the fence, put up those plants, make it too much work and they'll take the path of least resistance.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
Just buy some fake bones and put them around the area..maybe bury some. Drop a few spent ammo shells too. Trespassers will get the hint.

Kill one, and leave the body where the rest can see it. Keeps em from getting frisky. Robinson Crusoe did it, so you know it's legit.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
I think this needs to be brought up, and it hasn't been mentioned yet.

How much is the rent on this property per month?  Installing cameras, planting flowers, adding a second fence, creating a path for people ... these are all things that cost money.  Certainly it sounds like you want to do something, but there's also a need to weigh which something you do against the costs that will cut into your rents.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
I had this same problem on a rental 4-plex. I put up no trespassing signs and fake cameras. I also added another fence on the front of the property with a gate, and I padlocked it shut before I had tenants in there. The problem stopped.

My friend had a problem with kids from the bus stop climbing over a wire fence all the time and messing up a common area with trash. We put axle grease all over the top wire of the fence one night. The next morning the kids climbed it, got covered with black grease, and never did it again.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:07 AM »
I'd be careful about planting such a shit weed in your garden. (Maybe it's not a weed in the US/your area, though).

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
I'd be careful about planting such a shit weed in your garden. (Maybe it's not a weed in the US/your area, though).

Careful? Shit? Weed? What don't I know about this plant? The only thing I know to be careful for is the giant thorns when I prune it. Otherwise it has been a very pretty, and beneficial, addition to my yard. I haven't noticed any undesirable characteristics such as sending up new plants ten feet away (I have the nandina to thank for that). I keep mine pruned into a tree shape, about 8 feet tall. I receive a lot of compliments on it, as it is very ornamental.

Care to expound on this a little? What evil lies beneath the surface of this thorny shit weed?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:45:17 AM by hoodedfalcon »

Left Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »

Vandals are lazy too.

Fix the fence, put up those plants, make it too much work and they'll take the path of least resistance.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.  One issue that may not have come through with my initial post is that I feel my efforts need to be measured because these lazy, stoned, <25yr olds may not have an issue damaging other property than the fence should I post signs, cameras and threaten police action. 

Mending the fence, axle grease and planting thorn bushes may be enough of a deterrent for these lazy fvcks.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »
I don't know this other plant that was mentioned, but holly bushes might be a good idea.  You can buy them in pots already relatively large, so they'd be less likely to be trampled, and they're a tough, easy-to-grow plant.  They're pretty bushes with loads of red berries in the winter, but the leaves are very rigid, and those little pokey ends HURT! 

As for the axel grease, that reminded me of something I did in my classroom a couple years ago:  I had a couple boys in my class who, as they exited the classroom every day, liked to jump up and grab the door frame and do 10-12 pull-ups.  The three of them would purposefully rush to the door and take turns doing this.  It was a problem because while they were using the doorway as their personal gym, the rest of the class was caught inside the room, unable to exit, and it was turning nasty.  Being 17-year old boys (idiots), they thought this was terribly witty.  I think they believed the girls'd be impressed, but they didn't seem all that turned on.  I got tired of telling them to stop and being ignored, so one day I smeared the top of the doorway with Vaseline.  The first boy who jumped up and grabbed the doorway fell right on his butt and complained loudly that he had gunk all over his hands.  The rest of the class loved it, and the problem ended. 

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. This baby puts out up to 3 joules, and 14,000 volts of kick. If it will stop a hog or horse, it will stop a people.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=146ea066-9778-499b-9d53-704e05969aef

Having been accidentally shocked by it myself, I promise you they will only touch it once.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:21 AM »

Careful? Shit? Weed? What don't I know about this plant? The only thing I know to be careful for is the giant thorns when I prune it. Otherwise it has been a very pretty, and beneficial, addition to my yard. I haven't noticed any undesirable characteristics such as sending up new plants ten feet away (I have the nandina to thank for that). I keep mine pruned into a tree shape, about 8 feet tall. I receive a lot of compliments on it, as it is very ornamental.

Care to expound on this a little? What evil lies beneath the surface of this thorny shit weed?

HAHA!  Notice how the Wikipedia article he cited doesn't even contain the word weed ...

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »

+1

Yeah, you MUST take action to stop this, or you will loose your property rights over that area. It's called adverse possession... a goofy legal construct, but none the less.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Love the axle grease idea.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »
How about the motion detector triggered spray heads that are used to deter deer?

I found it was incredibly effective at keeping cats out of the garden.

Maybe the stoners don't like to get wet either?

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
with the electric fence thing and the grease... if they are children cutting through and get hurt because of it

"Furthermore, an adult trespasser who is injured while on a defendant's property cannot sue under a theory of strict liability, even if the landowner was engaged in ultrahazardous activities, such as the keeping of wild animals, or the use of explosives. Instead, the trespasser must prove that the property owner intentionally or wantonly injured the plaintiff to recover. The exception is a child who is trespassing to play on ultra-hazardous items on the land. Since these trespassers are considered "anticipated" they are excepted under the doctrine of attractive nuisance."

I'm no lawyer and that's from wikipedia... but something to consider?

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
How about the motion detector triggered spray heads that are used to deter deer?

I found it was incredibly effective at keeping cats out of the garden.

Maybe the stoners don't like to get wet either?

If you do this, please video tape it for all to see.

Storypage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
with the electric fence thing and the grease... if they are children cutting through and get hurt because of it

Electric fences now days don't do damage. Yes, they are painful, but no damage, even one with as much kick as mine.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
I dont know a ton about this, but I know that in some jurisdictions a trespasser injured by a purposefully set trap can sue and win. You can't put trip wires or traps or hazards that are hard to detect. You can likely garden and fence to your hearts content. But what's to stop them making a new hole somewhere else?

Definitely a tough problem.

I would try mending the fence and planting the bush and if that gets vandalized, turn to law enforcement.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »
Have you tried contacting the local law enforcement and asking them for suggestions?  They may be also be able to tell you which of these ideas from MMM readers are legal in that area.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
My dad just got surveillance cameras for the apartments he manages. He's a big fan, but he mostly uses them to catch license plate #'s. I'm not sure how that would go with identifying faces.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »
What about just planting blackberries?  They're self-propagating, they're thorny as heck, and I defy anyone to amble their way through them. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:43:50 AM »
The sprinkler idea is a great one . . . and should be pretty cheap.

glennstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »
The previous owner of my house had a similar problem.  Neighborhood kids would hop the fence and cut through the yard using it as a "short cut" to the middle school close by.  He noticed more and more kids coming and going as the word got out.  He was an "old timer" and a pretty clever guy.  To stop the kids he went to the auto parts store and got some engine grease.  He coated the fence area the kids were using with a healthy coat of engine grease then sat back for some free enteretainment.  The kids that tried to hop the fence ended up getting engine grease all over their clothes and hands.  They were pretty upset about it, but learned the valuable lesson that it was better just to take the sidewalk to school     

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
The sprinkler idea is a great one . . . and should be pretty cheap.

They're about $50 at Amazon.  I used one to deter a pesky squirrel in the garden.  (It works... but in my case I probably needed 5 or more of them).  You could build one yourself I am sure.

...and yes: video please.

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
I just got one of those Costco motion sensors lights that tracks motion and records it to a memory card.  Just put it uP today after receiving some threats over a vehicle I acquired and registered (legally) that a previous owner sold for scrap (without doing the necessary paperwork).