Author Topic: ideas to make money from my giant garage  (Read 4337 times)

heartygrain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ideas to make money from my giant garage
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Our house has a detached garage that can fit 3 cars and also has a workshop on the first level.  Above it is a second floor, which is divided into 3 good sized rooms and a small room that looks like the previous owner wanted to make into a bathroom, but it is not plumbed and there is currently no water to the garage.  There are natural gas heaters in each room that I do not currently run.  There is even a small 3rd floor.  It's probably almost 1000 square feet.  I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with this space?  It is not zoned for an apartment so I could not legally put one in although it would make a nice one.  Could I rent out the space to folks who want to store stuff?  Or are there any home businesses I could get into which require lots of storage space?  I would appreciate any ideas.  Thanks!

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
Re: ideas to make money from my giant garage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
-rent it out for parking? (common where I live since most people are relegated to street parking)
-rent it out for people to store their junk/tools/lawnmower-type-of-things
-rent it out for an artist or craftsperson to use as their studio? (I have friends who are woodworkers and they are always needing more space to store wood, tools, and to work in)
-could you fix it up and rent it out on Airbnb? (probably not if it's not zoned to be an apartment, but maybe?)
-dance studio? (for self or others)

Hmmm, it's definitely an interesting problem to have... I'm curious to see what others suggest.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Our house has a detached garage that can fit 3 cars and also has a workshop on the first level.  Above it is a second floor, which is divided into 3 good sized rooms and a small room that looks like the previous owner wanted to make into a bathroom, but it is not plumbed and there is currently no water to the garage.  There are natural gas heaters in each room that I do not currently run.  There is even a small 3rd floor.  It's probably almost 1000 square feet.  I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with this space?  It is not zoned for an apartment so I could not legally put one in although it would make a nice one.  Could I rent out the space to folks who want to store stuff?  Or are there any home businesses I could get into which require lots of storage space?  I would appreciate any ideas.  Thanks!

Fix it up, rent it out on craigslist. "It's not zoned." "Yeah, but they're just my guests crashing here for a little while, it's not an apartment." Nobody's zoned to rent a room out on craigslist either, but nobody really cares. As long as the living space meets code.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
Storage space renting or if you fix it up into a mini rental for living.

Boats, Cars, Stuff, etc.

Find out what the local storage place rates are so you can have competitive pricing. Cash/check only.