Author Topic: Ideas for using up coconut chips?  (Read 1983 times)

duellingbanjos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ideas for using up coconut chips?
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:46:26 PM »
As in the title, I have 2.5 one pound bags of these: https://nuts.com/driedfruit/coconut/unsweeted-chips.html

I purchased these before I went on a low-cal diet. Now, the parameters of my diet preclude me from snacking on the chips with wild abandon. Nor can I stomach more than an ounce per day, even if I wanted to.

I need to find a way to cook/preserve these before they become rancid. We've cooked these into beef biryani for the freezer - tastes great but again, very high calorie. Another limitation is that I don't have a working oven, so I can't bake these into yummy cookies for my co-workers.

Any recipes/uses welcome! Especially those that involve making these into snacks for unsuspecting colleagues.

LoneStar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Ideas for using up coconut chips?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:29 AM »
Shred them up some more with a knife, shred some carrots with a grater, chop up some beans, stir fry with chicken.  Add coconut toward the end.  My partner is from Indonesia and cooks all the time with shredded coconut(it's a common ingredient there).  It's yum.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
I don't know if it will work with coconut chips but I have made coconut milk out of dessicated/shredded coconut.

Think it was 1 cup dessicated coconut to 4 cups boiling water. Let it soak for an hour or two and then strain it through cheesecloth. Lots of recipes on the internet...

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
If you're concerned about them going rancid, put them in the freezer as you use them down.