Author Topic: Ideas for son's 9th b-day party?  (Read 2612 times)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Ideas for son's 9th b-day party?
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
We nearly threw money at my son's birthday.  I booked a boat to Monkey Beach (if you couldn't tell from my name we live in Malaysia).  The party of 7 boys could've fished and played on the beach.  The captain and his first mate would cook a full meal.  Done and done right?  Sure, but when I booked it the rates had gone up and it alone would bust our budget for the b-day.  DH and I both felt uncomfortable in violating our mustachian pledge.  We cancelled.

Now we're having the party at a local park. We're going to do a treasure hunt.  That's where our ideas have dried up.  What to have them find?  What will be the prizes?  IDK!

Here's what I do know: every one of these boys is into minecraft.  So, I'm going to bake a creeper or enderman cake. I may make some minecraft cookies too. 

We have about a $100 budget.   One consideration is that we can't hide food (e.g. minecraft cookies in ziplocs or even lollipops) because monkeys are everywhere and they are quick and sneaky! We'll continue looking online for ideas, but I thought I'd ask here too - since you all have more experience with doing awesome stuff frugally.

At first DH and I were energized by the idea of being creative.  But now we're feeling a little lost.  Any ideas?

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ideas for son's 9th b-day party?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
Are there obvious landmarks in the park so you could do the hunt based on clues, meaning that each clue gets them to a specific location to find the next clue. You could describe the location in a riddle format or specify number of steps & direction from a place. It's probably best if they solve this as a team rather than individuals. The final location could have a "treasure chest" with prizes, & one of you should keep an eye on it so that no one else gets the treasure.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
Creeper and tnt balloons were a hit at our sons 10th bday.  Just drew on a green ballon with sharpie.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
you can make some really neat minecraft rice krispy treats.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:59:13 PM »
GizmoTX - you solved one of the sticking points.  By making it a team effort with one prize to share at the end, we needn't worry about what to get for 1st and 2nd etc.  We can make a treasure chest of coins, lollipops, and maybe some of the mine-craft cookies in a monkey-proof tupperware container.  Storing one monkey proof item is easy - but storing many all over park not so much. 

Shopskr - will look for green & red balloons today - sweet idea!  Seeing some great ideas on pinterest now.

If I can find cheap rice krispies (cereal in Malaysia is crazy expensive) I'll make the treats.  I think I remember seeing the tesco brand at Tesco was pretty cheap.  And we already have the green food coloring.  Woot!

Thanks guys.  Your suggestions have gotten the creative ideas flowing again.