Author Topic: Ideas for kids careers  (Read 4311 times)

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
Ideas for kids careers
« on: October 16, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
I always assumed that my three smart children would grow up, go to college, and find a successful career like their parents did.  The reality is turning out to be a bit different, and I'm realizing that I need to be planning not only for my future but getting more involved in theirs as well. So I'm here looking for advice.

In a nutshell, they all have issues (which I will detail in a moment) which affect employment.  Add to that graduating into a terrible job market, plus the frightening prospect of the decline of many blue collar jobs (example: the largest job category for US men involves driving-cabs, trucks etc- a category that will disappear with automated vehicles in the next ten years) and I'm quite concerned about their prospects. I'm hoping for your input on careers I might direct them to, or businesses I might help them start.

One has mild Aspergers, graduated from a prestigious colllege with a pretty useless history degree. He's extroverted but socially awkward, suffers from anxiety, not a self starter but good with routine jobs with clear expectations.

One is working on a social work degree which should ensure modest but reliable employment despite transgender status.

One has just two years of community college, has anxiety, OCD, depression, mild Tourette's. Doesn't want to go back to college until he has a good idea of why he's there. Artsy, not science oriented, but good with music and design on computers.

All three are quite brilliant. I'd like to help the first and third find sustaining careers.  I've even thought of helping them start some kind of business, but not sure what small businesses have a good future and decent income potential?

Alternatively, any suggestions for in demand job skills they could learn?

Also, I would be willing to work a few more years to fund a business or further training if the payoff was good.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
Re: Ideas for kids careers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
I have a friend with Asperger's who is a teacher. He has done well at it for almost 20 years. Yes, he is socially awkward, but in some ways this actually helps him relate to the kids.

I have another friend whose child has Asperger's -- fairly severe -- and he just graduated college and is going into coding. This requires an aptitude, but it is a skill that offers lots of potential for good earning.

With a degree in history, maybe he could find work behind the scenes at a museum?

I always hear that jobs in medical technology are in demand -- things like Xray technicians, sonogram technicians, etc. These require a period of training, but it is months, not years.

I'm not sure starting a business is really the answer. What are you going to start that they will be able to continue?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »
One has mild Aspergers, graduated from a prestigious college with a pretty useless history degree. He's extroverted but socially awkward, suffers from anxiety, not a self starter but good with routine jobs with clear expectations.
If he's not a self starter then you should not at all consider starting a business. A 1 year program for a teaching certification sounds like it may be a good fit. There aren't many jobs for history majors.

One has just two years of community college, has anxiety, OCD, depression, mild Tourette's. Doesn't want to go back to college until he has a good idea of why he's there. Artsy, not science oriented, but good with music and design on computers.
How about web development? Learning Wordpress and getting into web design is a viable job. However there's a lot of competition and you really need to know your stuff and set yourself apart.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »
My husband is a social worker--he always says the degree offers a huge amount of flexibility in career path. He's had half a dozen jobs that were all pretty different, although at this point he works with homeless vets and will probably do that for the long-term.

He got his LCSW, which required a master's degree and a lot of clinical hours. The payoff has been pretty great, though; he makes a good salary with the federal government and has the potential to move up quite a bit. He says that with a BA in social work the options are still pretty diverse, and it's easy to find work, but the pay is generally poor. He works with a few transgender colleagues. It's a field that seems to be fairly tolerant, as far as his experience has been.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »
There are a lot of decently well paid civilian jobs around military bases. I grew up next to a naval shipyard and submarine base, and almost my entire family works well-paid blue collar, mostly manufacturing or similar jobs at these bases. My dad can barely read and makes more than $100k/year as an electrical technician and will receive a pension of 65% of the salary he retires.

My husband has mild aspergers and is very smart, but suffers from a lack of motivation. He's unemployed right now and almost exclusively applying for state and federal jobs. Good career momentum once you get in if you don't majorly screw up, good benefits, and pretty stable.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
The middle one is on track to get a masters in social work, I agree that is a good track. The Aspergers one I don't think could handle the parent interactions involved in teaching. He could learn coding but my programmer friends seem to end up with a lot of job instability; not good for him. I've thought about civil servant jobs for him, just not sure what's suitable and has decent earning prospects?

Youngest has tattoos and uses medical marijuana for his anxiety and Tourette's, will exclude him from some jobs.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »
Paraphrasing a recent MMM article: "get computers to do stuff for you and you will become wealthy":

One has mild Aspergers, graduated from a prestigious colllege with a pretty useless history degree. He's extroverted but socially awkward, suffers from anxiety, not a self starter but good with routine jobs with clear expectations.
Software quality assurance: limited real programming involved so non-tech background is OK; attention to detail important and hard to find. Accountancy: again, attention to detail that is a strength of the Asperger's mind. Both jobs would be better for this one of your children at a large company with clear expectations.

UI/UX designer. Can get work based on a portfolio of projects. Specialize in UI/UX for the disabled and you have a very in demand skillset.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:40:57 PM »
Youngest has tattoos and uses medical marijuana for his anxiety and Tourette's, will exclude him from some jobs.

Lol, society has opened up a lot in the past 10 years. Having tattoos is really not a big deal, and he won't be able to get a job at the fbi but that's not a big deal. I work in a stuffy accounting environment and my boss is covered in tattoos.

Your kids sound fine. Are they living on their own? As long as they are living on their own I would back off a bit. Sounds like typical young people finding their way in life. I'm most concerned about the depression in the third one.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
Are they good at math?  Accounting

Quirks are generally tolerated and its a legal skill set you can sell by the hour

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:05 AM »
It sounds like you care a lot about them, which is great, but you are also trying to micromanage them because of it.  I vote back off a bit and let them try to figure things out. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »
I also vote to back off a little.  It sounds like they have been coddled and are "enabled" to choose a lifestyle that doesn't require financial independence.

Programming has never been as strong as it is now.  With android, iPhone, computers, gaming systems, and countless other outlets the market has a high demand.  I work with developers in the IT field and will assure you every single one of them makes 6-figs.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
I agree with backing off.  Unless they have actually asked you for help / advice, let them find their way.  If they were all able to graduate from college, they have the skills to figure this out for themselves.

DrF

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »
I kind of agree about the backing off a bit. But, you should set a firm expectation that they strive for a job more than delivery driver or part time tutor. With a history degree in hand, your one kid could easily apply to a 2 year masters program in almost any field they want.

If you instill frugality into your children, they should have the power to take internships/entry level jobs in fields outside of the educational expertise that many others couldn't due to low pay.

If you're into real estate, or would like to get into real estate, that seems like a perfect family profession.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
I think it's a good idea to introduce kids to some tools that can help them research employment opportunities, job outlooks and typical requirements, but you can't pick careers for them.  So, I'd point them in the direction to do some research and then back off.