Author Topic: Ideas for a career  (Read 4205 times)

carloco

• Stubble
Ideas for a career
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
      The wife is starting to explore other careers.  I thought perhaps you all can offer some ideas.  She graduated in 1991 with a BSed in Mathematics.  She has been teaching since 1997.  Other than looking for a teaching job in a different county.  Any suggestions for a mathematics teacher with 18 years of experience?

ltt

• Pencil Stache
Re: Ideas for a career
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
Actuary was the first thing that came to mind, but there may be exams which need to be passed.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »
What does she like about her job? What does she dislike? We can give better suggestions if we have an idea of whether, for instance, she loves math but is sick of working with kids, or loves working with kids but can't stand the school politics/environment that teachers are in right now.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
Depending on the age groups she likes teaching and her math background, could be a corporate trainer for analytics.

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:58:31 PM »
I'm a stock analyst for a major retailer. Basically our team is in charge of analyzing the amount of product selling at stores, moving from distribution centres, etc.

It's lots of excel spreadsheets, extracting data, detective type work finding trends, etc.

I find it pretty interesting.

I've also worked in freight and logistics with a lot of mathematical type work. 

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:23 AM »
What does she like about her job? What does she dislike? We can give better suggestions if we have an idea of whether, for instance, she loves math but is sick of working with kids, or loves working with kids but can't stand the school politics/environment that teachers are in right now.

She loves working with kids and she is sick of the politic. 

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:48:30 AM »
Depending on the age groups she likes teaching and her math background, could be a corporate trainer for analytics.

That's one of the suggestions I gave her;  But how does she would go about finding a job like this?

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »
If it's really just the politics, she could look into switching from public to private school (or to a private school with a better environment, if she's already in private). Or she could consider working in an afterschool/enrichment program, or tutoring - particularly in HCOL areas there's huge demand for math tutors. Or even summer camp director - that's a very different pace of work but who knows, it might suit her...

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:21:26 AM »
  Thanks, Etselec, She is applying to a different school district.  Her fear is that things may not be that much different.  Tutoring is possibility.  I don't think that it can be a long term solution.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
If applying to a "less-BS" organization doesn't work out, I think a quick certification in database analytics and strong Excel skills would make her a good candidate for those sorts of jobs. I work with a former math teacher who's doing exactly that.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »

That's one of the suggestions I gave her;  But how does she would go about finding a job like this?

Start researching companies in the space (and especially their partner pages since this is sometimes serviced externally), or look at some of the open source options like R or Python.  She could start playing around with data sets/competitions via Kaggle to see if it interests her with no cost too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!