Author Topic: Rental car insurance in foreign country  (Read 2355 times)


  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 244
Rental car insurance in foreign country
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
We are traveling from US to England and I confirmed with my insurer that way coverage doesn't apply.

He recommended taking the rental car insurance,but that is very expensive.  It also seems to only protect the car I am renting, not liability for damage to others. 

What is normal in these situations?


  • Magnum Stache
  • ******
  • Posts: 3417
  • Location: The Other Side
Re: Rental car insurance in foreign country
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
Liability is covered in normal rates. CDW is covered through my credit card (visa platinum). What company are you renting from?  I will be in Scotland in June and renting from enterprise and that is what I'm doing.

ETA:  liability=third party coverage. Ask your rental company to confirm that it's included.  As to CDW it is called excess coverage. You need to waive it for your CC coverage to apply.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:01:30 PM by ZiziPB »

SF Semi-Mustache

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 87
  • Age: 38
  • Location: san francisco
Re: Rental car insurance in foreign country
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
Same as above.  I normally use my credit card insurance.  It paid out fine when my car got dinged in Mexico. 

Note that most insurance does not cover Australia and New Zealand, so I had to hunt through my credit card brochures to figure out which of my cards did (Citi). You should double-check and make sure England is covered.  Perhaps it's a "letting American drivers drive on the left side of the road" thing.


  • Walrus Stache
  • *******
  • Posts: 8422
  • Age: 62
  • Location: Corvallis, Oregon
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Rental car insurance in foreign country
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
On my Chase visa (United airlines) which says it covers rental car insurance, it says to check with the program manager to see if coverage is provided in the country you are renting in.. I have no idea what this means.. and as I am going to the UK for a month this Summer I intend to check it out with Chase.

As I am English, maybe they will insure me on the other side of the road.

Oh remember lane discipline is enforced, passing on the inside is not permitted and travel speeds are tolerated up to 90mph on the motorways (or at least it used to be).. Move to the slowest lane available, that would be the left lane... Or you will get some very unhappy people behind you!


Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!