Author Topic: I would like what I do (job) if it didn't take so much time.  (Read 6842 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
So I have been thinking about this a lot. I kind of like my job it's challenging (sometimes) and rewarding to me. However I don't like having to do it for a big chunk of my waking hours. For me a typical week day goes like this.
Wake 5:30-6:00 am (alarm is set for six but I am normally, up by then)
6:00-6:30 ish practice Spanish with duolingo and drink coffee
6:30-7:15 do some sort of work out
7:15-7:50 make breakfast for the wife and me,  pack mine and sometimes her lunches,  and make sure all the dishes are cleaned up and in the dishwasher
7:50-8 bicycle sprint to work
8-4:30 pm work, work, work
4:30-4-45 bicycle cruise home
4-45-6 work on crap around the house run errands mow the yard basically what ever needs doing.
6-6:30 help the wife make dinner (if I have all my stuff done)
6:30-8is eat dinner, relax, and catch up on the day over a couple adult beverages
8:00-9:00 take the dog for a walk around town
9-9:30 get cleaned up and start winding down for the night
9:30-11 watch something on Netflix and more than likely fall asleep on the couch.

As you can see we keep quite busy and I don't think we can add anymore items to the day  since we only really have the last 1-1.5 hours of the day as down time. Does anybody else feel like this? Is this the real reason we all want to FIRE?  Do you ever stop and contemplate what it would be like to gain those 8+ hours a day back? I could list a crap load of stuff I would like to add to my life I just can't find the time.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: I would like what I do (job) if it didn't take so much time.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:09:14 AM »
ok I'm pretty drunk right now so don't think you have to listen, but I'm going to rant anyway cos I can't pass up the opportunity.

You have it sweet, and you are a being a complainypants

I get up at 6, and it takes me an hour to get my shit together in the morning. By 10 past 7 I'm out the door, before getting to work a little after 8:30 (a 90 minute commute).

I then work my ass off for less pay then my colleagues, putting up with god knows how much politics and leave around 8 - 9 pm, for another 90 minute commute home.

But I know that I still get paid rather well and shedloads of people out there have it worse off than me.

I cannot remember the last time I got home at 5pm after leaving work, perhaps it was never.

I don't stop to wonder what it would be like to get 8 hours back. I stop to wonder what it would be like to get 14 hours back.

So I have been thinking about this a lot. I kind of like my job it's challenging (sometimes) and rewarding to me. However I don't like having to do it for a big chunk of my waking hours. For me a typical week day goes like this.

4-45-6 work on crap around the house run errands mow the yard basically what ever needs doing.
6:30-8is eat dinner, relax, and catch up on the day over a couple adult beverages
9:30-11 watch something on Netflix and more than likely fall asleep on the couch.

I can only dream of that. You have so much time .

It's all about perspective

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
Wake 5:30-6:00 am (alarm is set for six but I am normally, up by then)
6:00-6:30 ish practice Spanish with duolingo and drink coffee
6:30-7:15 do some sort of work out
7:15-7:50 make breakfast for the wife and me,  pack mine and sometimes her lunches,  and make sure all the dishes are cleaned up and in the dishwasher
7:50-8 bicycle sprint to work
8-4:30 pm work, work, work

As you can see we keep quite busy and I don't think we can add anymore items to the day  since we only really have the last 1-1.5 hours of the day as down time. Does anybody else feel like this? Is this the real reason we all want to FIRE?  Do you ever stop and contemplate what it would be like to gain those 8+ hours a day back? I could list a crap load of stuff I would like to add to my life I just can't find the time.

I see plenty of flex time built in to this to add an activity that you're interested in.

You're currently doing the following voluntary activities:
30 min - practicing Spanish
45 min - unstructured workout (unstructured often means aimless . . . pick some goals, find a routine and maximize your efficiency here)
2 hrs - puttering around (errands can be more efficiently run if you save 'em up and do 'em all in one go either once during the week, or on the weekend)
30 min - making supper (cooking a couple big meals on the weekend is usually a more efficient use of time than making multiple small individual meals during the week)
1.5 - hrs watching TV

So I'm seeing 5 1/4 hrs of optional time each day.  Seems pretty relaxed to me!

BubbaMc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
What do you do for a living?

Can you work away on a time on/time off roster?

I've just started working 20 days on 10 days off, and having 10 days off in a row is so much better than weekends.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
My day looks fairly similar to yours and I also like my job, just not doing it for 40+ hours. One idea that I have is to go PT a year or so before I FI. It may drag out my time to FI, but I think I would enjoy the ride a whole lot more. I may even continue to work well beyond FI. I'm not sure if that is a possibility in your job, but if you are a valued employee a lot of companies will try to make it work.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:13:16 AM »
ok I'm pretty drunk right now so don't think you have to listen, but I'm going to rant anyway cos I can't pass up the opportunity.

You have it sweet, and you are a being a complainypants

Ha ha ha!  I'm not drunk, and I thought the same thing.

Then again, I have two kids.  I remember feeling how busy I was pre-kid.  Then post kid, when my friends would say they don't have time to do laundry or grocery shop, I would giggle.

You have wiggle room. Frankly, I'm surprised you get as little sleep as you do, all things considered.

You have time to practice Spanish and work out every day.

You bike to work and back (admittedly this doesn't appear to take much time).

You have an hour and a half for eating dinner, having drinks, chatting with the wife, and relaxing. And another 1.5 hours for TV watching.  And an hour to walk the dog.

Um...that's four hours.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
GuitarStv thanks for the suggestions. On the work out it is structured it is just different every day. It just seems like by the time I get out there get warmed up work up to my weight on each set and then cool down, stretch and do just a little mobility work. That is Monday Wednesday Friday.  On Tuesday and Thursday I do some cardio work like sprint intervals with a 10 minute Warmup and 5 minute cool down. Maybe I should dial it back or remove some of the rest time in between sets.
I'm hoping some of the time spent doing errands and chores go down in a few weeks, we just moved into a new house there has just been a little added workload that comes with the territory (rebuilding even p-trap cause they are the old galvanized type that rot and corrode and start slowly leaking)
Sometimes we do hove left overs for dinnew and this does free up a lot of time, but most of the time they get taken for lunch the next day.
On the TV deal sometimes this is replaced with reading but I normally don't make it to far into the book and then I'm nodding off. Or I get really into the book and next thing I know it's 2 am lol.
I work for the electric company as a substation and meter tech/lineman. It's a union position so hours are clearly defined in the contract. We can't even get the company to go 4-10s through the summer. Which isn't the best option but at least you have 72 hours off straight.
I wasn't try to be complainypants.  I was just asking if anyone else stopped and pondered what they would do with freeing up those 8+ hours a week and possibly what those activities or lack there of would be. First one I would implement would be a thirty minute nap after lunch lol.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
Only the last 1-1.5hours of the day as downtime?  What about that hour walking the dog?  You could turn it into a run and cut the time down.  Or practice mindfulness while walking bowser, converting that entire hour into "down time". 
630-800 is 1.5 hours of dinner, "catching up," relaxing and cocktails?!  How is this not down time? 
You spend 30 minutes cleaning up and "winding down" for the night then 1.5 hours watching television.  Despite the current cultural belief that TV is relaxing/vegging out, with very few exceptions, TV will be showing you things/noises that won't help you 'wind down.'  Tune out & turn off!

Don't wish for more time to so you can sleep more or do more.  Take more mindful steps to enjoy this minute and in it rest or do, now. 

Oh and, "if you don't have enough time, stop watching television"

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
Oh and, "if you don't have enough time, stop watching television"

That is what I meant by down/unproductive time. I think I was misunderstood.  I was not trying to complain at all and in the very least I feel extremely fortunate to be in the situation I am in. All the items/activities I listed are things I consider add value to my life (other than TV) and help create happiness in mine and my wife's life. I'm terrible sorry if how I was trying to explain myself came across as a complaint that was not my intention. I recently quit a part time electrician gig that would have probably helped obtain full FIRE way before I will now. However I feel like the downshift of not pulling double duty has made my current self such a happier person (just ask my wife) that it's worth every penny of lost income. I guess I will rephrase my question. What sort of activities and what do you want an average day of full FIRE (no obligations whatsoever) to look like? I know i could fill the 8+ hour void not having to go to work pretty easily and probably still not have enough hours left in the day.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »
GuitarStv thanks for the suggestions. On the work out it is structured it is just different every day. It just seems like by the time I get out there get warmed up work up to my weight on each set and then cool down, stretch and do just a little mobility work. That is Monday Wednesday Friday.  On Tuesday and Thursday I do some cardio work like sprint intervals with a 10 minute Warmup and 5 minute cool down. Maybe I should dial it back or remove some of the rest time in between sets.
I'm hoping some of the time spent doing errands and chores go down in a few weeks, we just moved into a new house there has just been a little added workload that comes with the territory (rebuilding even p-trap cause they are the old galvanized type that rot and corrode and start slowly leaking)
Sometimes we do hove left overs for dinnew and this does free up a lot of time, but most of the time they get taken for lunch the next day.
On the TV deal sometimes this is replaced with reading but I normally don't make it to far into the book and then I'm nodding off. Or I get really into the book and next thing I know it's 2 am lol.
I work for the electric company as a substation and meter tech/lineman. It's a union position so hours are clearly defined in the contract. We can't even get the company to go 4-10s through the summer. Which isn't the best option but at least you have 72 hours off straight.
I wasn't try to be complainypants.  I was just asking if anyone else stopped and pondered what they would do with freeing up those 8+ hours a week and possibly what those activities or lack there of would be. First one I would implement would be a thirty minute nap after lunch lol.

Hey, you know I quit my last job because I was working 30 hrs/ week and they told me they wanted me to go back full time.  So I found a part time job.

My coworker said, "it's only 10 hours a week". I said "IT'S TWO HOURS A DAY.  So, what should I stop doing?  Sleeping? Working out?  Hanging out with my kids?"

Anyway, you can free up time by cooking double or triple.  And well, if you are nodding off while reading a book, maybe you need more sleep.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
If I had more time I would surf more, cook/experiment in the kitchen more (it's one of the places that acts as a creative outlet for me).  I've been thinking a lot about finding a job in a Ramen house or on a food truck so I can work with food and people and learn more of an area of cooking/cuisine about which I know very little.

I'd also play some video games here and there.  I haven't played a video game in 3 months and I'd like to play 2-3 hours/week. 

I'd like to do more backpacking too (6 days in Yosemite next week!).

And just generally spend more time with my girlfriend and friends.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
I don't particularly dislike my work as a software engineer. But I would certainly like more free time to travel, and go on long bike rides, and just to relax. And I make far more money than I need to live on! So my goal isn't necessarily to be fully retired at a young age, but working part time would certainly be nice— 3 or 4 day weeks, 9 months a year. And I would like to have enough money that I don't need to worry about any reduced job security or career risks that come from working less.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
Yes, I feel the same way.  Like others, I'm also jealous of you -- particularly I can't get by on 7 hrs sleep per day.  There's no way I could regularly get up at 5:30 (without the alarm!) if I passed out at 11 pm.  I do it occasionally before a particularly busy day, but just no.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »
I'd like to do more backpacking too (6 days in Yosemite next week!).

Bad ass have a good trip!

Yes, I feel the same way.  Like others, I'm also jealous of you -- particularly I can't get by on 7 hrs sleep per day.  There's no way I could regularly get up at 5:30 (without the alarm!) if I passed out at 11 pm.  I do it occasionally before a particularly busy day, but just no.

I've just kind of been hard wired to wake up ~5:30. Growing up there was two hours of chores to do before heading to school. I could probably cut the TV time out all together (or read for thirty minutes). However I just can't get out of the shower and go right to bed. I'm normally nodding off/ sleeping before 11. That's just what time I end up in actual bed.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »
Like others, I think you have a pretty sweet schedule, but I get that wasn't what you were asking/saying.  You were talking about what you'd like to do if you weren't working those 8 hours, and that question is valid whether you're working 4 hours a day or 12 hours a day--it takes time that could be spent on other things.

Time doesn't seem to be my biggest enemy, but energy.  It seems like I ought to be able to do more with the time I have available outside of work, but I just don't have much energy left.  I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with that time/energy, but I'd sure like to experiment!

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Does anybody else feel like this? Is this the real reason we all want to FIRE?  Do you ever stop and contemplate what it would be like to gain those 8+ hours a day back?

Yes, I constantly feel like this.  If I could do what I do for 3-4 hours a day instead of 8, I'd be actually happy with employment.  I'm not happy doing ANYTHING for eight hours a day -- watching movies, exercising, socializing, it doesn't matter.  It's too many hours devoted to essentially the same thing, day after day.

I think that humans have evolved to work hard for 3-5 hours a day (not even necessarily all at once) and socialize, rest, and play games (e.g. child rearing, leisure activities) for the remainder.  8 plus commute for decades is just ... ugh. 

In my experience, employers offer a 1-size fits all schedule for the vast majority of office workers.  You can't take half salary to work half of the hours.  Once in a while a specific employer might let you get away with 4-day workweeks but even that is rare and some of it depends on what job/industry you're in. 

And yes, the employer model has absolutely helped drive me toward FIRE.  I simply don't like so many of my hours every day being devoted to work and because part-time positions are so difficult to find/negotiate, I've concluded that it's easier to just hit your number and be done with the office game entirely.

True Anecdotal Backing Story: A very well qualified software engineer was let go from my current employer demanding for 4-day workweeks.  (She was ready to accept the corresponding 20% reduction in compensation, no problem). Rather than jump through the administrative hoops required to grant her request, management just let her walk, figuring they could hire someone else.... and they have.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:15:32 PM by Dr. Doom »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
Does anybody else feel like this? Is this the real reason we all want to FIRE?  Do you ever stop and contemplate what it would be like to gain those 8+ hours a day back?

Yes, I constantly feel like this.  If I could do what I do for 3-4 hours a day instead of 8, I'd be actually happy with employment.  I'm not happy doing ANYTHING for eight hours a day -- watching movies, exercising, socializing, it doesn't matter.  It's too many hours devoted to essentially the same thing, day after day.

I think that humans have evolved to work hard for 3-5 hours a day (not even necessarily all at once) and socialize, rest, and play games (e.g. child rearing, leisure activities) for the remainder.  8 plus commute for decades is just ... ugh. 

In my experience, employers offer a 1-size fits all schedule for the vast majority of office workers.  You can't take half salary to work half of the hours.  Once in a while a specific employer might let you get away with 4-day workweeks but even that is rare and some of it depends on what job/industry you're in. 

And yes, the employer model has absolutely helped drive me toward FIRE.  I simply don't like so many of my hours every day being devoted to work and because part-time positions are so difficult to find/negotiate, I've concluded that it's easier to just hit your number and be done with the office game entirely.

True Anecdotal Backing Story: A very well qualified software engineer was let go from my current employer demanding for 4-day workweeks.  (She was ready to accept the corresponding 20% reduction in compensation, no problem). Rather than jump through the administrative hoops required to grant her request, management just let her walk, figuring they could hire someone else.... and they have.

This nicely encapsulates all of my feelings on the issue.  I hate being forced to do the same thing for 8 hrs a day.  It's not the work, it's the lack of variety.  About 3-5 hours is my maximum for any one activity to continue being fun.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!