Author Topic: I want to sell my TV, but the living room will be empty without it...  (Read 9483 times)

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
I bought this tv on big sale couple years ago. It's 60", I wanted to buy a smaller one, but all of them were more expensive than this model :)
I don't have a cable, bought it only for playstation, but I don't play much, I also have a big computer display in another room.

So, I want to sell my TV, because I don't even remember when was the last time I turned it on.

Here's the problem:
If I sell it (with stand), then what is the best way to fill my empty living room? :)
What would you do?
(check out attached photos)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:20:36 PM by ildar »

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I want to sell my TV, but the living room will be empty without it...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
Couple ideas - watch craigslist for a couple coordinating chairs and a square coffee table (shown in first image below) or watch for a long low seating bench and rug to bring things together, rotate the couch. What you do with the additional furniture is flexible. I assumed that you took the photo from an open area - i.e. the living room has no fourth wall. Let us know what you end up with.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:33:40 PM »
A area rug to bring the focus of the room to the middle, two armchairs, coffee table - maybe some wall art.

Craigslist free section in my area has amazingly good stuff on it frequently. Ikea also makes some super cheap coffee tables.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
Think about what you want  to do in your living room and what you want it to say about you and go from there. +1 for rugs being a great way to fill space. My living room is where i nap, play music and entertain so its focused on that... i have space to mix cocktails too :-)

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
I assumed that you took the photo from an open area - i.e. the living room has no fourth wall

yep, you're right, I just added 2 more photos from different angles to my first post

Ikea also makes some super cheap coffee tables

all our furniture is from ikea :) you can't beat the price, and we like their minimalistic style

Think about what you want to do in your living room and what you want it to say about you and go from there

To be honest, I don't really care much about what my living room will say about me.
My plans are when we will have a baby, to use it as a big crawling range :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:33:23 PM by ildar »

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:38:21 PM »
What else is in the room with the big computer display? Maybe the rooms can trade places.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »
We have never had a TV in our living room (we do have an older one to run netflix/ancient video games down in the basement den, though). For the first couple of years after buying our house, our living room felt empty. And then, while at a garage sale, I realized what it was missing when I spotted two lovely art deco-esque chairs. The mister and I enjoy sipping coffee or a nice brew together. Cafes are a favorite cheap date spot. So, the couch now sets in the spot where TV "should" be, there is now a small cafe table and two chairs by the window where the couch "should" be. It gives us a small, intimate conversation area to unwind together, and is a favorite spot for guests to claim when we entertain. Even the kids use that spot often for playing card games together. It's just a cozy spot that added a lot more usability to our living room.

Create a space you want to use. We've been conditioned to see the TV as a the focal point of the room, so start by adjusting that mindset. We use the fire place as the focal point, and adjusted the seating arrangements accordingly. Once you are no longer looking at the TV spot as the main focal point, the usage and arrangement patterns become much more obvious.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:05:10 PM »
Depending on your climate, you can buy great heaters that look like fire places at Costco. Then you have a mantle as your focus. Or like others have said, two chairs to make a conversation area. Or a bistro type table. Or a big reading chair and a little shelf next to it. Also, don't be afraid to play with angles. I see your sofa is pressed all the way against that far wall- play with "floating" the sofa, angling it, etc.

Art on the walls will help too. Large pieces really anchor a room. (And that large piece can even be a big canvas you make yourself and play with some modern art styles. Doesn't have to be expensive. And/or use a frame from a goodwill print. If it's awful and gold or something, don't be afraid to paint over it)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
A few months back lifejoy posted about removing the TV from her living room and how to reinvigorate / reorganise the space, but I can't for the life of me find that thread. Anyone?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
A few months back lifejoy posted about removing the TV from her living room and how to reinvigorate / reorganise the space, but I can't for the life of me find that thread. Anyone?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/home-decor-changing-the-'dying-room'-into-a-living-room!/

a moist sack of nickels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »
put up some arts instead ya dingaling!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/home-decor-changing-the-'dying-room'-into-a-living-room!/

Thanks I.P.

ryanthequark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 02:15:01 AM »
Get a large plant. I work from home and do so in an improvised cave made of plants; they make me immeasurably happier throughout the day. That is, aside from being beautiful, they bring me joy and improve my mental health. Highly recommended.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 05:44:50 AM »
Ikea Poang chair, with a little side table and lamp. The poang is cheap, very comfortable, takes up lots of space if youu need it to (with the footstool).  Ours it by a window in the LR with a lamp, and it's a great place to read.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
Books. Of course. Why is there even a discussion.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
Books. Of course. Why is there even a discussion.

Books are for Nooks.  I encourage the use of eReaders as having so much paper to store/move/manage can be a pain.  Once you get over the shock of paying for data instead of paying for a physical object and accept there is no resale value, books aren't the best use of space.

I have a treadmill, couch, and TV wall mounted in my living room.  I'm thinking of moving the TV to the bedroom, but might just buy another TV.  Of course buying another TV is at least three spaces down on the list of new moderately expensive stuff I want.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
Get a hot tub :D Or you know, a fish tank/plants/babies

it's just open space, you don't even need to fill it. You should be the one to "occupy" the space and not a furniture. Find something to do in the room that requires the space

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
Step.  Outside.  The.  Box.   Get rid of the tv and see how it feels for a while, let the function dictate the form instead of using the consumer drone, blank wall = must buy purposeless impersonal crap decorating approach.  I find that when I declutter, eventually the remaining possessions feel like plenty.  Entropy (and a child) will fill your living room before you know it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:19:55 PM by frufrau »

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
Uh, frufrau, you say entropy? OK, I'll bite. What's thermodynamics got to do with interior decor?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:22 PM »
Bookcase (it can hold stuff other than books)

Large piece of art on wall (a nice quilt?)

Nothing.  Minimalist.  Nothing wrong with that.

We don't have a TV in the living room.  It lives upstairs in a 3rd bedroom that is rarely used.  Without a TV, our living room is fuller than we like with a couch, rug, coffee table, 1 large bookcase, 1 small bookcase, and some other smaller things that hold kids' stuff.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
Personally I'd get a big canvas from an arts and crafts place and paint something abstract.  As long as you pick nice colours it's pretty hard to fuck up abstract art.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:24 AM »
Also, feel free to explore the "sitting on the floor" thread going on for inspiration about ground living =) Might be a great way to set the stage for a little tyrant child to come and run enjoy your home. =D

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
Step.  Outside.  The.  Box.   Get rid of the tv and see how it feels for a while, let the function dictate the form instead of using the consumer drone, blank wall = must buy purposeless impersonal crap decorating approach. 
+1 Although I might move the couch over to the other wall (where the telly is now). I feel the open space would be better that way round.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 12:48:07 PM »
put up a mirror or pictures.  or art.
or a book case.

add in a couple more chairs.

or a console table with a lamp and a small fish tank.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »
Have you considered keeping the TV as the lowest cost option?  I doubt you will get enough for the TV to pay for whatever you replace it with.

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
Uh, frufrau, you say entropy? OK, I'll bite. What's thermodynamics got to do with interior decor?

:)

Definition 2.  lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder. 

Things will gradually migrate into the empty space. Probably not via thermodynamics.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
Things will gradually migrate into the empty space. Probably not via thermodynamics.
I'm arguing that point, kids are explosive :D

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »
Remember you're decluttering - try for the minimalist approach!