Author Topic: I want to buy an expensive thing! Talk me down!  (Read 14656 times)

homeymomma

• Bristles
I want to buy an expensive thing! Talk me down!
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »
Ok so my husband and I are living in his moms house (just us) for the next 2-4 years. We have just finished paying off all our student loans and are debt free. Now we're intending to save the money we're not spending on rent toward a down payment on a house later- long term goal (3/4+ years.) We have a toddler and I'm 13 weeks with #2. We have a 10,000 emergency fund and are well on our way saving for delivery of baby #2 as well.
Here's the problem: I want to buy a bed! We have a hand me down queen bed that has the two people pockets/wells/saggy spots and is generally squeaky and annoying. My husband has been waking up with terrible back pain and I have always wanted a king bed, especially since we will soon have TWO tiny flailing octopuses sharing the bed with us on occasion. (Ak!) I also hate our current bedroom furniture. It's creaky and dark and cheap and I don't like it! (Insert childish foot stomp here).
So my husband dragged me into a discount furniture store and of course I found a mattress I loved (700 for a "tempurpedic" with cooling layer....ahhhh) and then of course I found a bed I love. And now not only do I want a bed, I want the whole bedroom set because the bed wouldn't match our current stuff (1000 for the bed only, 1400 for the whole set)
Help me! We have been soooo good at being frugal to pay off loans I feel like I "deserve" a splurge, but at the same time of course I realize that NOT spending the money is better than spending it.
But I WANT it! And in the grand scheme of saving that gigantic, intangible number for a house down payment, $2000 seems like nothing. We would obviously pay cash but it's so un-mustachian. I KNOW.

Face punch please. Or if you're feeling nice maybe suggest a stop gap alternative?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Re: I want to buy an expensive thing! Talk me down!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
It sounds to me like you can probably justify buying a new mattress.  The new bed and furniture, however, doesn't seem wise.  Get the mattress (which probably comes with a free or super cheap bed frame so there's no true need for a fancy bed frame) and live with the storage pieces you already have.

Also, keep in mind that because you are changing the size of your bed, you will need all new bedding.  So this $700 mattress will cost you $700 plus new sheets (a summer and winter set, perhaps), a new comforter and bed skirt, new blankets, etc.  So I think your $2000 is a significant underestimation, even after you upgrade that to $2200, because it sounds like it is $700 plus $1400 (plus taxes, delivery charges, and whatever else they tack on). 

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
I'll let others chime in about the need to get the full bedroom set but I say that a mattress is where you spend a third of your life, so it's important to have a good one. You want to wake up rested, not with aches and pains from a crappy mattress.

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I would get the mattress and then look for a bedroom set on craigslist or facebook swap groups...  furniture is marked up like jewelry! horribly!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
I am firmly in the "Buy yourself a decent mattress" camp. Especially if there is physical pain from sleeping on a crappy mattress.

That's the part that you want new anyways, definitely be looking for second had deals, there is always going to be people coming and going, and often people don't want to move their while bedroom sets.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »
You could always go the cheap mattress + nice topper route that we did.  Something like $140 for a (queen size) mattress, and then $60 for a memory foam topper.  Super comfy.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
I'm actually totally OK (and in favor) of spending money for a good mattress. It makes SUCH a difference and will be the best money you ever spent.

But the bedroom set...come on!  Resist that.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Like the others said, a good mattress is one thing, but the furniture is another story :P

We actually just have a mattress on the floor - used to have a platform bed, but it creaked and was annoying so we just got rid of it. This actually might be great for kids - no worry about falling down/hitting heads or something...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
Agreed with pretty much everyone else. New mattress sounds like it would be SO worth it. Furniture, not so much. You can wait and find a better (used) deal. [I know this is irrelevant/non-Mustachian but] IMO matched sets are kinda passe/tacky anyway. Craigslist or flea market it one piece at a time :)

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »
You spend one third of your life in bed. Make sure it's a good one. Fortunately, there are tons of consumer tools available online that allow you to thoroughly evaluate product and price for new mattresses. Tempurpedic is much more affordable than it used to be, and is generally considered to be a quality, durable product.

Go for it.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
What about first trying a new memory foam topper on the bed that you have?   If this doesn't work you can then maybe get a cheaper mattress for underneath?

Have you considered trying to move the toddler to her own bed?   You can get very inexpensive toddler beds with mattresses at places like ikea (or even a small mattress on the floor).   I suspect something like that would be much less than upgrading to king.

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
Yeah... You're all right. Grumble. My husband does NOT want a bed on the floor. I really don't understand why. I was thinking we could just buy the mattress (+ box springs would bring it to 1000, which seems crazy for two twin box springs). Put them on the floor, then buy an actual bed/different furniture/whatever when we move from here. He is opposed... Which is how I started to get sucked in to the whole "set" idea.
But, rocksinmyhead, dude, you are totally right. They are passé! Lol! That is actually the most persuasive argument so far. Hahaha. I'm such a girl.

Ok so follow ups: I'm concerned (assuming my hubby HAS to have an actual bed) that getting a craigslist/used one will end up with the same creaky squeaky problem we have now. I really want a sturdy bed. One that will hold up for years unlike our previous ones (all metal frames).

Is 700 for a tempurpedic style mattress good? If we need the box springs too is there a better place to buy them? I was vaguely thinking costco?

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
Our toddler already sleeps in her own bed actually, a full mattress on the floor (an old futon mattress of ours but it's heavenly). She just occasionally ends up in bed with us, though admittedly not that often. It's more likely it will just be baby #2 in bed with us when he or she refuses the crib or whatever. The two kids in the bed with us is a pretty thin argument since it would be rare that would actually happen.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
I would definitely vote for getting a new mattress -- especially if one of you is experiencing back pain -- ouch!

But the bedroom furniture I would skip. I feel like if it were me, I'd be dealing with major buyers remorse, looking at it every day, remembering how much money I overspent on it, etc. Ugh! I hate that feeling!

Could you possibly paint or strip/stain your existing set? Lots of good tutorials online about this.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
hahaha! I'm glad it helped. I thought I might get slammed for being superficial, but (slowly, cheaply) turning my house into an aesthetically pleasing, somewhat stylish living space is one of my obsessions, so I feel ya :)

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »
We used our original box spring and got a Spa Sensations mattress from Walmart.  We have been really happy with it (I think it was a 12" one).
Like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-12-Theratouch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/10086752

I don't know how it compares to the fancy memory foam mattresses that cost a lot - but it is sooooo much better than our old standard spring mattress.

ljp555

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
I agree with the majority here. New mattress is legit, furniture not.

I had been eyeing a ridiculously priced desk from Pottery Barn. I'd almost convinced myself to go for it, but I eventually found the exact piece for a fraction of the price on craigslist. Also decor-wise, I think it's homier to have different bedroom furniture pieces rather than a matching set.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »
You can get an inexpensive frame (rails with wheels) so the bed isn't on the floor.  Stick with just the mattress, look for a great deal on CL for the bed.  Sure you're afraid the CL one won't be good quality...you go check it out first, and don't buy it if it's squeaky. :-)

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
You are all right, as usual. Craigslist has quite a few things just from a single search. People really don't want to move their beds, do they?? Lol.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
Agree with everyone else here.  A new mattress is great, but the furniture, not so much.

Bedding for a King mattress is expensive.  I bought a King mattress and spent a LOT on bedding. 

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
Definitely sounds like you need a new mattress.  Getting a good night's sleep is imperative to a happy, healthy life!!  So definitely get a new mattress.  I'm thinking possibly you could find a nice "new" set on Craigslist?  Have you looked?  It's amazing to me some of the really nice stuff you can find on CL for a lot less than retail.  Also, possibly consider painting the current furniture?  If you do have to go with new, be SURE to make it a choice you can live with, well, for the REST of your life!!  Seriously.  My parents still have the set they bought when they married, 58 yrs. ago.  So it is a kind of investment.  So if you splurge for it, make sure you can live with it for a looooooooooong time!!  Good luck!  (and don't hesitate to wheel and deal with them at the store!!  Say "well, I can go only go up to this $XX" - and knock a few hundred off of their asking price - you may be surprised!)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:32:45 PM by SJS »

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
Here's the thing to know about Tempurpedics.  They have to be "broken in."  The ones you try out in the store, which are so comfy and inviting, have thoroughly been through the breaking-in process.  Until they go through that, they're hard, like sitting on a block of wood hard.  To break them in quickly, so they don't involve you sleeping on a hard wooden slab for several months, they recommend that you jump up and down on the mattress for a long time.

Even with that, the one I bought never became very soft.  I returned it just inside the three-month return time frame.  Three months of trying to make it bearably soft.  (And then it took two years to get my guaranteed-no-problems money back.)

A lot of people return Tempurpedics for this reason, so there is a whole market of returned mattresses, which are sold by authorized dealers.  They've all been returned within three months.  One friend who did get one and kept it, got it cheap by this route.

But I'd say forget all that and buy a deep foam topper, or a cheapish regular mattress and a nice foam topper.  Keep the queen-size.  By the time your tiny ones are big enough to start crowding the bed, they won't want to sleep with you any more.  And a king-size takes up a lot of room, in addition to needing all new items of the most expensive size of bedding.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
First, CONGRATS on all the mustachian excellence with low housing costs and epic debt destruction!!! YOU ROCK.

Second, DO GET A NEW MATTRESS.  Like you, we had one that was brutal and we've were limping along with it.  We FINALLY (after too many months of PAIN) got a new mattress and it is the bomb.

Third, try to get an epic deal on a platform bed.  The more evenly-placed support your new mattress has, the longer it will last.  There are probably some good deals on craigslist or Facebook selling groups.  Or you can score a good deal online with some ninja purchasing skills.

Fourth, enjoy your nights' sleep when you get your new goods.  And rest easy in your money saving skills without guilt of having bought an unnecessary "set."

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 05:42:21 PM »
I think the mattresses at Costco are really nice for the price.  They also sell the foam toppers, which will turn that mattress into a $1000 mattress.  We have one in our guest room and everyone loves it. 

We just have a metal frame supporting our mattress/box spring.  I made a headboard out of plywood/foam/fabric which looks very cool and is also a comfy back rest.  It's not squeaky and I love the look.  Good luck!

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
Good mattress = worth every penny.  I see beds for sale daily on CL and local FB sales groups.  You can even get beautiful full bedroom sets from people who are moving and don't want to have to move a full set.   

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »
You don't "need" a new bed set, you "want" it. Do you want it more than your FI goals?

As for the mattress: you don't necessarily need a new fancy mattress either. I've spent most of my adult life on a 5-6" foam mattress  (in Australia they cost about $75 AUD), on a slat or solid base. If I sleep on a fancy pants hotel bed mattress I usually get back pain ( sometimes I have to do this for work). I started using the foam mattress whilst saving for a better mattress.   Within a few years I preferred it and never got around to changing it. I understand its till common in Japan to sleep on the floor on a fairly thin mat.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
Resist the size change. Definitely resist the furniture purchase.

We put off a mattress purchase for arguable too long. Ended up with a base model Sleep Number because my idea of comfortable is quite different from DW. Generally hate the feeling of foam anything, but YMMV.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
I spent an unholy sum on a mattress a few years ago. I'm just going to say it was four figures and leave it at that. I've never spent so much on anything that wasn't real estate or a car. And every time I get into bed, it's worth it. It's on a bed frame they threw in for free, and the rest of our bedroom furniture is stuff from IKEA or literally picked up off the side of the road.

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
You'll be surprised how much time the 4 of you are in it. The kids will be young so be prepared for at least one instance of urine or vomit getting through the pad and barely on to your pristine bed.

Yep, Find some other furniture. We spent a lot on ours and its not that great. I'd even spend more to obtain good, solid wood.

schoopsthecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
There are lots of tempurpedic knock offs out there...some are crap, but a few brands are really just as good quality for a fraction of the price...you just need to make sure the foam density is the same as the tempurpedic.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:30 AM »
Have you flipped/rotated your mattress? It might be worth trying that, and possibly adding a foam topper too.

ETA: If you're moving in as little as 2 years, the furniture you buy now may not work in your next place, so I wouldn't spend too much on that right now.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 07:56:57 AM »
I hear a lot about people and back pain and how a good mattress helps that. So sure, a new mattress is a good thing to buy.

I am 59 years old and do not have a bedroom "set" or anything that matches. I do, however, have a nice 'stache. Watch your priorities. Matchy matchy is kinda uncool, anyway.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:03 AM »
Get the new mattress and if you need a new matching bedroom set get one on Craigs List for a lot cheaper! Then you can have your cake and eat it too! :-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
FUCK buying a mattress.  The idea that a good mattress is fundamentally important to your life, happiness, sleep, etc. is a load of crap.  I slept on blankets on a carpeted floor for most of my teenage years.  When I first met my wife in university she gave me a free futon to sleep on (on the floor) which worked fine.  I've never had back pain, or problems sleeping until my wife insisted that we get a mattress at our new house.

Mattresses suck.  Dare to buck the herd mentality.  Sleep on the floor.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 10:49:50 AM »
Costco mattresses are supposed to be really good, and so are IKEA mattresses.

We recently bought my daughter a very nice bed from IKEA for very cheap - $179. I think they deliver, so you could order online. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29931577/

Even if you decide to do a full suite, you could get a bed, dresser and nightstands for under $500. This would get you the "new" you're looking for, and it could always become your kids if you later want something different.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »
If you are concerned about quality on a vintage/used piece, I wouldn't be.  New furniture has taken a nosedive in quality since the mass market manufacturers (your pottery barns, similarly-priced retail sellers, and on down the price ladder) have outsourced their manufacturing to China.  Many used pieces are from the era when American furniture companies made their furniture in America, and the quality is noticeably better than new pieces.  Plus, while I'd hesitate to get an upholstered piece on CL (bed bugs), wood pieces that are easy to clean are no problem.

Search for Baker, Henredon, etc.  Many major furniture brands only started outsourcing in the 90s.  For example,  I think Henredon is now made in China, but that's relatively recent.  There are furniture experts out there who have better information on this than I do, and you can do some digging on the web.

Lastly, I wholeheartedly agree that matched bedroom sets are passe.  Go look at the domino magazine archives or House Beautiful and see for yourself that none of those lovely bedrooms photographed in design magazines include a matching bedroom set. This trend works in your mustachian favor, so embrace it and wait for perfect junk shop pieces to complete your room.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
Buy the mattress and build the furniture.    You can make an upholstery wrapped headboard for super cheap with very few tools.    Just have the hardware store cut a piece of mdf or ply, then wrap the wood with batting and fabric.     Staple with an inexpensive staple gun and hang on the wall.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
You can get an inexpensive frame (rails with wheels) so the bed isn't on the floor.  Stick with just the mattress, look for a great deal on CL for the bed.  Sure you're afraid the CL one won't be good quality...you go check it out first, and don't buy it if it's squeaky. :-)
This is what we have. My mother refers to this style as a Hollywood bed frame. They are inexpensive and have a place at the head to attach a headboard at some point if you desire. For us it is worth having because it increases storage in our bedroom since we can use under the bed storage boxes. Also ours can accommodate full, queen and king mattresses.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
I also agree with getting a new mattress.  We have purchased a couple of memory foam mattresses off Overstock and loved them.  I am not sure if it is the same as temperpedic, but they are great.  Here are the king sized choices:  http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Memory-Foam-Mattresses/King,/size,/4512/cat.html?sort=Top+Sellers&searchtype=Header

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
LOL. Thanks everyone, you've successfully talked me back from the ledge. This is why we never (normally) go into stores like that in the first place! It looks like we're going to get a memory foam mattress online (amazon or overstock) with a cheap metal frame with legs instead of box springs or a big bed. We'll reevaluate the decor when we move from here, which has been the plan all along (until my moment of insanity). Thanks for re motivating me! Still can't wait to move and start "real life" but you all saved me from a costly mistake in the meantime! :)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
glad to hear it! sounds like a perfect plan :) I can definitely relate to that feeling of "can't wait to start real life."

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
Rocksinmyhead, it's such a frustrating thing! I know I should embrace the now with a better attitude, but I've always been this way. Can't wait to graduate college, can't wait to be married, can't wait to have our first apartment "just right". Can't wait to have a baby, can't wait to be debt free, can't wait to buy a home.

On the positive side, it makes me REALLY good at powering through and achieving my goals, even if my satisfaction for achieving the goal only lasts for like 12 seconds.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Don't skimp on sleep.

also: Wal Mart sells memory foam mattresses for fairly cheap. I think my wife and I got a king size memory foam mattress for 600 or something of that nature. Its 4 years old so far and just as good as that tempurpedic thing as far as i can tell.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
can't wait to have our first apartment "just right".  can't wait to be debt free, can't wait to buy a home.
Aren't "just right" and "debt free" opposing concepts?

Just wanted to add that many infant deaths are caused by infants sharing the bed with the parents.

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
can't wait to have our first apartment "just right".  can't wait to be debt free, can't wait to buy a home.
Aren't "just right" and "debt free" opposing concepts?

Just wanted to add that many infant deaths are caused by infants sharing the bed with the parents.

A- only if your idea of "just right"men's living in a home & garden magazine. For the record, we are currently debt free and plan to stay that way (although we plan to get a mortgage someday). I don't think this means we can't strive to live in an aesthetically pleasing environment or even spend a bit here or there to make that a reality.

B- an excellent point. I actually did an entire community outreach program on this very issue in nursing school. Our daughter didn't bed share at all until probably 10 months or so, and then more after 12 months. I'm sure other parents can relate to making poor decisions when it's 5am and you've only had 1.5 hours of sleep so far. But no, we didn't bed share with our infant. And we don't plan to with baby number two. The crib is about 3 feet from the bed so it's not too much hassle to dump baby in there. However! I hope that some lazy Saturday morning in the future will find us all flopped over each other in the same bed :)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »

Oh boy, don't get my wife started on this.   She's a child psychologist and some of her research (mostly her business partner's) involves co-sleeping.    When you really peel back the data most SIDS cases are caused by a few factors.   

1. Sleeping somewhere other than a bed.   Don't fall asleep on the couch with your baby.    This is a big one because parents will take their children to the couch or a chair to try to get them to fall asleep, and they end up putting themselves to sleep instead.    The beds a better option.

2.  Having a male other than a father in the bed.   Not sure why, but there seems to be a larger occurrence of SIDS cases with men other than the child's father in the bed.    The thinking is that there's an evolutionary function at play.

3. If a parent is a smoker.   Smokers have a higher body temperature which increases SIDS occurrences.

4. If the parent is a drug addict or alcoholic.   If you go to bed loaded, you risk rolling over onto the baby or not waking up when they need help.

Both of our children slept in our bed (and continue to at 3 and 5).   It's incredibly easier to deal with a crying infant when they're right next to you and you don't have to get out of bed.    I could never go back to sleep if I had to get up for the short time that my son slept in a crib.

Don't take my word though, do the research.

greatreader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
As far as the bedroom set is concerned, go check out anawhite.com. She has posted all kinds of free plans for building your own furniture, and most of the plans include a section on how much the materials cost. You can have gorgeous furniture AND be a badass!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Congratulations! I'm 13 weeks too :)

I'm all for co-sleeping if it works for your family, but I just want to give you a heads-up that a Tempurpedic may not be firm enough for your little one. We have a Tempurpedic that has a pillowtop and it is ah-mazing! We love it. Buuuut ... when we wake up in the morning, it's really soft (it gets softer as your body temperature heats it up). For that reason, we feel like it's not firm enough for an infant. So, if you choose to co-sleep with your newborn, you may want to look into something that will provide a firm surface for her while she's in the bed.

For our second baby, we've decided to get an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper so he's right next to me, but not in our soft bed.