Author Topic: I want a new macbook badly  (Read 27570 times)

trashmanz

• Bristles
Re: I want a new macbook badly
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
One way to look at it is whether it is a tool or a toy.  If you use it to play games and surf the internet then just know that should be considered an extravagant luxury expense and go from there.  If you earn money on your time on the computer and downtime and frustration is to be minimized, a small premium is worth it.  Whether this premium gets you an actual premium may be debated, but for me, using both PC and Mac and Chromebooks daily, if I could only use one machine the Mac wins hands down.  It just works well and causes me the least amount of annoyance for my work.   YMMV. 

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »
A $300 discount right now at Best Buy... $999. Or I could go for the open box at $909.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »
I'm not going to try to convince you to get a different laptop, but I'm just wondering, what is the fascination with macs? I know so many people that always choose mac or really want one despite the outrageous price. I just don't understand the appeal.

I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person. They generally feel aesthetically better, they crash less often, they are more user-friendly... I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

Excoriate me if you want, PC users. But give me a Mac over a PC any day.

Why are you using an Asus? That might contribute to your blind rage

Nothing against Macs, we have lots of people at work that use them and I've had to work on them. I would consider a macbook if that was my sole workstation but I like my gaming PC. I am considering getting a Chromebook for some light use

Best Buy open box is a good idea, just check the battery cycles
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:39:38 PM by FrugalKube »

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2016, 10:20:39 PM »
I'm not going to try to convince you to get a different laptop, but I'm just wondering, what is the fascination with macs? I know so many people that always choose mac or really want one despite the outrageous price. I just don't understand the appeal.

I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person. They generally feel aesthetically better, they crash less often, they are more user-friendly... I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

Nothing against Macs, we have lots of people at work that use them and I've had to work on them. I would consider a macbook if that was my sole workstation but I like my gaming PC. I am considering getting a Chromebook for some light use

How to check battery cycle? I could also get a further discount by using a mover's discount from the post office. I think it's an additional 10% off

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 10:23:10 PM »

How to check battery cycle? I could also get a further discount by using a mover's discount from the post office. I think it's an additional 10% off

Apple menu -> About this mac -> System report -> Power

Cycle count is listed there.

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »

Apple menu -> About this mac -> System report -> Power

Cycle count is listed there.

Thanks. So whats considered good cycle count? Sorry ive never had an apple.

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »
Was on sale for that price at b&h and no tax unless living in ny. I don't think I'd go used just to save $90. Would be good if you can get the movers discount though.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »

I believe Apple considers the useful life of a battery as 1000 cycles though they commonly last much longer.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »

I believe Apple considers the useful life of a battery as 1000 cycles though they commonly last much longer.

Based on my admittedly lazy research, 1000 cycles should still have your battery at about 80% capacity when fully charged. So if you were getting 10 hours with a brand new macbook, you should be at around 8 after 1000 cycles. This is my first mac though, so I couldn't say whether this information is accurate. Seems a bit optimistic, imo, but we'll see!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »

I'm cureently using an Asus at home because my husband bought it.

But again, as i have pointed out to others, I have been using both Mac and PC (and yes, I know PC is technically imprecise) for over thirty years. The Asus is particularly  irritating, but the two laptops we had before it were similarly frustrating.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

This. I've been using PCs since the days of DOS and I have wanted to murder every single one of them at some point. I know what you mean and I can't believe that other people seem to find that strange. Are they too young to remember wasting countless hours diagnosing and trying to correct blue screens of death, myriad driver or device conflicts, etc?

I have never wanted to unload on my Mac - Office Space style with a baseball bat in an open field - the way I have my PCs.

That said, PCs (or should I say the Windows OS?) are much better now than they were. I've only wanted to slap my work PC (Windows 10) a few times. I agree with others that you should test drive a number of options before you buy. The gulf isn't as wide as it used to be.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »
I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

This. I've been using PCs since the days of DOS and I have wanted to murder every single one of them at some point. I know what you mean and I can't believe that other people seem to find that strange. Are they too young to remember wasting countless hours diagnosing and trying to correct blue screens of death, myriad driver or device conflicts, etc?

I have never wanted to unload on my Mac - Office Space style with a baseball bat in an open field - the way I have my PCs.

That said, PCs (or should I say the Windows OS?) are much better now than they were. I've only wanted to slap my work PC (Windows 10) a few times. I agree with others that you should test drive a number of options before you buy. The gulf isn't as wide as it used to be.

Yep, this sums up my experience too.  I did have an old e-machines desktop with decent internals with windows 98 (when it was new) and loved it for the most part.  That thing could run games 10 years younger than it better than many newer PCs I've used.  Since then I've had an HP desktop and laptop, a toshiba laptop, acer and asus netbooks and they were mostly shit.  For now I'm happy to stick with a Mac.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »
If you are frustrated by Windows, try Linux. There is almost nothing that OS X can do that a desktop oriented Linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu cannot do. Battery life is much better with all the ultrabooks in the market today. Of course if you just want Apple because it makes you feel special, go for it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:07 PM »
I have posted this before, but I really love the Mid 2012 macbook Pro 15. Stock, they are quad core 2.3ghz, with 4gb RAM... Upgrade to 8/16... Put the largest SSD you want... If you want more storage, take out the optical drive, put a 2TB or they may have a larger drive now... Tons of space, more powerful than lots of new computers available today... Thunderbolt, USB 3, FW800, Ethernet.
If you can find it... I found a used 2.7ghz with the high res anti glare screen, this upgrade has a much better GPU... I think it came with all the upgraded CPUs...

You can replace your own battery, it is easy. Hard drive, SSD, even the trackpad is easy to replace...

YMMV... But I am picky about my conputers, and I am still happy with this, even after 2 years, and it was used about 2 years before I bought it.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »
Forgot to add, I used Windows quite often, dual boot... It runs Windows 7 flawlessly.

If you are looking to play games... I can't tell you much, I try to stay away from video games... But when I played Diablo 3 (there is a 1000+ hrs gone) it was fine, on high settings, 40-50 fps. Lower settings, maybe mid? Above 60 IIRC.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »
If you are frustrated by Windows, try Linux. There is almost nothing that OS X can do that a desktop oriented Linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu cannot do. Battery life is much better with all the ultrabooks in the market today. Of course if you just want Apple because it makes you feel special, go for it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you telling me that a Linux machine is as easy to use and has the same software options as a Mac? Because I'm a little skeptical. After some quick Googling, I'm not ever sure how to obtain Linux, let alone set it up and get it to do all the things I want a computer to do.

To use an automotive analogy, Linux machines seem like project cars, theoretically capable of great things but requiring someone with the inclination and interest for spending all day under the hood just for the sheer pleasure of it. But, a lot of us aren't car people; we just want a Honda Accord/Mac that does what I tell it to with minimal maintenance so we can get on with our day and do the things we want to do.

Is my analogy off base? I'm genuinely interested as I have little knowledge of Linux.

Update: I made my way to the Ubuntu website and it looks...pretty good. I see there is a lot of the applications that I might want. Still interested in hearing how user friendly it all is, does it crash, how well it works with printers and devices, etc. Could a luddite manage with Linux?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:06:07 PM by Tetsuya Hondo »

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Are you telling me that a Linux machine is as easy to use and has the same software options as a Mac? Because I'm a little skeptical. After some quick Googling, I'm not ever sure how to obtain Linux, let alone set it up and get it to do all the things I want a computer to do.

To use an automotive analogy, Linux machines seem like project cars, theoretically capable of great things but requiring someone with the inclination and interest for spending all day under the hood just for the sheer pleasure of it. But, a lot of us aren't car people; we just want a Honda Accord/Mac that does what I tell it to with minimal maintenance so we can get on with our day and do the things we want to do.

Is my analogy off base? I'm genuinely interested as I have little knowledge of Linux.

Update: I made my way to the Ubuntu website and it looks...pretty good. I see there is a lot of the applications that I might want. Still interested in hearing how user friendly it all is, does it crash, how well it works with printers and devices, etc. Could a luddite manage with Linux?

I've used Linux since the 90's. I'd say Desktop Linux has come a long way. In some ways it is easier to use than Windows. Most hardware will work out of the box - no hunting for driver cds. Distros come bundled with an office suite, a decent web browser. Videos play out of the box. Installing new software is a matter of launching the inbuilt "app store" and searching. This is a paradigm that most users will be comfortable with in this age.

Installation is easy - typically download an ISO file from the distro website. I'd recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu. Get pen drive linux from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and create a bootable USB. Reboot your computer and follow the prompts. Oh and backup your data before you do anything.

There are plenty of Linux users on these forums - if you run into issues we can help.

Neva6

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »
I have a early 2015 mac book pro. Best $1300 I ever spent on a computer. I do some light programming and basic computing but it just blows away every windows machine I've used as far as stability and speed. Even my $2500 windows workstation (for work) just can't compete.

Don't try linux unless you are an experienced power user.

If you just want it to work get a mac and pay apple the experience premium. :D (ughh my former windows and android using self just slapped me).

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2016, 12:13:01 AM »

I've used Linux since the 90's. I'd say Desktop Linux has come a long way. In some ways it is easier to use than Windows. Most hardware will work out of the box - no hunting for driver cds. Distros come bundled with an office suite, a decent web browser. Videos play out of the box. Installing new software is a matter of launching the inbuilt "app store" and searching. This is a paradigm that most users will be comfortable with in this age.

Installation is easy - typically download an ISO file from the distro website. I'd recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu. Get pen drive linux from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and create a bootable USB. Reboot your computer and follow the prompts. Oh and backup your data before you do anything.

There are plenty of Linux users on these forums - if you run into issues we can help.

I second everything that madmax said. In particular: Just try it and ask us for help if you want.
Some important additions:

• Linux is not Windows. Many users come to Linux because they are (rightly) pissed off with Windows. And then they get pissed at Linux because some things are very different. Keep an open mind and be aware that you will have to go through a learning period that might be painful at the start. For now, you will have to take our word for it that it will be well worth it.
  • Linux is the Mustachian option. You can get it for free. You get to see under the hood and if something breaks and if you know what you are doing, you can fix it. If you don't know what you are doing, you might screw it up even more, of course. But there are insane amounts of resources out there (for free) to educate yourself.
    Not so with Windows. Everytime I have to do something in some client's Windows machine, I go crazy because Windows tries to hide everything from me. I have seen IT departments of major companies where it is standard procedure to just reinstall Windows when something is too seriously wrong with it. Incredible.
  • Can a luddite manage with Linux? I would say so, but there are two levels here. A real luddite might not be able to properly set up a Linux machine. But a real luddite would also never be able to properly set up a Windows machine (although Windows will do everything in its power to convince you that everything is fine, until it breaks badly). The best thing I ever did was to install Linux on the PC of my parents-in-law (the original computer luddites). I set everything up for them and for the last two years it has been happily running without an issue.

[Emphasis mine]. Yes, you should. PCs are great. Windows (any version) is a piece of crap that needs to be killed with fire. I will never ever go back from Linux to Windows again.
Oh, and with Linux. No need to buy anything. Set up a dual boot, download an installation DVD, install, try it out while you still have your Windows OS available in case you need it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:40:39 AM by WerKater »

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
@WerKater and madmax,

I'm intrigued. I might start a new thread to pepper you with questions about Linux. Our home Mac will need replacement at some point and I'm toying with the idea of going this route.

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
Just get a 2009-2011 13" macbook pro for around $500, solid and responsive if you put in more ram and an SSD.  That should satisfy the urge and get you 90% of what the new macs do.

Ditto.  Our 2011 15" MPB with 8 GB RAM + SSD is quiet, fast and an all out pleasure to use. 

2buttons

• Bristles

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »

If you are frustrated by Windows, wait until you try Linux! Lol. Now that's real frustration for you. Sorry, linux is great and all, it's free and politically/ philosophically pure and wholesome, but it is not at all user friendly or simple! To preface, I have Mint on my old laptop, an ubuntu partition on my desktop, an ubuntu headless server at home and use a CentOS cluster at work, so I have some idea about this. I'm sure the Mint or ubuntu install is much easier and nicer than before, but you can not compare it to the user-friendliness of windows 10 or MacOS "whatever cat it is now".

Your linux install might work fine out of the box (or if your PC has random hardware #329 it might not), but at some your going to run into something that doesn't work right and you're spending 4 hours in config files and on stack exchange and ubuntuforums.com to figure it out.

Battery life will take a dive on a laptop as power management in linux is not great, and I have never gotten sleep/hibernate to work under ubuntu or Mint. If you're luck it just won't go to sleep, unlucky it will crash and reboot instead. Dual monitors did not work for crap. Flash on linux is a crapshoot, and plenty of sites still use it. Java is the same, not supported on linux and require a dodgy 3rd party workaround installed from command line. Good luck telling your bank they should stop using java because you're special.. Setting up NFS share to a Sama server is about 18 times more complicated than the 3 boxes in windows. No adobe programs will work. You're a hobby photographer say goodbye to Lightroom, the best photo app there is. The linux alternatives are not even close, believe me. I'll update if I think of more annoying things..

Linux fanatics are the original hipsters where they have to hate windows because it's popular. Some went to Mac (now too popular?) and some to linux. There is annoying cultural warriors on all sides. If you know what you're doing all 3 OS's are fine and you can make it work, if you don't bother to learn you'll mess your PC up. There are things I like and dislike about all.

In short; if you think Windows is frustrating:
a) you're probably abusing your computer and doing dumb stuff (i.e. RTFM)
b) you'll mess up a Mac PC equally well and be frustrated by it too eventually (just ask my wife and her messed up mac next to my WinPC working fine)
c) linux = pain

edit: lol, dude. "no hunting for driver CDs" wtf? When was the last time windows required driver cds? pre-XP?  That's disingenuous. At least have accurate criticism.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:45:42 AM by Scandium »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Nothing beats the simplicity of my Mac. I used Windows for 15 years before the switch now I won't look back. Still use Windows 7 at work but prefer my Macbook Pro at home.

I NEVER had to install an update or do anything with my Mac and it practically runs the day I bought it 6 years ago.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
but you can not compare it to the user-friendliness of windows 10 or MacOS "whatever cat it is now".
They stopped doing cats a few years ago. Now it's National Parks / places in National Parks. Last ones have been Yosemite and El Capitan (the latter being a mountain in Yosemite).
edit: lol, dude. "no hunting for driver CDs" wtf? When was the last time windows required driver cds? pre-XP?  That's disingenuous. At least have accurate criticism.
If you install Windows fresh, rather than just pull the machine preinstalled out of a box, you need driver CDs. I remember having to, on XP (working in a computer shop, doing the "format, reinstall" dance for someone's malware-infected machine), sneakernet via thumb drive the ethernet drivers because even wired internet was beyond XP's comprehension. At least Vista+ have many more generic drivers in them by default.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
If you install Windows fresh, rather than just pull the machine preinstalled out of a box, you need driver CDs. I remember having to, on XP (working in a computer shop, doing the "format, reinstall" dance for someone's malware-infected machine), sneakernet via thumb drive the ethernet drivers because even wired internet was beyond XP's comprehension. At least Vista+ have many more generic drivers in them by default.
[/quote]

Ok, so up to XP then. Practically every necessary driver is built in since Win 7, or is pulled down from the net during install. Been a while since I did a clean install, but not once did I have to use driver CDs even for my esoteric sound card old CF card reader or anything else. My point was that this is not a thing, or if anything more trouble with linux which is more likely to not support certain hardware. Those fancy laptops that fold all the way back and flip the screen? Yeah might not work on linux because the drivers aren't supported. Wacom tablets? who knows

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »
I use four Windows 10 machines and the experience varies a little.

There was one crazy issue on the one laptop but to be fair, it had super-early-technical-users-preview Windows 10 on it. But my most recent experience was... it still had some lingering issues from once having the wacky version on it. I was able to do a "format install" from inside the Windows 10 interface. Started it, went to bed, and woke up to a fully installed, fresh, clean Windows 10 with all drivers installed. No discs or USB drives needed. Not even for Windows.

The other two home machines have been rock solid, and both were upgrades from Windows 8. No clean installs.

My work machine does have an issue - if you let it go to sleep in any manner, when you try to resume, it just hangs forever, and it needs to be powered down manually. I blame the IT department ;) (There are only a couple Windows 10 machines here... most are Windows 7, and there are a lot of Macs here at work. The Mac guys are happy with their machines.)

So there are some anecdotes. I'm a "Windows guy" but I have sat through some very frustrating learning experiences. And I'm glad I did. I learned from it, I earned the nice solid running systems on the other side. I won't hesitate to tear apart my machine and upgrade hardware. I've provided machines for damn close to $0 to my parents, sister and grandmother because people come to me for upgrades and new computers, and they give me their old hardware! So I spit shine it, maybe toss in a $40 SSD, and it's ready to go for them.

As is the case with most "buy this, not that" threads, it comes down to the experiences you value, how you spend your money and time based on your own personal set of values. I don't think Apple products are frugal and I think they intentionally don't play well with others so that they a) play really well with other Apple devices and b) you find it tempting to go "all in."

But going through the pain of Windows or the learning process of Linux isn't for everyone, of course. If you're smart about your money and avoid most splurges, maybe you can get yourself an Apple product as a luxury, and that's OK. But you should be comfortably on your journal towards independence before you start making such luxury purchases.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2016, 09:08:21 AM »
Wacom tablets? who knows
It probably depends on the model, but the cheap ones (Bamboo line) worked on Ubuntu when I was using it 6 years ago. I've never spent enough on one to be able to tell you about the snazzy ones.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »

And this is one of the plans I have with this Chromebook dual boot and get more exposure to Linux. I've heard good things about Mint and PuppyLinux

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 12:11:16 AM »

And this is one of the plans I have with this Chromebook dual boot and get more exposure to Linux. I've heard good things about Mint and PuppyLinux
From what I have heard, Mint is really good for a beginner. And it's a Debian derivate. So if you decide after a few years that you want something a bit more hardcore you can graduate to Debian (which I personally love).

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »

Crash less often?   Did I step into a Time Machine and get sent back to 1995?

I've been using personal computers since long before there was a "Mac" or a "PC" (starting as a teenager in 1978 on a Commodore PET).

20 years ago, Windows systems used to crash quite a lot. 

But that was a long, long time ago. 

I'm typing this on a 4+ year old Dell notebook running Windows 7.  I keep it on 24-7, 365.  I use it for work (I mostly work from home), surfing, games, and watching videos.  I use it for hours and hours every day, for every conceivable application. 

I can't remember the last time it "crashed."  And no, that's not because I'm old and senile. :)

If you are paying an extra $400 to buy a Mac because you like the OS better, or think it will make you "cool" and help you score chicks, go for it, but if you are spending all that money to avoid a (maybe once a year?) "crash," I'd suggest that you aren't spending your money wisely. 

Remember, every extra dollar you spend buying an expensive Apple product, when there are much cheaper alternatives that will do the job as well, is MANY extra dollars you won't have in retirement.  Do you really need "retina display" or do you just want it because Apple has done a masterful job of marketing it?

My philosophy on buying computers:  Buy the cheapest computer you can that will fit your needs.  Unless you are running ridiculously power consuming software, or a hard core gamer, you probably don't need a $1,200+ notebook computer.

I typically buy mid-range systems for both Notebooks and desktops (usually in the $800 range).  If all you are doing is web surfing, productivity (Office, etc) software, watching videos, and non-hardcore gaming, you can buy a wide variety of perfectly capable PC notebooks for about $800 for a 15".  If you go with an Apple product, a 15" notebook will set you back $2,000.

Buy the $800 computer and invest the difference in a good no-load mutual fund. 

You just need to figure out what is more important- do you need the status item (Macbook or iWhatever, Mercedes, Armani, etc) or would you rather be rich and have lower "status" equivalents (PC, Chevy, JC Penny, etc)?

The Millionaire Next Door probably ain't driving a Beemer.  He ain't wearing Armani, and he probably ain't doing his taxes on a $1,500 Macbook either.

On the other hand, if you have earnings like LeBron James or Kim Kardashian, go ahead and buy the Macbook, you can afford it.  But for most of us, we can't afford to buy status items and actually become rich.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »
My philosophy on buying computers:  Buy the cheapest computer you can that will fit your needs.  Unless you are running ridiculously power consuming software, or a hard core gamer, you probably don't need a $1,200+ notebook computer.

I typically buy mid-range systems for both Notebooks and desktops (usually in the $800 range).  If all you are doing is web surfing, productivity (Office, etc) software, watching videos, and non-hardcore gaming, you can buy a wide variety of perfectly capable PC notebooks for about $800 for a 15".  If you go with an Apple product, a 15" notebook will set you back $2,000.

It's amusing you write all that and then end up recommending spending $800 still on a computer. OP could spend a nominal amount more and get their retina Macbook Pro, especially if they go refurbished.

That being said, my previous Mac (which I used for 5+ years continuously until I sold it) cost me about $800 total for the time I used it, after selling it on Craigslist. I suspect my current machine will end up being a similar total cost whenever I eventually resell it.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »
Much like pretty much any other electronic device (phone, printer, GPS, etc), it comes down to preference. For the last decade, I've been fully Linux--usually some version of Ubuntu. I used to run Windows, then had a number of Macs, got tired of them breaking as quickly (1-3 years) as my PC laptops while costing much more (yes, even refurbished...), so I switched to Linux to have the same virus-free experience while also not supporting giant greedy corporations (Apple or MS) and closed platforms.

My last laptop, a Samsung, cost around $420 after upgrading to 8 GB for an additional ~$65, and lasted ~3.5y as my main computer (so $120/yr). It still works and delivers ~1.5-2h battery life, but the audio jack broke (an issue that's affected many of my laptops), the Ctrl key is dead, and I had Linux compatibility issues whenever I upgraded to newer Ubuntus. For my most recent laptop, I decided to stop fooling around with consumer-aimed Acers and Samsungs and get a used Thinkpad this January. It's a T530, so it's already up to 4 years old (they were released in mid-2012). However, I fully expect to get 10 years out of it.

Upgraded RAM to 16 GB for an additional $63, and the laptop itself cost ~$320 with a 15" 1600x900 screen, i5, etc. With its half-dead battery I still get a solid 4.5h of battery life with web surfing, and when it drops too much, I'll get a new battery and know I can get probably net 7.5h from it. The laptop itself is built like a tank. I imagine if I'd been buying Thinkpads all this time instead of cheap Acers, Gateways, and Samsungs, I'd have gone through 1-2 laptops in the last decade, instead of...many more. I'm definitely only buying Thinkpads from now on. 

My wife has a 5-year old Dell that she recently upgraded to Windows 10 and that I upgraded to 8 GB. It still works fine, software-wise, but has a cracked bezel and next to zero battery life. She bought it for ~1000 I think, so $200/yr, which is still better than what a lot of folks will get with used Macs. I've suggested buying a new battery and switching to Linux, because W10 annoys her, but she's attached to Excel and doesn't want to invest more in the laptop. The DVD drive also stopped working a while ago. I think I've talked her into picking up a used Thinkpad when she's ready to switch, but for now, she's hanging on to it to avoid replacing functional gear, which is awesome.

Oh, and besides the build quality, the other reason I bought one is because they're known for rock solid Linux compatibility. It takes me ~2 sec to resume from sleep and about 1 sec to go to sleep, and everything works super smoothly. So from a guy who has spent extensive time on all 3 OSes (Windows, OS X, and Linux), I concur with those who say you can do good work with any; I just primarily wanted the additional security of the non-Windows OSes combined with the ability to support open and free software, which led me to Linux.

Hardware-wise, though, if you're going to run Linux and don't want to spend a lot of time researching / assembling compatible hardware (which is especially crucial in a laptop, since you can't tweak nearly as much as you can with a desktop), just get a Thinkpad. To save money, just get a used Thinkpad. A $200 or $300 machine will easily last you another 5-10 years, and the X-lines and newer T-lines are designed to give ridiculous (10h+) battery life, just as with the newest Macs.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »
The Mac v. PC v. Linux debate is interesting, and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this post, but I wanted to focus more on OP wanting to make an expensive purchase and why that's not a bad thing--so long as you do your research and make smart purchases that will prove to be worth it in the long term.

I think the early retirement community is way too obsessed with up front cost and, more importantly, anti-consumerism. People on here get so obsessed with the most minute details ("A millionaire is made $10 at a time!!!") that they fail to see the forest from the trees. Early retirement isn't worth it if you deprived yourself from all of your wants--and even purchased sub-quality necessary items--by buying used shit on Craigslist for twenty years.

After lurking on these forums and taking the "go the cheap route" advice on this forum multiple times, I finally had enough of the cheap bullshit and just started with the following mentality: if it costs over $200 anyway, I'm going to buy something that will last a lifetime (or for a very long time). This way I make purchases less frequently and more than likely come out ahead.

Take my elliptical for example. My GF and I recently purchased a Precor EFX 222 elliptical for $2,600 (or three years worth of our gym memberships). We could have renewed our gym memberships, we could have bought a Nordictrack (which are $600 but have an 84% repair rate in the first 120 days of ownership), we could have done a lot of other things. But instead we went with the best and most reliable brand. Our friend who owns a local gym came over the other night and she said that we picked one of the best machines out there and that it would last "probably 15-20 years, maybe longer." (That's $6,000 to $8,000 just in her gym memberships alone in case you're keeping score).

I'm absolutely certain I'm going to get the usual criticisms about this purchase: "it's going to turn into a coat rack;" "you're setting up false costs to justify the purchase;" "you should just run outside and do jumping jacks;" blah blah blah. Well, not that I feel obligated to justify my purchase, but my GF has gone to the gym 5x a week for almost a decade now ($34/month...that fixed cost is now gone...forever); she also needs a low impact workout due to significant hip issues (her dad needed both hips replaced in his low 60s, and she is on pace for that); I needed something at home because of my varying work schedule; we wanted something at home because we are planning on having kids soon and wanted to be able to workout while kids were taking a nap (but not leave them entirely); etc.

Fact is that we weighed our own personal financial situation, researched our purchase for almost four months, and ultimately made a sound decision based on our own personal wants and needs.

Moving along to other examples...I also just paid $500 for a push lawnmower (essentially the same model my dad bought back in...1992...and it still works), $480 for a new TV, and plan on spending $400 on new dress shirts this summer.

You're probably thinking by now...this guy doesn't sound very "mustachian." Well, I'm definitely not as thrifty as some on this board, but my GF and I have most of our financial house in order. We have very low fixed costs (live in a small 1100 square foot home that we are going to keep for life, have only one car payment, keep utilities low, etc.), will contribute a combined $30,000 to our 401ks this year (while planning for a wedding), and have over $15,000 in cash reserves. We are on pace to be 100% financially independent by age 46 (we are both 28 years old).

Of course, if we didn't make these big purchases, we could be financially independent by...42? 43? I'll take this time to point out how nice MMM's home is. He admits quite frequently how much he loves the comfort that a nice home provides each and every day. I feel the same way about not only my house, but the things I use each and every day (TV, dress shirts, elliptical, etc.).

I only go through all of this to make the following point: don't be a slave to numbers on the screen and don't feel forced to justify every purchase you make. If you have low fixed costs, a high savings rate, and have most of your financial house in order, then fuck it, buy yourself an awesome Mac and enjoy it for the next DECADE. It's worth it.

Edit to add to OP: just saw in another one of your posts that your savings rate is close to 50%. Drink a beer and relax. Cut your 401k contributions for a month and go buy a Mac.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:12:03 AM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »

Crash less often?   Did I step into a Time Machine and get sent back to 1995?

I've been using personal computers since long before there was a "Mac" or a "PC" (starting as a teenager in 1978 on a Commodore PET).

20 years ago, Windows systems used to crash quite a lot. 

But that was a long, long time ago. 

I'm typing this on a 4+ year old Dell notebook running Windows 7.  I keep it on 24-7, 365.  I use it for work (I mostly work from home), surfing, games, and watching videos.  I use it for hours and hours every day, for every conceivable application. 

I can't remember the last time it "crashed."  And no, that's not because I'm old and senile. :)

If you are paying an extra $400 to buy a Mac because you like the OS better, or think it will make you "cool" and help you score chicks, go for it, but if you are spending all that money to avoid a (maybe once a year?) "crash," I'd suggest that you aren't spending your money wisely. 

Remember, every extra dollar you spend buying an expensive Apple product, when there are much cheaper alternatives that will do the job as well, is MANY extra dollars you won't have in retirement.  Do you really need "retina display" or do you just want it because Apple has done a masterful job of marketing it?

Buy the $800 computer and invest the difference in a good no-load mutual fund. 

You just need to figure out what is more important- do you need the status item (Macbook or iWhatever, Mercedes, Armani, etc) or would you rather be rich and have lower "status" equivalents (PC, Chevy, JC Penny, etc)?

The Millionaire Next Door probably ain't driving a Beemer.  He ain't wearing Armani, and he probably ain't doing his taxes on a $1,500 Macbook either.

On the other hand, if you have earnings like LeBron James or Kim Kardashian, go ahead and buy the Macbook, you can afford it.  But for most of us, we can't afford to buy status items and actually become rich.

Awesome for you. But:

1) No, I am not using it to be "cool". As I said above, which you are selectively ignoring, I have been using Macs since the mid-80s.

2) Every single PC I have used has had many more problems with crashing than any Mac I have ever used.  The last two laptops we have had were barely functional after two years. And that is with my husband who is a software developer who rebuilds them periodically because they are so fucked up.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2016, 10:16:05 AM »
The Mac v. PC v. Linux debate is interesting, and I'm going to get a lot of flack for this post, but I wanted to focus more on OP wanting to make an expensive purchase and why that's not a bad thing--so long as you do your research and make smart purchases that will prove to be worth it in the long term.

I think the early retirement community is way too obsessed with up front cost and, more importantly, anti-consumerism. People on here get so obsessed with the most minute details ("A millionaire is made $10 at a time!!!") that they fail to see the forest from the trees. Early retirement isn't worth it if you deprived yourself from all of your wants and by buying used shit on Craigslist for twenty years.

After lurking on these forums and taking the "go the cheap route" advice on this forum multiple times, I finally had enough of the cheap bullshit and just started with the following mentality: if it costs over $200 anyway, I'm going to buy something that will last a lifetime (or for a very long time). This way I make purchases less frequently and more than likely come out ahead.

Take my elliptical for example. My GF and I recently purchased a Precor EFX 222 elliptical for $2,600 (or three years worth of our gym memberships). We could have renewed our gym memberships, we could have bought a Nordictrack (which are $600 but have an 84% repair rate in the first 120 days of ownership), we could have done a lot of other things. But instead we went with the best and most reliable brand. Our friend who owns a local gym came over the other night and she said that we picked one of the best machines out there and that it would last "probably 15-20 years, maybe longer." (That's $6,000 to $8,000 just in her gym memberships alone in case you're keeping score).

I'm absolutely certain I'm going to get the usual criticisms about this purchase: "it's going to turn into a coat rack;" "you're setting up false costs to justify the purchase;" "you should just run outside and do jumping jacks;" blah blah blah. Well, not that I feel obligated to justify my purchase, but my GF has gone to the gym 5x a week for almost a decade now ($34/month...that fixed cost is now gone...forever); she also needs a low impact workout due to significant hip issues (her dad needed both hips replaced in his low 50s, and she is on pace for that); I needed something at home because of my varying work schedule; we wanted something at home because we are planning on having kids soon and wanted to be able to workout while kids were taking a nap (but not leave them entirely); etc.

Fact is that we weighed our own personal financial situation, researched our purchase for almost four months, and ultimately made a sound decision based on our own personal wants and needs.

Moving along to other examples...I also just paid $500 for a push lawnmower (essentially the same model my dad bought back in...1992...and it still works), $480 for a new TV, and plan on spending $400 on new dress shirts this summer.

You're probably thinking by now...this guy doesn't sound very "mustachian." Well, I'm definitely not as thrifty as some on this board, but my GF and I have most of our financial house in order. We have very low fixed costs (live in a small 1100 square foot home that we are going to keep for life, have only one car payment, keep utilities low, etc.), will contribute a combined $30,000 to our 401ks this year (while planning for a wedding), and have over $15,000 in cash reserves. We are on pace to be 100% financially independent by age 46 (we are both 28 years old).

Of course, if we didn't make these big purchases, we could be financially independent by...42? 43? I'll take this time to point out how nice MMM's home is. He admits quite frequently how much he loves the comfort that a nice home provides each and every day. I feel the same way about not only my house, but the things I use each and every day (TV, dress shirts, elliptical, etc.).

I only go through all of this to make the following point: don't be a slave to numbers on the screen and don't feel forced to justify every purchase you make. If you have low fixed costs, a high savings rate, and have most of your financial house in order, then fuck it, buy yourself an awesome Mac and enjoy it for the next DECADE. It's worth it.

Edit to add to OP: just saw in another one of your posts that your savings rate is close to 50%. Drink a beer and relax. Cut your 401k contributions for a month and go buy a Mac.

OP has had a 50% savings rate for I believe a few months.  I'm fairly sure his net worth is <$15k. He's also all over the place on questions, talked about buying his dad a house (even though his dad has a job), talked about spending $900 on a home gym, and just made a post about how bummed he is FIRE isn't coming to him sooner.  He's trying to learn and I commend him, he's made a lot of positive steps.

With that being said, busting out the beer and celebrating with a $1200 computer seems a bit premature for me.  I hear you about spending on things that are really important to you and are worth it, but the reason there's so much resistance is because you can justify spending extra money on EVERYTHING.  "I drive a lot, so my $30,000 car is worth it."  "I have a really stressful job, so this house is only $400 more a month, I have the money"  "I'm really stressed at work, so packing lunches is the last thing I want to do in the evenings, I'll just go to restaurants."  People do this every day.

It's not that you should NEVER buy expensive or long lasting things, but you should seriously consider not buying the top end of everything you get, especially when it's something that is not a lifetime purchase.  Would you rather we were in a forum where someone comes in saying they're saving 40% and really think Teslas are cool, and every response is "You're savings rate is great, sure go for it."  People don't come here for others to help them justify buying unnecessary things, they come here to hear reasons why not to buy it.  Hell in the OP he said "must resist." 

I get that your elliptical was a great buy for you, but every single elliptical I've ever seen in someone's home is unused.  Every single one.  In spite of your post here, if my friends came to me and asked my opinion about buying an elliptical, I would give them plenty of reasons not to buy one that costs $2500 (or one at all).  If they still want to do it that's fine, but I think it's important to have someone argue against those impulses once in awhile.  Likewise, the vast majority of people who use computers do not need a $1200 MacBook.  A $400 Windows PC will do the exact same stuff, although it may be a bit less smooth.  Is having a moderate increase to the efficiency with which you browse youtube and amazon (two things that most people should be doing less of anyway) worth $800?  I'm a bit skeptical.  If OP is a programmer or video editor and can do his job more effectively with a Mac, go nuts.  He isn't. 

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
Yes, my net worth currently is close to15k, but should be 40k by the end of the year. Yeah my dad has a job, but his finances arent manageable due to debt and low pay. I have more self control than yall think, the 50% will be achievable. This macbook is probably my only guilty pleasure.

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Do you want a laptop instead of a desktop? If so, why?

Do you want a powerful computer? If so, why? And how powerful? Coming from something 10 years old, even a $500 used, un-upgraded MBP would feel like blazing into the future on a rocket powered rainbow.

My recommendation echoes what others have said: Get the old MBP and upgrade it (SSD, RAM, and OS). The best model would probably be the last one that had a replace-able battery. It's probably the easiest and best cheap laptop option, IMO, even if you *dont* want Mac. If you aren't confident with a screwdriver and can't follow simple instructions, pay someone to upgrade it for you.

If you actually just want a powerful computer, not a laptop, and you want it to run OSX, then check out http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-march-2016.html

That's what I did for several years. It is the DIY version of mac, but it works pretty well for the typical user. I did run into the occasional hiccup, like the sound cutting out or network not connecting, but "Did you try turning it off and on again??" always fixed the issue. And the amount of computer you can get for $500 or $800 is staggering, especially if you build it yourself using parts from newegg (its literally like plugging lego bricks together).

To be honest, I did eventually switch to Windows 10 because eventually the auto-updates stopped working on my custom install of OSX, and it was more compatible with tools I use at work and I didn't like dual-booting.

If you just ignore the stupid "metro ui" and don't use it, then windows 8.1 and windows 10 are quite easy to use. I find it slightly easier and more responsive than Linux, albeit less customizable and with less nerd-cred. Also, there is no Photoshop or video games on Linux. That was the main deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:08:25 PM by forestj »

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
OP has had a 50% savings rate for I believe a few months.  I'm fairly sure his net worth is <$15k. He's also all over the place on questions, talked about buying his dad a house (even though his dad has a job), talked about spending $900 on a home gym, and just made a post about how bummed he is FIRE isn't coming to him sooner.  He's trying to learn and I commend him, he's made a lot of positive steps.

With that being said, busting out the beer and celebrating with a $1200 computer seems a bit premature for me.  I hear you about spending on things that are really important to you and are worth it, but the reason there's so much resistance is because you can justify spending extra money on EVERYTHING.  "I drive a lot, so my $30,000 car is worth it."  "I have a really stressful job, so this house is only $400 more a month, I have the money"  "I'm really stressed at work, so packing lunches is the last thing I want to do in the evenings, I'll just go to restaurants."  People do this every day.

It's not that you should NEVER buy expensive or long lasting things, but you should seriously consider not buying the top end of everything you get, especially when it's something that is not a lifetime purchase.  Would you rather we were in a forum where someone comes in saying they're saving 40% and really think Teslas are cool, and every response is "You're savings rate is great, sure go for it."  People don't come here for others to help them justify buying unnecessary things, they come here to hear reasons why not to buy it.  Hell in the OP he said "must resist." 

I get that your elliptical was a great buy for you, but every single elliptical I've ever seen in someone's home is unused.  Every single one.  In spite of your post here, if my friends came to me and asked my opinion about buying an elliptical, I would give them plenty of reasons not to buy one that costs $2500 (or one at all).  If they still want to do it that's fine, but I think it's important to have someone argue against those impulses once in awhile.  Likewise, the vast majority of people who use computers do not need a $1200 MacBook.  A $400 Windows PC will do the exact same stuff, although it may be a bit less smooth.  Is having a moderate increase to the efficiency with which you browse youtube and amazon (two things that most people should be doing less of anyway) worth $800?  I'm a bit skeptical.  If OP is a programmer or video editor and can do his job more effectively with a Mac, go nuts.  He isn't.

Good post. I think we agree on a lot of this. It all has to do with balance. OP needs to find that balance for him. FIRE should not be so focused on depravity, because if it is, you're bound to burn out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:36:46 PM by ReadySetMillionaire »