Author Topic: I want a new macbook badly  (Read 27572 times)

Emergo

• Stubble
I want a new macbook badly
« on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »
But i must resist..... agh!!!!

My current laptop is over 10 years old. I know people will trash the macbook and say there are other computers better and less expensive. But i love apple and im tired of windows. Ive never had a macbook btw. I just appreciate them more after having owned an iphone then a note 4... and now i want to go back to an iphone 7.

Must resist...

jmr5x

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I want a new macbook badly
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
folowing

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »
Just get a 2009-2011 13" macbook pro for around $500, solid and responsive if you put in more ram and an SSD.  That should satisfy the urge and get you 90% of what the new macs do. 

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »
Just get a 2009-2011 13" macbook pro for around $500, solid and responsive if you put in more ram and an SSD.  That should satisfy the urge and get you 90% of what the new macs do.

The 2015 MB 12" retina looks so nice.... albeit only 1 port. Maybe the refresh coming in the next few weeks will be much better... ugh!! Sorry...

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
I'm not going to try to convince you to get a different laptop, but I'm just wondering, what is the fascination with macs? I know so many people that always choose mac or really want one despite the outrageous price. I just don't understand the appeal.

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »

The 2015 MB 12" retina looks so nice.... albeit only 1 port. Maybe the refresh coming in the next few weeks will be much better... ugh!! Sorry...

Just bought one on ebay for $850 (after 10% ebay bucks.)

Expensive but my wife likes it. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
I'm not going to try to convince you to get a different laptop, but I'm just wondering, what is the fascination with macs? I know so many people that always choose mac or really want one despite the outrageous price. I just don't understand the appeal.

I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person. They generally feel aesthetically better, they crash less often, they are more user-friendly... I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

Excoriate me if you want, PC users. But give me a Mac over a PC any day.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »

Not excoriating you but I felt the same as you until Snow Leopard came out. Since then, OS X has been going downhill with a lot of extra fluff added (material design, iOS features). I use a Macbook for work and it reboots itself  frequently and also has problems connecting to WiFi. This is anecdotal evidence but a couple of other ex-mac people at work gave the reason for dumping OS X.

OP: Have you considered that the Macbook you're looking at only comes with 8GB of RAM? That is criminal in this day and age. Chrome running a few tabs and HD video will be enough to bring it down.

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »

What... is this safe? If i could find a deal like that
.. wow

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »

What... is this safe? If i could find a deal like that
.. wow

Why wouldn't it be safe?  Ebay and Paypal tend to be pro-Buyer and you can verify the warranty of the labtop if you obtain the serial number before hand.  Paypal offers 6 months buyer protection IIRC.   

I have bought many Apple products on eBay and I usually go after the following:

1) Items still under warranty.  If something breaks in a few months I can go to Apple and have them repair it.

2) Sellers with good ratings.  If a seller has thousands of reviews then they are probably just as legitimate as any big box retailer

3) Items with lots of pictures.

You do run the risk of obtaining an item that was opened and tampered with which could void the warranty but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I then re-sell the items on craigslist/ebay and since apple products have good resale value I don't lose that much. 

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »
There are always deals on Groupon or Ebay. I think my brother just got an iMac for like $300 off. Apple also has refurbished computers on their site for discounts (not sure of the link but you can just google).

10 years is a long time for a computer... no judgement on my end if you get a new one :)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »
OP: Have you considered that the Macbook you're looking at only comes with 8GB of RAM? That is criminal in this day and age. Chrome running a few tabs and HD video will be enough to bring it down.

My Macbook pro has 8gb and it's rare that I don't have 10, if not 20+ tabs open, which I don't bother to close if I decide to stream netflix, play a game, etc. Other than getting a bit hot (this pretty much only happens with certain games), I have had zero issues with this.

Always been a PC guy, but I've been surprised how much I love my Mac (it was gifted to me a year ago), and it is now the one that I primarily use for day to day tasks. Not sure it's worth the cost to buy another when this one breaks down (expecting at least 6-7+ years based on what I've read), but I never would have even considered it before, until I actually had the experience of owning one. The desktop rig is still there for heavy gaming, when I need it :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:04:09 PM by Lagom »

nanana13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
I don't understand the fascination with Macs either. o_O  I like the iPhones, but prefer PC's for my computing needs.

But since this is something that you really want , and if you are able to meet all of your other financial obligations, then why not? Maybe budget $X amount each month to a "Dream computer" fund.

I'm doing something similar for a new iPhone, since I have the 5 from 2013 and want to have money budgeted in case that it breaks or I lose it. I'm almost at my goal to get a 6S with 64gb BUT I'm still hesitant to go out and buy it. I'll try to squeeze the 5 as long as I can.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:06:36 PM by nanana13 »

nanana13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
There are always deals on Groupon or Ebay. I think my brother just got an iMac for like $300 off. Apple also has refurbished computers on their site for discounts (not sure of the link but you can just google).

10 years is a long time for a computer... no judgement on my end if you get a new one :)

I'm typing this from my Chromebook that I got on Groupon. :) $180 with free shipping.
There's lots of good deals there - all refurbished, of course.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 10:10:11 PM »
my kids have 2010 and 2011 macbooks that were only $250 on craigslist (if I recall).
Used, handmedown type computers that perform fine for their needs.

If your laptop is over 10 years old I bet it would feel like a step up for very little money.

Course, I don't know how big craigslist is in your area.   http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=macbook+white&sort=rel&hasPic=1

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
I hear ya OP...I'm still using a 10 year old desktop running VISTA.

I want some shiny and powerful. :)

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
get a 2011-12 13" macbook pro core i5 on ebay.  They seem to be selling around $500.  Then upgrade the ram and SSD for about $100 and you'll have a great machine that will last you at least 5 more years.

The thing about computers I've noticed is that after I bought my last new computer in 2011, I haven't really felt the urge to upgrade as computers don't seem to have gotten that much faster, though they have gotten much thinner and lighter (macs) and battery life has improved quite a bit as well.  But from a functionality point of view, they are pretty solid.   

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person. They generally feel aesthetically better, they crash less often, they are more user-friendly... I have never flown into a blind rage using my Mac in the same way I frequently do using the Asus we have at home.

Maybe it's not the PC, it's the OS. My Linux PC just about never makes me angry. On the other hand, 10 minutes on Windows 8.0 on my dual boot laptop, and I am fit to be tied.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 07:28:43 AM »

Maybe it's not the PC, it's the OS. My Linux PC just about never makes me angry. On the other hand, 10 minutes on Windows 8.0 on my dual boot laptop, and I am fit to be tied.

Well, as I said in that post, I have been using both Mac and PC for thirty years, at home and at work. So no, it isn't (just) the OS. Though Windows 8.0 is a pile of steaming dogshit, yes. Thankfully, we haven't switched to Windows 10 yet, and don't plan to.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 07:52:51 AM »
Also looking for a new laptop to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro, but it cost so damn much when I bought it ($1500 CAD), that I need to get 6 years out of it to make it worth it. It worked great for about 3.5 years...

The way I see: I'll probably go for a PC come 2017 or 2016 Black Friday/Boxing Day. The Lenovo's out there are getting great reviews and are significantly cheaper and I'll probably get 3 years out of $700 anyway.

My allegiance to Apple's aesthetics and "feel" ended when I discovered MMM.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:54:55 AM by tomatops »

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

My current laptop is over 10 years old. I know people will trash the macbook and say there are other computers better and less expensive. But i love apple and im tired of windows. Ive never had a macbook btw. I just appreciate them more after having owned an iphone then a note 4... and now i want to go back to an iphone 7.

Must resist...

What additional functionality will you get out of a MacBook vs a $400 PC?  Is there something you need to do that can only be done on the MacBook?

edit:  Something I do when I get an itch for some shiny new thing, is wait a month.  Just wait one month and see if you still want it so badly.  I suspect after a month you'll have found something else you'd rather spend the money on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:29:52 AM by ooeei »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
I bought a laptop.

Two months later, I sold it for the price I paid for it. It was like new - I had barely touched it. I only used my phone and ipad.

Do you have other devices that could replace your laptop?

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
I see some people mentioning buying an older Macbook. One advantage older Macbooks have is they still have ethernet ports. All of the newer Macbooks don't. I believe 2012 year models might have been the last year to have ethernet ports in them. I've occasionally been to hotels and other places that plugging into ethernet is the only option to get online. That's becoming more and more rare, but still.

I have a 2012 Macbook. It was purchased in late 2011, right when they switched to the early 2012 model. It's my first Apple product. I bought it because I was curious about Macs. To be honest, there's certain things I like about it, but I don't feel it was worth the premium cost. Parts that work properly with it tend to cost more than similar products for Windows/Linux computers too. As a gamer, I also had to set up dual booting with Windows anyway to play certain games, so it can be inconvenient at times.

Whenever this one gets too old, I plan to go back to Windows.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
I've been pretty happy with my 2013 Macbook Air 13". Lightweight and it has enough power to decently play games to the likes of Deus Ex Human Revolution, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock Infinite. Plus fits all our other needs for web browsing, Facetiming with family, etc. I do like the built-in terminal as well for interfacing with my Linux devices. For the longest time I avoided buying anything Apple... in fact, this MBA is technically [mostly] paid for by my old company (I received an MBA 11" as part of taking a educational course during 2013 for which I received tuition reimbursement for, flipped it on ebay, and then waited for a deal on a MBA 13" and jumped... I think I spent no more than $200-300 out of pocket for it). Considering how good the MBA has been for me, I'm not sure I'd *need* to get a Macbook Pro... it would definitely be nicer though :) I'm sure people can hype it up and sure it might be a luxury but that doesn't discount the fact that it is pretty painless to use (don't have to worry about installing or reimaging Windows yourself because you wanted a certain edition without a bunch of random Dell/HP/etc bloatware) - you just turn the Macbook on and everything *is* - and unless something catastrophic happens, then you have to worry about reinstalling Mac OS X, but that's pretty rare. You get what you pay for... but definitely look for deals and consider older models (you don't need the latest and greatest to be happy)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
I've been pretty happy with my 2013 Macbook Air 13". Lightweight and it has enough power to decently play games to the likes of Deus Ex Human Revolution, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock Infinite. Plus fits all our other needs for web browsing, Facetiming with family, etc. I do like the built-in terminal as well for interfacing with my Linux devices. For the longest time I avoided buying anything Apple... in fact, this MBA is technically [mostly] paid for by my old company (I received an MBA 11" as part of taking a educational course during 2013 for which I received tuition reimbursement for, flipped it on ebay, and then waited for a deal on a MBA 13" and jumped... I think I spent no more than $200-300 out of pocket for it). Considering how good the MBA has been for me, I'm not sure I'd *need* to get a Macbook Pro... it would definitely be nicer though :) I'm sure people can hype it up and sure it might be a luxury but that doesn't discount the fact that it is pretty painless to use (don't have to worry about installing or reimaging Windows yourself because you wanted a certain edition without a bunch of random Dell/HP/etc bloatware) - you just turn the Macbook on and everything *is* - and unless something catastrophic happens, then you have to worry about reinstalling Mac OS X, but that's pretty rare. You get what you pay for... but definitely look for deals and consider older models (you don't need the latest and greatest to be happy)

I agree. I'm quitting my professor job at the end of this semester and am going to transition to writing full-time.  So, I'll be giving up my work Macbook (5 years old).  I really, really don't want to write full-time on our PC laptop, so I'm going to buy a used MacBook instead.  I will be fine with used -- in my experience, Macs wear very well.  To the extent that before I decided to quit, I turned down my scheduled computer replacement at work because I couldn't see any reason to replace my five year-old MacBook with a newer one. 

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »
I've noticed since I bought an iPhone 6+, I rarely even use a laptop or a tablet. I maybe use the laptop once a month, and the tablet a little more.

After working on a pc for 8-10 hours a day, I avoid them if at all possible when I get home. I try to do all of my personal computing needs right after (or during if there is free time) work before heading home.

I too was obsessed with getting a Mac for awhile (still feel the pull sometimes), but I just can't justify the purchase as I would rarely use it.

Bought my father-in-law a 15" (he's old) chromebook last summer for like $250.  He didn't like it the first week, but now he loves it. I'll probably go that route whenever my 5 year-old Dell craps out.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
Just get one.  I don't skimp on spending on things I use every day usually for multiple hours.  I have nice bikes, a car that isnt a total piece of shit, a decent apartment, nice bed, eat good food, etc.

With that said, you can definitely snag deals on craigslist for discounted macbooks.  Last time I bought one I got a 2012 macbook pro 15 inch and replaced the HDD with a 1TBSSD.  Even as a 2012, it has i7, 16gb ram, and 1TB SSD. It kicks ass and still handles everything I throw at it.  Saved like $1500 buying used and upgrading myself.

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
My chrome book cost me less than $200 and if it only ends up lasting me a year, then it'll still be more cost effective than getting a Mac.

Of course, it's been working wonderfully so far and I expect it to last much longer than a year. I do still have a Windows laptop as well for when I need to run something like turbo tax. I like having flexibility with my computer and I don't really get that with apple products.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
After only used Windows machines before I bought my MBA about 2.5 years ago, and have used it daily ever since.

Things I have found improve the experience for me, over a Windows machine:

- The trackpad. The gestures support it has is fantastic. Installing a tool such as BetterTouchTool gives even more scope. My gesture are so ingrained into my laptop experience that when I use another machine it frustrates me to have to use keyboard shortcuts or, shock horror, manually click. I've not found another machine that provides the same quality.

- Sleep mode. I don't know what it is about OSX that is different to Windows in this respect, but the fact I never have to turn my MBA off and by shutting the lid it typically wakes up in less than a second is so pleasing. Again, I've never used a Windows machine that provides the same level of ease.

- Battery life. Even after 2.5 years I still get several hours battery life doing normal tasks. Compare this to my 6 month old Dell M3800 which lasts 2 hours at the most.

Bad things:

- Expensive, but then so are Windows ultrabooks.

- When switching between OSX and Windows the fact that minimise, maximise and close are on the "wrong" side gets confusing for about a week.

- You can't take it anywhere or risk looking like a hipster.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »

Must resist...

What additional functionality will you get out of a MacBook vs a $400 PC?  Is there something you need to do that can only be done on the MacBook?

edit:  Something I do when I get an itch for some shiny new thing, is wait a month.  Just wait one month and see if you still want it so badly.  I suspect after a month you'll have found something else you'd rather spend the money on.
This.
So OP has never owned a Mac, but they are sooo much better? Because you like your iPhone, and dislike Android? Eh, not quite sure about this logic..

That $2,000 Microsoft surface book thing is supposed to be pretty good too. If you want a stupid expensive laptop. Comparing a MacBook to $500 dells and the like isn't really fair.

I have a 3 year old install of Windows 7 and don't remember the last time the OS crashed. I don't know what some of you people do with your PCs..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:08:30 PM by Scandium »

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person.
They work better for us, too. The most popular version control system, Git, is really poorly supported on Windows (I'm assuming you're using "PC" as shorthand for "Windows" since if you simply meant "personal computer" a Mac would be one of those too!). (Git was originally created for Linux users to contribute to the Linux kernel, so Windows' limitations were nowhere on the radar.)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »

+1

I use both windows and OS X on a regular basis. I nee windows to use Solidworks but bought a Mac partitioned it installed windows rather than buy a PC. Why would I spend an extra 200 dollars to do that instead of just buying an equivalent Dell? Aside from preferring the interface of OS X here first few experiences come to mind that keep me buying Macs:

I dropped my 15" macbook from waist height onto concrete. Horrified I watched it land edge first in the worst way possible. That was 5 years ago and despite a serious dent it's still runs almost every day. A cheaper plastic laptop would almost certainly have died that day. My wife had a similar experience with at 13" macbook.

I once restored windows on a Dell using the disk provided with the computer. It didn't include the drivers for the ethernet or wifi. Those had to be downloaded from Dell's web site which I obviously couldn't access... That's never happened to me with a Mac.

I've used a variety of laptops and I've never met a PC track pad comes close to the precision and smooth operation Mac has had for years. I always get frustrated and switch to mouse with windows.

A smart but less computer savvy coworkers has a brand new Lenovo with a touch screen and windows 10. She only uses it as a computer but managed to get it into touch screen mode by accident and couldn't get it back. It shouldn't be possible to do that by accident!

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
I have used both Mac and PC for the better part of thirty years. Macs just... Work better for the average non-computer science person.
They work better for us, too. The most popular version control system, Git, is really poorly supported on Windows (I'm assuming you're using "PC" as shorthand for "Windows" since if you simply meant "personal computer" a Mac would be one of those too!). (Git was originally created for Linux users to contribute to the Linux kernel, so Windows' limitations were nowhere on the radar.)
Heh, I will absolutely say that linux is better than windows. But i can easily put linux on a windows machine.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »

Must resist...

This.
So OP has never owned a Mac, but they are sooo much better? Because you like your iPhone, and dislike Android? Eh, not quite sure about this logic..

That $2,000 Microsoft surface book thing is supposed to be pretty good too. If you want a stupid expensive laptop. Comparing a MacBook to $500 dells and the like isn't really fair.

I have a 3 year old install of Windows 7 and don't remember the last time the OS crashed. I don't know what some of you people do with your PCs..

10 years ago I spent $1200 on a nice HP built to the specs I wanted. Within 2-3 years it had gone to shit. Battery quit working, disk drive would eject at random, power button and track pad quit working (had to turn on computer with QuickTime button)

It got stolen about 3 years after buying. Then I went out and spent $1150 on. MBP. This was around 7-8 years ago. It still works today. I use it many hours a day for around 5-6 years. Battery is shot now and track pad struggles, but still works great otherwise. Can plug in and use a Bluetooth mouse.

Like the person quoted above, I no longer use my computer. I have an iPhone 6plus and do all my computing needs at work during the day. I do everything at home on my 6plus. In fact, 99% of my posts on this forum are from my phone - this one is. I switched to a Note for a couple years after many years of iPhones, but once iPhone came out with the larger screen size I switched back.

Those are just my experiences. If I was to buy another computer, I'd have a hard time choosing between the surface pro 4 and a new mac.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »
10 years ago I spent $1200 on a nice HP built to the specs I wanted. Within 2-3 years it had gone to shit. Battery quit working, disk drive would eject at random, power button and track pad quit working (had to turn on computer with QuickTime button)

It got stolen about 3 years after buying.

It got stolen, or you just let it sitting in a public place so you'd have an excuse to buy something better? ;)

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2016, 06:39:40 AM »
I just want to point out here the OP didn't come in asking if Mac or PC was better, he came in saying he wants a MacBook with no real justification, and then said "must resist."  This tells me it's just a current, for lack of a better word, craving, and will probably pass with time. 

This is the same poster who came in asking about how to buy his dad a house because "he can't keep renting forever" and "he's made bad financial decisions in other areas." 

I get that the people here love their Macs, and if you use it very regularly for music editing or whatever they're supposed to be good for and really get some significant advantages out of it, that's great.  If OP is like the other 95% of computer users though, he'll browse the internet, watch some Netflix, and maybe use Word or Excel for some basic document creation.  Suggesting a 2-3x more expensive Mac is worth it for the average computer user is a pretty tough sell. 

If he was someone who had $500,000 in investments and generally had his spending in check, then sure go nuts if you really want the Mac.  As is he's a recent college grad living in a new country (if I remember right) who constantly asks questions about calculating savings rate and optimizing his budget.  That's not someone who I'd recommend spend $1200 (or whatever it costs) on a new computer when a $400 one would do the exact same stuff with a potentially-less-friendly-but-still-better-than-anything-5-years-ago interface.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »

Must resist...

This.

Yep.  Without more info, it sounds like you want a Macbook "because Apple" with no other real reason.

You say you're "sick of Windows", that you "love Apple" but have "never had a MacBook."

It sounds like you're really just sick of your 10+ year old laptop.  If you're using a 10+ year old laptop currently as your primary machine, there's no reason to want the "latest and greatest" on any technical front.  A $600-700 Dell Latitude (their business line; I can't comment on Inspirons of late) laptop would be just fine, and probably even more than you need.  I just bought a few of those at work, and they're great little laptops.  It's amazing how thin and light everything's gotten the past few years.  And you can get it with Windows 7 if you don't want Windows 10.  My only beef with them is that they don't have a TrackPoint (some of the fancier current Dells do), only a trackpad, but you don't care about that if you consider a MacBook desirable.

I see some people mentioning buying an older Macbook. One advantage older Macbooks have is they still have ethernet ports. All of the newer Macbooks don't. I believe 2012 year models might have been the last year to have ethernet ports in them. I've occasionally been to hotels and other places that plugging into ethernet is the only option to get online. That's becoming more and more rare, but still.

I have a 2012 Macbook. It was purchased in late 2011, right when they switched to the early 2012 model. It's my first Apple product. I bought it because I was curious about Macs. To be honest, there's certain things I like about it, but I don't feel it was worth the premium cost. Parts that work properly with it tend to cost more than similar products for Windows/Linux computers too. As a gamer, I also had to set up dual booting with Windows anyway to play certain games, so it can be inconvenient at times.

Whenever this one gets too old, I plan to go back to Windows.
You've got to be fucking kidding me.  No ethernet ports?

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2016, 03:00:21 AM »
For some people (e.g., my former boss, don't even get me started on him...) it is because they are incredible Apple fanboys and -girls. They simply must have every new Apple product (side note: when the Apple watch came out, I was totally convinced for a while that someone was running an extremely elaborate satire campaign).

But there is one important advantage that Macs have: You don't have to deal with Windows bullshit. I don't see the great appeal of Apple products either (and consider most much too expensive). But you can guess from my avatar which previously mentioned OS is my choice. (My desktop PC is 7 years old, my laptop 5 or so and both run perfectly. I do admit that I upgraded the Desktop PC to 16GB RAM and ~7TB of hard disk space because I could).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:13:33 AM by WerKater »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »
I like using macs and am a software developer. A few reasons I like them and use them personally:

• Build is high quality and feels robust
  • Screen/trackpad are high quality (Windows machines are finally catching up, but for many years this was a non-contest in Apple's favor)
  • Backlit keyboard and overall keyboard quality
  • Lightweight, compared to equivalent machines
  • Quiet during normal operation
  • I prefer OS:X over Windows
  • Much nicer workflow for a developer who does non-Windows exclusive stuff
  • Great buildin backup/recovery tools
  • High resale (I just sold my 2010 13" macbook pro for $400 cash on CL)

Not all of these are unique to Macs, but I have also found if you look for comparable Windows based machines you have to pay close to what you pay for a Mac.

The last point for me is important too. My previous machine cost me $900 net for about 6 years worth of continual usage through graduate school and personal life ($1100 purchase cost, plus $200 for an SSD/Ram and then $400 less for the resale). A Windows based machine very well could have lasted that long but would not have been that significant a cost savings in an absolute sense. If I had bought a $500 cheap Windows laptop in 2010, the total cost difference assuming it lasted as long would have only been around $400.

For me, the benefits in the above list are well worth $75/year.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
See if you can borrow a macbook.  You may find you don't really like them after all.  I've owned Macs, Windows, and Linux machines myself and there is now machine that's right for everyone.  You need to find the one that's right for you.  For me personally, Macs are the worst of the 3 (and my last personal Mac I sold at a big loss after just 9 months because I was so frustrated with it).  I find them very exasperating to use as I continually run in to barriers where they simply won't let me do what I want.  I do have to use them at work sometimes though.  Windows is in second place.  Windows 10 is a HUGE improvement over previous versions, and it lets me do what I want, but it's just a little sluggish on older hardware.  Linux is currently my first place (and what I'm typing this on), but it also has flaws.  The distro I'm on only supports older machines (32-bit) if your on the bleeding edge version.  "Stable" requires 64-bit.  So, I bump into little oddities from time to time.  Oh, and the software updater is horrible.  YaST is nice when it works, but sometimes it just refuses to see any updates.  Yum also suffers from issues resolving library conflicts and wanting to suck back in software I've removed.

Best go hands on for a bit with all the options before you decide.

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
I played with the macbook 12" today and i loved it
 I tried the macbook pros but theyre too big for my taste. If they come out with an upgraded 12" refresh soon, im getting it.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
You've got to be fucking kidding me.  No ethernet ports?

Well they have Thunderbolt ports and you can always use http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
I can't speak to "I want one to play around with," but I've made my living on computers for quite a few years, and I generally use Apple hardware.  The "just works" aspect of it is worth quite a bit of time to me - or at least was back when I switched over in the early 2000s.

That it's painless to upgrade hardware (plug the old one and new one together somehow, they work out the details and copy everything over) is a nice touch as well.

I'm perfectly fluent with OS X, Linux, and Windows, and I don't bother with Windows except for gaming - which doesn't happen much lately.

Of course, I'm typing this from a Chromebook Pixel LS in developer mode with Crouton available (so full Linux available to me).  It's not a cheap Chromebook, but it's a damned good laptop, period.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2016, 11:27:54 PM »
My brother's got a Windows laptop that's three years old and having issues. My other brother's Windows laptop was recently repaired and it was about three years old. My dad's Windows tablet is currently in the shop getting fixed and it's two years old.

I've owned my current MacBook Pro for just under seven years (although there's a couple of minor issues now, most are because it's been dropped a couple of times).

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2016, 03:01:54 AM »
I've had three apple laptops since 2004 and all of them still work. The two I have replaced were because the technology in them became superseded (powerPC anyone?) or limiting for my needs. In retrospect I should have sold them back instead of holding onto them as even older apple laptops seem to keep reasonable resale value.

I second whoever mentioned the refurbished option. I wouldn't buy a retail boxed apple computer again as long as the refurbished option is there.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »
My chrome book cost me less than $200 and if it only ends up lasting me a year, then it'll still be more cost effective than getting a Mac.

Of course, it's been working wonderfully so far and I expect it to last much longer than a year. I do still have a Windows laptop as well for when I need to run something like turbo tax. I like having flexibility with my computer and I don't really get that with apple products.

You can run Turbotax online with a Chromebook. I bought one of the first Chromebooks that came out over 4 years ago for $400. It lasted about 4 years before issues became present (screen going in and out). I've played around with some of the newer ones (in comparison) like the Samsung 3 series, Acer C720, or the HP 14" (forgot which model). I'd say 3-4 years is a pretty fair estimate.

DW uses an old Macbook, and I use the Chromebook. I tried out a Windows laptop and it was an okay experience, because it was Windows 7. But Windows 8 and 10 just make me super angry when I use them. It's like Microsoft wants to see how much it can torture users and get away with it.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
The main difference between Apple/Mac and Windows (or Android phones) is that all Apple products are premium, while products using Windows or Android vary wildly in quality.  I love my Windows laptop and Android phone, but they are premium versions.

OP, I agree with the poster who said to wait and see if your craving passes.  Wait six months, and during that time think about whether your life would actually be improved by it.  Think about if your life could be similarly improved in another way.

I crave newer cars all the time.  When I decide I want a particular car, I think for a few months about whether my life would significantly better or improved in any way if I had it.  If I'm honest, it wouldn't.  It would make my life nicer in some ways, but I wouldn't be any happier overall.  I realized that the one thing that I would really, really appreciate is bluetooth in my car for music, audiobooks, and calls (without needing to look down at my phone).  I bought a $40 bluetooth adapter for my car and voila! Life improved! 

Glad I spent $40 instead of $20,000.  Now, I'm getting rid of some of my student loans altogether and doing some slight renovations to my house that will bring big quality of life improvements.  That $20,000 will materially improve my life, instead of going to a car that I wouldn't even care about after a while.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
My 5 year old MacBook Pro was killed by my toddler, sold it for parts and decided not to spend the cash on a new MacBook, and used ones were selling for way over their real value here.  I decided to buy a brand new Mac Mini ($500 on Black Friday) and got a used 1080p 23" monitor for $60, a used apple mouse and keyboard ($40).  Total cost was $600 and I have all the function of a brand new Mac, it just doesn't fold up like a laptop. 

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
At the end of the day how much "effective" use are you gonna get out of it?  A PC laptop at a half the cost can probably do the same job.  Windows 7(64)/10 is pretty solid right now.

My daily driver laptop is still an Thinkpad X200, never had a single issue with it.  Windows these days are not like yesteryear... they are much more intuitive for new users.  Windows app store does blow the big one though, but I generally just use desktop apps (Still on Windows 7-64).

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »
I had a PC from 1992 through 2008. The PC taught me that I am a shallow person who gets angry easily. No way in hell am I going back to a Windows laptop. What a POS parade.

Besides, once you comparably spec out a windows laptop and a MBP, it gets reasonably close. Yes, you *could* use a 286 that you got out of a dumpster for editing text and thereby satisfy legitimate MMM forum approved computer needs. But life is short and I'm done with Windows induced rage. YMMV.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:55:19 PM by Fuzz »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!