Author Topic: I need a new (USED) car, looking at these 3  (Read 4574 times)

beel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I need a new (USED) car, looking at these 3
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »
Well my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport is finally on its last wheel, and Im looking for a new (USED) car.  So far I am considering the Scion XA, Suzuki Aeiro SX, or Mazda 3 hatchback.  I have driven new Ford Focuses and I was pretty impressed with those, but was wondering what people who own these 3 cars think.  The one "luxury" I do want out of my next car is COMFORT.  My Montero Sport was such a POS.  It wallowed and rolled like crazy.  The cornering was very unstable.  The seat felt like concrete.  Felt like it was built for people shorter than 5'5".    Im assuming the Mazda 3 would ride a lot like the Focus, but its also the most expensive.  I have never been in the other two. 

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
Re: I need a new (USED) car, looking at these 3
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
The one "luxury" I do want out of my next car is COMFORT.

Comfort is personal and no amount of posting on or reading internet forums (fora?) will tell you what you need to know.  Just get out there and do some long test drives. 

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
I just bought a used Kia Soul. I narrowed it down to that and the Mazda 3 HB. The Mazda 3 is nicer in every way except the price.  Mazda's seem really built for pleasure of driving first, economy second, so comfort wise I think the Mazda will be the best of your choices. In reality you've done your homework and all will work for you, just base it on what kind of a deal you can find.

Mrkineticz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:03:23 PM »
get the scion more reliability. the suzuki is not a very popular car and will cost you more in the long run for maintenance and repairs. the mazda 3 is good as well I dont know if their reliability has increased. Ford focuses have transmission issues check before you buy a dual clutch automatic from 2012+.

I drive a prius and it gets me 500 miles per tank / 50mpg. absolutely no maintenance issues.
here are cars to consider

honda fit
toyota corolla
toyota prius
scion xa or xb
scion tc
honda civic.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
I am considering the Scion XA, Suzuki Aeiro SX, or Mazda 3 hatchback.

What is your budget and regional location?  That is the most important factor.  For example, if you live in the midwest and most of the New England area, it seems you can find 3-4 year old Hondas and Toyotas that aren't yet rusted out for competitive prices.  However in California and states that border it, Honda/Toyota carries what seems like a 30-50% price premium on the used market making them potentially less attractive depending on how long you plan to keep the car.

Of the list you gave, I'd go with a Mazda 3 hatchback, but I know that Mazdas have a reputation for being a little more susceptible to rust than some other makes.  There's only a limited portion of the US where that makes a big difference however.  There's options from Hyundai and Kia that could be quite attractive.  They have the longest warranties available, so if you're shopping cars that have, say 35,000 miles on them, there would still be a decent amount of the factory powertrain warranty left, and possibly a portion of the anti-perforation (rust) warranty too.  I've had two Hyundai Elantras in the past and found they struck a nice balance between comfort and handling.  My sister in law has a Kia Soul and it seems similar in that respect.

hexdexorex

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »
Def not Suzuki. Personally I would go all in on Toyota. Honda is great as well but many of their cars have auto trans issues.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
Out of those options I would definitely go with the Mazda, no question about it.

Reasoning: the Suzuki, while interesting, is an orphan. It didn't sell, and it wasn't a particularly great car. Nothing wrong with it, but there are better options at any price.

The Scion was based on the Yaris, which is what I'll be using to make my comparison since I have no experience with the Xa other than my Toyota dealer neighbor telling me it wasn't a great car when it was new. The Yaris is safe, reliable, and gets good gas mileage. That is where the praise stops. It simply isn't a good car; for little more money you can get a Corolla or Vibetrix that will be better in nearly every way (I hate Corolla's, but respect them for what they are: about the perfect appliance).

The Mazda3 is a great car. It is lacking a tiny bit in reliability compared to the Toyota, and a little more in economy. But it is a much better car all around. The handling is phenominal for something in that class; the interior IMHO is much better, the leather isn't bad for fleather (fake leather; vinyl). It just feels better than a Focus or Corolla of the same time period (I have enough experience with all three that I will stand by that).

I'd throw the Suzuki out, and test drive the Scion and the Mazda and see what you will like--my nod goes to the Mazda, but I wouldn't say NO to the Scion until you've actually driven it. But the Suzuki, unfortunately, would be solidly in the no camp for me unless it is WAY cheaper. As in half the price cheaper.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »
I'd throw out the Suzy too. The Scion is probably a little cheaper to operate and would probably get a bit better gas mileage than the Mazda 3. The Mazda 3 is sportier but a little thirstier and a little more complicated.

The '12+ Focii are nice and you can get them reasonable (~10k) but I would only ever buy a stick. I rode in an automatic and wondered why anyone would ever buy one.

Also look at Chevy Sonics, Chevy Cruze. I've seen them under 10k.

DO yourself a favor and drive all of them. I've made the mistake of making a decision based what's on paper instead of using that to narrow things down then driving them all.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
Give the Scion a test drive!  I have heard from a tall acquaintance that some Scions are great: the cheapest, most reliable Car For Tall People ( you said your current car feels like it was built for people under 5'5"; my friend is about 6'2').

Online, there is lots of info.  Scion has high user ratings.  Do your research. I'm not familiar with xA vs xB, but it might make a big difference for you.

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »
Honda is great as well but many of their cars have auto trans issues.
The Hondas with the automatic transmission issues were the V6s, the mustachian move is to buy one with the 4-cylinder engine. 

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
I rented a brand new Aeiro.  Out of the box with the new car smell and all, a total tin can POS that felt like I was driving with the parking brake engaged for 500 miles. No to the 'Ro.

Have loved me a Matrix, a Corolla and a Camry, and even a little Turcel once upon a time.  All good things to say about Toyota and that probably bleeds over to the Scions as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:24:02 PM by frufrau »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!