Author Topic: I NEED A JOB STAT  (Read 7646 times)

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I NEED A JOB STAT
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
Ok here goes, I have a non traditional background in finance. I spent 10 months in financial services which caused me to rack up a lot of debt (ugh) and blow through 8 months of savings (double ugh). Now I also find out my 10 months do not count as financial experience.....

That is in the past. I am surrounded by a wonderful, caring and supportive group of friends and family, but we can't figure out how to get my resume past the EVIL online resume screeners. Placement agencies are not an option (I have called) due to the non traditional background. I live in CT where you throw a stone you will hit numerous boutique financial firms. Mustachians what would you do? What should I do?

(Please do not say get a job at walmart, please. No I can't go back to coaching. Yes I have contacted both alumni offices and they are trying to help as well, I can't afford to move out of state at this moment)

I have attached my resume

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gHFroXLP6KIozMUKprnO8Wtp7UCvsJi8UZLFzRmKJ3k/edit?usp=sharing

Please help, I know it is an odd case, but we have all had times where we needed help. I have gone from 100% to severely depressed on medication and anti anxiety medication. The people I have spoken to have all said you just "need to get your foot in the door, you know what you are doing".

I want my life, my dignity and my smile back. Please help

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Re: I NEED A JOB STAT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
School is misspelled with an extra L on your resume. VLookup is nice but it's not really an advanced Excel skill.

Honestly I think you just need any job. Why are placement agencies not an option?

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
I used to re-write resumes as a side job (worst job ever). There are quite a few problems with your resume. Here are some notes.

- There are spelling mistakes and some weird punctuation
- Lots of run on sentences
- You completed a masters a short time ago and don't have a ton of work experience. Possibly, put education above work experience and flesh out exactly what you learned in your masters as it applies to jobs you want.
- write a summary at start talking about the job you want.
- this is a finance resume so give hard numbers on how you improved your client's financial situation
- you mention excel - if you know other financial software (quickbooks and so on) make a skills section and talk about your skill level for each one

Those are some ideas of the top of my head

edit: i misread - you have tons of experience in leadership roles. I'd try to repurpose that experience into the financial role that you want. Are you looking for a leadership role?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:14:52 PM by dagagad »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »
Your resume has a lot of tell, and not much show. I'm not in finances, but I would guess that you need hard numbers. Some suggestions:

1. What was the budget for the hockey team you handled? How did you ensure it stayed in the black (bake sales, alumni donation, extortion, bank robbery?)
2. What was the total value of the portfolio you managed?
3. By how much did you increase the average clients portfolio?
4. How much did you elevate productivity, and what kind of productivity are you talking about? Did you win more games? Spend less time on administrative duties and more on coaching.

Were you in ROTC? If so, you need to make it more clear.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
I don't think it's that non traditional. So you changed careers, that's not a big deal. Do you live close enough that you can interview in NYC? There are more jobs there. Or can your loving family give you a loan so you can get an apt in NYC? Your ten months do count, but you're not in a dynamic job market is what it sounds like. Are you on LinkedIn?

First your going to need to take a deep breath and realize it can be awhile until you get another job in your field. Don't take just any job, finding a job in your field will take a lot of effort, which is how it is for everyone.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
I wouldn't mention that you know how to use vlookup. I don't even use excel and I know how to do that. It's like putting it on your resume that you know how to tie a shoe. Pivot tables likewise.

There are also a handful of misspellings on the resume.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:50:45 PM by obstinate »

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
Thank you everyone. The resume I attached is not the one I have been sending out (no spelling errors).

The Vlookups and Pivot tables were added by the one recruiter who would work with me, to catch resume scanners. Placement agencies want a round peg for a round hole, I am more of a wtf shape peg.

Will work on adding hard numbers. I would love to highlight my leadership experience, not sure how though, since many of these jobs are entry level. Been told yes and no on a summary, I have no idea.

I am in CT so I am more than able to get to NYC for jobs. I am on linkedin, if anyone is up for it I would love an outside opinion.

I agree on the any job. I have had offers from every other financial services company (life insurance) and I can't go back to commission work. The original plan was for me to get a part time job, apply for full time jobs and try to "intern" for a small boutique operation to get the line item.

Also, being pressured to get an MBA.......

This is the type of job I am aiming at: http://www.ihirefinance.com/candidate/jobs/view/81490840?resultset=0dc84d10-3821-48ae-87d1-9c4bad173760&result=11
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:35:13 PM by halseyskates33 »

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
OK, to summarise; you were a sports coach, did a history degree, coached some more, did a Masters in operational leadership then some self employed and customer service/sales/financial planner type financial work? What are you looking for next? (Sorry I couldn't get the link to work for the job you are looking for.)

Some initial thoughts on things that can be changed:

As others have mentioned, the spelling, grammar and sentence structure isn't perfect on the resume - first thought are is English your first language? If you are looking for high level graduate roles, you'll need to brush up your written communication skills - some additional learning here may be advantageous, or practise reading and writing in English a lot. For instance the first words 'project and interpret future needs' whilst not incorrect, could be replaced with 'understanding and forecasting client's needs' which brings the client to the fore.

I'm also a bit puzzled why you call yourself a DBA, but make no mention of databases? What did you actually do in this role - I'm thinking you made graphs and forecasts in Excel, which would be much more an analyst role than a DBA. People hiring DBA's would read this and say not a DBA, people hiring analysts wouldn't look as it's labelled as a DBA. Thus having a recognised and accurate job title in your resume will help massively.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
Sadly, yes English is my native language. The wording has been changed so many times by so many different people, not thrilled to hear it doesn't make sense. But will review it and make changes.

Am hoping for a job as an analyst or any entry level finance job

DBA- Doing Business As then the Umbrella Company name (which was never actually formed). Basically I was self employed doing financial analyst work for clients for cash while I completed my M.S.

How do I handle the fact that the company was just something I did in grad school to earn extra cash, but it was never set up as a LLC, S Corp or C Corp.

Thinking I should change it to Self Employed, Analyst XYZ Group, Financial Analyst.

I really appreciate the suggestions and am working on implementing them. Thank you all and keep them coming!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:46:52 AM by halseyskates33 »

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »

DBA- Doing Business As then the Umbrella Company name (which was never actually formed). Basically I was self employed doing financial analyst work for clients for cash while I completed my M.S.

How do I handle the fact that the company was just something I did in grad school to earn extra cash, but it was never set up as a LLC, S Corp or C Corp.

If you did something and got paid for it, it doesn't matter that it was never set up as a corporation.  You were by default a sole proprietor.  Skip the 'self employed' terminology and tell it like it is - you were the owner of the company.  Use that section to highlight how you used your management/leadership skills learned while coaching to run a successful business and guide your clients.  Be prepared to explain why you stopped doing that to work for someone else and be sure you have good reasons (wanted to expand knowledge base, diversifying, etc.).

Take out the vlookup and pivot tables, as was previously stated those are basic skills.  Create a solid, generic resume and tailor it for each job you apply for.  Look carefully at the ad and try to use the key words they post in either your resume, cover letter or both. 

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1szJw5NANUP-rt1RbdTBCII8z_tBhWEW_jCqFENwqjiY/edit?usp=sharing

This is the update: Included some hard numbers to show results
                           Changed self employed to financial analyst
                           Added a summary at the top
                           Removed 1 coaching job from 2003

Thoughts? trying to focus more on finance with numbers to demonstrate the work that I did.

MattC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 06:35:29 PM »
My suggestion would be to go to the PBS website and read lots of Ask the Headhunter columns.  In my experience (engineering) it's right on in terms of perspective on finding a job and networking.  Then get out there and network network network face to face with people.  Systematically have lunch with all your connections in the industry.  Pick their brains; see if they can connect you with other folks who could be helpful.  Look at your linkedin connections for their connections who work at companies you're interested in.  Message them saying you're a friend of _ and interested in breaking into their field and were wondering if you could grab lunch to talk about the field.  Go to seminars and whatnot that have finance folks in attendance.  Search MMM posts/profiles for folks in finance in your area, and see if you can meet up with them.  Ask around at church or whatever other social organizations you're a part of.  Sure some of that stuff is a little forward, and some folks will blow you off, but if you're a good listener who is interested in what other people are doing and honest about where you're at, people will help you.

You can go crazy obsessing over resumes, but it's really more important to do the right networking; especially since your background is a little nontraditional. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1szJw5NANUP-rt1RbdTBCII8z_tBhWEW_jCqFENwqjiY/edit?usp=sharing

This is the update: Included some hard numbers to show results
                           Changed self employed to financial analyst
                           Added a summary at the top
                           Removed 1 coaching job from 2003

Thoughts? trying to focus more on finance with numbers to demonstrate the work that I did.

Thoughts:

Innovative cross-functional leader with passion for using data analysis and strategic thinking to break down complicated and complex problems into linear and intuitive solutions that drive growth and efficiency.

This is pure fluff that sounds like you wanted to put as many buzzwords into a single sentence as possible.

Your bullet points are huge for some reason.
Make space between all your things so I can skim this. Right now there is NO vertical spacing and it's terribly hard to skim.  I have to read it to skim it. that makes me go "sigh tldr" when I look at it for the maybe 5-10 seconds before it loses my interest.
Lose the caps except for the headings. Makes skimming hard when tons of stuff is caps that's not important.
Move "accomplishments" to something like "Activities" or something else. It is a long list right now.
All your jobs are "I did X" and all do not say "... which resulted in Y". Things like, "Accurately determine risk tolerance and utilize financial products to minimize and mitigate financial instability" ---> so what? I don't care. I care about what that did. Did you actual mitigate financial instability? how?
"Providing for clients to invest additional 3% of net assets on average" I don't understand what this means
use sub bullet points instead of semicolons

Notice how hard that list was to really read/analyze. That's how your resume reads. It's a long list with NO white space, which nearly always helps readability.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »
I would get rid of the summary. Your resume already has a lot of words on it. I think it looks better though.

If you want, you could say the name of the company, your title, then -1099. People know what that means. But I would just list the company and say what you did for them. I worked for cash in grad school and it never came up in my interviews whether it was 1099 or not.

It's really a confidence game. You can't seem desperate for a job during your interviews. That's a sure way not to get the job. Employers want to give jobs to people who don't need them. I could go into why but that would require a whole 'nother thread.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 02:34:53 AM »
Hi, firstly to say you have a fabulous attitude, you'll find that great listening skills will help you a lot in your career.

I'm presuming you are looking at an entry level/graduate role, in a financial institution? Your competition will be other fresh graduates, so I'd suggest you add much more about your academics to your CV - projects completed etc.

I like CV headlines, but I tend to agree that the one you've chosen isn't too suitable - I'd be going for something more like. Highly motivated, mature masters graduate seeking a new challenge in financial services.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 10:16:54 AM »
Redo the formatting. It is hard to read. Keep the same style and tense in each section. Expand your experience taking about specific stuff you did that helped out the company/individuals. Make your skills less specific. You want the person reading this to assume you have the skills they need rather than let them know right away that you do not.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
I followed your other thread.  So THIS is the job that doesn't pay well and won't let you take on outside work?  Darn.

I just looked over this thread and resumes 1 and 2.  V2 ("For MMM") has typos still, and they are odd ones.
"forecasting clients needs’ based on" - There should not be an apostrophe.
"Primary    day-to-day" - You have two spaces in here.

I guess I'm not seeing what qualifies you to work in finance.  I see degrees in history and leadership, lots of hockey coaching, a "financial analyst" contractor role that appears to be more about budgeting than anything complex, insurance licenses, and your most recent stint selling insurance.  Insurance is not finance.

Did you take finance courses in college?  Do you have any licenses for work in finance?  Are you self-taught?  You must say what qualifies you to work in finance and will make you at least as employable in that area as someone with an actual degree.  You are competing with all the graduates who majored in finance.

If you want a job in finance, your coaching in ice hockey (while pretty cool!) is not going to be a big asset.  That needs way less space on your resume.

For your LinkedIn profile, some things that may help:
  • Your LinkedIn profile must be as good as your resume.  Anything that others can see on Facebook, LinkedIn, and the rest of the internet should not detract from your image.  Employers will search your name on the internet.  My most recent employer had another employee look up the Facebook and LinkedIn profiles of potential hires to see if they posted dumb stuff online (underage drinking, racist rants, etc.) that we wouldn't want connected to us.
  • New headshot with better lighting.  You need less shadow on your face and more of a smile.  Headshots should make you look friendly and approachable.  It doesn't have to be taken professionally, but keep dressed professionally for it (as you are).  You might consider posting the same pic on your personal Facebook profile in place of the current one where you are falling asleep. (Yes, I Facebook-stalked you.  Potential employers will do the same.)  Your NYL profile is not going to keep people from looking at your personal one, and your NYL profile also needs a smile in the headshot.
  • The phrase "complicated and complex problems" is redundant.  Your summary looks like buzzwords without meaning.  How does "linear" fit?
  • Why is NY Life's disclaimer in your role description?  Nothing in your description requires a disclaimer.  Also, instead of "I am not licensed in all jurisdictions," try "I am licensed in CT, NY, and XX." (Whichever areas apply, of course.)
  • USE LinkedIn's skills section.  Here is where you can put all the Excel functions you use, all the MS Office programs you know, and any other programs.  Why is there an ellipsis after "Wealth Preservation"?  If finance people say you know your finance stuff, get them to endorse you on LinkedIn.  The only semi-financial thing for which you have endorsements is "Analysis," which unfortunately may not be the skill title you needed (as it could refer to database analysis, weather patterns analysis, hockey strategy analysis, etc.).  Look at keywords in the jobs you want, and see if you have those skills.  If so, add them to the list.
  • See if you can get anyone with a FINANCE background to give you a LinkedIn recommendation as to your FINANCE capabilities, then copy that onto your resume.  I notice you have endorsements from an engineer which is nice, but not as authoritative.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
I've been on a bunch of search committees (in higher ed) and I'm definitely in the anti-summary headline camp.  Might just be generational (I'm 39).

And while I agree that you may not need to mention vlookups / pivot tables on your resume, I don't agree that they're meaningless.  We recently hired an admissions specialist, and we absolutely asked if people knew how to do those things, and the vast majority of them could not.

And I totally agree with the advice re: being very careful w/ formatting / spelling / tense.  Nothing disqualifies someone faster (for me) than a wonky resume.

Subliminal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »
I actually found MMM through another blog, askamanager.org. I would head over there and soak up her advise on resumes, cover letters, and job searching in general. Her advise really helped me create a fantastic resume.

dagagad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
I'm against summaries too when the person has a very well defined career path. He doesn't so I don't think it hurts to have a summary to spell out what you want.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
Thank you again everyone!

Right now, nothing on paper qualifies me to work in finance. I am self taught. Currently debating taking a year studying for the GMAT and working retail then getting an MBA, because right now I really have no leg to stand on.

Meeting with a CEO of an investment firm tomorrow, referral from my mentor, not for a job, but for networking. Also have a meeting Friday with a someone I used to work with (Insurance)  who is now at a boutique firm.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:07:35 AM by halseyskates33 »

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:09 AM »
have you met with the career center of your university?

your resume is kind of... messy, to be frank. like you need to go line by line. take this one:

Understanding and forecasting clients needs’ based on market trends for individuals, families and businesses. Providing for clients to invest additional 3% of net assets on average

understanding is bs. take for granted anyone could do that. forecasting a clients' needs is also bs - and worse when misspelled.

taking this first line i would revise to the following:
Built additional 3% of net assets for range of individual, family, and business clients
Developed portfolios for X clients, including business with value of Y
Predicted market trend Z, leading to % increase for family clients

could you think about the story u want to tell a potential employer (how you developed yourself and how you can develop their company)? bc currently you are info dumping, without a focus

• parallel verb bullet points
  • 1 line for each bullet
  • gpa and a few key courses for education
  • sections to resume w better formatting (ex, school, leadership, work, technical skills)
also, bump up your font size and invest in multiple resumes based on the focus you want, be it the leadership-hockey thing or finance-with-internship-experience approach.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!