Author Topic: I need a high interest online savings and a no or low-fee foreign ATM card  (Read 2452 times)

SailAway

• Stubble
So CapitalOne 360 savings has a current APY of 0.75. Ally is 0.99, GE Capital is 1.05. I understand rates fluctuate.

But I'd also like an ATM card with no (preferably) foreign transaction fees. It looks like CapitalOne 360 checking fits that. No fees and no minimums.

Any reason not to just use the 360 checking account to put some money in for trips and use at foreign ATMs?

Anything better out there?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Capital One's decent.  I've been using them for years.  Here's a referral link - linky.  You get $50 for opening a checking account, and $25 for a savings account.  I think I would get $20 (still nothing to sneeze at!)

pzxc

• Stubble
Charles Schwab checking account refunds *ALL* atm fees, even those charged by the ATM merchant itself.

You may not pay a "foreign transaction fee" for a Capital One 360 atm use (I dunno) but I'm guessing you still have to pay whatever fee the ATM charges.
Charles Schwab refunds you any atm fees that occur no matter their source.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Schwab Investor Checking rebates all ATM fees charged anywhere in the world, so this applies locally as well as internationally. We transfer money into it as needed.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Yeah from the thread title I was going to suggest CapitolOne 360 anyway because of the no foreign transaction fees. They also have a decent overdraft policy, which, I wouldn't normally bring up on a forum like this, but can be helpful when you're traveling and don't have regular access to your account online.

That Schwab account sounds pretty sweet though.

SailAway

• Stubble
Capital One's decent.  I've been using them for years.  Here's a referral link - linky.  You get $50 for opening a checking account, and $25 for a savings account.  I think I would get $20 (still nothing to sneeze at!)
Cool, thanks. Sign-on bonuses are always good!
Schwab Investor Checking rebates all ATM fees charged anywhere in the world, so this applies locally as well as internationally. We transfer money into it as needed.
Charles Schwab checking account refunds *ALL* atm fees, even those charged by the ATM merchant itself.

You may not pay a "foreign transaction fee" for a Capital One 360 atm use (I dunno) but I'm guessing you still have to pay whatever fee the ATM charges.
Charles Schwab refunds you any atm fees that occur no matter their source.
Ah, yes, I was looking at Schwab, too.

Can you tell we are planning to increase our international travel this year?

Hadilly

• Bristles
Schwab had worked well for us. The fee refund also works in the states, should you need to go to a random ATM.