Author Topic: I need a black dye  (Read 2713 times)

luigi49

• Bristles
I need a black dye
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
Anyone know where I can get a black dye to re-dye a black shorts?   What brand and where to buy it? thanks

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: I need a black dye
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Might want to try a local art/craft supply store too.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Rit dye - available any place that sells fabric... JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, possibly WalMart (depends on if they still stock sewing supplies).

Or Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Powdered-Fabric-Black/dp/B00BMLHMCK/ref=pd_sim_ac_4/178-5277584-6886034?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F4SAPN0VWYZ85YRZNQR

Don't use this in your bathtub, and use caution on using your washing machine (do several rinse cycles after to remove all residue and avoid putting any light/white loads in there until after you've washed darker clothes a time or two). You can also use a bucket or other container you don't mind getting stained and do it outside on grass if possible. I've used their dyes in the washer without any bad effects, but for a black color, I'd be a little more worried about staining or residue so make sure to read all of the directions and follow them very carefully.

KiwiMust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »
That is exactly what I did in the weekend, I ended up finding a few things that were faded, they look so much better now. I am in a different country, but here I got it at the supermarket, in the laundry aisle; it also required a kilo of salt.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
Rit dye - available any place that sells fabric... JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, possibly WalMart (depends on if they still stock sewing supplies).

Or Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Powdered-Fabric-Black/dp/B00BMLHMCK/ref=pd_sim_ac_4/178-5277584-6886034?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F4SAPN0VWYZ85YRZNQR

Don't use this in your bathtub, and use caution on using your washing machine (do several rinse cycles after to remove all residue and avoid putting any light/white loads in there until after you've washed darker clothes a time or two). You can also use a bucket or other container you don't mind getting stained and do it outside on grass if possible. I've used their dyes in the washer without any bad effects, but for a black color, I'd be a little more worried about staining or residue so make sure to read all of the directions and follow them very carefully.

I was thinking of RIT dye but the review says it turns to purple..

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »
Why do you want to redye black shorts (fading, showing white bits...)? Are they all made of the same material (eg. they might have a zipper you want the same colour, sewing thread of a different sort (polyester vs cotton) or buttons)? Is there anything on them you don't want to dye (some embroidery)?

Black is a notorious colour for dyeing. Different fabrics require different dyes - silk/wool/cotton/polyester are all different - which don't react the same way to other fabrics. However, fabric paints colour everything, and some (like dye-na-flow) don't change then hand of the fabric. If your shorts were painted originally (showing white bits) rather than dyed (fading), a dye (which is a chemical bond between the fabric and the dye) probably won't take because the paint is actually covering the fabric.

Dharma Trading have good supplies. RIT is OK