Author Topic: I installed a GCFI, it has no output.  (Read 1217 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
I installed a GCFI, it has no output.
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
 Generally on electrical problems, I'm on the ball, and can fix them with out much trouble. Not so much today with a GCFI, even though I have read about how they operate and even have destroyed one to inspect!
I purchased GFNT2-3W GCFI from Amazon. (Leviton)
 I have 124V between the screw where the white wire goes and the screw where the black wire goes. I have the ground wire connected. I have no voltage on the outlets. The GFCI show no sign of being tripped. Resetting does nothing. I did a continuity test on the remaining two GCFIs I bought, I have no continuity between Hot and the outlet pin or Neutral and the outlet pin. The green screw and the outlet ground pin does have continuity. I'm not using it to power another outlet and I do have power to the proper screw terminals.
 Is it normal for un-powered GCFI to not have H and N continuity from the screws to the outlet pins? I don't have it, and wonder if there needs to be power to make continuity.

Mikek

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I installed a GCFI, it has no output.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »
So I’ve never taken multimeter to a gfci before.  Never had a need to. So I can’t answer your specific question. 

BUT I have had brand new, out of box, gfci outlets really mess up the electrical down the line.  The faulty gfci switched the hot and neutral going down to my other outlets, and I couldn’t get anything to work as wired.  Jumper wired the gfci to bypass it, and everything was fine.  So, bad gfci.  They will mess with your head.   Moral of the story.  Gfci’s can be bad and wreak havoc. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
Regular outlets don't care which side of it you power up.

GFCI outlets care.

Caused me a world of hurt until I figured that out.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 10:23:28 PM »
Regular outlets don't care which side of it you power up.

GFCI outlets care.

Caused me a world of hurt until I figured that out.

This.  Did you make sure to wire to the line side and not the load side?  Usually there is a piece of tape that has a warning written on to help steer you in the right direction, but not always. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
Yes, I had it wired correctly. This morning I did a more thorough reading of, Gasp! the instructions. The GFCIs are shipped in the tripped position, so must be reset before they will work. The problem is, the reset must be pushed deeper than I could do with my finger, I had to use a toothbruch handle. Once I reset it, it started working. I pushed the test button, it tripped and I reset it. All is working as it should now.
                                                      Thanks

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 12:48:55 PM »
It's always good when it's something simple!  I've noticed newer reset buttons need a lot more "push" than the older ones.