Author Topic: I have a big butt and I cannot lie....  (Read 9503 times)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
I have a big butt and I cannot lie....
« on: July 08, 2017, 09:12:29 AM »
....which makes it really hard to find pants that fit me, especially work pants. The cheap Levi's that Walmart sells (the curvy bootcut variety, size 10), actually fit, but I can't find any work appropriate pants. I wear jeans to work sometimes, but I just changed jobs and I think I need some more work appropriate attire. Problem is, I HATE shopping for clothes. I mean really hate it. I am late 40s, so I don't want to wear trendy stuff. Just comfortable, durable, reasonably priced stuff. My "style" (if I had to describe it) is probably sporty more than anything. For example, I love merino wool tops like Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker, etc. Just can't find the pants to go with it.

Is anybody else out there curvy, bootylicious, Rubenesque, slightly overweight? Where do you find pants that fit?

Poeirenta

• Bristles
Re: I have a big butt and I cannot lie....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
I've had luck with LL Bean, Columbia, and Travelsmith. Since we're pretty far from anything, I have to order online and I rely on the customer reviews.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »
Silvers. They're not cheap, but they work well for me. I will not buy cheap jeans, they seem to rip (thighs go out or the ass pocket junction goes). That being said my sister gave me the silvers... I think she got them at Maurice's and used coupons?

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
I am not really "curvy" but have very wide hips, and I wear Prana hiking pants to work all the time and no one notices.  Pricey, but they last forever, and you can find some good sales.  Probably wouldn't work for a very dressy office.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
My awesome fix is medical scrubs.

They fit, drawstring waist, comfy, cool, come in a wide range of colours/patterns/nonpatterns, there are a gazillion at thrift shops so super cheap, durable so they rarely need replacing, simple design, easy care, go with anything.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
I wondered about Prana but one issue I have is that stuff that fits my hips doesn't fit my waist (although as middle age comes upon me, my waist and hips seem to be closer together in size!). There are stores locally that carry that brand so maybe I can go try some on.

I WISH I could wear scrubs to work. That would solve all my wardrobe issues. I work on a college campus, so it's not super dressy (my one current pair of pants that fit is a pair of Columbia hiking pants), but I doubt I could get away with scrubs.

I will look into some of these other brands too. Thanks!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
You are underestimating how smooth/fancy/dressy some scrubs are :)
They look like regular dress pants, just are cheap and durable!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
You could try The Loft for dressier work pants. They have a curvier cut - the Julie cut -- which might suit your shape. If you are purchasing retail, know that items go on sale there quite often and you can sometimes get a discount on the sales price.

LadyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
I work on a college campus, too, and have a tough time finding pants that work (Sz 12/14, hourglass, petite). I generally buy pants at two places, Old Navy (the old Sweetheart fit for jeans/slacks, now Curvy fit for white, black, blue jeans) or Liz Claiborne pants (esp. Emma fit). LC Emma pants come in 8-12 colors per season, and JCP regularly has good sales. Between a sale and a $10 loyalty coupon, my last pair of LC Emma pants set me back about $10.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
+1 the Loft or Anne Taylor. It was the first time in my life I put on pants in a store and they just ... fit. Note that the dress slacks I bought for an interview did not end up being super durable. They pilled quite a bit on the side where my messenger bag sits.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
Learn to sew.  You'll get the style you want, at a good price, and it will fit you better than ready-made garments that are store-bought. 

Plus your clothing will be unique and fit your personal sense of style, so you'll stand out more (in a good way).
(Well, unless you have very bad taste... :) )

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
I have this problem and gave up and started wearing skirts and dresses. I wear leggings (either ankle length or knee length depending on the season) under them for maximum comfort and modesty reasons. Most of them are plain tank dresses or loose jersey cotton skirts. Some "athletic" style skirts (think longer tennis skirts). It's been an absolutely freeing transition. Even when I was 50 lbs lighter, I had issues finding pants that fit my body type. Giving up was the best choice.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
Try J.C.Penney's Worthington slacks in a curvy fit. Also Macy's INC line has a curvy fit. Take a look at L.L. Bean "Perfect Fit" pants--the black ones are a staple for me and one of my daughters.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »

Really? Hmmmm....I must look into this!

SwordGuy, I have thought of trying to sew my own. But that will take some time, and I kinda need some pants next week! I've also thought of paying someone to sew me some pants. I'd be willing to shell out for a durable pair that would fit and last a really long time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:43:28 PM by Duchess of Stratosphear »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »
I have normal curvy hips and wear Ann Taylor, their curviest fit. I have a friend with a truly extraordinary hip to waist ratio. About to only thing that truly looks good on her is buying something that fits the hips and then taking them to the tailor to be properly fitted. Yes, you will pay more money. Yes, you should do this with quality pants to begin with and not cheap ones. The upside though is you'll have something that also that also looks fantastic on you. I can't emphasize enough how much fit matters. A really well fitted whatever is going to look ten times better than something that isn't quite right. You will feel better and hold yourself with more confidence.

If you can really afford it, custom-made clothes are the way to go. Learning to sew yourself could work if you have the time. My husband has gotten dress shirts and suits made in Taiwan when he was there and while more expensive, it was money well spent. In regular dress shirts he looks a bit funny with a skinny torso and a big neck. In custom-made shirts he looks like a stud.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:33:11 PM by ysette9 »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
Can't offer much advice except to say that when you do finally find some that fit well and look great, buy 5!

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
+ 1 on Ann Taylor (Kate fit) and Loft (Julie fit) for curvy ladies.

I used to love Limited Lexi Fit pants too. Should have bought a dozen pair after they filed for chapter 11.  The ones I own are sadly becoming threadbare.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Should have bought a dozen pair after they filed for chapter 11.  The ones I own are sadly becoming threadbare.

Try eBay!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »
....which makes it really hard to find pants that fit me, especially work pants. The cheap Levi's that Walmart sells (the curvy bootcut variety, size 10), actually fit, but I can't find any work appropriate pants. I wear jeans to work sometimes, but I just changed jobs and I think I need some more work appropriate attire. Problem is, I HATE shopping for clothes. I mean really hate it. I am late 40s, so I don't want to wear trendy stuff. Just comfortable, durable, reasonably priced stuff. My "style" (if I had to describe it) is probably sporty more than anything. For example, I love merino wool tops like Smartwool, Ibex, Icebreaker, etc. Just can't find the pants to go with it.

Is anybody else out there curvy, bootylicious, Rubenesque, slightly overweight? Where do you find pants that fit?
I don't?  I mean, to be honest even when I was 125 pounds, anything that fit over the butt gapped at the waist.  Luckily, I am able to wear jeans.  I have had *some* luck with curvy styles at Sears, but I don't know the brand.

however, I did find some instructions on line on how to sew in "adjustable elastic waist with buttons", like on little boys pants.  Game changer.  I did that for some shorts.  It didn't even take that long.  So I bought the pants that fit over my hips, and sewed in elastic into the waistband and buttons.  I am also late 40's, so I feel you.

When I was a kid (20s) and had to "dress", I wore elastic waist, almost ankle length skirts.  They were only that long because I was short.  I also found a style in the Chadwick's of Boston catalog that fit (pants), and I bought 6 pair in different colors.  Of course, that was 20+ years ago.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
I second ( or third or fourth ) the Loft and Ann Taylor.  My preference for dressy work pants is Ann Taylor's curvy fit.  They seem well made.  I think I've had my pants from there for a little over a year. 

Banana Republic also has a curvy fit, though I think they are not making it any more.  I've mostly bought dress pants from a Banana Republic outlet, so that's an option if you are close to one.

White House Black Market has a curvy fit but I haven't tried it yet because of course they don't carry it in stores.  I did buy a pair of regular jeans there that had no waist grasp on me, which was amazing but expensive. 

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »

This is genius.  Scrubs pants, WOW, why have I never thought of this.  I need pants I can wear in the office, but also bike to work in.  I'm sooooooo excited about this, thanks Jooni.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
Oh, you're so welcome, Fire2025! I hope they're as great for you as they are for me! So many options in those...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »
I wear men's pleated Dockers and a belt. The durability, comfort, and pockets (!) make up for the waistband in my estimation. Also on a college campus.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
I'm googling scrubs and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable in those. Can somebody post some links of ones you like and think can pass for office wear? I'm really interested in this option.

luciep

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
I have a nice size butt as well and I used to wear REI hiking pants at work. They are very comfortable. You can adjust the waist band with some buttons (like in kids pants). Nobody can see your butt crack and you have plenty of pockets. I never had a complaint even though we were supposed to wear professional or kaki pants for work.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
Also looking at scrubs now . . . I think we could use some brand recommendations. Thank you!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »
Highly recommend Eileen Fisher pointe pants. A friend with a bigger booty borrowed mine and was amazed at how well they worked.

The initial price point can be high, but they wear like iron and look very professional. They run big too. Sales and eBay can work to source once you know your size.  Something like this: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Eileen-Fisher-CLSSC-VS-PONTE-SLIM-PANT/prod197671744/p.prod?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_campaign=EileenFisher

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »
Damn, now I'm also googling scrubs.

I don't have the same problem (I'm frustratingly skinny in the butt area) but I'll always take an opportunity to plug ThredUp which is my frugal haven for clothes.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
re: Scrubs, I didn't know brands -I literally walk into a thrift and choose nice ones from the abundance available- but I Googled 'nice scrubs' and this page came up: http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Best-Scrubs-/10000000206008747/g.html

Cherokee is a brand I've gotten.
The Med Couture seem even nicer.

Med Couture Women’s Signature Pant
People who have tried scrubs manufactured by Med Couture have continuously recommended them for their comfortable fit. Their women’s signature scrub pants are made of cotton, polyester and spandex and feature the company’s ‘Ez flex’ technology that makes these pants even more comfortable. Another nice feature is the cell phone holder as one of the pockets.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:33:26 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
but I'll always take an opportunity to plug ThredUp which is my frugal haven for clothes.

heck yeah. That is where I buy my clothes and my daughter's clothes now. I also just shipped off a big bag of stuff from cleaning out my closet after a recent move. It's exciting to think of maybe getting a little $ for the stuff I otherwise would have just donated to Goodwill. The only downside is that they don't carry men's stuff.

Speaking of which, if anyone has recommendations for a male version of ThredUp, I am all ears.