Author Topic: I give up lugging my kids around in a bike stroller (rant)  (Read 1699 times)

kevj1085

• Stubble
I give up lugging my kids around in a bike stroller (rant)
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
I mean seriously it's beyond a joke and is probably cutting years off my life due to stress. 1 year old and 3 year old, 1 year old cries over EVERYTHING, 3 year old lives purely to make mischief. The seatbelts in this bike stroller aren't the best, and within less than a mile I have to stop twice because she twists her body backwards and can't turn back around and screams bloody murder until I get her back around. My 3 year old sticks his hand out of the cut in the side window and just drags his hand against the wheel which makes my efforts twice as hard as they already are pulling 2 kids. When he isn't doing that he's messing w our 1 year old daughter until she cries. It literally is the worst experience ever and I can't effing get anywhere because of it. I'm wanting really badly to bike w them more but as it stands this just can't happen I don't believe. Every time I have tried taking them out it is an absolute nightmare. Fortunately we have a Prius too.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: I give up lugging my kids around in a bike stroller (rant)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
I was car-free for 17 adult years. Four years into parenting, I finally bought one. I have very, very, very few possessions (everything fits inside the compact car!), and man, do I love this thing. Plus the robbers stole our bikes, ha!

It's okay that the whole walk-and-bike-everywhere-with-kids is too much for some of us!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
Split them up; take only one with you at a time. This should be fun for all of you, & they have to want to go. If a child continues to make mischief, don't take him -- bad behavior must have consequences. In my opinion, ages 1 & 3 are too far apart developmentally to be cooperative.

Cover the opening with duct tape or something similar where your child sticks his hand out; this sounds dangerous as well as making unacceptable work for you. Fix the seatbelt so a child cannot twist around.

We started our kid out with a jog stroller to get exercise & fresh air; most of the time he fell asleep. When he was older, DH put a child seat on his bike for excursions. This may be easier for you than the bike cart.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
Split them up; take only one with you at a time. This should be fun for all of you, & they have to want to go. If a child continues to make mischief, don't take him -- bad behavior must have consequences. In my opinion, ages 1 & 3 are too far apart developmentally to be cooperative.

Cover the opening with duct tape or something similar where your child sticks his hand out; this sounds dangerous as well as making unacceptable work for you. Fix the seatbelt so a child cannot twist around.

We started our kid out with a jog stroller to get exercise & fresh air; most of the time he fell asleep. When he was older, DH put a child seat on his bike for excursions. This may be easier for you than the bike cart. 

Yes, or just stash the bike stroller away and try again when they are 3 and 5.  Big difference developmentally!