Author Topic: I feel retired and am bored  (Read 16303 times)

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I feel retired and am bored
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »
Due to being very lucky when it comes to my job I have a lot of spare time on my hands. Even after going to the gym most days anddoing my other hobby which is also my job, I have lots of free time everyday. I only need to go to the office two days a week and even than it is just for a few hours at a time. I have already got a side gusset that has doubled my income this year, and I just don't feel like starting a third income. Now I am starting to wonder if I actually want to get fire. What is the point if my lifestyle is already now like that? I can travel anytime I want to and spend lots of time with my SO. My friends all have to work much more than me so I am limited in the amount of time I can see them due to their time constraints. I guess my question is what do you guys do with all your spare time when FIRE?

MichaelR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: I feel retired and am bored
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:40 AM »
I would consider charity work if I was you. Huge satisfaction in making a contribution to the world. My job is in the health service so I am lucky enough to get that sort of satisfaction anyhow. But I am now looking to channel some of my excess earnings into life changing charities. My current favourites are Fred Hollows Foundation, Charity Water and Fistula foundation.

M

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:15:17 AM »
I have a very long list of stuff I want  to learn to do that will keep me occupied for quite a few years, hopefully creating a few lasting hobbies in the process (not really sure I'll take to woodturning for example but still want to learn how to do it). My list wouldn't be much help for you though, you need to spend a bit of time thinking about all those things you've always wanted to do and never had time for. If you have a local school or community college or something similar that offers evening classes, browsing through their catalogue might give you some ideas.

Don't forget that just because you reach FI, doesn't automatically mean an obligation to RE though.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:31:26 AM »
Oh, and if you haven't already, you should also read Tom Hodgkinson's How to be Idle and How to be Free books. :)

Edited to add: Just noticed that How to be Free was published under a different name in the US. And what a name! "The Freedom Manifesto: How to Free Yourself from Anxiety, Fear, Mortgages, Money, Guilt, Debt, Government, Boredom, Supermarkets, Bills, Melancholy, Pain, Depression, Work, and Waste"

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:55 AM »
I would consider charity work if I was you. Huge satisfaction in making a contribution to the world. My job is in the health service so I am lucky enough to get that sort of satisfaction anyhow. But I am now looking to channel some of my excess earnings into life changing charities. My current favourites are Fred Hollows Foundation, Charity Water and Fistula foundation.

M

Charity is an option for sure, I will have to see how that is possible where I live as most charities are Muslim faith based, not sure if they would accept me.

I have a very long list of stuff I want  to learn to do that will keep me occupied for quite a few years, hopefully creating a few lasting hobbies in the process (not really sure I'll take to woodturning for example but still want to learn how to do it). My list wouldn't be much help for you though, you need to spend a bit of time thinking about all those things you've always wanted to do and never had time for. If you have a local school or community college or something similar that offers evening classes, browsing through their catalogue might give you some ideas.

Don't forget that just because you reach FI, doesn't automatically mean an obligation to RE though.

I have been lucky in getting a great education both in school and outside due to my parents great support. Honestly there are not many things left that I want to learn, that does not cost more money than I am currently prepared to spend. Skydiving and horseriding to a higher level are on the list but very expensive. Only thing I can think of at the moment is hitting the gym hard everyday .

Oh, and if you haven't already, you should also read Tom Hodgkinson's How to be Idle and How to be Free books. :)

Edited to add: Just noticed that How to be Free was published under a different name in the US. And what a name! "The Freedom Manifesto: How to Free Yourself from Anxiety, Fear, Mortgages, Money, Guilt, Debt, Government, Boredom, Supermarkets, Bills, Melancholy, Pain, Depression, Work, and Waste"

I will check it out.

plank

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »
Can you travel?  What about something like going to Madrid for 3 months and learning the language?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:50:35 AM »
I agree that if you are not motivated by money any more, there is no point doing anything with a financial return.

A local environmental charity won't care about your religion.  There can be considerable satisfaction in something so basic as litter picking.

Do you like the way your local government is run?  If not, get involved (I nominated myself to my parish council as a protest against some of their decisions and surprisingly got elected: I now know a lot more about my community, have managed a few small improvements in the way things are done and have a wider circle of friends and acquaintances in my immediate locality).

There are probably some elderly people in your community who don't get out much, could be fascinating to talk to about their lives and how things have changed, and would welcome a friendly face dropping in now and then.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »
I forgot to say: how about getting a dog?  Companionship, walking, dog-training classes, agility/flyball competitions.  I waited most of a year after RE to get a dog, never felt it was fair to have one while working full-time, but it was a great decision to get him [insert paean here to "the best dog in all the world"].

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:10:04 AM »
... I guess my question is what do you guys do with all your spare time when FIRE?

After factoring out chores and obligations that are still there after FIRE, I have some 5 hours a day of spare time, plus my evenings after 7pm.  There is PLENTY of activities I enjoy to do.  I hike twice a week.  I work on my own blog twice a week.  I work on articles for my blog every day.  I audit a video lecture every day during lunch.  I read history.  I watch DVD movies.  I play pc strategy games.  I carpenter.  I take drives in the country.  I photograph.  (Well, that's probably enough of a list of daily things; I'll skip the trips I take.)

But don't think your question is a weird one.  You are not alone feeling as you do.  That is why I just finished the first draft of an article for my blog entitled "Is There Life After Retirement?"   (The answer is yes.)

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »
You mentioned going to the gym. How about training for something? You could train for a marathon, a triathlon, a century bike ride, or any number of other events. You might have to invest a small amount of money in gear, but you don't need anything fancy to do most of these events. You could even sign up for one that is associated with a cause and raise money for the cause, too.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »
We went through something like this a while ago and dealt with it by planning our next vacation to involve what is for us a fairly strenuous hike.  We made/and paid for reservations almost a year ago and since then every weekend has involved getting out and training for the activity.  Knowing that we have a paid slot waiting for us on a certain date has provided lots of motivation for us to make sure we get our weekend hiking in which has led to our exploring several different places within camping distance of where we live.

We have found this approach to be so successful for us that we are already planning to start training for the next vacation after we come back from this one in two weeks.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »
Any interest in rental property? 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:36 PM »
Maybe you're just not emotionally ready for FIRE. I guess it's not for everyone.

Trust me, when you're ready you will know it. The alarm clock becomes a big noose around your neck in the morning.

I probably wouldn't have been emotionally ready for FIRE 5-10 years ago. But it can't hurt to get yourself financially ready for it, before that alarm clock really gets to you.

It does sound like you have a good setup going. Enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:45:54 PM by Daisy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Somewhere along the way, I heard the phrase "If you're bored, you're boring." It has always resonated with me. If you are vibrant and active, you will naturally draw people toward you and you'll never be bored. Not sure what to do to make yourself and your life more interesting? Start by volunteering in your community. Start with something easy that you really enjoy. Keep your eyes and ears open and it will mushroom from there. Eventually you will find yourself saying "I'm so busy, I don't know how I had time to work!". This, IMHO, is what every retiree should seek. Not so busy that you have no time to breathe, but enough to feel vital and needed in your own little (or big) world. Pure, sweet nectar.

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
Can you travel?  What about something like going to Madrid for 3 months and learning the language?

I travel a lot, but could not stay away for that long without checking in on things, also my so would not be too happy, we used to do the whole not seeing each other for months thing and I am not doing it again if I can help it. This year I have been to Malta, Germany, England, Scotland, Austria, Kazakhstan, Thailand and will go to south Africa to see my SO family.

I just get bored very quickly, but I think I should learn a new language, Arabic is the most obvious since I am based in the uae.

I think I have to clarify, I am based in the uae, so no chance of anything political. I have no desire to get into trouble.

The uae is a remarkably clean country, since the government employs a lot of litter pickers.

And no old people here who do not have their family take care of them, plus most don't speak English. I think learning Arabic is the way forward. But I can only do that so much.

If I was in germany politics would take up a lot of my time, as my family is the most politically active family i know.

A dog has been considered but I think it is cruel to keep them in this heat for most of the year. That will have to wait until I am fire. I could get a camel. ;)

There is a few marathones here, I think most related to a charity, so i could look into that. I train for getting the body I always wanted so I suppose that is a goal.

Somewhere along the way, I heard the phrase "If you're bored, you're boring." It has always resonated with me. If you are vibrant and active, you will naturally draw people toward you and you'll never be bored. Not sure what to do to make yourself and your life more interesting? Start by volunteering in your community. Start with something easy that you really enjoy. Keep your eyes and ears open and it will mushroom from there. Eventually you will find yourself saying "I'm so busy, I don't know how I had time to work!". This, IMHO, is what every retiree should seek. Not so busy that you have no time to breathe, but enough to feel vital and needed in your own little (or big) world. Pure, sweet nectar.

I think you will find me anything but uninteresting, I train birds of prey for a living and manage a conservation project with a 2100000 hectar wildlife reserve in another country. Just turns out both things only take up about 2 hours of my day, due to a lot of efficiency. The wonders of the Internet. Everything is just soon much easier with an Internet connection. I don't have to leave the house for anything apart from food if I really wanted to. I went to the office today just for the heck of it. I did car pole with our cfo though. So no miles on the car.

I will get a few new falcons next week so that should give me an extra 2 hours of entertainment a day. Until they can do it all on their own.

Someone mentioned chores around the house. I keep my life so simple when it comes to accommodation that it really would be a bit stupid to spend more than an hour a week cleaning.  A garden would be nice I suppose, but that is more money spend than I would gain from it.

Rental properties are no option as the uae market is a massive buble waiting to bust again. But I might have the option to build a small house on a desert farm in a few month, so that could be a project. Might do all the interior myself. That shower mmm build in Hawaii looks like fun. Plus I always wanted to get better at wiring.

I already read way too much, online as well as offline. Thought I would get into cleaning cars, aka detailing. In the process I met a guy who owns the countries best place for that. Now I don't even have to wash my car anymore as he does it for free and much quicker.

Maybe you're just not emotionally ready for FIRE. I guess it's not for everyone.

Trust me, when you're ready you will know it. The alarm clock becomes a big noose around your neck in the morning.

I probably wouldn't have been emotionally ready for FIRE 5-10 years ago. But it can't hurt to get yourself financially ready for it, before that alarm clock really gets to you.

It does sound like you have a good setup going. Enjoy it.

That might be well it. Not that an alarm is my problem, I never set one anyway. But not being emotionally ready. I need to think about that.

Thanks for all the great replies

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
It took me several years to not feel bored.  I've made friends with people who are retired or work very little like me.  I've started my own book club at the library with those retired friends.  I've joined several activities that I enjoy that are low cost.  It takes WORK to find what I like and who I like to do it with in my area.  I'm really looking forward to September when all my activities start up again for the year (most take summers off). 

Be active in trying to stay active.  If you do, you'll be rewarded! 

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
It took me several years to not feel bored.  I've made friends with people who are retired or work very little like me.  I've started my own book club at the library with those retired friends.  I've joined several activities that I enjoy that are low cost.  It takes WORK to find what I like and who I like to do it with in my area.  I'm really looking forward to September when all my activities start up again for the year (most take summers off). 

Be active in trying to stay active.  If you do, you'll be rewarded!

Sounds like good advice, now where do I find all the early retired 20 somethings? A quest in itself.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
What a great thread! Thanks, all.

Falconer, I really relate to a lot of what you're saying. After we've worked very effectively to simplify our work, home, processes, etc, we certainly have a lot of freedom. Sometimes I totally get why some people maintain a fair amount of unnecessary chaos in their lives; freedom is not actually easy/comfortable to navigate initially.

I have a very small apartment, almost no furniture, few bills (and those are on auto-payment), check in with work from my bedroom, etc. Like you, I simultaneously have a couple of elements that keep me just shy of totally free (in my case, solo-parenting a child with disabilities). Due to those circumstances, I can't commit to more (because sometimes my child's needs increase), yet frequently have time to fill. So, I am always looking for the Very Specific Things I can do to occupy myself without taking on more than actually fits. Right now, that's a writing project, meditation, 12 Step recovery work, therapy, some online volunteer work supporting other families, and, as of yesterday, hot yoga. In the fall I hope to add delivering meals to, and playing board games with, people who are housebound.

Moonwaves: That author and collection look great! (He has one on parenting, too, apparently.) Now ordered.

former player: Just in the last few weeks I have become very keen to get a dog. Lots to consider (I rent in a region in which landlords can easily favour pet-free applicants), but really looking forward to that happening one day. In the meantime, I have a photo of my future dog on my wall :)

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
Can I change the diagnosis?  This is not "I feel retired and am bored", it is "I am working in a foreign country and am bored".   I don't think you have any need to worry about your future retirement, as long as it will be to a country outside the middle east.  The problem is just how to bring your retirement forward to the earliest reasonable date, and to get there in a positive frame of mind.  It sounds as though you have a reasonable way forward: a mixture of fitness, falcons, Arabic, your SO and travel.  Good luck

Scrubbyfish: getting a dog for the first time was a revelation.  They seem to have a sort of emotional force-field around them which is balm for the human soul.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
Hi Falconer:

Learning Arabic would be a great idea.  You are definitely in the right place.  When I lived in Mexico, I found that life opened up a bit when I got so that I could read Spanish well enough to buy books locally.  Obviously Arabic will be much more challenging having an entirely different script. 

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »
Can I change the diagnosis?  This is not "I feel retired and am bored", it is "I am working in a foreign country and am bored".   I don't think you have any need to worry about your future retirement, as long as it will be to a country outside the middle east.  The problem is just how to bring your retirement forward to the earliest reasonable date, and to get there in a positive frame of mind.  It sounds as though you have a reasonable way forward: a mixture of fitness, falcons, Arabic, your SO and travel.  Good luck

Scrubbyfish: getting a dog for the first time was a revelation.  They seem to have a sort of emotional force-field around them which is balm for the human soul.

I think you have a point. Dubai is great but there are not many frugal activeties to be done as it is so hot outside. In germany or the UK I would just go for a walk every time I feel bored.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
Wow, Falconer, I am impressed! You are most definitely not uninteresting. I had no idea where you were located. I can see that you have challenges which are unique to your specific geography. I second learning Arabic. What about learning to play an instrument? Perhaps something small-ish and fairly portable like the flute or oboe?

Your situation reminds me of this quote, which may or may not be by Mark Twain. "Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away." Perhaps if you ignore it, your boredom will lift of its own accord. I hope so.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 12:18:01 AM »
A few months ago, I checked into the luggage regulations for Etihad (or Emirates) and was stunned to see falcons were allowed as - well, basically, carry-ons, for some flights. What an amazing job you have!

But, yeah, the UAE. The physical environment limits many things, the political & social limit others. Building that house sounds like an excellent idea. Also, learning the local language connects you to an 'alien' culture [here in Beijing we have The Alien Market, a.k.a. the Russian part of town] in the best way, and can open up other countries to you in the future, whether for work or travel.

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 02:50:17 AM »
A few months ago, I checked into the luggage regulations for Etihad (or Emirates) and was stunned to see falcons were allowed as - well, basically, carry-ons, for some flights. What an amazing job you have!

But, yeah, the UAE. The physical environment limits many things, the political & social limit others. Building that house sounds like an excellent idea. Also, learning the local language connects you to an 'alien' culture [here in Beijing we have The Alien Market, a.k.a. the Russian part of town] in the best way, and can open up other countries to you in the future, whether for work or travel.

Done the whole taking a bird on a plane thing a few times. Pretty fun.

Everything is indicating towards learning a new language.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
Don't know if you're interested in starting a website with tips on living in your area for new transplants. That might take up some of your time, especially if you take pictures.

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:20 AM »
Don't know if you're interested in starting a website with tips on living in your area for new transplants. That might take up some of your time, especially if you take pictures.

Nice suggestion, but the Internet is full of them since there are that many expats in the uae.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 07:32:21 AM »
As engineers we are always looking to tinker or build something so I doubt we could ever be bored.   Money is the only thing that limits our imagination.  One project I would like to do if I ever get a significant overage on our nest egg is construct a hydraulic hexapod out of six excavator arms with thumbs.  It would have a little cage for me to ride in and would plod along at a slow gate, pulling trees out of the ground when they got in my way.   I could build it for about $300,000.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
Get the F out of the UAE. It sounds like your problem is that you live in a really, really boring place.

-W

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
Hi Again Falconer:

Learning Arabic might be good for another reason.  If I understand correctly, and I might not since all my info is second hand from reading, Arabic is regarded as essential for reading the Koran.  If this is so, that means that Arabic might be very useful any place where the population is predominately Muslim. 

In general a second language can be handy in all sorts of unexpected places.  I once found myself speaking Spanish with a Taiwanese guy and a shirt tail relative told me that his Hindi was very useful in Italy where he learned all kinds of interesting thing from immigrant street vendors.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »

Nice suggestion, but the Internet is full of them since there are that many expats in the uae.

Then start a website about what you're actually interested in. I don't know what that might be; you'll have to figure it out, but teaching people what you know or taking them on a journey to what you'd like to know is an excellent way to kill time while helping people. You already have the ability to tell interesting stories. Go for it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
Get you some girl friends

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »
I am FI, I am happy to be back in the US for my own reasons, but lack of choice (even frugal choices) is not the problem there.  Hello, seven Emirates within reasonable driving distances, scuba, slave labor...  Maybe you are not actually FI?

Can I just check before sounding off all over your ass?  You are actually proposing the availability of slave labour as a benefit of living in the UAE?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:34 AM »
Whoa there, that was certainly not where I was going with that, in fact the labor conditions were the single biggest reason I'm glad to be back in the US.  I have a lot to say, but let me start with, if you are a FI, then you can actually take up a cause like ending modern day slavery.  It's phenomenal how much a single person can help.

But I did sort of ramble into that, going from local travel (something we enjoy a lot everywhere we have lived), to scuba (something I want to get into heavily when I retire), to trying to solve a major social issue (something that I want to dedicate the rest of my life toward)...  I just can't imagine being 'bored'.

...I do wonder, when someone says they are "FI", do they mean 'I'm living below modest means and feel like I can't do anything so as not to break my budget', or are they of reasonable means with a world of possibilities open to them? 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:17:13 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 06:38:32 AM »
Dubai is a gorgeous city.  I'm into photography and would love the chance to do some in the UAE.  Pick up an inexpensive DSLR and get shooting!  An expat photography club might be fun as well.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
I agree that your issue seems to be more about your current location as opposed to you being a boring person.  Having spent time in China, I can understand how difficult it is to adjust to a different culture, especially about money/spending and DIY.

Here are some thing I thought about:
Photography.  UAE and the Middle East are amazing places that unfortunately, people can't travel to very easily.  I would love to see more photographs of locat life as opposed to buildings and palm-shaped islands.
Writting. I have no idea what life is like for expats or for residents of the UAE.
Couchsurfing Host.  This one may be more difficult, but you might meet a lot of people and get to show them around.
Inernational school volunteer.  There has to be a school for the children of expats.  Kids love animals.  Could you do a presentation?  Start an after-school animal club?
Animal or ecological charity.  Could you start a charity or organization to help some environmental issues around you?  Save the rare UAE urban indoor ski-slope pigeon!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
Children will bring your feeling of ennui to a short sharp end.  Other than that, I would start a business of some sort or get involved in a project that has social benefit.

Languages, meh, I've learned three other languages (albeit imperfectly) and never found them particularly helpful except in smaller villages overseas, which I no longer frequent and have no plans to either.   English is the best travel language there is.

I would not put my time into learning a second language unless I planned to remain in a country for a long period of time and it would significantly increase quality of life.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!