Author Topic: I feel like I'm finally ready... do I resign, or ask for a career break?  (Read 3857 times)

blizeH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi,

I'm lucky enough to have finally hit that magic number where I don't have to work any more but want to make sure I go about this in the right way - hopefully in a way which leaves some options open and doesn't actually inconvenience people too much. My job is great in a lot of ways - very short commute, good social/sports etc outside of work, the people are nice, my boss is supportive etc but due to a number of reasons (mostly me lacking motivation and confidence - both of which get worse every day) I feel like everyone would be better off if I wasn't there any more.

A little part of me is tempted just to keep on going to see if I can turn it around but realistically I don't think that will happen, and it also runs the risk of me just annoying the people at work and potentially not getting a good reference just in case I do want to go back at any point.

A career break would probably be ideal - I can effectively take maybe a year's unpaid leave and they would hire in a temporary contractor to take my place during that period but I'm worried that'd be messing them around when they've been so good to me, and realistically they will likely say no anyway.

So... simply handing in my notice seems to be the best option, but of course it is very final. Like I said, with my motivation and confidence at an all time low (I'm really struggling right now) I am wondering if this is the best option. I'm also really looking forward to spending some time not at work :)

Any thoughts please? Thank you :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:36:49 PM by blizeH »

Future Lazy

• Bristles
Re: I feel like I'm finally ready... do I resign, or ask for a career break?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »
Are you burnt out on your job and could use some time to yourself, or really just completely over the work all together and don't want to go back?

If burnt out, ask for a leave. Explain your despondence. Return energized and ready to go do what you love to do, maybe with a little less intensity (to avoid future burn out).

If totally uninterested in the work anymore, then hand in your two weeks. Find something else you love to do instead.

Third idea: If you don't want to quit working at all, except for the burnt out don't wanna even go to work anymore feelings, is it possible they could hire you an apprentice of sorts? Maybe teaching someone else to do your job would help rejuvenate you and your relationship with the job. Then, if you still wanted to go, they would have a replacement.

Main concern: You mentioned that the social aspect of the workplace is good. Would leaving the job also deprive you of social life?

Just thoughts!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
It sounds like you are burnt out and thankfully you are now FI.
My advice is to talk to your boss and ask if you can take and unpaid leave of absence, indefinitely.  Since you can walk away from this job completely (yay FI!) you hold all the cards.  They may be willing to be very flexible for you, allowing you to 'wind-down' your job as they train someone to take over your position, or keep you on board as a consultant a few days a month.  Both could be useful as your transition to FIRE.

Even if they say "no" you gave them the opportunity, and that should make sure you haven't burned any bridges because htey had the chance to retain you but didn't. 

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
How about trying a partial retirement. Ask if they will slowly ease you out. You could work 3 days a week for a couple months during the transmission.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
I'd take the 1 year unpaid leave - and that's what I actually did when I retired. The temporary person they hired worked out, and they offered them my position full time. You can always give them a couple of month's notice at the end, so that they don't get rid of the temp, and to give them a chance to have you back for a few weeks if they need to. As a manager, many people who wanted a year off didn't come back, so we always expected that might happen (I guess it was about half and half).

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »
There's been lots of discussion about what/why you are leaving, but nothing about what you are moving on to.

Before you decide to pull the pin (if that's what you decide to do) I suggest that you have a plan for how you are going to fill your days. You need to find some things that will keep you active and involved, not just vegging on the couch.

Al