Author Topic: I don't want to go to WDW ! (but actualy did and survived)  (Read 13192 times)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
I don't want to go to WDW ! (but actualy did and survived)
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »
MIL is widowed since February. Decent financial situation (no debt, house paid off, car brand new and paid in full, retired with good pension plan, great cook and housekeeper, low spending habits except for her clothes and some occasional/trivial items.

For us, we live a damned happy Mustachian life for a while now, spend a lot of time together, we do lot of sports, outdoor activities, biking, chilling, reading, cooking, minimal TV habits. Everyone is fit and healthy, guys are good at school, DW doesn’t work anymore on Mondays. Low mortgage and no other debt, retirements accounts are maxed out and FI is scheduled for 2019. I cannot ask for more!

MIL lives far away from us, want to treat her daughter & the kids (7 & 11 years old boys). Her bank account never been so full (FIL was big spender, now insurances and pension plan changed the picture). Now she "feels" rich and is probably ashamed to have so much sitting still. Last week, she tells my wife she wants to bring everyone to WDW next year.

Dude, I would have preferred to get hit by a shovel in the side of my head. I did a quintuple facepalm in my head when I learned about this. Then, I finally took a deep breath and think, ok, I got at least 6 month to get out of this mess.

Wife is juuuuuust borderline with Mustachianism. Raised in a low middle-class income with high middle-class spending behaviors. She follow the plan but she's not a black belt, YKWIM ? So she say -"My mom is gonna pay for the kids, we just pay for ourselves, what's your fucking problem?" I mean, even if MIL would pay for everyone and gives us 10k$ on top of that for our discretionary expenses, I DONT WANT TO GO TO WDW. I DONT WANT MY KIDS TO GO TO THIS FUCKING TOURIST TRAP! Why? I don’t see any reason to go there. And what if this trip settles some of the best memories for the kids? Not a good one? Ok, let say because daddy will not be happy out there? And what if this "fake" fun may crystalize in their mind and rise (fuck) the expectation for a good time in their future self’s life?

I usually run my math MMM style. Trip may cost many thousands over the next decades in the pursuit of an inflated lifestyle. Congratulation, good job, thank you!

Maybe I am wrong. I keep telling myself I may be wrong and think « aim for the higher goal, don’t mess everything for being so selfish, you are on the good path anyway, stay calm and think about peoples around you, they are human with sentiments…they are your loved ones”
Advices?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:10:23 AM by Le Barbu »

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I don't want to go to WDW !
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »
I don't want to either, though I do in fact know normal, sane adults who have gone and taken their children and had fun.  My understanding is that aspects of the place are quite clever and of course it almost has to be interesting from a sort of sociological/anthropological perspective, no?

But if one of my kid's grandparents wanted to take the family as a treat I would absolutely go, and be gracious about it even if I didn't in fact have fun (similarly, though on a much smaller scale, we accept invitations from his friends to birthday parties at bounce houses.  Do I like bounce houses?  No.  Do I like having to drive 40 miles r/t to get to them?  No.  Do I embrace DS's enthusiasm for celebrating his friend's birthdays and acknowledge that their parents have the right to figure out how they want to do that?  Yes.). 

So, no, it wouldn't be my choice, either, but I'd embrace it, and be grateful my kid's grandparents wanted to be part of their lives and to give them a special treat, even if that treat wouldn't be my choice of treat.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
I guess WDW = Walt Disney World?

Yeah, someone would have to hold a gun to my head to get me there.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
Stay home.  Send the kids.  Make it a grandparents trip.  Use the time to take the wife somewhere nice.  I had a grandparents trip right before kindergarten.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
Ha ha, I have no idea what WDW is but I feel your pain.

Yes, you should be sensitive to the fact that your family are human beings with sentiments. Don't make them feel stupid for liking this idea. But you're allowed to be concerned with acting in a way that aligns with your values.

I wouldn't be worried about the dollar value of a one-time expense. And I wouldn't be worried that this one thing is going to destroy your children's brains. In fact, my observation has been that early experiences with consumerism aren't a predictor of later attitudes (like, some kids become obsessed with consumerism because it's forbidden fruit).

If it really bothers you, maybe frame it in terms of concern for your mom. That's what stands out to me is that she is finally in an economically stable position after a long time and now she wants to blow through some of it. Worrisome. You could say that the best gift she can give you is taking care of herself and her own future. Or maybe she can put money in college savings accounts for them.

Or if you would love a family vacation--and that is probably the most important aspect here--simply propose some different destination she can treat you to. You can even share that you rather the boys get a more character-building experience like camping or cultural trips or something and that way you get more family togetherness time and grandma can still indulge them with a couple special activities.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »
Will MIL be coming on this trip?

Trip costs really need more definition: First it's a treat for the daughter & grandkids, then later it appears she's only paying for the kids. Big difference. Hotels, food, & transportation are major costs.

If the purpose is to get the family together, there are a lot of destination choices besides WDW.

We did WDW as a family one time when DS was 6. We went in January to avoid the crowds, had a very memorable time, & never felt the need to go again. However, DS loved the safari & pursued a number of interests as a result of the trip. We always avoid the souvenir shops.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
Well, you don't HAVE to go.  You can send the kids.  My SIL goes to WDW every couple of years with the kids.  My brother doesn't go.

That said, I took my kids to Disneyland this year for the first time, as a birthday gift to the 8 year old.  They LOVED it.  It was very well done, highly entertaining, and I now understand why it costs so much (very clean, tons of entertainment).  I really thought it was an overpriced tourist trap before I went.

The 2 year old just loved this little Island where he would wander in the woods and in the caves.

It doesn't HAVE to be this thing that increases your costs for years to come.  My husband went to WDW once - his grandparents took every grandchild once (from NY to FL).  He was around your kids' ages.  He had fun, but never went again, and was happy with their summers of hiking, swimming in the lake, etc.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
I don't want to go to WDW !
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
As bogart said, there are parts of the park that are quite clever. I like the topiaries. Some of the landscaping ideas are first rate. We have 5 grandkids, and live near there, so we will be going with them. I think a place like Walt Disney World gives you the opportunity to teach your values in a unique way. For example,  Disney pins are very big at WDW.  There are colorful enamel pins for sale in the shops for $8 each. Lanyards to hold the pins go for $10. I bought a bag of Disney pins on Ebay for 40 cents each including shipping. (I did enough research to verify that they were Disney.) I bought colorful lanyards for 50 cents each. I plan to give each of the grandkids a lanyard with pins. While there, I will teach them how to trade pins to get the ones they want rather than buying them. I think this is a useful life skill and will add to their fun. If you go, be sure to pack sandwich materials, like peanut butter. Food is very expensive there. $4 for an ice cream sandwich shaped like Mickey's head, anyone? Anyway, if you go, relax and have fun.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »
Stay home.  Send the kids.  Make it a grandparents trip.  Use the time to take the wife somewhere nice.  I had a grandparents trip right before kindergarten.

Hu, MIL is 65 years old, WIDOWED, never crossed the US border, doesn't speek an effing word in english, so, I don't think it's good idea to put them in an airplane and let them go 2,000miles from home for a 1 week trip to Orlando. Nice try !

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 11:50:47 AM »
Will MIL be coming on this trip?

Trip costs really need more definition: First it's a treat for the daughter & grandkids, then later it appears she's only paying for the kids. Big difference. Hotels, food, & transportation are major costs.

If the purpose is to get the family together, there are a lot of destination choices besides WDW.

We did WDW as a family one time when DS was 6. We went in January to avoid the crowds, had a very memorable time, & never felt the need to go again. However, DS loved the safari & pursued a number of interests as a result of the trip. We always avoid the souvenir shops.

About the cost/gift definition, kids expences are covered. But as a rule of thumb, most of the time kids cost are usualy 30% of the total cost. Whatever the way I want to sum all of this, it's still at least MANY THOUSANDS to go somewhere I don't want to go. Then, spend the week saying NO to buy that 30$ shitty picture of us doing a ride and NO to that 25$ Mickey foamface or NO to that 8$/1 pound hardcandy and what else?

I think there is absolutely a lot of othe places to go together for a trip. But no one asked me, I'm just the asshole that does'nt want to jump in the bandwagon. Maybe I would go to Virginia Philadephia for historic purpose and Pittsburgh because my sons favourite hockey team is the Penguins.

I may see it in a very different way if we were 2 hours driving for WDW. Spend 1-2 days, few hundreds, done!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
Pittsburgh because my sons favourite hockey team is the Penguins.

Yes--go see Sir Sidney!!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
Ha ha, I have no idea what WDW is but I feel your pain.

Yes, you should be sensitive to the fact that your family are human beings with sentiments. Don't make them feel stupid for liking this idea. But you're allowed to be concerned with acting in a way that aligns with your values.

I wouldn't be worried about the dollar value of a one-time expense. And I wouldn't be worried that this one thing is going to destroy your children's brains. In fact, my observation has been that early experiences with consumerism aren't a predictor of later attitudes (like, some kids become obsessed with consumerism because it's forbidden fruit).

If it really bothers you, maybe frame it in terms of concern for your mom. That's what stands out to me is that she is finally in an economically stable position after a long time and now she wants to blow through some of it. Worrisome. You could say that the best gift she can give you is taking care of herself and her own future. Or maybe she can put money in college savings accounts for them.

Or if you would love a family vacation--and that is probably the most important aspect here--simply propose some different destination she can treat you to. You can even share that you rather the boys get a more character-building experience like camping or cultural trips or something and that way you get more family togetherness time and grandma can still indulge them with a couple special activities.

I agree, I exagerated that "brain destruction" notion on purpose. I know my kids and I am confident for their future. But, kids are...kids and it makes me sad just thinking I will spend an entire weak saying NO all the time.

Couple months ago, we talked to go to OOB together with MIL, BIL & SIL and their 3 kids. It's 5 hours drive from home, you do it on your schedual, spend 3-5 days, et voilà ! The beach is nice, ride-parks, water parks, nice camping. It seems this plan not worth anymore...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
Pittsburgh because my sons favourite hockey team is the Penguins.

Yes--go see Sir Sidney!!

We use to go see Sid the Kid when he was playing junior in Québec. He's my sons favourite and they both play hockey since they are 5 years old. My oldest (11) is even in a special school program and play hockey 3 afternoon/week (monday, tuesday and thursday) + another sport on friday afternoon. What a dream !

I mean, we pay for that special program (1,600$/year), pay for regular hockey league (2x500$) pay for hockey goods, wife drive a 2010 Forester for her 5 miles comute, we have a pool, a spa, nice house with big deck so we enjoy our place. And yet, sometime things happens to make me feel like  I dont want to indulge...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »
I'm back from a walk, thank you for your quick answers

Many good toughts like I expected from Mustachians !

When I was walking I thought that whats bothering me the most is the "gift" idea. It's a tricky concept. Not as clean as the definition you'll find in a dictionary or wikipedia, the dirty one, the one you really feel in real life. Gifts are for me at least, most of the time, some kind of tie. Some kind of commitment, something you don't really do what you want with.

Here's an exemple. My mom bought a HIGH end keyboard 3 years ago. It sits in my living room since then and no one in the house touch it. My mom told me upfront "-You better do not sell this like you use to do with things you do not use/want anymore". Because it's huge, you cannot miss and I know she watch to be sure it is in place every time she visits.

The same with the WDW gift. It's gonna use 1 week of MY life, thousands from MY account and put me in incomfortable situations with MY kids. Not that I "own" them. More like she visits 4x/year and I live with them every single day of every single year since they are born.

Sigh...

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 12:37:57 PM »
We've been to WDW, so I certainly don't agree with the not-even-with-a-gun-to-the-head philosophy.  Yes, it's a place that's designed to separate you from your money, but one trip isn't going to alter the consumer behavior you've engrained in your kids.

However, since you're so against it, I'd suggest to your MIL that this is the kind of vacation that doesn't allow for lots of family interaction.  You'll be hot and tired and waiting in line much of the time.  I'd suggest that if she absolutely wants to pay for a nice vacation, you'd prefer one that would allow for lots of family time and plenty of family activites.  I'd suggest either a cruise or the rental of a beach house. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
We've been to WDW, so I certainly don't agree with the not-even-with-a-gun-to-the-head philosophy.  Yes, it's a place that's designed to separate you from your money, but one trip isn't going to alter the consumer behavior you've engrained in your kids.

However, since you're so against it, I'd suggest to your MIL that this is the kind of vacation that doesn't allow for lots of family interaction.  You'll be hot and tired and waiting in line much of the time.  I'd suggest that if she absolutely wants to pay for a nice vacation, you'd prefer one that would allow for lots of family time and plenty of family activites. I'd suggest either a cruise or the rental of a beach house.
You could try a disney cruise, if she so want disney.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
As far as the Disney memorabilia - the clothes and toys do turn up in in thrift shops. I have a very nice Mickey and Minnie denim shirt in perfect condition I paid $5 for. I don't think it was ever worn. You can also buy (gasp) new Disney shirts at Wal-Mart for $5-$10. I would buy these and pack them for the trip, then bring them out when you get there. If you have a daughter going through a princess phase and you can sew- I have seen handmade princess outfits that beat the heck out of the store bought ones. Or you can just buy inexpensive tiaras. I am a feminist myself, but I still love me some tiara action. Can't help it. The key is to get the stuff OUTSIDE the park.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:11 PM »
A couple of years ago, my husband and I were invited on a trip to WDW. Our friends had planned to go with each of their parents, but one set of grandparents backed out at the last minute. So they convinced us that it would be fun and cheap, since everything was already paid for! All we had to do was get ourselves there. Yay!

Nothing there is cheap. We were totally unprepared and started making food-hacking plans while there, because food costs were obscene in the park. Of course, this made us the spoil sports of the trip.

Fun was debatable. There are an amazing number of sick children at Walt Disney World. I guess people book these vacations and decide that they must drag their kids around the park NO MATTER WHAT. As a result, you get to witness an awful lot of crying, hacking, wheezing, sneezing, vomiting. You will, without a doubt, be exposed to many virulent diseases while there.

It is not the happiest place on Earth. There are a lot of extremely grumpy employees and guests. It gets worse if the weather gets bad or if a line gets long. Some of those people will knife you if you get in their way.

In the end, we ended up paying more for this "free" vacation than we normally would on a vacation of our choice. That's not even counting the cost to our souls.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »

Dude, I would have preferred to get hit by a shovel in the side of my head. I did a quintuple facepalm in my head when I learned about this. Then, I finally took a deep breath and think, ok, I got at least 6 month to get out of this mess.

You have my deepest, deepest sympathies, my good man.  Sincerely.

We (as kids) campaigned the folks for years for WDW.  When they finally took us, we spent two days there and then a few more travelling around Florida.  My mom was plenty pissed that we enjoyed St. Augustine way, way more than WDW.  Hell, St. Augustine had a REAL fort.  There had been REAL pirates there.  Maybe even Blackbeard!  The Fountain of Youth was there.  We went bonkers for it.  Our imaginations lit up far brighter in that little town than it did with a giant mouse at the Magical Kingdom. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »

However, since you're so against it, I'd suggest to your MIL that this is the kind of vacation that doesn't allow for lots of family interaction.  You'll be hot and tired and waiting in line much of the time.  I'd suggest that if she absolutely wants to pay for a nice vacation, you'd prefer one that would allow for lots of family time and plenty of family activites.  I'd suggest either a cruise or the rental of a beach house.

A politicaly correct way to turn the tide in my favor.

In a previous reply, I said we ALREADY talked about OOB. A pretty good compromize to me. We've been there once and find it's a perfect mix (sea, beach, smells, noises, price/fun ratio). We spend so much time playing in the waves every day, we have to stop because our swimsuits hich our skin (salted water+sand+runnig=ouch). We eat seafood and steaks on charcoal grill every evening, outdoor movie nights, cheap gas, cheap wine, cheap beer, US is cheap, Maine is dirt cheap. I remember telling wife -"wtf, 12$ for a bottle, hope this is a Grand Cru (kidding)" she said "-no, it's 12$ because it's a 1.5 liter bottle!". We laught, that wine is 14$/750ml in Québec.

I'll try to bring this OOB vacatin back on topic...

Stellar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
Sheesh.  Some of you folks are real drama queens :)  I mean that in the nicest way possible.

MrsPete and bogart have the best responses if you can settle down from the panic attack for a bit ("And what if this "fake" fun may crystalize in their mind and rise (fuck) the expectation for a good time in their future self’s life?" -- SERIOUSLY!?)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »
Some of those people will knife you if you get in their way.

Your kidding ? Everybody know that peoples use to carry a "gun" in the US, not a knife.

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
How about, "that's très généreux of you, MIL, but it's completely out of line with our budget."   ?? 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
How about, "that's très généreux of you, MIL, but it's completely out of line with our budget."   ??

Yeah, I can tell her we planned to put asside 40k in 2015 so, nothing left for frivolities !

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
It's your life, Dude.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
It's your life, Dude.

I know, but IF I cannot convince them to change their plan, I will end with 2 choices: join and try my best to survive or stay home and then be the asshole of the year for my beloved. It is my life, my choices.

crispy

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
Whatever, dude, WDW is awesome!  Facepunch me all you want, but it's my favorite vacation spot.  I think it's one of the few places that really has something for everyone.  Your kids will love it, and if you let yourself, you probably will to.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
There are so many ways to make this work for you:

1) You send wife & kids only, and you stay and work, then take a family vacation camping later in the year.

2) You plan a Florida vacation, with WDW as a minor "side" only.   

--> I would book into a timeshare resort (see tug2.net for great prices), into one of the really nice, lots of pools and lots of playgrounds, but far, far from WDW (30 minute drive).   Then spend 2 days at WDW.  Wife and granny spend an extra day (while you read a book or go for a walk or go to cape canaveral, etc.). 

Rest of time the family does Florida vacation things - Resort Days (at time share), beach day, orange grove, hike in everglades, alligator viewing, zoo, aquarium, factory or foodie tours, or whatever you really like to do.  Drink lots of fresh OJ.

3) Do #2 above, but you stay at resort during the day, and cook terrific meal for family for when they get back.   

Also
Use the others' recommendations to pick up new-looking WDW items from ebay or thrift store in advance, wrap them, and have kids open them when you arrive.  Maybe give each a small item every day, or a small spending allowance for the week.   Plan to pack lunches and snacks with you, bring water.   Arrive to park very very early and leave early.  (crowd avoidance).  The Week of New Years (just after) is very slow, as families want to be back to school the first week.  So, fewer crowds, and many free upgrades (rental car / hotel) etc.

Use kitchen in time share!

Also
I thought I would hate WDW, but as far as theme parks go, it really is top notch, and I was completely surprised by how well executed it is for something so fake. 

The shows in particular are very well done, and the animal park is great too.  Epcot for the SciFi  / Science-y stuff. It is possible to go just to the parks that may have something of interest for you.   

Katy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »
Glad to see someone reacts like I do to WDW. We have turned down two trips which my parents offered to pay for, minus the airfare. After one vacation with my parents and siblings in Hilton Head, we no longer attend those trips either. The arrangements sound generous but the travel is hideous to Hilton Head from where we live in New England. As for WDW, it was something I never wanted to do with my kids. We are heading to FL this spring and DH said we HAD to go to Disney. I showed him the price tag. Pretty sure it's off the table now. Has your MIL actually researched the cost?

Have our decisions affected our relationships? Not really.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Glad to see someone reacts like I do to WDW. We have turned down two trips which my parents offered to pay for, minus the airfare. After one vacation with my parents and siblings in Hilton Head, we no longer attend those trips either. The arrangements sound generous but the travel is hideous to Hilton Head from where we live in New England. As for WDW, it was something I never wanted to do with my kids. We are heading to FL this spring and DH said we HAD to go to Disney. I showed him the price tag. Pretty sure it's off the table now. Has your MIL actually researched the cost?

Have our decisions affected our relationships? Not really.

Not realy, but in the actual scenario, she assume ber expenses + 2 kids

She have like 150-200k$ in a bank account and uncomfortable with this.

The price tag ? She dont care, but I know I got to "match"

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 08:02:47 PM »
I can understand having anti-consumeristic principles and being steadfast in your ways. But just because you hate and despise the idea of fast food does not mean you can't ever buy a Big Mac.

For me, Disney is a very nostalgic brand that influenced so many people so the characters and environments definitely hold a twinkle in a lot of people's eye. Not many other people have created such all-encompassing brands like Walt Disney. It's fascinating and enthralling. Does this justify a trip to Disney? Maybe, maybe not. But Disney is a carefully curated experience, one that you won't likely seek out again since its so unique. Therefore, it's a blip on your radar and I think you're over-reacting a bit. It's not like a lifelong commitment to financing consumer electronics or a ridiculously expensive habit of frequenting exorbitantly priced restaurants.

All of that said, if you have absolutely no interest in going, then don't.

firedup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
We have been to WDW about 30 times and 2 WDW cruises. They are for sure anti mustachian. We did them on the cheap but because we went so often cutting corners was ok. No kids here so I would have a very hard time saying no to them on a once in a lifetime trip. It's just not worth going. At WDW the 2nd language of choice is Spanish, not French. It's beautiful and if money was no object and no problem spending it I would say go for sure but with everything you feel I would vote no. I think OOB is a great suggestion. There is a lot to see in Maine and you are right, the food is really good and so many choices. Another closer choice is the white mountains NH. There are several Disney like parks there and they are cheaper. If you like camping there are great choices there. WDW is the last thing I would stress over. Please find another place so you can all have fun. The last thing you want to miss is special memories with your kids. That's really what a family trip is all about.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:42:12 PM by firedup »

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
We have a trip planned there, and I can't wait!!  I would think that Epcot would offer some great learning experiences for kids, as well as Animal Kingdom.

One of my cousins, on the other hand, has gone a couple of times with her husband and two children.  Her husband never has a good time there--he's very frugal and complains about all the money spent there.  So, this time she booked a trip for just her and the kids.  Husband will stay home.

I'm sure your MIL would be pleased to treat your wife and grandchildren.

Zippity-doo-dah......

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
DH and I spent a week in Orlando at a luxury timeshare resort last year and went nowhere near the mouse house, so please know that I am naturally inclined to side with you. However, I'm sensing from this discussion is that maybe it's your MIL who wants to see WDW before she dies. If you looked at it from that perspective, would it make it a little more palatable for you?
I grew up in SoCal, so I went to Disneyland roughly annually as a kid. My Grandma lived in IL, but I clearly remember going to DL with her once when she came to CA. In fact, other than Grad Night, it's the trip I remember best and she's been gone for a good many years...
Much as I can barely force my fingers to spell the words, I think this trip could be good for her and for your children. I think I'd look for all the hacks I could find to cut expenses invisibly. Kristen over at The Frugal Girl took her family of six to WDW last summer. She asked her readers for tips and boy, did they come through. She published an after-trip post wherein she described how they made the trip work withour killing their budget. Here are the links, please go take a look. And then go with a happy heart.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/we-are-going-somewhere-expensive-yup/
http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2014/06/the-frugal-girls-disney-thoughts/

P.S. The pin tip from pbkmaine is a great, especially teaching your kids to trade them. Love it!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I don't want to go to WDW ! (but actualy did and survived)
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
I'm back from our trip to Walt Disney World!

Went with a happy heart (and a Mustachian brain) and everyone think I had the vacation of my life. It was fun, but no way I would pay for it! I realized I'm am thrully easy going person and a badass can survive that kind of journey without a sweat. I was ready physicaly and minded to enjoy the most of it. In fact, I lived the experience as it was the only and the last time I get there* (and hope it was!). So, for the one who never visited this magnificent tourist trap, here are the facts:

Water taste bad, so bad you would prefer to drink soda or stay thirsty or buy bottled water for 4$

There is only 2-3 thrilling rides per park, aknowledge this if your kids are 8-14 years old! My oldest son broke in tears when he realized this the first day.

I felt like we were in WALL-E movie. People are bigger than big, drink and eat crap all day long, produce waste at a top speed level and carry their asses with electrical devices. I realized that being fat and out of shape is probably the most common handicap!

Everything is clean and looks brand new.

The transportation system is nearly perfect, many cities could take example from it. Unfortunatly, you are dependent of the system cuz there is no way to walk (or bike) to reach all of the places you got to go.

Over 7 days, we spent 200$ including t-shirts, toys, gifts, souvenirs and beer. Honestly, I consider this not to bad. I real life, we would have paid about 100$ for the same items. That's the price to keep everyone happy through the week.

I'm definetly not a all-inclusive-package type. Makes me feel like I lost a bit of self...ness. All-inclusive-packages are not really including everything. They just decide for you and consequences looks like this: you catch yourself re-filling a mug of Coke for free instead of paying for a 4$ bottled water or a 8$ beer poured in a plastic glass, see the patern?

First thing I did when we got home is few sets of chin-ups. I was curious if I could still lift my own weight for 15 reps. Today, I started eating fruits and vegetables, drink tap water that taste better than trash-juice.

Still don't understand why people decide to deliberatly spend some of their own actual money to get there, definetly not a good trade.

*my SIL told us she plan to return in few years but actualy so tigth on money she got to exchange her remaining $200 USD for CAD because they are tight on money these days! They say it's tightwad to even think about the currency exchange fees (not rate) wich are usually 2-3% either way. I never exchange currency twice, when it's converted, the remaining $$ sits in our USD account till the next trip and fuck-off if the rates are worse, I don't give a shit about the rates, they go up and down all the time and nobody know where they will be.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »
Hey, thanks for the follow-up. Glad you survived the trip. Hope everyone else managed to squeeze a little more enjoyment out of it.

Weird aside: My brother lives in Phoenix. His wife is from China. Her brother is in the Chinese Army, stationed in Russia. Over the holidays, the brother's wife and gradeschooler child are making the trek from RUSSIA to Phoenix, with the express intent of making a pilgrimage to Disneyland. (HaHa, I just typo'd that as Dianeyland, LMAO!) Unbelievable! Can you imagine your parent(s) taking your fifth-grade self to St. Petersburg for Christmas? I cannot wrap my head around this one, but it must happen all the time at DL and WDW. Gadzooks!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
Yeah, I am one of those weirdos that actually likes WDW (or used to), but I agree with a lot of your impressions.  What impresses me about the place is the cleanliness, and the attention to detail.  When we took the kids, to control costs we made strict limits.  They got ONE souvenir below $50 each that I bought them and one snack bought in the park per day.  It was great and there were no arguments.  WDW isn't for everyone and it has now become so crowded and expensive year around that it isn't nearly as fun as it used to be IMO. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
Yeah, I am one of those weirdos that actually likes WDW (or used to), but I agree with a lot of your impressions.  What impresses me about the place is the cleanliness, and the attention to detail.  When we took the kids, to control costs we made strict limits.  They got ONE souvenir below $50 each that I bought them and one snack bought in the park per day.  It was great and there were no arguments.  WDW isn't for everyone and it has now become so crowded and expensive year around that it isn't nearly as fun as it used to be IMO.

Haha! Remembered me that quote from Yogi Berra:-"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded!"

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »

I went to WDW a couple years ago with the wife. It's so huge. We were eyewitnesses to one of those classic "mommy meltdowns" that you hear about (e.g. mom's melting down and just chewing out their kid(s) in public due to misbehaving, etc). This time it was between this tiny blonde entitled mom and some big mom who had a major no-nonsense attitude. Basically what happened was the blonde mom's family was all late to get on the hotel bus we were on heading to WDW - they were chasing the bus trying to get him to stop as he was driving off. He actually opened the doors while coming to a stop and the blonde mom's kids both ran and jumped onto the bus while it was moving and before he stopped. The blonde mom and her husband were *furious* with the driver, accusing him of driving off while her kids were running towards the bus and scolding him (and pointing a finger in his face) as to why he would do this and why he didn't stop and how dangerous that stunt was. It was the kids' fault to begin with so I felt bad for the driver, especially since he was coming to a stop and tried being accommodating. Anyway, the big mom who was already on the bus made some comment and shook her head and that's when it started... blonde mom asks what her issue is and if she has a problem with her and big mom yaks back. There was some more exchange of words and at some point blonde mom asks big mom what she's gonna do about it and big mom immediately jumps up with fists up rushing towards blonde mom. The husbands were quick to step in but it sure was heated for those several minutes. Mind you, this was around 7am-7:30am in the morning.... the rest of us were pretty shocked and just kinda looked at each other wide-eyed. Never have I seen anything like that in my life. It could have gotten real ugly for blonde mom if the husbands hadn't stepped in though.

We later saw blonde mom and her family on the Disney Cruise the week after (my wife and I just went to WDW a few days earlier before meeting up with the rest of my family for a Disney Cruise). We just put our heads down and avoided contact LOL. I guess some people just aren't morning people!

Oh yeah, I live 20 mins from Disneyland so anything Disney is like "rinse, wash, repeat" for me these days... in the sense that every time someone asks me if I'm close to Disneyland I say "yes" and try to change the subject. LOL

People buy season passes and I don't know why. I guess for some people it's a great deal for stress relief. Me? I'd rather just go sleep or something hahaha.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:35:39 PM by jplee3 »

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »
Water taste bad, so bad you would prefer to drink soda or stay thirsty or buy bottled water for 4$

Most people will tell you to avoid the Florida tap water. You can always ask for water from the soda fountain from the counter service, they will give it to you free and that is filtered water. We usually will picked up water from the supermarket if we have a car or order a case of water delivered to the resort to have good drinking water on hand. No need for overprices sodas or water.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm a huge Disney fan!  I've found that while there is a base-line level of expense to Disney (park tickets), there is a lot of room from there to decide how much you are willing to spend. 

A couple of tips I have picked up over the years:
  • Hydration - As others mentioned, you can get free water at any counter service restaurant.  The tap water isn't my favorite, so I often will pick up a Mio (or similar) when I can get it for free after coupons/rebates and reusable water bottle + water fountains everywhere + Mio keeps me happy).
  • Food - I'm an unrepentant fatty - but even I'll admit that Disney's portions are too much for me.  I'll often skip traditional meals for snacking throughout the day, order kids meals at counter service locations, look at the menu ahead of time for the best budget options (chicken fried rice - $3.99 @ AK Yak'nYeti; Ham and Cheese Croissant - $4.75 @ EPCOT France; and Wedge Salad - $5.99 @ DHS Sci-Fi are some of my favorites), and/or pack snacks/light meals rather than buying in park
  • Hotel - I often use Starwood points to stay at Swan/Dolphin on Disney property.  Other strategies include getting deals on Disney value resorts (I once got two nights @ All Star Sports for $125 total through TravelPony.com), off-site hotels near Disney Springs (can use Disney transport from Disney Springs), time-share rentals, and off-site resorts + car rental.[/ii]