Author Topic: I Don't Want a New Truck. Damn It!  (Read 24681 times)

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
Re: I Don't Want a New Truck. Damn It!
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
Well played.

At least my K5 is diesel. It was very likely was the most fuel-economic suv/truck of its time (at least that's how they marketed it). Even my ten-years-older Dodge pickup had the same fuel mileage.

My point being that I don't care to judge others for how they spend their money. I can still enjoy vehicle modding and offroading but meet all my financial goals. So for that reason if classic cars, or owing a p/u is what someone wants to do with their time/money, go for it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:20:05 PM by JZinCO »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
Sounds like we agree on the repair but you're way beyond me on the washing (and added waxing to boot). There's no intrinsically useful reason to wash a vehicle, ever, unless you live where roads are salted, but I would do quite a few useless things because they make my spouse happy.

I'm pretty sure a car will eventually rust, even in the South, if you never maintain the paint at all.

I have an '81 Tercel and a '71 Dodge dually that would disagree with you.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:35 PM »
At least my K5 is diesel. It was very likely was the most fuel-economic suv/truck of its time (at least that's how they marketed it).

Well that's good, at least. I would have loved to have a diesel, but unfortunately for me, all the diesel pickups sold in the US have tended to be automatic and/or full-size (except for some back in the mid-80s, which would be incredibly hard to find even if I did decide I wanted a truck as old as I am).

I have an '81 Tercel and a '71 Dodge dually that would disagree with you.

"Dually" noted.

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

Unless you work on a farm and have to haul hay and tractors and such around all day you deserve a punch in the face for driving that old relic around town lol. Chose a car from this list http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people
Fishinshawn, you can punch me too while you're at it.

The other day, I was driving the cherokee my gf and I share (oh dear only 18 mpg!). Sandwiched between a brand new lifted toyota tundra and an 80s k10. The tundra was shiny, unblemished and k10 had a broken grill, mismatched hood, no lift, etc. When I think 'manly truck', I don't envision a smooth body, dent free, heated leather seats, and satellite radio. I'd take that k10 anyday because that's my idea of a truck.

I fucking love my 1987 K5. Yeah I love that I have 38" tires and a 7" lift, the rear swing out bumper so I can strap in a cooler, and a roof rack to hold my gear on expeditions. And I love that it's army surplus with all the electrical quirks that come with that.
And what I really love is that I can keep it running for less than payments for a new vehicle, easily.

So go ahead and judge me for spending on what I value. But boy I bet it gets cold up on the high horse.

Nobody looks unmanly driving any kind of vehicle, thats all in your head, and you should read a few mr.MMM's blogs on the subject. I used to be jeepinshawn I have had YJ's TJ's WJ's and XJ's with everything from 31" set-ups for prerunning the dunes around me to 36" mud flinging rockwall climbing bias ply TSL's. Not paying into the Saudi kingdom and the Bush's trust funds, and saving all that money you waste on gas in the pursuit of illusionary manliness you think you get with a lifted vehicles, is what I try to do now. I evaluate every trip I have to take, and even in my car I sort of want to punch myself in the face half the time when I don't walk somewhere.  You can purchase a vehicle now that will fit 5 grown adults and get 30mpg and be insanely reliable for around $5000 or less.  That same vehicle will easily fit a washing machine or any other number of large items that would be a giant PIA the to try and left up into your giant "manly" rig.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »
Oh yeah. Don't think I don't understand your points. I said "manly" in jest because I don't find the sex appeal in new pick ups. But I'll admit, I appreciate older pick ups and SUVs

I just really enjoy heading up to the mountains to tool around, go camping and test my motoring skills. I no longer like rock crawling because I don't want to replace breaking parts every now and the upgrades never end. It's nice to have a simple rig build and maintain it.
I even got a van offered to me for free which honestly can haul more people or cubic feet of crap than any short-bed pickup can and it had decent gas mileage.. But I just didn't enjoy driving it.
I figure if I can't enjoy the vehicle I own, I'll bike or take the bus (which I do 90% of the time). I'm no MMM but I do know that I only put about 10 mi on a week unless I'm going to the mountains or to Denver occasionally. I just wouldn't enjoy dropping $3,000 on something (cost of the K5) that doesn't make me smile each time I use it.

I don't really get the disconnect. When someone on here posts a brand new custom built RV, everyone says "way to go bub!" and when I spend $150/mo for gas and parts without taking on debt.. that's a problem?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:25:56 PM by JZinCO »

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
I love my paid for '07 Tacoma pickup!

One of my coworkers was shopping online for a new Chevy Silverado 4dr pu...$58K  The one he drives now is only 1 year old but its the extra cab model and now he wants the full quad cab. I mentioned he might try to find one with low mileage that someone else ate the depreciation on, but there's no talking him out of it. Funny thing is this truck will sit empty while parked at work and the other 99% of the time he'll be the only one in it...lol

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »
Nobody looks unmanly driving any kind of vehicle, thats all in your head, and you should read a few mr.MMM's blogs on the subject.

Oh yeah. Don't think I don't understand your points. I said "manly" in jest because I don't find the sex appeal in new pick ups. But I'll admit, I appreciate older pick ups and SUVs

FYI, I'm so goddamn virile that I've owned a:
  • minivan
  • Korean subcompact hatchback
  • VW New Beetle, and
  • Miata
(the aforementioned truck usually gets driven by my wife.)

What's the opposite of "compensating?"

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 04:37:16 AM »
Keep your fancy luxurious and practically brand new truck. You clearly like it and it has served you well this far. Vehicles last forever if you want them to. I say buy a vehicle that you like and suits your needs and keep it for the rest of your life.

My truck is 30 years old and it's really quite new, fancy and luxurious compared to my other vehicles. The Ron Paul stickers still look fairly new too.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 05:16:37 AM »
Keep your fancy luxurious and practically brand new truck. You clearly like it and it has served you well this far. Vehicles last forever if you want them to. I say buy a vehicle that you like and suits your needs and keep it for the rest of your life.

My truck is 30 years old and it's really quite new, fancy and luxurious compared to my other vehicles. The Ron Paul stickers still look fairly new too.

And if it ever fades, for 4.29 you can get a fresh one and make your vehicle look like it just rolled off the lot! http://www.cafepress.com/+ron-paul+bumper-stickers

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 12:15:19 PM »
I'm guessing that a multimillionaire, who doesn't give a damn about what you think of him driving an old vehicle, probably also doesn't give a hoot about whether or not you think he is a "slob" based on the shininess of said vehicle.

Or, at least, this particular multimillionaire doesn't care what people think. 

Here's my rationale about car washes, waxing, and the like.

To me, a vehicle is nothing but a tool.  Something to haul my butt and stuff from point A to point B.

I don't "take pride" in my vehicle any more than I "take pride" in my claw hammer.  I don't see it as a penis extender.  I don't use it to impress people.

Car washes cost money.  Waxing costs money.  Even if you do the work yourself.  Like that morning cup o' Starbucks, it may not be a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  And it takes time, either way.

And then you have to do wash/wax again a few weeks later.  Over and over and over and over again.  Year after year.

Even if you spend only $20 six times a year, that amounts to $120 per year (and that's a low estimate, believe me, my wife significantly more than that keeping her BMW looking showroom new).  Or $1,680+ over the current life of my vehicle.  To say nothing of the opportunity cost which would put the total cost of vanity cleaning somewhere north of $3,300.

I'd rather have that $3,300+ in my investment account than in give it to some car wash.

I see no value in spending time or money putting lipstick on a pig.  My money and my time can be put to much better use.

I keep the engine, drive train, tires, brakes- the important stuff- well maintained.  Because that makes the vehicle safer and extends it's life.  I also keep the cab clean.  And by "clean" I don't mean rubbing down the dash with Armor All to make it shiny, I just don't like a mess in my vehicle- I keep it trash free.

So I'll just drive my truck, covered with dirt, pollen, dents, etc past you and a bunch of other people I don't know or care about, knowing that some of you may disapprove. 

And I'll have to find a way to live with the shame.

In about 2 hours, I'm going to take my wife and her car to the BMW dealership to drop her car off for some work.  I'm going to pull the dirty, ugly Beast right up front, and bask in the looks of HORROR I receive :)

Claiming that a car wash done at home costs $20 is one of the more insane rationales I've seen on this forum.  And that's saying something.

It costs maybe 25 cents to wash a car at home.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
I'm guessing that a multimillionaire, who doesn't give a damn about what you think of him driving an old vehicle, probably also doesn't give a hoot about whether or not you think he is a "slob" based on the shininess of said vehicle.

To me, a vehicle is nothing but a tool.  Something to haul my butt and stuff from point A to point B.

I don't "take pride" in my vehicle any more than I "take pride" in my claw hammer.  I don't see it as a penis extender.  I don't use it to impress people.

Car washes cost money.  Waxing costs money.  Even if you do the work yourself.  Like that morning cup o' Starbucks, it may not be a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  And it takes time, either way.

And then you have to do wash/wax again a few weeks later.  Over and over and over and over again.  Year after year.

Even if you spend only $20 six times a year, that amounts to $120 per year (and that's a low estimate, believe me, my wife significantly more than that keeping her BMW looking showroom new).  Or $1,680+ over the current life of my vehicle.  To say nothing of the opportunity cost which would put the total cost of vanity cleaning somewhere north of $3,300.

I'd rather have that $3,300+ in my investment account than in give it to some car wash.

I see no value in spending time or money putting lipstick on a pig.  My money and my time can be put to much better use.

I keep the engine, drive train, tires, brakes- the important stuff- well maintained.  Because that makes the vehicle safer and extends it's life.  I also keep the cab clean.  And by "clean" I don't mean rubbing down the dash with Armor All to make it shiny, I just don't like a mess in my vehicle- I keep it trash free.

So I'll just drive my truck, covered with dirt, pollen, dents, etc past you and a bunch of other people I don't know or care about, knowing that some of you may disapprove. 

In about 2 hours, I'm going to take my wife and her car to the BMW dealership to drop her car off for some work.  I'm going to pull the dirty, ugly Beast right up front, and bask in the looks of HORROR I receive :)

Claiming that a car wash done at home costs $20 is one of the more insane rationales I've seen on this forum.  And that's saying something.

Wash your car at home!? You mean, like someone who isn't a multimillionaire!?  The thought!

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »

Agreed.  I had a "less than" sign in front of my $20 number, and that's if you buy the soap and wax yourself at the autozone.  I'm also assuming that the OP has a water hose. 

As to the point of a car being a tool, all of the machinists where I work wipe their lathes, mills and presses down at the end of the day. They keep their area clean and tidy, its part of taking pride in their work.  It takes just a few minutes, and it goes a long way towards the appearance of the shop. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
As to the point of a car being a tool, all of the machinists where I work wipe their lathes, mills and presses down at the end of the day. They keep their area clean and tidy, its part of taking pride in their work.  It takes just a few minutes, and it goes a long way towards the appearance of the shop.
Not only does it *look* good, but in my experience, cleaning up at the end of a project dramatically improves productivity later.  You're not stepping over/around stuff, it's easy to find tools, and it's just mentally easier to get working on a project.

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 03:49:29 PM »
I said in my first journal entry ever that I love my truck and won't get rid of her til the wheels fall off.  My cousin is a mechanic, so even if they fall off I'll probably just have him slap them back on.  I'll happily pay $1000 a year in major maintenance costs than buy a new car and spend $400 for a new side mirror if it gets clipped because it has no fog, flashing turn signal, gps monitored, auto fold in, 100% unnecessary crap on the mirror when all I need is reflection. 

I was happily reminded of this thread this past weekend.  My Truck (now over 20 years old since the last post) still runs, still looks like crap, and I still love her.  I've even added a car seat to the second row and, low and behold, my kid has somehow survived the 'dangers' of riding in a pre 2000 era automobile. 

My brother in law and sister in law recently both recently got new vehicles.  While standing in the front yard my kid said on the few words he can say of 'Truck,' looking at the in law's 2017 ride.  To which my sister in law replied, "Yeah, that is your uncle's truck.  It is much nicer than your daddy's truck!"

That may be, but I own it instead of owe on it, but I give her credit at least for not being passive aggressive on her opinion on my old, beloved beater.

:)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
I drive a car.  I used to have a truck.  I liked my truck.  I used to haul stuff.  Trucks are used to haul stuff.

If you need to haul darn near anything, do you want to toss it in the bed of your brand new truck?  I know people who have borrowed older trucks or even rented trucks to keep dents from their truck.  There is pragmatic value to an old truck that is still running.

Old trucks offer more than pragmatic value, they offer actual value as they are paid for.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
How are the only options mentioned here: keep the old POS, or buy a brand new truck?

There are a lot of inbetweens. I love my ‘99 Camry I’ve driven the last 4-5 years. Paid $5k cash for it. I keep it clean and take care of it, though.

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
I say keep the old truck, but that is coming from another guy with an old truck. I couldn’t get much for it, but it’s easy to maintain, I do almost all my own work, and even many major repairs would still be cheaper than a decent used car. It has over 200,000 miles on it, but many of them make it over 500,000. It’s best to shit, but I don’t have to worry about it. I park and drive wherever I need to, throw whatever I need into it, and let the rain wash it when it happens.

Personally, I love the stigma that comes with a beater vehicle. It may look terrible, but it will run far longer than most people will have their cars and I know more about it to keep it functional than most people care to learn about vehicles. It’s all manual parts and crank knobs, so nothing is prone to failure that can’t be rigged with the tools I keep inside of it. I park it wherever I want without worry of dings or theft. I take pride in the fact that it costs less per year to maintain than most people pay for one payment. It’s no hybrid, but as far as old cars go it is a stick shift and rwd, so it does just enough with nothing extra. Hanging onto it and forgoing other cars has been one of the most frugal choices I have made.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
keep the old POS, or buy a brand new truck?

Keep the old. Then take $5 you’ve saved out of the $55K you didn’t pay for a new truck, get a car wash and post a photo. I wash my car annually out of guilt. What does it look like if you don’t wash it for a decade-plus. I am so curious!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Keep the old truck if it makes you happy.

On the subject of washing/cleaning. I like a clean interior. Not show ready but vacuumed and everything wiped down with a damp rag a few times per year.

I ride with other people who never empty their cars/trucks of trash. Its like stepping into a garbage can to ride somewhere. Yuck.

As for the outside, I wash that too occasionally. Dish washing liquid if nothing else, water hose and an old wash mit.