Author Topic: I Don't Want a New Truck. Damn It!  (Read 24678 times)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
I Don't Want a New Truck. Damn It!
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »
I drive a 14-year old Chevy Silverado.  It's a POS. 

It looks just awful.  It hasn't been washed since probably 2005.  It's covered with old political stickers- Ron Paul for President 2008! - we can still win that one, lol.  It's got dents, dings, scratches, etc.  And an ugly old camper top that doesn't match the color of the truck.  The bed is full of dog fur, saw dust, grime, and probably animal waste (I use it to transport dogs for a local rescue shelter).  It's so ugly, it's essentially theft proof, even here in South Texas, where insurance rates are high because a lot of vehicles get stolen and end up South of the Border.  Even thieves have standards.  :)

But it runs fine.

For years, people have been telling me to get rid of it.  Friends, co-workers, family, neighbors (some have suggested that it doesn't fit in my slightly upper middle class 'hood").  When I visit my parents, my mom suggests that I should park it down the street (she's only slightly kidding) so I don't embarrass them.  My co-workers laugh that it's so ugly and out of place among the shiny, fancy new trucks (this is Texas, and a Silverado Texas Edition is at least as "prestigious" as a BMW 3-series) and BMWs/Mercs/Lexi in the company parking lot. 

I never minded, I actually took a perverse joy in watching the fear on people's faces when I pulled into the slot next to their late model Mercedes.  That look they give me, something like "Please, Jesus (again, this is Texas), don't let that crappy truck park next to my shiny new Mercedes SL" was just priceless. :)

So now the old beast needs some work- new tires, front brakes, and a couple of other minor things, maybe a few hundred dollars worth of work.  I guess that was the last straw for my wife.  A few minutes ago, she said "get rid of the that old thing and buy a new one." 

Et Tu Brute?  She was the one person who'd never seriously suggested I get rid of it.

Everyone thinks I'm being "cheap" not buying a new truck, as I can easily afford a new one 

But that's not really it.  I like the old truck.  It's like a comfortable old pair of shoes.

The new $35K trucks have so many bells and whistles, I'd probably need another engineering degree just to figure out how to work them.

So, who's with me in thinking that I should spend $500 on the old truck and run it for another 5 years rather than blowing $35k on a new one?

Hell, my truck is less worn out than Hillary Clinton*, and she thinks she's got 8 more years left in her :) 

So why am I wrong in keeping my old truck going?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
Re: I Don't Want a New Truck. Damn It!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
Your 14-year-old truck is four years newer than the newest of my cars.

Perhaps you should wash it, though.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:44 AM »
I just paid a shop to put a new radiator, CV axle joint, wheel bearings and brakes on my 16-year-old Honda. You need to keep driving your truck so I can feel less insane by comparison. ;)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:22 AM »

Because you're an anomaly (being part of this community of frugal-minded folk). Conform to the masses, friend. It's for the greater good.

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:40:37 AM »
I can't imagine anyone in this forum telling you to buy a new truck based on how your old one LOOKS.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Clean it up and repair it.

Or buy a "new to you" one that's 8 or 10 years old.  brand new is not the only option, no?  Is it hurting your job prospects?  I think high heels and dry clean clothing is bullshit, but strategically spend money on them because I think it's a good investment in my career.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
It sounds like it's worth about $200 to anybody else and a lot more than that to you.

Is your Ron Paul 2008 sticker even legible anymore? They weren't that high-quality, the one on a family member's car was nearly all-white by the time she traded it in last year.

Man, I met so many wackos knocking on doors for that guy...

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:18 AM »
Definitely keep the old truck if you like it. Things like tires and brakes are wear items anyway, you'll have to eventually replace them on any vehicle. As long as it's structurally sound (frame hasn't rusted through), there's no reason to replace it. 14 years is not much for a silverado. Plenty of trucks here from the 90's and some from the 80's. Now, I'm not a truck fan, but I have a 15 year old subaru that I bought as a significant upgrade in terms of age and quality from my old car about three years ago.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:48:38 AM »
I know what you mean about it being like an old worn in comfortable pair of sneakers.  People tell me the same thing (get a new one) and my truck is only 10 years old and has 200,000 miles. But i love the darn thing!

Zman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:15 AM »
I had people say the same thing about my Mazda, so I gave in and sold it... I just havent bought anything else yet :-)

2Wheels for the Win!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »

I'm afraid that if I wash it, I'll realize the paint is old, dingy, and dinged.

As long as it's covered with dirt, dust, and pollen, I can delude myself into thinking it would look show room new if I just spent $3 on a car wash.  :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:50:02 AM »
My dad rushed out and bought a brand new 2013 GMC because he found out it's the last year they offer manually operated windows. He finally got rid of his 1985 a few years back, and the rest of his vehicles were from 1993-1997 up until this purchase. We're in PA, not Texas, but at some point, between my dad and step-mom, they had 4 Chevrolet V8s (2 trucks, 1 Suburban, 1 Blazer Sport i.e. 2-door Tahoe). The 2013 isn't used for "work" though - it's used to drive to people's houses on visits. You have to give him a pass, though, he's 67 and retired. He can afford it :-)

I think you should go truck shopping, but not for a new one. Find something in the 2005-2009 range that feels like it could become "an old pair of shoes" someday.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »

As long as it's covered with dirt, dust, and pollen, I can delude myself into thinking it would look show room new if I just spent $3 on a car wash.  :)

Aside from the dents and scratches, the paint is old and dingy because you haven't kept it washed (and more importantly, waxed).

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 08:52:30 AM »
My dad rushed out and bought a brand new 2013 GMC because he found out it's the last year they offer manually operated windows.

Yup, I have the old hand cranked windows.  Chevy doesn't offer them anymore.

If I ever drive into a lake, I'm gonna be glad I have the "old school" windows. :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
If I ever drive into a lake...

That is exactly what he said! I told him he probably shouldn't be driving into any lakes ;)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »

Aside from the dents and scratches, the paint is old and dingy because you haven't kept it washed (and more importantly, waxed).

Wax?  What is this substance you speak of?   Tell me more about this exotic elixir which will make the old beast young again.  :)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
Just repair it and keep on laughing all the way to the bank.

Just think of it this way. $500 for a repair bill is probably similar to the monthly payment of most of those fancy newer trucks in the parking lot.

It would take 71 $500 repair bills before it became economical to buy a new truck. Drive that thing until it falls apart. If for no other reason than just to spite everyone who tells you to get a new one.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
Just repair it and keep on laughing all the way to the bank.

Just think of it this way. $500 for a repair bill is probably similar to the monthly payment of most of those fancy newer trucks in the parking lot.

It would take 71 $500 repair bills before it became economical to buy a new truck. Drive that thing until it falls apart. If for no other reason than just to spite everyone who tells you to get a new one.

Oh, at least....yesterday, I had a brief flash of "Hmm I wonder what a C7 Corvette would cost."  The cheapest one on Autotrader would result in a 5 year loan that costs more than my mortgage/taxes/insurance/PMI payment. Holy crap.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
As others have said, keep it and take care of it or buy used. I'd never buy new. Seems like the problem your family and others have is not the age of the vehicle, but rather the condition of said vehicle. Kudos for helping out with rescues though. Every car needs maintenance. Every car also needs to be washed once in a while. If you neglect either, you just create more costly situations. If the paint really is that crappy and all dinged up on your truck AND it's causing that much grief, then sell it and buy something cheap. However, if you can just wash it and make it look decent, then repair and keep up on maintenance and cleaning. Under no circumstances is paying $35K or more a good option, Texas or not! :)

Reynolds531

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 09:10:20 AM »
Do you need the camper? I would lose that. And yes wax, vacuum, power wash the bed.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 09:11:53 AM »
My co-workers laugh that it's so ugly and out of place among the shiny, fancy new trucks (this is Texas, and a Silverado Texas Edition is at least as "prestigious" as a BMW 3-series) and BMWs/Mercs/Lexi in the company parking lot. 

haha love it.  A guy I work with drives a late 80's Honda CRX.  He usually parks right near the entrance because he arrives early.  During board of directors meetings they reserve these spots for the board members.  I affectionately call the meetings car show day because they all arrive in their BMW/Mercedes/Escalades/other fancy cars.  So my co worker was travelling for business left his car parked in the front.  So come the quarterly meeting there is his beater honda among the board of directors cars.  The best part was the Executive Assistant running around trying to find out whose care it was in order for them to move it.

I say do the work.  Keep the car.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »
My co-workers laugh that it's so ugly and out of place among the shiny, fancy new trucks (this is Texas, and a Silverado Texas Edition is at least as "prestigious" as a BMW 3-series) and BMWs/Mercs/Lexi in the company parking lot. 
Heh, I remember having the same feeling at my last job.  In Houston, but my car was (is) a '95 Corolla, surrounded by the same kinds of cars you're describing.  At my current job, one guys has a '99 corolla, one guy used to have a '92 Accord but recently bought a Prius, and a third guy got a year-old Hyundai Accent.  All pretty mustachian cars.  And people regularly bike to work as well.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
I wish I could get my 2001 K1500 back.  I loved every inch of that truck.  I would do the repairs and settle in to a $300-500 detail and likely lose the camper (I can't stand them personally).  Let the pro's with a buffing wheel bring back the beauty.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
Can you repaint it?

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
Joining the choir here- keep it!

If you already have what you want, it doesn't mean you should buy something else just because you can afford it.

UNLESS... unless it's really really reaaaally starting to bother your spouse. It's probably not worth marital problems.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
I LOVE my 16 year old truck! We spent $3500 last year overhauling it because it only has 90k miles and will last forever! I actually like the look of it even though it's been wrecked and has some primered patches, that just adds to the character. $500 is nothing. Keep those old shoes I say.

I can't even consider what a new truck would cost to replace this one as its a heavy duty 3/4 ton long bed crew cab. Ack!

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
The bed is full of dog fur, saw dust, grime, and probably animal waste (I use it to transport dogs for a local rescue shelter).

So, would you want to see that happen to a new truck?  I say keep the old one.  It must be possible to find a decent set of used tires online?  And I'm with the other posters who say that you should enjoy being a non-conformist, and to heck with what the other clown car owners think.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
Quote from: libertarian4321 link=topic=54512.msg1059179#msg1059179
[/quote

Because you are a constant reminder of what so many other people aren't:  smart.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
I LOVE my 16 year old truck! We spent $3500 last year overhauling it because it only has 90k miles and will last forever! I actually like the look of it even though it's been wrecked and has some primered patches, that just adds to the character. $500 is nothing. Keep those old shoes I say.

I can't even consider what a new truck would cost to replace this one as its a heavy duty 3/4 ton long bed crew cab. Ack!

I was just at Costco (getting unmustachian 200-treadwear tires mounted to my unmustachian new wheels for my unnecessary sports car so I win lose slightly less badly at my expensive racing hobby...), and had some time to look at the "members special" crew-cab Chevy Silverado parked in front. $58K!!!!!

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
FWIW - I clocked 460,000 miles on my Chevy K1500 and only had to replace one 4WD solenoid and a rear transmission seal (outside of regular maintenance of course).  That thing will run forever.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
I'm always impressed when I see someone with a well-maintained older vehicle, even if its something not inherently impressive like a Honda Accord. 

When I see a person with a poorly maintained older vehicle, I think "slob".

Your problem is not that your vehicle is old, its that it looks like shit.  Wash it, do your best to pop out any dents from behind the panels, claybar it, give it a nice coat of wax, spray out the bed with a hose, and vacuum the interior.  Total cost is <$20 bucks, but it will make your vehicle look 100% better. 

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »
We are in the same boat.  I drive an 18 year old Chevy Truck.  It still has dents from footballs hitting it in the fraternity parking lot 15+ years ago.  I love the dents.  I lived in a barrio during law school-my truck was never touched as it blended in there, so only the gentrifiers' vehicles were messed with (I was one as well, kinda, but I traveled in camouflage).  Last week I had a hearing 2.5 hours away.  It took 3 hours in my Truck, and when my client saw what I was driving, laughed that she expected me to be in a 3 series.  No way-I had to go check out some property on a wet caliche road afterwards!

I said in my first journal entry ever that I love my truck and won't get rid of her til the wheels fall off.  My cousin is a mechanic, so even if they fall off I'll probably just have him slap them back on.  I'll happily pay $1000 a year in major maintenance costs than buy a new car and spend $400 for a new side mirror if it gets clipped because it has no fog, flashing turn signal, gps monitored, auto fold in, 100% unnecessary crap on the mirror when all I need is reflection. 

Either you're a Texan, or you're not from Texas but moved here as fast as you could (in the words of Lyle Lovett, Texas loves you anyway) so go ahead and embrace the cold, hard truth that a Truck is a modern man's horse, and not something to be discarded at the drop of a ten gallon hat.

Happy San Jacinto Day. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »

I was just at Costco (getting unmustachian 200-treadwear tires mounted to my unmustachian new wheels for my unnecessary sports car so I win lose slightly less badly at my expensive racing hobby...), and had some time to look at the "members special" crew-cab Chevy Silverado parked in front. $58K!!!!!

What tires did you get? I'll probably be needing some soon.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 06:37:39 PM »
Keep it and fix it up if you love it!

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
If it's otherwise mechanically sound and your wife has had enough of the condition its in...fix it, clean it, maybe even consider repainting it if you're feeling crazy.  Would still be far cheaper than buying a new used one.

It's not like you should care what anyone other than your wife thinks, convince her a 'tune-up' will be sufficient.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
My dad rushed out and bought a brand new 2013 GMC because he found out it's the last year they offer manually operated windows.

Yup, I have the old hand cranked windows.  Chevy doesn't offer them anymore.

If I ever drive into a lake, I'm gonna be glad I have the "old school" windows. :)

Per Mythbusters, you can't open a partially submerged car with manual or auto windows; you either need to open them immediately (and power windows will actually work for quite a while in fresh water, in addition to offering greater force than a human can provide on manual windows without breaking the crank) or wait until the car is fully submerged and open the doors. But yeah...manual windows offer no advantage whatsoever over auto windows in an immersion situation. Once the car begins to sink, your only hope is the doors or an escape hammer.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »
I'm always impressed when I see someone with a well-maintained older vehicle, even if its something not inherently impressive like a Honda Accord. 

Your problem is not that your vehicle is old, its that it looks like shit.  Wash it, do your best to pop out any dents from behind the panels, claybar it, give it a nice coat of wax, spray out the bed with a hose, and vacuum the interior.  Total cost is <$20 bucks, but it will make your vehicle look 100% better.

I'm guessing that a multimillionaire, who doesn't give a damn about what you think of him driving an old vehicle, probably also doesn't give a hoot about whether or not you think he is a "slob" based on the shininess of said vehicle.

Or, at least, this particular multimillionaire doesn't care what people think. 

Here's my rationale about car washes, waxing, and the like.

To me, a vehicle is nothing but a tool.  Something to haul my butt and stuff from point A to point B.

I don't "take pride" in my vehicle any more than I "take pride" in my claw hammer.  I don't see it as a penis extender.  I don't use it to impress people.

Car washes cost money.  Waxing costs money.  Even if you do the work yourself.  Like that morning cup o' Starbucks, it may not be a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  And it takes time, either way.

And then you have to do wash/wax again a few weeks later.  Over and over and over and over again.  Year after year.

Even if you spend only $20 six times a year, that amounts to $120 per year (and that's a low estimate, believe me, my wife significantly more than that keeping her BMW looking showroom new).  Or $1,680+ over the current life of my vehicle.  To say nothing of the opportunity cost which would put the total cost of vanity cleaning somewhere north of $3,300.

I'd rather have that $3,300+ in my investment account than in give it to some car wash.

I see no value in spending time or money putting lipstick on a pig.  My money and my time can be put to much better use.

I keep the engine, drive train, tires, brakes- the important stuff- well maintained.  Because that makes the vehicle safer and extends it's life.  I also keep the cab clean.  And by "clean" I don't mean rubbing down the dash with Armor All to make it shiny, I just don't like a mess in my vehicle- I keep it trash free.

So I'll just drive my truck, covered with dirt, pollen, dents, etc past you and a bunch of other people I don't know or care about, knowing that some of you may disapprove. 

And I'll have to find a way to live with the shame.

In about 2 hours, I'm going to take my wife and her car to the BMW dealership to drop her car off for some work.  I'm going to pull the dirty, ugly Beast right up front, and bask in the looks of HORROR I receive :)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 05:09:48 AM »
Er, one more point, while I'm ranting.

I would posit that there is an ADVANTAGE to driving a ratty looking vehicle.

People see my truck, and they know I don't give a damn about it, so when I'm trying to do a lane change, I've notice people don't "challenge me."   

You know, the jackasses who see driving as a competitive event and speed up to block you from changing into their lane?

If I'm driving my wife's Beemer, they are far less likely to back off.  Probably because they know I won't risk a scratch on it.

But when I drive my ratty old truck, almost no one challenges me.  They respect the fact that I clearly don't give a damn about my vehicle.  They know I'm a "slob" or a "loser" and probably "crazy" for driving such a POS, so they won't take a chance.  :)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 05:56:02 AM »
Awesome, I love it.  I used to own an old Chevy blazer that I kept for a long time. Near the end it had mashed bumpers, dents, and rusty wheels. No one challenged me on the highway.  It was great.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »
Yeah for $500 just fix it :)

Also yeah I agree with happily owning an older car. I don't even bother washing mine all that much, it'll get dirty again pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:00:45 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Steve Ainslie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ainslies.org - becoming a better man
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 06:20:22 AM »
No way would I replace the truck.  My wife wants to repaint our 16 year old Accord because  it has white patches  on the roof and hood from sun bleaching, plus a bunch of dings and dents from various fender benders where the hitter just left.

I told her that we wash the car at least once a year to get the heavy pollen off and that's all I'm willing to do. A good paint job will cost more than I could sell the car for.

Book value on the car is under $2k but since I've been driving it payment free for at least 8 years (plus 8 before that) and plan to get another 10 it's worth a lot more to me.

Plus my insurance is half of what it would  be with a nice, shiny  car.

I drive my 2004 Scion xb. It's a little beast of burden  that can carry more furniture and mulch than many trucks. The scion gets vacuumed and hosed off at least  once a year if we have company coming over and there's too much dog hair and mulch leftovers on the back seats.

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:46 AM »
When my dad was younger he had a bumper sticker on his old orange truck: "What the hell it runs!"

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 08:32:12 AM »
Repair it, and wash it if it's really bothering your wife.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2016, 10:00:43 AM »

I agree.  I see older vehicles on the road that look very well taken care of and those that don't look like they will make it much longer.  When I was growing up I was taught that when you buy something you take care of it.  My car get's washed and waxed often and although it has a couple minor dings it looks great and runs great and I hope to keep it looking good for a very long time.  Wash and wax that truck!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »

I agree.  I see older vehicles on the road that look very well taken care of and those that don't look like they will make it much longer.  When I was growing up I was taught that when you buy something you take care of it.  My car get's washed and waxed often and although it has a couple minor dings it looks great and runs great and I hope to keep it looking good for a very long time.  Wash and wax that truck!

Sounds like we agree on the repair but you're way beyond me on the washing (and added waxing to boot). There's no intrinsically useful reason to wash a vehicle, ever, unless you live where roads are salted, but I would do quite a few useless things because they make my spouse happy.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

I'm guessing that a multimillionaire, who doesn't give a damn about what you think of him driving an old vehicle, probably also doesn't give a hoot about whether or not you think he is a "slob" based on the shininess of said vehicle.

Or, at least, this particular multimillionaire doesn't care what people think. 

Here's my rationale about car washes, waxing, and the like.

To me, a vehicle is nothing but a tool.  Something to haul my butt and stuff from point A to point B.

I don't "take pride" in my vehicle any more than I "take pride" in my claw hammer.  I don't see it as a penis extender.  I don't use it to impress people.

Car washes cost money.  Waxing costs money.  Even if you do the work yourself.  Like that morning cup o' Starbucks, it may not be a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  And it takes time, either way.

And then you have to do wash/wax again a few weeks later.  Over and over and over and over again.  Year after year.

Even if you spend only $20 six times a year, that amounts to $120 per year (and that's a low estimate, believe me, my wife significantly more than that keeping her BMW looking showroom new).  Or $1,680+ over the current life of my vehicle.  To say nothing of the opportunity cost which would put the total cost of vanity cleaning somewhere north of $3,300.

I'd rather have that $3,300+ in my investment account than in give it to some car wash.

I see no value in spending time or money putting lipstick on a pig.  My money and my time can be put to much better use.

I keep the engine, drive train, tires, brakes- the important stuff- well maintained.  Because that makes the vehicle safer and extends it's life.  I also keep the cab clean.  And by "clean" I don't mean rubbing down the dash with Armor All to make it shiny, I just don't like a mess in my vehicle- I keep it trash free.

So I'll just drive my truck, covered with dirt, pollen, dents, etc past you and a bunch of other people I don't know or care about, knowing that some of you may disapprove. 

And I'll have to find a way to live with the shame.

In about 2 hours, I'm going to take my wife and her car to the BMW dealership to drop her car off for some work.  I'm going to pull the dirty, ugly Beast right up front, and bask in the looks of HORROR I receive :)

How on earth are you spending $20 on soap, water and wax every two months? Meguiar's Gold car wash soap is $8.99 on Amazon and gives you 64 washes. That's 14 cents per wash, plus whatever you pay for water and wash mitt/cloth.

If you don't care, that's one thing....but claiming it has to cost that much is ridiculous.

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 02:25:52 PM »
I drive a 14-year old Chevy Silverado.  It's a POS. 

It looks just awful.  It hasn't been washed since probably 2005.  It's covered with old political stickers- Ron Paul for President 2008! - we can still win that one, lol.  It's got dents, dings, scratches, etc.  And an ugly old camper top that doesn't match the color of the truck.  The bed is full of dog fur, saw dust, grime, and probably animal waste (I use it to transport dogs for a local rescue shelter).  It's so ugly, it's essentially theft proof, even here in South Texas, where insurance rates are high because a lot of vehicles get stolen and end up South of the Border.  Even thieves have standards.  :)

But it runs fine.

For years, people have been telling me to get rid of it.  Friends, co-workers, family, neighbors (some have suggested that it doesn't fit in my slightly upper middle class 'hood").  When I visit my parents, my mom suggests that I should park it down the street (she's only slightly kidding) so I don't embarrass them.  My co-workers laugh that it's so ugly and out of place among the shiny, fancy new trucks (this is Texas, and a Silverado Texas Edition is at least as "prestigious" as a BMW 3-series) and BMWs/Mercs/Lexi in the company parking lot. 

I never minded, I actually took a perverse joy in watching the fear on people's faces when I pulled into the slot next to their late model Mercedes.  That look they give me, something like "Please, Jesus (again, this is Texas), don't let that crappy truck park next to my shiny new Mercedes SL" was just priceless. :)

So now the old beast needs some work- new tires, front brakes, and a couple of other minor things, maybe a few hundred dollars worth of work.  I guess that was the last straw for my wife.  A few minutes ago, she said "get rid of the that old thing and buy a new one." 

Et Tu Brute?  She was the one person who'd never seriously suggested I get rid of it.

Everyone thinks I'm being "cheap" not buying a new truck, as I can easily afford a new one 

But that's not really it.  I like the old truck.  It's like a comfortable old pair of shoes.

The new $35K trucks have so many bells and whistles, I'd probably need another engineering degree just to figure out how to work them.

So, who's with me in thinking that I should spend $500 on the old truck and run it for another 5 years rather than blowing $35k on a new one?

Hell, my truck is less worn out than Hillary Clinton*, and she thinks she's got 8 more years left in her :) 

Unless you work on a farm and have to haul hay and tractors and such around all day you deserve a punch in the face for driving that old relic around town lol. Chose a car from this list http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
Sounds like we agree on the repair but you're way beyond me on the washing (and added waxing to boot). There's no intrinsically useful reason to wash a vehicle, ever, unless you live where roads are salted, but I would do quite a few useless things because they make my spouse happy.

I'm pretty sure a car will eventually rust, even in the South, if you never maintain the paint at all.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

Unless you work on a farm and have to haul hay and tractors and such around all day you deserve a punch in the face for driving that old relic around town lol. Chose a car from this list http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/19/top-10-cars-for-smart-people
Fishinshawn, you can punch me too while you're at it.

The other day, I was driving the cherokee my gf and I share (oh dear only 18 mpg!). Sandwiched between a brand new lifted toyota tundra and an 80s k10. The tundra was shiny, unblemished and k10 had a broken grill, mismatched hood, no lift, etc. When I think 'manly truck', I don't envision a smooth body, dent free, heated leather seats, and satellite radio. I'd take that k10 anyday because that's my idea of a truck.

I fucking love my 1987 K5. Yeah I love that I have 38" tires and a 7" lift, the rear swing out bumper so I can strap in a cooler, and a roof rack to hold my gear on expeditions. And I love that it's army surplus with all the electrical quirks that come with that.
And what I really love is that I can keep it running for less than payments for a new vehicle, easily.

So go ahead and judge me for spending on what I value. But boy I bet it gets cold up on the high horse.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »

Fishinshawn, you can punch me too while you're at it.

The other day, I was driving the cherokee my gf and I share (oh dear only 18 mpg!). Sandwiched between a brand new lifted toyota tundra and an 80s k10. The tundra was shiny, unblemished and k10 had a broken grill, mismatched hood, no lift, etc. When I think 'manly truck', I don't envision a smooth body, dent free, heated leather seats, and satellite radio. I'd take that k10 anyday because that's my idea of a truck.

I fucking love my 1987 K5. Yeah I love that I have 38" tires and a 7" lift, the rear swing out bumper so I can strap in a cooler, and a roof rack to hold my gear on expeditions. And I love that it's army surplus with all the electrical quirks that come with that.
And what I really love is that I can keep it running for less than payments for a new vehicle, easily.

So go ahead and judge me for spending on what I value. But boy I bet it gets cold up on the high horse.

In that case, you should pick from this list instead. : )

(I own a '96 Ford Ranger 4x4, 2.3L, manual -- literally the most fuel-efficient 4x4 pickup truck I could find, other than something new, expensive, and hybrid or diesel.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:44:04 PM by Jack »