Author Topic: I am starting over and need EVERYTHING  (Read 7108 times)

TexasBound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am starting over and need EVERYTHING
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
Hi, I made another thread which is more about salary / area / housing etc. as I am moving to Texas.

When I get there, I will not have any furniture, no TV, no pots or pans, etc. Long story. Essentially, I need everything.

As my goal is eventually getting into a condo or house, I will want the furniture and household items I buy to last and be high quality, especially my mattress and anything having to do with getting a good night's sleep. I am wondering what I should be looking to spend in total to get a decent quality living room and bedroom set factoring all this in. In addition, anything super useful like a 27 in 1 rice cooker, slow roaster, crock pot, etc.

I will also need a new TV, and am thinking 40-50 inch. However, I don't know the difference between all the variations and what is best right now. I have a PS4, so not sure it needs to be Smart enabled?

Last, but not least, a safe. I will be grabbing all my important documents from my mom before heading out and want to keep a safe in my closet while there. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: I am starting over and need EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
Do you have an Ikea store anywhere near? I find they have good mattrasses for reasonable prices. Our latex mattress from Ikea cost half of what it cost at a normal shop 10 years ago.
We also have many closets from there. They are not very cheap, but good quality and again a good price compared with other shops. I would shop elsewhere for a sofa.
Another options is looking for good quality used furniture. We just bought another dining table and chairs, both second hand, but good quality and still good looking.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
Not sure about your overall situation,but consider moving in with a roommate who has all the basis.  Then you'd only have to worry about bedroom stuff.

Thewolf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:01:31 PM »
Hi Mary,

I'm not sure what it's like in Texas (I'm from England) but if you want to move really cheaply I'd recommend Freecycle it's basically people giving away unused items for free so they don't end up in landfill sites... I've used freecycle in the past for kitchen items, garden furniture and tools etc. and everything has always worked fine. I just had a quick look on there and it looks like they do have some freecycle communities in Texas so maybe worth a look.
https://www.freecycle.org/browse/US/Texas
Hope this helps - Thewolf

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
When we started out (decades ago), we first rented a furnished apartment & slowly acquired what we wanted. Today you can do a short-term rental of furniture, but do not do rent-to-own. Search CraigsList. There's an Ikea in the outskirts of Dallas, Austin, & Houston -- we would have loved it in our apartment days. The first furnishings we bought were a bed (frame, headboard, mattress, & bedding) & a dresser. Newer apartments these days have bigger closets that can hold storage cubes or plastic drawers to take the place of a dresser.

Get an Instant Pot; it's electric & functions as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute, yogurt maker. Add additional pots & pans as you need them. A cast iron skillet is great & inexpensive -- just keep it dry & seasoned well. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
How big do you want your bed to be? Double beds are considerably cheaper than queens/kings in my experience, and the bedding is cheaper, too. Also, a mattress lasts just about as long, no matter what the price. Go to a bed store, and plop down on some.

Pick a color scheme. Go to the thrift store and buy a few random dishes in those colors, and some flatware, and a few glasses, and a couple of pots. Then go every week and upgrade until you have what you need. Crockpots and breadmakers are in the thriftstore all the damn time.

Keep your eyes open for decent furniture. You'll get better solid wood furniture secondhand than anyplace else.

Why do you need a safe? Buy a fireproof lockbox for your papers, if they are that critical.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 09:29:39 PM »
In addition, anything super useful like a 27 in 1 rice cooker, slow roaster, crock pot, etc.

Instant Pot.

Palindrome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:04:19 AM »
Hi Mary,

I'm not sure what it's like in Texas (I'm from England) but if you want to move really cheaply I'd recommend Freecycle it's basically people giving away unused items for free so they don't end up in landfill sites... I've used freecycle in the past for kitchen items, garden furniture and tools etc. and everything has always worked fine. I just had a quick look on there and it looks like they do have some freecycle communities in Texas so maybe worth a look.
https://www.freecycle.org/browse/US/Texas
Hope this helps - Thewolf

Agree, FreeCycle is great. There's also The Buy Nothing project, which I've only heard of, don't have personal experience with, and don't know if a local chapter exists in your area.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
I am starting over and need EVERYTHING
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
1) Put the word out when you get there. Most people have stuff in their attics and garages they don't need. They would love to give it to someone who will take it away.  My husband furnished his first apartment that way.
2) Locate a Goodwill Outlet store near you. These stores sell items by the pound. Lhamo got lots of stuff for her apartment there.
3) Freecycle and craigslist.
4) Be patient. It's much more expensive to try to get everything all at once.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:50:38 AM by pbkmaine »

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
If you are on Facebook, look to join a local yard sale group for your area. Similarly to Craigslist, people in the group sell tons of household items that they are looking to unload, and since they are by area, most people are just a short distance away. There is a good amount of trinkets, clothes and junk to sift through, but there is some really good stuff on there as well. If you are looking for something specific, say, dishes, you can post that to the group as well and folks will respond with what dishes they have for sale. I have had a good emount of success with these.

Jschange

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
Go very slowly and deliberately. Get a bed frame or platform, mattress and cheerful bedding. Have a well appointed bathroom and some kitchen basics (ERE has a short list - I need more than he does, but it is a start). Pick up a temporary dining set from freecycle or a neighbour or contact. When you have people over, explain "I'm so happy you're here. and yes, it looks a little bare, but I want to find my dream couch, and it is taking a while to find one I love"

I preach the bible of cheap ikea mattresses plus optional memory foam. I am 5 months into this apartment and don't have the TV or tv unit thingy yet. I got the sofa early on and it makes me so, so happy. The upgraded permanent dining set last month - also fills me with joy and is good quality at a good price.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
As an old pro at moving -

If you slow down and get stuff along the way second-hand/thrift/donated & specific (new) purchases, then you can figure out while you are living there what you need and what you don't (but you think you do in advance). There is always something you think you need that you totally won't and there is always something you don't think of but need to take care of pretty quickly.

If you have an "eventual" housing goal, it means you aren't moving into your long-term space now. If I remember from your other thread, this is a company transfer/opportunity? So you may move again for jobs or don't even know if you'll live being in Texas? Remember - everything you get now, you will have to move. Moving costs money and time. Way more than you think. Planning to eventually buy a condo or a house is the WORST reason to buy top quality now, since you have no idea what your needs will be in that living space AND you'll have to move everything.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 12:09:40 PM »
I'd echo everyone else about buying used and taking your time with major purchases. A mattress should be new so as to avoid any chance of bugs, but otherwise, go for used, thrift, etc.

I took a peek at your other thread and saw that you'd be taking a car. I'd suggest packing up a box of basics before you go. Your mother or some friends may have unwanted things if you don't. Think in terms of things you'd need for camping in an empty apartment for the first weekend: silverware for one, a coffee mug, a plate, a bowl, a kitchen knife or at least a steak knife, a cutting board or at least a spare sturdy plate, a travel mug that can also be used in the car, a medium saucepan, a can opener, a wooden or plastic spoon for cooking, a roll of toilet paper, a roll of kitchen towels, a bath towel, and soap. If you have space to be more elaborate, you could bring a sleeping bag or an air mattress and a set of bedding, a frying pan, a folding table, a folding chair, a sponge, dish-washing fluid, measuring cups, a bottle opener, and a French press or coffeemaker. If you bring that much, you can take as much time as you need to pick out other things when you get to Texas and get a better sense of the place you'll be living and the options that are available.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
In addition, anything super useful like a 27 in 1 rice cooker, slow roaster, crock pot, etc.

Instant Pot.
Was going to say this, but I see Redbird and I think alike. Buy it new, buy it on Black Friday. I have two, use them often and they were worth every Amazon Prime Day penny

Everything else:
Join a Buy Nothing Group (F/B thing, I think)
NextDoor
Freecycle
Estate Sales (perfect for your situation, as you can get stuff cheap that you normally have to buy new.)
Garage Sales
Craigslist
Word of Mouth

Don't worry about quality too much at this point, because what you buy may not fit/work in your next home. Buy/get cheaply enough and you can always sell it for what you paid or better.

As to Ikea: see what you might want to buy from there and then se3arch for it by name on CL. Works like a charm because Ikea sells so much of the same stuff to so many people.

I think there might be other F/B options, but I have no desire for F/B in my life, so others may be of more help there.

Edited to add: Plus everything that Kwill said. Great advice!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:25:04 PM by Diane C »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
We are huge fans of estate sales.  If you stick to the older, wealthier parts of town, you will find older, high quality furnishings.  They usually have sliding scales on prices.  The first day is full price: probably the highest amount they think they can get for it used in current condition.  Second day is usually 25% off first day price.  Third day is 50% off.

As for the safe: I would NOT buy that until I had found my permanent residence.  I have moved a few of these and they are a little challenging to move.  You'll probably want a truck with a lift gate, a few strong folks and a bunch of PVC (or golf balls) to use as bearings.  And do not buy a smaller safe that is easy to move.  The entire point of a safe is that it is hard to move.  It should optimally be 750lbs (or heavier) and 10ga steel (or heavier).

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
For important papers, get a fireproof strong box.  Smaller and less expensive than a full size safe.  I use something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/SentrySafe-0-17-cu-ft-Fire-Resistant-and-Waterproof-Chest-with-Key-Lock-in-Black-H0100/204171777

There are plenty of resale/thrift stores in the Fort Worth area, and they have tons of cheap dishes.  If you're squeamish about using used dishes, you do it every time you eat out. 

As for furniture, you don't know what you will need for this future home.  I would recommend just the basics for now.  There are plenty of discount furniture places around here.  Not the best quality, but it will get you through the next few years, or longer if you take care of it. 

Watch all the buy/sell sights that have already been mentioned.  People who need the latest electronics will sell a 1-2 year old item cheap. 

Slow down and don't worry about the little details.  You need food, shelter, and a place to sleep.   The rest is little details. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »

Instant Pot.

THIS on the Instant Pot.  They're much cheaper than they used to be and they're just AWESOME.

TexasBound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 05:20:28 PM »
Appreciate all the responses, I'm thinking of splurging on a good mattress / headboard and then going slowly on other items.

The biggest theme is to get things from yard sales / recycled / etc.

The biggest obstacle: my car is exceptionally small. If I rented a truck for a day to assist, then I can't do the long and slow method. I saw great deals at Costco on 55 inch TV's, but the box will literally not fit inside my car.

Rockies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 08:34:34 PM »
I second not needing a TV. If you already have a laptop that should allow you to view as much video content as you need. Youtube is free and there is a lot of awesome content. Trust me - you wont be bored. If you really need more to watch try sharing a netflix account with some friends for low cost entertainment. Focus on the mattress and get basics from a thrift store so you can cook (1 pot, 1 frying pan, utensils, a few mugs and a few plates). You can spend time expanding this over time.

You will always need an unexpected amount of basics so go to Ikea first and be prepared to spend 100 bucks  on things like garbage cans, shower curtains, sheets, pillows, lamps, etc that you can't immediately find at a thrift store. After you have the basics I think you will realize you don't need everything at once and can wait for awesome bargains to come up on craigslist (or just make friends and usually they will have things they want to give away).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »
Can't you have some big stuff delivered at your house for a reasonable sum? E.g. buy it online. We have bought a new, large refrigerator online and had it delivered at home. That in total was cheaper than buying it in the nearby shop and collecting it ourselves by car.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 06:30:56 AM »
I wish I saw this a week ago. Depending on your part of Texas I probably had a bunch of stuff I didn't need but movers are packing everything today.  Craiglist is good in Texas, lots of people give furniture away cheap or free. 

As far as TVs go look into projectors.  Benq makes some good home ones and then you just need a screen and it's usually way cheaper than a tv. My 92 inch screen on amazon was $200 and my projector was $500. HD TV for less than half what my 47 inch smart TV cost before I found MMM.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
It costs $25/$30 to rent a U-Haul van for an afternoon. This works out most economically if you have several large things to haul on the same afternoon, or share it with a friend.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
It costs $25/$30 to rent a U-Haul van for an afternoon. This works out most economically if you have several large things to haul on the same afternoon, or share it with a friend.

Also - you are moving to Texas. You will have coworkers, neighbors and friends who own pick-up trucks. A lot of them. Cost to borrow the truck: a six-pack of beer or equivalent.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »
I'd highly recommend not getting things until you NEED them.  90% of the stuff in a kitchen you are never going to miss, for example. Same with your third set of bath towels, etc.

And for general furnishings, there is no need to get everything at once.  We had lawn chairs for 3 months at our new house until a free couch showed up. We kept that couch for a year while we saved for a more desirable one.