Author Topic: I am new to driving stick shift and I keep lugging the engine  (Read 9268 times)

El_Viajero

• Stubble
I'm in my 30s and just learned to drive a manual for the first time. One problem I'm having is that whenever I slow down for a traffic light that turns green before I come to a full stop or when I make a turn and I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear, the engine drops to below 1 rpm and I start lugging the engine to get going again. I'm well aware that this is bad. What should I do? Shift into 1st while still moving - even while I'm taking the turn? Should I modify my driving style? This happens more often when I start going uphill from a very slow speed.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I am new to driving stick shift and I keep lugging the engine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
Every car is geared differently, that said it sounds like in both cases, you are in "too high of a gear". 

Typically when making a turn from a near stop (unless on a freeway, parkway or at a high speed), you would do so in second gear.  Typically, if you're not stopped, you shouldn't need to go all the way to first gear, but again, it depends on the car (with more experience, you'll get better at staying higher without bucking...).

If you're slowing down approaching a light, you need to downshift as necessary; again it depends on the car.  Typically, much below 25mph, you might need to go down to 2nd gear to avoid "bucking".  While you're learning, if you want, you can just step on the clutch or throw it in neutral if she's bucking and just brake (not wonderful for your brakes...).

Going uphill from a stop is one of the most challenging.  You have to strike a balance between "riding the clutch" (too much wear on the clutch) and letting it out too fast (which causes "buck" or stalling).  Yes, from a low speed or certainly from a stop, you might use 1st gear.  You'll have to experiment.  Try not to burnout the clutch...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:35:39 PM by frugaliknowit »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
If the car is moving, its usually okay to use 2nd.  At least that's how most cars are geared.  You can lug the car a bit, just don't give it a ton of throttle while you're at low RPMs.  If I'm cruising around a parking lot on 2nd, sometimes I'll slip the clutch a bit when I have to slow down and I know I'm about to speed back up again. 

I think you'll have a hard time shifting to 1st because while most cars are synchronized into 1st gear now, 1st is usually really short and the revs will have to come up a lot of match the speed. 

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
Every car is geared differently, that said it sounds like in both cases, you are in "too high of a gear". 

Thanks. This happens most often when I am in 2nd gear. So should I shift to 1st while the car is still moving and I'm going, say... 5 to 10 mph? Shifting into 1st seems like a weird thing to do during a turn.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Maybe if you have a very high first gear...probably not, especially at 10mph...generally, you NEVER shift down to first unless, say you are going to go up a steep ramp in a parking garage...typically if you are slowing down, you just stay in second, then eventually brake and step on the clutch while you stop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:41:26 PM by frugaliknowit »

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »
If the car is moving, its usually okay to use 2nd.  At least that's how most cars are geared.  You can lug the car a bit, just don't give it a ton of throttle while you're at low RPMs.  If I'm cruising around a parking lot on 2nd, sometimes I'll slip the clutch a bit when I have to slow down and I know I'm about to speed back up again. 

I think you'll have a hard time shifting to 1st because while most cars are synchronized into 1st gear now, 1st is usually really short and the revs will have to come up a lot of match the speed.

That's the thing. I'm usually already in 2nd gear when this happens.

What does it mean to slip the clutch? Sorry, I'm still learning the lingo. Is that what I'm doing when I shift into first from a stop or when I use the clutch like a brake while in reverse?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
Just avoid giving it much throttle and you should be fine staying in second gear for the short period of time it's lugging. It does vary by car, but in mine I use second gear as low as 7 or 8 mph. For lower speeds I will shift down to first even if I don't come to a complete stop. It's just more difficult to get a smooth transition so I treat it about the same as I would driving away from a stop (give it some throttle and let out the clutch smoothly to avoid sudden deceleration).

While cornering shifting down to first can disrupt the handling of the car, so I avoid doing that if possible. Try to shift down to first before the corner or carry more speed into it in second to avoid lugging.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
What does it mean to slip the clutch? Sorry, I'm still learning the lingo. Is that what I'm doing when I shift into first from a stop or when I use the clutch like a brake while in reverse?

When you slip the clutch, you're letting there be a difference between the engine speed and transmission speed.  Basically, you push the clutch in a little bit, like right to the friction zone (where the clutch "bites") and you allow the revs to come up a bit. 

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
I know this is not really recommended, but if you are bucking really bad in second gear at very low speeds you could pop it into neutral, coast a bit, and then pop it back into gear when you are ready to start accelerating. Now, you will have less control (because you won't be in gear!) but you'll also won't buck. I (personally) wouldn't ever go down into first unless I was close to stopping (like at a light) and already moving pretty slowly, because the your rpms will jump way up and you'll slow really uncomfortably abruptly. Unless your car is geared kind of strangely.

Also I just want to say, if you just learned to drive standard, don't beat yourself up too much!! There is definitely a learning curve and you will definitely grind some gears or stall out occasionally. Once you've gotten the feel of it you will find driving standard much more satisfying than driving automatic, you feel more engaged in the process and much more connected to the road and to the conditions. At least, I feel that way. ;)

405programmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
I think I know the speed range you're talking about! You're still rolling forward so going into 1st is jumpy because the RPMs need to come up but going into 2nd lugs the motor because the RPMs need to come down. The 2 things you can do to make the transition a little smoother is either rev match the RPMs higher and shift into 1st. ( If you're about to accelerate hard onto a highway ) Or, shift into 2nd and more slowly release the clutch like you would from a dead stop. This causes a little more slippage and thus wear on your clutch but is almost always smoother. Plus your clutch is a wear item on the car. It's like break pads; they're both made to wear out eventually.

As long as you aren't hard on the throttle while your clutch is at the friction point you're probably doing it right.

Rob_bob

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
If you are lugging the engine it means you are going too slow for the gear you are in. If you are too slow in 2nd gear then shift to 1st, simple as that, the car is telling you what it needs. Any time you are shifting to a lower gear it is helpfull the raise the engine RPM some, it makes a smoother shift with less wear on the clutch. Most truck drivers don't even use the clutch once the truck is rolling, they match the engine RPM to the road speed for the gear they are using.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
If my memory serves, I was taught not to ever downshift to 1st while in motion. 

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
I miss driving a standard. I bought my first automatic a year and a half ago, after 22 years of only driving standards. I miss the mental engagement.

The biggest overall difference is that being in control of the gearing means you have to plan several steps ahead to a much greater degree than when the car takes care of the gearing for you. For example, when approaching a red light in a standard I leave more distance between my front bumper and the car ahead so I can downshift smoothly to a stop. But I have to plan this in advance and pay close attention while I'm doing it so I don't either stall the car, or hit the car in front of me.

I know this kind of thing pisses off the people behind me, because everyone tends to just ride the bumper of the car in front of them these days, but it makes for a smoother drive and is easier on the clutch and brakes.

Same philosophy goes for sharp curves and steep hills. Plan ahead and put the car in a lower gear before the RPM's drop too low. Or raise the RPM's a bit before entering the curve.

With time, you'll be able to feel and hear your car's RPMs and won't ever look at the RPM gauge. At this point, driving becomes kind of a full body experience.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:35 PM »
I miss driving a stick shift too.  The only reason I don't have one is the cruise control doesn't work as well with a stick as with an automatic.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 06:01:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses. I'm a little embarrassed because a lot of you spent time trying to help, and I think I had the problem all wrong. The engine wasn't lugging because I was in 2nd gear and going slow. It's because I was putting the car into 4th gear and thinking I was putting it into 2nd! 4th gear wasn't giving me enough torque to climb out of my sub-1K RPM hole without a fight.

This seems like a dumb problem, I know, but I think I just wasn't shifting leftward enough and was throwing the car into 4th by accident. After posting that first message today, I drove home and realized that this is what I may have been doing. To test it out, I decelerated to a very low speed and put the car into 2nd gear. Then I watched as the RPMs shot up – way higher than 1K RPMs. No lugging. No problem.

I guess I just need to get a better feel for the shifter. Eventually, my wife might even stop making fun of how I drive. 18 years with only an automatic transmission tends to create habits...

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
Good on you for trying, stick shift driving is becoming a lost art.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
I miss driving a stick shift too.  The only reason I don't have one is the cruise control doesn't work as well with a stick as with an automatic.

When was the last time you used cruise with a stick? My Audi manual works great on cruise; in fact, it works much better than the cruise for the Toyota automatic (but that's not saying much).

TrMama

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
Glad you got it figured out. There's no shame in making a mistake, and you're already miles ahead of all the people who refuse to even try driving the best way.

Anytime I get into an unfamiliar standard, I start the engine and then shift into every single gear (1 through 5 and then back again) while my foot is still on the clutch. It helps program the exact location of each gear into my muscle memory. Try doing it every time you get in the car, until you can do it blindfolded.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »

When was the last time you used cruise with a stick? My Audi manual works great on cruise; in fact, it works much better than the cruise for the Toyota automatic (but that's not saying much).

It has been a long time.  I had a cruise control on a Mazda GLC back in college, over 30 years ago.  I just assumed that since they can't shift gears when needed that hills would still be an issue. 
I need to return a VW diesel Sportwagon by yearend and will likely get another Sportwagon.  I'll test a manual while I'm shopping.  I spend a good bit of time in the mountains, but probably wouldn't use the CC there much anyway. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »

It has been a long time.  I had a cruise control on a Mazda GLC back in college, over 30 years ago.  I just assumed that since they can't shift gears when needed that hills would still be an issue.

Worst case scenario you can downshift yourself and reset cruise control as necessary.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 12:19:14 AM »
When I approach a corner in third gear, I usually push down the brake pedal, push down the clutch pedal and put gear stick in second gear. When I go slowly enough, I let the clutch pedal come up slowly. This way the new gear smoothly makes contact with motor that has different speed. Then I take the corner. Past the corner I accelerate again.

Yes, one could also slow down using the lower gear. I usually don't do that for corners. But again, if you want to use lower gear to slow down, when letting the gear pedal come up, do it very smoothly.

Where I got my license, you have different licenses for automatic cars. If you only have the automatic license, you may not drive a manual car without getting an additional license. Probably because you need some practice.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:17 AM »
You'll get much smoother at changing gears. I would suggest a change down from fourth to second going around a corner and brake down your speed at the same time, then be in third coming out of the corner. You don't have to be in gear every second of your drive, you know. The car will just keep rolling forward. I often glide up to lights out of gear (with the clutch pedal down is what I mean), I glide around corners out of gear often as well and then re-engage to accelerate out of the corner etc etc. I usually change down while I'm out of gear, and sometimes end up changing up again before reengaging. You get used to the sound of your engine and you'll know that it wants third instead if second even if you've slowed a little.

Just remember what gears are for
First is for moving the car from stationary and is the hardest working gear. For starting the car from a standstill after traffic lights etc, or for use on a VERY steep hill. You can also park your car in first gear if you're on a hill facing downhill. Your car isn't going to roll, even if the handbrake fails. Not unless the gear box also fails.
Second is for corners and traffic, and will be hard enough working to do most hills
Third is the acceleration gear, for out of corners.
Fourth is around town, where there's a lot of stop start.
Fifth is anytime you're going to be driving the same speed, say over 50km/hour for more than 15 minutes. Think motorways and open road. I would suggest finding fifth BEFORE you get on the open road. There is no worse sound than your car engine changing from fourth to third at 70km/hour. Taught teenage boy to drive. Sigh.
Reverse is obviously reversing, or the gear you leave your car in when you're parked pointing uphill. Reverse is basically first gear backwards, so it's quite powerful. You don't want to reverse or first for long periods because you'll chew through the petrol.

Turn your radio off while you're starting off with a stick shift. You need to be aware of your engine revs and hearing them is a lot easier than checking the dial while you're driving.

I've never driven anything but a stick shift and I've been driving for 30 years, before anyone starts whining about my bad habits!

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
I glide around corners out of gear often as well and then re-engage to accelerate out of the corner etc etc.

Gah, I hate when I'm riding with people that do this.  Its okay if you're going walking pace/about to stall speed, but most people bog, jerk the car or have to slip the clutch a whole bunch coming out of the corner. 

Learning to rev-match was the best thing I ever did driving-wise, it makes things a lot smoother, though that's a bit more of an advanced technique.  Picking the right gears takes priority of that. 

OP, eventually your footwork can look like mine:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzLjZWrpzmQ
okay okay, that's Ayrton Senna, not me...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:35:54 PM by rothwem »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
I grew up in a country where I only knew one person with a car equipped with an automatic transmission.

I never, ever, shifted to 1st unless moving away from a stop. That was something I never saw anyone else do, either.

Also, and I don't know why they don't teach this in the US, when coming to a stop going uphill, disengage the clutch, pull the handbrake (or emergency brake, as it's called here), and leave the car in 1st. When starting off again, you can ease the brake off as you let the clutch out and give it gas, and off you go.

Some cars (I think Subarus all have this) have a hill start mechanism that will prevent the car rolling back even if you don't use the handbrake.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
I glide around corners out of gear often as well and then re-engage to accelerate out of the corner etc etc.

Gah, I hate when I'm riding with people that do this.  Its okay if you're going walking pace/about to stall speed, but most people bog, jerk the car or have to slip the clutch a whole bunch coming out of the corner. 

Learning to rev-match was the best thing I ever did driving-wise, it makes things a lot smoother, though that's a bit more of an advanced technique.  Picking the right gears takes priority of that. 

OP, eventually your footwork can look like mine:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/kzLjZWrpzmQ
okay okay, that's Ayrton Senna, not me...

Hahah, I know what you mean but I never do that. I'm the person who's in fourth by the time I get through the intersection I stopped for a red light at, and I got there by going through every gear. I also don't use the brake if I need to stop on an incline. I just use the clutch point of engagement to hold my place. And I've obviously changed down to first on my way to said stop, so I'm just easing the clutch up and accelerator down to move. I paddle the two for entertainment if I'm in a traffic queue, rather than brake/first/second/brake/first etc.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 06:39:35 AM »
I also don't use the brake if I need to stop on an incline. I just use the clutch point of engagement to hold my place.

This is a terrible habit and will wear out your clutch.

Eowyn_MI

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
The engine wasn't lugging because I was in 2nd gear and going slow. It's because I was putting the car into 4th gear and thinking I was putting it into 2nd! 4th gear wasn't giving me enough torque to climb out of my sub-1K RPM hole without a fight.

This reminds me of the first time I was learning to drive a stick shift with my dad as a teenager.  A traffic light stopped me in the left turn lane going up a fairly significant hill.  When the light turned green, I attempted to start off quickly due to the hill and immediately stalled out.  After another attempt stalled out in the same way, my dad told me to really give it some gas.  So I hit the gas hard and finally lurched through the intersection, tires squealing loudly.  When I went to shift into second gear, the car bucked again and the gears sounded annoyed.  This was when Dad realized that I had been trying to start uphill in third gear the whole time!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
I also don't use the brake if I need to stop on an incline. I just use the clutch point of engagement to hold my place.

Replacing a clutch yourself will teach you to treat them right.  I learned that lesson on a 67' Corvette.  That was a chore to do without a lift! 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
Also, and I don't know why they don't teach this in the US, when coming to a stop going uphill, disengage the clutch, pull the handbrake (or emergency brake, as it's called here), and leave the car in 1st. When starting off again, you can ease the brake off as you let the clutch out and give it gas, and off you go.

I'll have to practice that.

On really steep hills, I let the car roll backwards a touch to warn the driver pulling up behind me. Even a slight slip is only 1-2 feet so it's not a serious problem.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »

THIS!  Nothing beats the satisfaction of smoothly using two feet and your right hand to take off from a stop sign on a hill. I drove a buddy's GTI with the hill hold feature and it totally feels like cheating.  e-brake take off or nothing!

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 02:32:36 PM »

Worst case scenario you can downshift yourself and reset cruise control as necessary.

Yup, this.  I installed cruise on my stick (with my Dad's help) because once a year I take a long roadtrip (~1000 miles one way).  Most of the highway driving is fine, but there are sections that you just have to be aware require shifting to get over the hills, such as going through the Appalachians east-west in West Virginia and Maryland.  (Turns out the north-south travel in WV is fine, as you're going with the hills.)  Keeps the driver alert.

Feral Car Rescue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
I guess I just need to get a better feel for the shifter. Eventually, my wife might even stop making fun of how I drive. 18 years with only an automatic transmission tends to create habits...

Based on my experience/ anecdotal evidence from others, it seems to be harder to go from driving automatic to driving manual (especially if you've driven automatic for a long time), as opposed to the other way round. Unfortunately it's just something you have to practice, but once you get it, it's a lot of fun.

THIS!  Nothing beats the satisfaction of smoothly using two feet and your right hand to take off from a stop sign on a hill. I drove a buddy's GTI with the hill hold feature and it totally feels like cheating.  e-brake take off or nothing!

NGL I do this on even the tiniest of hills because I'm a complete chicken about rolling backwards. It's great for quick takeoffs, too... :)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
I just remembered a funny incident that happened the first time I drove an automatic. I had only been in the country a few weeks, and needed to get to a job interview, so I borrowed my cousin's Chrysler LeBaron.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I drove towards a parking spot, glanced at the shifter and thought "Oh yeah, time to park", and threw the shifter into the P position. Imagine my surprise when the car locked up and slid into the parking spot :)  Luckily, I didn't damage it.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
Yup, this.  I installed cruise on my stick (with my Dad's help) because once a year I take a long roadtrip (~1000 miles one way).  Most of the highway driving is fine, but there are sections that you just have to be aware require shifting to get over the hills, such as going through the Appalachians east-west in West Virginia and Maryland.  (Turns out the north-south travel in WV is fine, as you're going with the hills.)  Keeps the driver alert.

Wait. Wot. You can install cruise on a stick?! I mean, I know you can get it factory installed (on some makes/models), but you can do it yourself? (Or presumably have someone do it for you?)

!!!!!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 07:21:10 PM »

Wait. Wot. You can install cruise on a stick?! I mean, I know you can get it factory installed (on some makes/models), but you can do it yourself? (Or presumably have someone do it for you?)

!!!!!
[/quote]

I bought an OEM one from Mazda back in the 80's for my Mazda GLC (later named 323).  It was plug-n-play simple to install.  A 20-30 minute job. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »

Undoubtedly. I have many, many terrible driving habits.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

!!!!!

I bought an OEM one from Mazda back in the 80's for my Mazda GLC (later named 323).  It was plug-n-play simple to install.  A 20-30 minute job.

Yep, my Kia Soul is exactly the same, plug-n-play.  In addition, the Kia Soul forums are extensive, to the point where I found the exact part numbers needed and instructions for installation, including pictures.  The hardest part was getting the dang steering wheel off.  I ended up needing to borrow a puller from AutoZone.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
Granny shifting and not double clutching like you should.....

<shakes head>

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »

I was considering buying a Ford Ranger once, manual transmission.

Guess what - they don't have a hand brake. They have the emergency/parking brake pedal with a hand release, just like in the automatic version.

So if you want to do a hill start, you have to put the truck in neutral with your right foot on the brake pedal, put your left foot on the parking brake to engage it, then move the left foot to the clutch, put the truck in first... and when you can go, use your left hand to release the parking brake while using your feet on the clutch and accelerator as usual.

Barmy.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 05:00:28 AM »

Guess what - they don't have a hand brake. They have the emergency/parking brake pedal with a hand release, just like in the automatic version.

So if you want to do a hill start, you have to put the truck in neutral with your right foot on the brake pedal, put your left foot on the parking brake to engage it, then move the left foot to the clutch, put the truck in first... and when you can go, use your left hand to release the parking brake while using your feet on the clutch and accelerator as usual.

Barmy.

Yeah, that's a little too complicated for everyday use :)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »

Barmy.

Or you could use a similar technique to heel and toe braking that us roadracers use all the time.  Heel on the brake.  Toe to blip the throttle as needed.  Left foot for the clutch.  Of course, if you're just learning how to drive a manual transmission, this is not as easy as it sounds.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 06:56:01 AM »

Barmy.

Or you could use a similar technique to heel and toe braking that us roadracers use all the time.  Heel on the brake.  Toe to blip the throttle as needed.  Left foot for the clutch.  Of course, if you're just learning how to drive a manual transmission, this is not as easy as it sounds.

When starting on a hill, I typically will start to let the clutch out a little until I see the RPMs just start to drop.  Then you know the clutch is starting to engaging and it typically will hold the car from rolling backwards as you let your foot off the brake.  This all happens in less than a second, so its not damaging the clutch, it simply gets you right to the point where the clutch has started to engage so that you can start off without rolling backwards.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

Barmy.

That's not how heel and toe works... The actual technique is shown in the video posted by rothwem earlier in this thread. In heel and toe you brake with the left side of your right foot and rotate it towards the throttle pedal so the the right side of the foot blips it. Your heel is actually not used at all! The name kept me from being able to properly execute the technique for years...

Heel and toe is used for rev-matching a downshift while braking. When executed properly it keeps the car from being disrupted by the downshift and reduces wear and tear on the clutch. It wasn't really intended for pulling away from a stop on a hill.

I personally just move my foot quickly from the brake to the throttle on a hill instead of using any special techniques. If you want to avoid the handbrake technique for whatever reason (e.g. you have a footbrake instead) you could hold the brake pedal while letting the clutch out and then quickly move to the throttle at the point you feel the clutch catching (revs start dropping).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
I personally just move my foot quickly from the brake to the throttle on a hill instead of using any special techniques. If you want to avoid the handbrake technique for whatever reason (e.g. you have a footbrake instead) you could hold the brake pedal while letting the clutch out and then quickly move to the throttle at the point you feel the clutch catching (revs start dropping).

That's what I do. I usually end up revving the engine far higher than it should go at a light but it gets the job done.