Author Topic: I am free but how do I figure out my goals?  (Read 8188 times)

GemJedi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am free but how do I figure out my goals?
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »
I have achieved financial freedom. My investments create enough income to live on. Yay. But now I find myself questioning if this freedom comes at the expense of motivation.

As background I am an attorney. I practice the kind of law that I generally like but being an attorney is not really a happy profession.  I help my clients get the money they are owed by insurance companies. When I am finished and they get paid the claim that was originally denied, they seem thankful for my services. But I realize that my fee is setting them back money they should not have to pay if the insurer had just come through in the first place like they promised. And in the rare cases I lose, I tend to get devastated by the injustice. So what, nothing is perfect right? But the thing is I don't need to work for the money, I need to work to stay busy and be fulfilled. And at the end of the day I am not sure fighting with other attorneys all the time, reassuring clients in financial distress, and feeling guilty over my fees is that fulfilling. What I like about it though is that it keeps me busy but I control my schedule. I can take long weekends or vacations without worry. And it is a solid gig in the eyes of society so I don't look like I am a country club shrub.

I used to be a practicing jewelry craftsman. I enjoyed that a lot. Except the part where the industry goes nuts in December and no one is allowed to take vacations during the time when most people, including me, want to take vacations. So I am reluctant to go back to that.

My mindset is not tuned in right to the freedom to do whatever I want. When I was young and hungry I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted to become the best goldsmith around, big shot designer. I did that. Then when I realized the financial gains were not so great I went to law school. I would have told you then that I wanted to be a big shot with a big practice, lots of prestige, money, etc. So after law school I struck off on my own and did well by myself. That lead me to now, wondering what to do going forward. The thought of getting really big in law scares me though because 1) as I said law is not that happy so bigger law will probably be even less happy and 2) I am 49 and the 16 or so years until 65 don't really seem that long and I don't want to make a mistake creating something not happy.

I sometimes think about famous musicians who make hit records and achieve fame while young. But then I wonder where they went, why they stopped creating hits? With the talent they obviously have it would seem that age would be kind to their creativity and their songwriting would get better over time. But generally they fade into obscurity as they get older. I wonder if it is simply a truth that hunger makes us succeed and success makes us lethargic and seek comfort.

I feel like perhaps one would feel by inheriting money but then losing motivation. Even Mr. Money Mustache has posted about the evil of giving children all your money only to rob them of motivation. Perhaps financial freedom at any age does this and that is what I am grappling with.

I recognize that consumerism is not the answer to my happiness and I appreciated the posts Mr. Money Mustache posted in that regard.

I just wonder if there are resources or reading material that speaks to my low motivation and how to create a new goal when I am no longer hungry?

Thanks.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I am free but how do I figure out my goals?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:05 AM »
I know nothing about the jewellery market, but it strikes me that this bolded part...

I used to be a practicing jewelry craftsman. I enjoyed that a lot. Except the part where the industry goes nuts in December and no one is allowed to take vacations during the time when most people, including me, want to take vacations. So I am reluctant to go back to that.

...would completely cease to be a problem if you didn't have an employer.

When you say you have achieved financial freedom, is there enough wiggle room to set yourself up as a jewellery craftsperson who works for themselves? Even some of the good jewellery on places like Etsy seem to go for quite a bit of money.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »

You should read MMM's post on a life lived off peak.

Why would you want to take a holiday when everyone else is? Hell is other people!

I sometimes think about famous musicians who make hit records and achieve fame while young. But then I wonder where they went, why they stopped creating hits?

They all died at 27. From Kurt Cobain to Amy Winehouse. None make it past 27.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »
Could you do some psuedo-lawyer volunteer work in a non-money-related field? A family friend was a child's advocate for awhile in the court system. Not exactly happy work, but you could be a huge help with your background, and it's part time.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
After reading a very interesting post on this subject by Trent Hamm over at TheSimpleDollar, I started looking hard at the things I want to spend money on.  He suggested that this meant it was something you wanted to do and weren't getting enough of.  I found that to be the case and modified my life accordingly. 

So I would take a hard look at your discretionary spending.  What have you bought in the last year or so?  It will tell you a lot about where your mind is at.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
After reading a very interesting post on this subject by Trent Hamm over at TheSimpleDollar, I started looking hard at the things I want to spend money on.  He suggested that this meant it was something you wanted to do and weren't getting enough of.  I found that to be the case and modified my life accordingly. 

So I would take a hard look at your discretionary spending.  What have you bought in the last year or so?  It will tell you a lot about where your mind is at.

Yeah, for me this makes a ton of sense.  Traveling, climbing, snowboarding, surfing, camping.  Yep, that's where I want to spend my money and time, alright.

GemJedi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
Some very thought provoking responses, thank you.

I have thought about doing something with jewelry on my terms as suggested. The thing is that it is a very expensive thing to do as a hobby.  You really need a store if you create custom pieces, otherwise a lot of money gets tied up in inventory with little chance of selling. I have considered teaching in some capacity as I found that a rewarding part of having achieved a high level of competency.

As far as the law, yes I find some parts fulfilling but a lot of law is just grinding through adversity caused by intransigent insurance companies. Right now I have a nice specialty niche that is not being served. I think perhaps I can continue to take on a few of the better cases and just keep the practice going part time.

I think the angst I was feeling that caused me to make this post revolved around the fact that monetary freedom allows you to not work, but work creates some fulfillment in life.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »
Hah  friend of mine was (is) a famous musician.

Played with Arthur Lee and Love in the early 70's.

I asked him why he isn't doing it now? His answer.. "you wouldn't get me me back to that crazy lifestyle for millions of dollars.. You earn millions of buck and its an INSANE lifestyle.. It basically sucks!"

Oh yeah and one of his close friends was non other than Jimmi Hendrix.

OK I guess being an engineer wasn't so bad after all..:)

Frank

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »
Musicians stop after awhile (and not all or even most) because playing gigs at 10pm is tiring. That's my bedtime and I'm 31. I enjoy singing and thought about singing more when I retire but not if it means touring or singing in the evening. Maybe I'll just put videos on youtube. There are always options.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »
I have thought about doing something with jewelry on my terms as suggested. The thing is that it is a very expensive thing to do as a hobby.  You really need a store if you create custom pieces, otherwise a lot of money gets tied up in inventory with little chance of selling. I have considered teaching in some capacity as I found that a rewarding part of having achieved a high level of competency.

I think the angst I was feeling that caused me to make this post revolved around the fact that monetary freedom allows you to not work, but work creates some fulfillment in life.
I (maybe naively) think that jewelery could be a very doable internet store rather than one with real bricks and mortar - especially if you didn't do rings.

This "work creates fulfillment in life" thought is what worried me a lot before I retired. Then I decided I was going to set up an internet business, and did all sorts of things to prepare. But it hasn't happened, and it probably won't, and I get a lot of fulfillment in other ways.

GemJedi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »
I can either make one-of-a-kind pieces and try to sell them in whatever venue, online or brick and mortar, or as you suggest try to do custom online. What I had originally said was that the first way of having an inventory to sell is a fairly expensive proposition from an inventory perspective. Just creating pieces because I feel like creating them, without also having a way to sell them, is a costly hobby.

Your suggestion about doing custom is a good one from the perspective of not having inventory, just making to order. I am very good at doing that face to face. I find out what they are looking for, draw sketches, show them samples, and gain their confidence through my ability to give timely information and advice. In fact for a while as I was transitioning to law full time, I worked as a shop manager for a Jared. The store people would bring me out onto the sales floor for the stated purpose of selling the custom mounting but really they were more interested in my selling the $20,000 diamond than the $3,000 mounting. (I know, punch me in the nose for selling unnecessary crap to people). I am very good at this. Doing it online, however, is more difficult. Jewelry is a face to face experience and gaining trust online seems unlikely. I suppose that with enough time one could become a sought out expert so that people would look past the impersonal delivery of the internet.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

I can either make one-of-a-kind pieces and try to sell them in whatever venue, online or brick and mortar, or as you suggest try to do custom online. What I had originally said was that the first way of having an inventory to sell is a fairly expensive proposition from an inventory perspective. Just creating pieces because I feel like creating them, without also having a way to sell them, is a costly hobby.

Your suggestion about doing custom is a good one from the perspective of not having inventory, just making to order. I am very good at doing that face to face. I find out what they are looking for, draw sketches, show them samples, and gain their confidence through my ability to give timely information and advice. In fact for a while as I was transitioning to law full time, I worked as a shop manager for a Jared. The store people would bring me out onto the sales floor for the stated purpose of selling the custom mounting but really they were more interested in my selling the $20,000 diamond than the $3,000 mounting. (I know, punch me in the nose for selling unnecessary crap to people). I am very good at this. Doing it online, however, is more difficult. Jewelry is a face to face experience and gaining trust online seems unlikely. I suppose that with enough time one could become a sought out expert so that people would look past the impersonal delivery of the internet.

I feel like you're telling yourself why goldsmithing isn't a viable hobby, instead of why it IS. It also sounds like you want to do it, you just don't want it to suck you dry ;)

So, how can it be done? I can tell you that I took a silversmithing course from a goldsmith. It was great fun :) Could you explore teaching opportunities? He pitched the idea to the continuing studies dept of a local university. They tried it, and have expanded because his courses are full + waiting list, every time. This guy also makes jewellery and sells it online and at trade shows.

Worried about online presence not being good enough? Check out reviews on David from Diamonds by Lauren. This guy has such a good reputation, and most of his customers never get the chance to meet him! A lot of online and on the phone work.

Change your mindset. Find ways to support the things you want to do. If you do lawyer-y things once a week, does that give you enough mula to buy goldsmithing supplies? And like someone else said, work for YOU so you don't have to be busy during the holiday season.

I really think you could do this, and I wish you all the best!

Myself, I work at a jewellery store (and LOVE IT) and I'm taking GIA courses online. They're great fun, so that might be a nice hobby for you if you haven't already covered those bases. Feel free to send me a PM; I could talk about this stuff all day!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
I am free but how do I figure out my goals?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
Another example: this guy is only open 4 days a week: http://eriebasin.com/

I kind of forget, but I think www.annasheffield.com or www.ericaweiner.com (one of them?) has a showroom that is only open about once a week. Most of what they do is online.

Last idea: why not have an etsy shop? Check out "artemer". Gorgeous stuff. Made to order.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:20:39 AM by libraryjoy »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
You could do Skype appointments.